The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

Is JR crazy enough to do Skinner + Faulk for Maatta + Murray))))

JR was so sold on Murray that he extended his contract and then made sure Vegas took Fleury just to make sure he could keep him.  He'll give up the entire WBS roster before he lets Murray go.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

For those that haven't heard this Cole interview it's worth a listen.  Cole begins a rather interesting take on the Skinner situation around the 14:30 mark.

I listened, and I bet that attitude (if shared by others...and the coach) could lead to some issues in the room.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Neal is in fact going to Calgary, SJ will be going hard on Skinner in the near future.  They have a ton of cap space and created a ton of space for Tavares.  The big FAs gone so Skinner or Patches are it.  

We try for one of their young RFA centers in Hertl and Tierney? If San Jose moves one, if not SJ will have to do futures.  

We should ask for the sky if they want him badly. One of those two centers and Dell

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Let's get in the time machine and go back. Did anyone on here think the Payment or Term, that Washington signed to T.J. Oshie to, was crazy at the time? 

I think the term was way to much and will bring him to 39 years old.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

A gradual evolution sleek, thus the most difficult to recognize. Likely started with Eric Staal, and once things go astray like that, as we now witness, it's a slow and painful process to go back to the way Eric Cole remembers. EVERY coach has talked the "accountability" talk, but somewhere in the construct of Management-Coach chain, this has broken down. Hopefully a new day is dawning, the malingerers are being shed, and we will see a "club" being used, if nothing more than the "I've got your back" aura returns from the 06-07 team?

Remember TD was only here for a few months and his sample size was enough in his eyes regarding Skinner, Faulk, Hanifin and Lindholm. He want's 100% buy in. Regardless of how they played in the past his view was enough to make changes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Remember TD was only here for a few months and his sample size was enough in his eyes regarding Skinner, Faulk, Hanifin and Lindholm. He want's 100% buy in. Regardless of how they played in the past his view was enough to make changes.

I agree completely, and was attempting to make that point, ss02. Just trying to answer sleekfeeder's question.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

For those that haven't heard this Cole interview it's worth a listen.  Cole begins a rather interesting take on the Skinner situation around the 14:30 mark.

Thanks for that.  Wonder if Skinner listens to him any longer.  He should.

Cole has always been a guy who won't hold back.  I didn't like his signing with Montreal, but this sheds a little light into his thinking back then.

23 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I was stunned too. I went to total points in the A the other day and there he was, atop the heap.

Must be that sandpaper :D

Helps the stats when you’re not getting called up?

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Karlsson rumors are kicking around again. Would really love to a third wheel in that trade.

It's  a truly sad  story for Sens fans .   They are likely to lose their  " Tavares"  on defense because of  Eugene Melnyk  .   I have no clue as to what the contract  says but reports from  Pierre Dorion  being asked about Karlsson's  look on his face about the contract itself ,  Dorion said "  we are not going there "  .   That tells me  that things went from bad to worse for them . 

From the NHL web site itself  Headline on Karlsson 

Karlsson has permission to talk to other teams; trade possible: report

Defenseman, with contract offer from Senators, can seek extension elsewhere

Edited by Canesfanforever

On 7/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, cclifford10 said:

My guess is Skinner goes for a top for LHD that can handle the 2nd PP unit. Think Skinner for Maata.

Faulk will go for Skinner's replacement.  Think Faulk for Saad. 

Both of these trades would need additions for balance.  Might also depend on Skinner signing an extension.

The fist domino might be Pit trading fatty to San Jose to clear space.

I think not agreeing to trade with us for Faulk is an easy way for other clubs to respond to the improvements we've already made. i.e., by sticking us with him. I would not be one bit surprised to see Faulk in camp, on the clear understanding that he is competing for a roster slot just like everyone else.

Skinner is an interesting dilemma, the answer to which I still believe is putting him with bonafide top-six players and delaying his renewal (or non-renewal) 'til January. Assuming TVR gets a deal, I think he is more than capable of leading the 2PP. He often went coast-to-coast last year at 5v5. Doing it with a man advantage will not be an issue.

