The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

3 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

I'm calling el-cheapo.  I hope you're right (there's that 4 letter word again, darn it).

Yeah, that water looks awful warm but give me a week or two to find my floaties.

Buffalo will be worse too.

2019 1st

2021 2nd

Bergrlund

Sobotka

Thompson

buffalo got pieces but none that will be ROR’s level or the potential to be.

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Red Wings sign Chris Terry.

When I saw this I laughed, forgot all about him. When I read further, it said that he lead the AHL in scoring (points) last season. Who knew.

I was stunned too. I went to total points in the A the other day and there he was, atop the heap.

Must be that sandpaper :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Garth Snow is just another name in the long list of incompetent Isles GMs...never should've been hired by them in the first place!  I was surprised that Rod didn't go after Dougie when he was let go.

Snow should have been banished for the DiPietro fiasco.

1 hour ago, Manwolf said:

I'm calling el-cheapo.  I hope you're right (there's that 4 letter word again, darn it).

I'm not ready yet to call el-cheapo. Here's why:

• TD views Darling as a business "asset" valued at 4 mil per year for 3 more years. The return on that asset was near zero last year. As a businessman, he can either write off Darling and pay 12 million to buy him out, or he can wait and see if Darling can be restored to value. Remember, for the three years prior to last year, Darling was 39-17 with a save pct of .923 and a GAA of 2.37. Everyone on this board was raving about Darling this time last year.

• Weigh the risk: If you jump the gun, buy out Darling, and the decision is wrong, you're out 12 million plus whatever it takes to pay a new #1 goalie and you might be throwing away a goalie with a lot of upside; if you wait and Darling cannot reclaim his value, then the team takes a temporary hit, you make a mid-season adjustment (Plan B), buy Darling out and your salary losses are the same. TD made a business decision: he apparently thought the potential upside was worth taking the risk of the potential downside.

• We have to assume that TD is following Darling's current progress closely and listening to RB about that.  If Darling's progress was not encouraging, the risk assessment likely would have gone the other way and we would have seen a different move. I just can't see TD doing this if RB was not on board.

• We tried to get Grubauer, but the Caps were not going to trade him to another team in the division. Maybe if we had made a much better offer? Still don't think the Caps would have given us Grubauer. There apparently were no good trades for a #1 goalie that could be made without us paying a severe price.

• That left the FA goalie market, which is horrible this year. Hutton and Khudobin were not coming here. Maybe Bernier or Halak, but not without us throwing a lot of $$$ at them with multiyear contracts. We then could have been left with two Scott Darlings instead one, if neither worked out. That pretty much left Mzarek and Lehner. We got Mzarek as a backup and temporary starter if Darling doesn't improve and we have to go to Plan B. The more I read about Lehner, the more I like Mzarek.

It seems to me that TD made a reasonable business decision that is not without a real downside risk, of course. But I don't think this decision was driven by a Karmanos-type cheapness. Time will tell.

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 6

I really like spy's el-cheapo breakdown on the goalies here.  It really all goes back to Francis in the end.

I'm into the magic beans, on this one, and the team should follow as what choice was there?

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

My thoughts on the el-cheapo is: the brain trust has known how long this day was coming?????

Brain trust? Don't you mean brain fart?

26 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I was stunned too. I went to total points in the A the other day and there he was, atop the heap.

Must be that sandpaper :D

?

I was going to mention the “grit” factor but I held back.

Too funny top.......??

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

driven

Quote:   seems to me that TD made a reasonable business decision that is not without a real downside risk, of course. But I don't think this decision was driven by a Karmanos-type cheapness. Time will tell.             Spyglass:      Using logic on the board will not be well received.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cc said:

Quote:   seems to me that TD made a reasonable business decision that is not without a real downside risk, of course. But I don't think this decision was driven by a Karmanos-type cheapness. Time will tell.             Spyglass:      Using logic on the board will not be well received.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind going forward. ?

31 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

My thoughts on the el-cheapo is: the brain trust has known how long this day was coming?????

Well, TD has been owner only for a few months. I realize that RF was responsible for bringing Darling here, but he can hardly be blamed. Just about everyone on this board wanted Darling and would have hung RF out to dry if he hadn't made the deal. The only one to blame is Darling. And he's the only one who can fix it. 

I'm curious, what do you think the brain trust should have done instead? Realistically.

Edited by spyglass88

I don’t think it is unfair to criticize TD and the committee.  So far he has shown he doesn’t want to pay market rate for a GM, coach, or his RFA’s.  The optics don’t look good so far.

I’m not even taking into account the crease issue.  The goalie situation was a mess and there really were no solutions out in Free agency this year.  Last year there were options, and Francis chose wrong. Can’t really blame TD for that one.

Until TD steps up and pays someone, we can only wonder.  When the team has someone like Aho up for a new contract, we’ll see what happens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

James Neal still looking for a home .   I wonder if he will sign cheap with us or not . 

Ive seen he has scared GMs off because he is looking for about 7 million over 6 years.  Teams aren’t willing to do that. Unconfirmed but plausible banter.

I listened to a radio analyst a couple weeks ago talking about how bad goalies have performed under Bill Peters system. Maybe this is something that Rod knows and he is confident that Darling can be restored.

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ive seen he has scared GMs off because he is looking for about 7 million over 6 years.  Teams aren’t willing to do that. Unconfirmed but plausible banter.

In that case nevermind .   7 is way too much a high number !   and 6 years ? yikes !!!

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

v

That's where I was this morning, regardless if we signed Lehner.

I'm glad we didn't go with Lehner. NHL Network commented that he was a problem. Showing up to training camp out of shape and over-weight. Not a good person in the locker-room either.