The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

13 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

You folks should familiarize yourself with De Haan.  I'm salivating over a potential Bean-Fox bottom pair.

I love this signing. I was looking at him this morning when I got the feeling that the TVR talks may Staal. The Isles loved DeHaan and he was a rock on D. He's a good shot blocker, he will hit and stand up for his mates.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Fox and Bean  are going to be lights out in the future for the Canes !

I hope we can sign Fox, and Bean is a crapshoot but I would go all in on him to be in the lineup as early as the next season at some point with injuries.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I hope we can sign Fox, and Bean is a crapshoot but I would go all in on him to be in the lineup as early as the next season at some point with injuries.

Fox  has made it clear that he will sign with the Canes when he  is done with College .    Which is only a few years away  really .    As for Bean  ,  When I was watching him at the Scrimmage game   this past Saturday I notice that He  is  really close  to that level of playing in the NHL , He is listed  to play next season with the Checkers  and get that Ice time  to help improve his skill and endurance  some  but from what I Saw he looked like he was at least 4 or 5  months out from Joining the Canes with his skill sets soon .   There are some things that need  improving  but  his potential seems to me like  he would progress fast if he was playing again  NHL level talent already .   Thats just my two cents .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

Late to the party.

I mentioned De Haan a ways back after the trade as a possible candidate to even out our left side. I like the signing, De Haan is a solid, reliable defensive defenseman.

I like the options and the leverage that it gives us.

Btw, I saw someone say that they weren’t familiar with Ferland. If you want to put a smile on your face, YouTube “Michael Ferland highlights.” Talk about sandpaper, this guy should wear a dog collar and be let off a leash every shift. Before the trade if you asked me to name the top three hitters in the NHL, Ferland would be one of the first guys that comes to mind. When he hits people, sometimes they get hurt, but he’s clean. As long as he isn’t damaged goods, he will be a fan favorite after about 20 games.

• Like 1

I had a hard time with the el-cheapo comments of the weekend during FA and not being able to say much.  Like nobody is doing anything.

Not so fast, I like what the committee is turning this team into...360 from the past.

Excited for more.

• Like 1

Waddell 2.0 and Dudley 10.0 get a solid A grade this season. They made more noteworthy financially responsible moves in one off season than during Ronnie’s entire stint. Speaking of Ronnie looks like he’ll be the bar fly in some Sault St. Marie corner bar this winter while watching Hockey Night in Canada and telling anyone who will listen how close he had the Canes to the playoffs.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Waddell 2.0 and Dudley 10.0 get a solid A grade this season. They made more noteworthy financially responsible moves in one off season than during Ronnie’s entire stint. Speaking of Ronnie looks like he’ll be the bar fly in some Sault St. Marie corner bar this winter while watching Hockey Night in Canada and telling anyone who will listen how close he had the Canes to the playoffs.  

Francis gave us the  future to be great with what he could , He gave us  Turbo  which Chicago is still upset about .   We are in a better place with what he left for the Canes because of the draft picks  than the last gm  JR   gave the canes by claiming to want to retire and then lying about that and saying he wanted 1 more cup and then lying about that also .   Francis will always have a special place in my heart and for that I Thank him for his years of service to the Team The City and to the Fans !

Edited by Canesfanforever

3 random comments:

-Ron Francis was the right GM at the right time, he deserves a lot of credit for giving us a prospect pool to be proud of and is generally recognized around the league. I remember reading an article a few years ago rating the prospect pools and we were near the bottom, now we are closer to the top.

-Calvin De Haan is saying all the right things. I really like his comments so far, seems like an intelligent guy with a ton of character who really wants to turn things around here. He was ranked as the #23 best player in his draft year, Isles traded up and took him at #12. Reading an article from one of the Islanders writers, it sounds like De Haan is really going to be missed. Writer stated that he thought De Haan would get about 5 million per year. Toronto was after him but the Isles were the last team eliminated, and as was said he likely left money on the table.

-Piggybacking off the above comment, it seems to me that TD may be a gut feeling kind of guy. I think he meets and talks with players and if he is impressed he will go after them, if not, he’ll pass. It’s just a hunch on my part but I think TD really puts a lot of stock into first/general impressions and the vibe that he gets when interacting with potential employees/players.

• Like 3

de Haan is a great addition.  Nice waking up to this news. Still very anxious about goaltending, but at least they'll have a better set of defenders helping out.  Would be great to add more by moving Faulk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hahaha, just flipped over to Ek's site, and not only are they not showing this, but the "tracker" has de Haan going to Toronto. Further proof of their ineptitude.

Help me out.  Is Ek ever right?  Why does the community still go to this guy?