Not knowing what the keepers will give us, we need all the firepower we can get. We know what Skinner can do with players who can keep up with him. Putting everything on hold until January gives all parties a chance to make more informed decisions: Skinner will have a clearer picture of the contending teams (if we're not one of them), and might be more inclined to waive for one of them. If we are one and he's a big reason, we should pay him. If not, he will never bring us a better return from a team on the cusp than he will at the TD. 

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think not agreeing to trade with us for Faulk is an easy way for other clubs to respond to the improvements we've already made. i.e., by sticking us with him. I would not be one bit surprised to see Faulk in camp, on the clear understanding that he is competing for a roster slot just like everyone else.

Skinner is an interesting dilemma, the answer to which I still believe is putting him with bonafide top-six players and delaying his renewal (or non-renewal) 'til January. Assuming TVR gets a deal, I think he is more than capable of leading the 2PP. He often went coast-to-coast last year at 5v5. Doing it with a man advantage will not be an issue.

Not knowing what the keepers will give us, we need all the firepower we can get. We know what Skinner can do with players who can keep up with him. Putting everything on hold until January gives all parties a chance to make more informed decisions: Skinner will have a clearer picture of the contending teams (if we're not one of them), and might be more inclined to waive for one of them. If we are one and he's a big reason, we should pay him. If not, he will never bring us a better return from a team on the cusp than he will at the TD. 

A very well thought out plan, top. My only change would be that I'd really like to move Faulk, as with our acquisition of Hamilton, he's redundant at best. Trade him for a rugged LHD and futures if nothing else?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

A very well thought out plan, top. My only change would be that I'd really like to move Faulk, as with our acquisition of Hamilton, he's redundant at best. Trade him for a rugged LHD and futures if nothing else?

I don't think there's a GM in his right mind who will take on Faulk's NTC, including the one who gave it to him. Nor should they. Would not be surprised to see him waived--and no takers then, either.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Eklund says, so it must be true, that Boston is interested in Skinner and looking to move Krug.  Skinner for Krug? Krug would improve our offense, but his D is worse than Faulk. Of coarse pieces would probably be added.

3 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Eklund says, so it must be true, that Boston is interested in Skinner and looking to move Krug.  Skinner for Krug? Krug would improve our offense, but his D is worse than Faulk. Of coarse pieces would probably be added.

I'll pass on any defenseman whose defense is worse than Faulk's.  Ouch!

• Like 2

Worse things could happen than starting the season with Skinner and Faulk. Biggest downside is possibility that it interferes with needed culture change. Biggest upside, aside from hoping both play to their potential, is it gives us trade options if our goalie tandem ends up being a dumpster fire. Still think they’ll be traded before the season though.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:12 PM, super_dave_1 said:

I listened, and I bet that attitude (if shared by others...and the coach) could lead to some issues in the room.

Cole's point about the NTC is valid, and further proof that JR is an idiot. Outside of that, however, Cole just sounds bitter to me. I love how he completely omits Skinner's response when challenged to up his D game by Peters: Two consecutive career years. 

I loved Erik as a player. But it's pretty clear to me that our Canes "Ambassador" has been tasked with turning up the heat on Jeff to leave, and if I see him on the concourse, he's gonna hear about it from me. Does anyone actually believe that Adam Gold - the laziest beat reporter in hockey - is enterprising enough to get this interview at all, let alone in July? Here's what really went down: The club called "their" radio station and asked for airtime for their attack dog.

What a bunch of sh*tty things to say--and what a crappy, underhanded way for Tom Dundon to try to weasel out of a contract that he knew full well existed - and that he'd be liable for - when he bought the team.

Looking at our current roster on the main page, we have 11 LH forwards and 3 RH. I would not be surprised if we are looking for a right handed forward to replace Skinner.

Ironically, we are looking for a LHD to replace Faulk.

Edited by cclifford10

15 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Looking our current roster on the main page, we have 11 LH forwards and 3 RH. I would not be surprised if we are looking for a right handed forward to replace Skinner.

Amazing what one trade can do.  For years, it was all about how RHDs were premium assets for the Canes.  Now the tables have turned.  What a tangled web we weave...

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

Looking at our current roster on the main page, we have 11 LH forwards and 3 RH. I would not be surprised if we are looking for a right handed forward to replace Skinner.

We just signed LHD Calvin de Haan.

• Like 1