The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I really like spy's el-cheapo breakdown on the goalies here.  It really all goes back to Francis in the end.

I'm into the magic beans, on this one, and the team should follow as what choice was there?

At this point, I’m just glad Francis locked up Pesce and Slavin.

3 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

At this point, I’m just glad Francis locked up Pesce and Slavin.

I will give Franchise a TON of credit for stocking the cupboard with the prospects and the contracts...

But he lost me with his lack of movement at TDs and the UFA market.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ive seen he has scared GMs off because he is looking for about 7 million over 6 years.  Teams aren’t willing to do that. Unconfirmed but plausible banter.

Too much and too long. At a little less money for 3 or 4 years, I’d be interested. This is where the UFA overpay gets teams in trouble. It seems to be the rare UFA with the 5-7 year contract who does not leave his team with an overpay and cap issue in the last couple years. I think the Islanders got one year fro Ladd where he earned what hey paid him. 

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I will give Franchise a TON of credit for stocking the cupboard with the prospects and the contracts...

But he lost me with his lack of movement at TDs and the UFA market.

Agreed.

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Jack Johnson living up to the proper version of his last name:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23968111/coach-john-tortorella-rips-new-pittsburgh-penguin-jack-johnson-apparent-columbus-blue-jackets-slight

As if I needed any more reason to hate the Evil Empire...

Can’t believe they signed him for 5 years. He was. A healthy scratch in the playoffs. I hope this one bites JR and the steelguins HARD! 

I feel sorry for what JJ has had to go through with his family.  Who would think that their parents would do you like that?

but...

A 5 year deal on a guy who was a healthy scratch is a head scratcher.  Has he really had the type of career that would be worthy of that?  His agent must be good.

While reading the Canes press release this morning, in addition to realizing we had changed Mrazek into Mzarek sometime yesterday, I began to wonder if his being Czech may have been another plus in his column. With the high likelyhood that Necas is on the team this year and how much TT seemed to help Aho fit in, I can easily see that being considered. I can see it being a plus for Zykov in making the team. Having a teammate to talk to and ensure communication has got to be a plus in these young men's development. I don't think it should be major factor, just a plus when deciding between two similarly qualified options.

Edited by DevildogKodi
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kyrule said:

?

I was going to mention the “grit” factor but I held back.

Too funny top.......??

What's funny is that Chris Terry once actually appeared, to my jaundiced-by-the-total-lack-of-Canes'-grit eyeballs, to have grit. Pretty sad for a guy weaned on the Broad Street Bullies.

58 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

Can’t believe they signed him for 5 years. He was. A healthy scratch in the playoffs.

Rutherford's gonna Rutherford.

If Neal is in fact going to Calgary, SJ will be going hard on Skinner in the near future.  They have a ton of cap space and created a ton of space for Tavares.  The big FAs gone so Skinner or Patches are it.  

We try for one of their young RFA centers in Hertl and Tierney? If San Jose moves one, if not SJ will have to do futures.  

19 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

We will never know if the trades nixed by Skinner included a goalie. Perhaps we did try for a much better solution.

Rutherford and his habit of handing out NTCs like they're water.  The gift that keeps on giving.  Rutherford's gonna Rutherford Pt. II.

Let's get in the time machine and go back. Did anyone on here think the Payment or Term, that Washington signed to T.J. Oshie to, was crazy at the time? 

sleek it was when looking at their cap situation.  Still is but the league will bail these teams out eventually. They engineer the revenue train.

My guess is Skinner goes for a top for LHD that can handle the 2nd PP unit. Think Skinner for Maata.

Faulk will go for Skinner's replacement.  Think Faulk for Saad. 

Both of these trades would need additions for balance.  Might also depend on Skinner signing an extension.

The fist domino might be Pit trading fatty to San Jose to clear space.

I think the Saad for Faulk deal with Hossa attached would have went through before JVR was signed. Chicago was rumored to be really interested. That way Chicago could get a replacement and get better on D. I dont see it happening now.

16 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

sleek it was when looking at their cap situation.  Still is but the league will bail these teams out eventually. They engineer the revenue train.

Point taken, but I just look at it from this perspective; Yes most UFA's do get "overpaid". But isn't "paying" a UFA = "overpaying a UFA? It essentially it is a bidding war for talent, and will always be a gamble. I just think adding these pieces that are essentially, not always, but most of the time a guaranteed  level of production, are needed on some level. Oshie was essential to their Stanley Cup run. Is he an anchor at some point, eh, maybe? But they did get at least one Cup out of it. We've drafted well. We've even made a flahsy shake'em up trade. I'd just like to see management spend some cash now. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

all true sleek, cant argue with you there.

We will end up paying a bunch for Aho and Turbo in the upcoming off-season (maybe we can get them now before their price goes up another 1 million a year). 

Edited by gocanes0506

All that being said, we have no clue what sort of deals/offers were in the works, or what trades didn't manifest, so I'm trying to reserve judgement at least until I feel like we are done making transactions. So far I'm "Meh", on a scale of -Dear Lord Help Us to OMG Cup Here We Come-. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

Looking at the team, I really think the committee wants to move Faulk and Skinner. I know word is that they wanted to move one, but.... In GM remkin's view they should try to move both guys at this point.

We are now very out of balance on D. They are talking about Pesce on his off side, but that could take his game down a peg. Also, I think they were talking Pesce-Faulk. I'm fine with a strong defender trying to play D for Faulk, but on his off side? Having to both play your weak side and cover for "he who don't do defense?". Then there is the fact that Faulk giveth away more goals than he maketh, and the awkward Captain thing. I'm really thinking that all of Cole's words about Skinner getting away with playing soft and one way, apply to Faulk on D. 

Skinner? Well on the ice, he could be reformed as he showed from 2015-2017, but it seems that his falling back into bad habits last year was one straw too many for a management group that wants to change tone, and he is being shopped like he's standing next to one of those inflatable wacky wavy things. 

With the right deals, moving these two guys would put the final seal on the "change of culture" and would be worth doing if at all possible.

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

With the right deals, moving these two guys would put the final seal on the "change of culture" and would be worth doing if at all possible

How did we get here, where so many guys on our team play such a soft,nonchalant, passionless game, that the team has to be gutted?

Edited by sleekfeeder

9 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

How did we get here, where multiple guys on a team play such a soft,nonchalant, passionless game, that the team has to be gutted?

A gradual evolution sleek, thus the most difficult to recognize. Likely started with Eric Staal, and once things go astray like that, as we now witness, it's a slow and painful process to go back to the way Eric Cole remembers. EVERY coach has talked the "accountability" talk, but somewhere in the construct of Management-Coach chain, this has broken down. Hopefully a new day is dawning, the malingerers are being shed, and we will see a "club" being used, if nothing more than the "I've got your back" aura returns from the 06-07 team?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1