7 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I love this signing. I was looking at him this morning when I got the feeling that the TVR talks may Staal. The Isles loved DeHaan and he was a rock on D. He's a good shot blocker, he will hit and stand up for his mates.

Standing up for team mates, is something our Canes have been missing for several years.. Hoping this group can gel... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Help me out.  Is Ek ever right?  Why does the community still go to this guy?

After the fact he's 100%!!! IDK why I specifically go, guess it's just old habit, which I'm a creature of? My perusals are few, here, Canes Corner and Hockey Buzz. Stick away from TSN for most part as can't stand the bias, but every once in awhile I drift over. So saying all that, I admit my hockey knowledge as coastal recently opined, is very limited. Need more sites to wander to, suggestions?

Edited by KJUNKANE

9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I'm "meh" over this signing...I think we overpaid...but I like the physicality.

Typical . Pillory Waddell and Dundon for not spending or changing anything then complain when they do. Like I heard Brett Hedican say one time when fans gave up on a game everyone should remember and began leaving.”we don’t need fans like that” Yes I’m calling out all you b and m negative crew.Get behind this team be positive. If not get out of the way and root for Pittsburgh or some other. Ok rant over for now.Not singling you out as there are others.You just had the best quote 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Cole's point about the NTC is valid, and further proof that JR is an idiot. Outside of that, however, Cole just sounds bitter to me. I love how he completely omits Skinner's response when challenged to up his D game by Peters: Two consecutive career years. 

I loved Erik as a player. But it's pretty clear to me that our Canes "Ambassador" has been tasked with turning up the heat on Jeff to leave, and if I see him on the concourse, he's gonna hear about it from me. Does anyone actually believe that Adam Gold - the laziest beat reporter in hockey - is enterprising enough to get this interview at all, let alone in July? Here's what really went down: The club called "their" radio station and asked for airtime for their attack dog.

What a bunch of sh*tty things to say--and what a crappy, underhanded way for Tom Dundon to try to weasel out of a contract that he knew full well existed - and that he'd be liable for - when he bought the team.

Maybe something happened behind the doors. Maybe committee expected or strongly asked Skins to waive for one of the offers and he didn't (and he had all the rights to do so).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Maybe something happened behind the doors. Maybe committee expected or strongly asked Skins to waive for one of the offers and he didn't (and he had all the rights to do so).

I'm sure that's exactly what happened. This reeks of the same tactics they used to unload RF.

TD, grow a pair, please. Man up enough to at least (1) fire guys outright and own it when you do, and to (2) either buy out guys you no longer want who exercise the rights their contracts give them, or freakin' pay them when they've earned it--instead of having Erik Cole do to them verbally what Brooks Orpik did to him physically. 

I'm thinking we have been negotiating terms with Nylander and will be trading for him soon.  I expect to see a Faulk for Nylander trade in the next day or so now that we know what kind of money he is wanting when he is up for renewal.

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Let's hope so. I really like TVR's game.

I'm right there with you on this top. Must say, though, that I am not seeing eye to eye on your take on Cole. Were you in attendance at the Draft Party( the broil out so to speak with temps over 100)? Cole spoke there, about Cam, and his( Cole's) passion for this team! Like you, I loved Cole's play, and equally seethed when he got traded at his negative comments at the time. Unlike you it seems, I believe Eric is deeply opinionated and speaks from the heart. I don't believe he's a "yes man" nor TD's puppet. I mean, what would that gain him? Further, he played alongside young Skinner, likely knows how he ticks, and I believe at that time literally adopted him, even to the point of letting him stay with them I believe. Thus, rather than appearing to "throw him under the bus", literally undermining Skins, I'd LIKE TO BELIEVE that Eric was trying to get the still youngster back on track, to be the player that he envisioned when Skinner 1st broke onto the scene.

• Like 3

I’m liking the new D.  Canes have an over abundance now.  There definitely will be a few more. I think the signing makes at least 2 D expendable.  Maybe Faulk and McKeown (sp?)

im just glad the Canes showed they will spend some $.  Makes me feel better about the situation 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm thinking we have been negotiating terms with Nylander and will be trading for him soon.  I expect to see a Faulk for Nylander trade in the next day or so now that we know what kind of money he is wanting when he is up for renewal.

May prove me wrong here bd58, but I think that getting Nylander is as close to a "pipe dream" as was us getting Tavares? Must say that the heady moves we've seen this off season certainly do give room to dream big, and I'm likely tainted by past off season "busts", but getting Nylander simply would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by KJUNKANE

1 hour ago, cc said:

.....Get behind this team be positive. If not get out of the way and root for Pittsburgh or some other. Ok rant over for now.....

I'm glad your rant is over since it is way of the mark.  You haven't been anointed the arbiter of who stays, goes or is a fan of this team.