The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Not sure where the rumblings were on Ferland not playing physical at the end of the year. I believe Ferland is fine and will continue his physical play. His playing time did decrease and his points decreased but his hitting didn't stop. I replied awhile back when I originally heard he was playing less physical.

"His ice time was reduced significantly at the end of the season and his scoring suffered as well. The one thing that didn't change much was his hitting. He had an 8 hit game 3/21, 5 hits on 3/24. Total of 171 hits last year up 22 from the previous year. Also had 30 blocked shots. Some guys are grumpy all the time".

Cool, i hope that's the case.  I think the rumblings about him playing less-physical came from the Flames board - i know i saw a couple posts there saying his hitting had decreased after an injury.  If he's still happy to hit, i'll still be happy to watch him do it.

12 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Ferland is the type of player I think will be popular with the Canes fans.  Sort of like Ruutu.  It will be nice to see a player that the opponents need to keep an eye on in fear of getting their block knocked off...

I think the biggest thing for Ferland is he a decent goal scorer or just a lucky one?  He scored all but one goals last season in the first half.  1 goal all second half.  So was he just lucky the first half?  With as streaky as Aho is in his first 20 then exploding, it would be great if Ferland could put in 15 goals in his first 20 games then come back to earth.  I'd be ok with it. What Ferland do we see most nights?

Edited by gocanes0506

I expect his game to be unchanged.I'm guessing that some of the injuries did effect his scoring. I would not be surprised if he and Darling develop a bond as they share something in common. A good sounding board for each other.  https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/micheal-ferland-opens-drinking-sobriety-path-forward/

Edited by slapshot02

Looking at the big picture and assuming that the moves made so far are all part of a bigger plan, then the final piece would be the exchange of Faulk for a legit top 6 forward, or in an ideal world a potential #1 goalie. IF that part happens, then this could be a masterful* offseason (IF at least one of the goalies gets his stuff together, and the other at least gets to average).

Say Faulk brings back say Schmaltz or Saad, or Pacioretty or RNH. Suddenly the rougher edged guys bringing the physical fit in nicely with the skilled guys. And it is a pretty fascinating series of moves to first shore up a relative strength, defense, (especially with a UFA like De Haan, where we give nothing up) and then use that to move the guy we've been wanting to move all along: Faulk. 

The main downside (aside from the massive risk in goal) is that we still need a 1C with hopes that eventually that could be Necas, or maybe Aho. But without getting bogged down in who plays center, we would have a really nice mix of skill, speed, talent, youth and experience if we make that final master move. 

Put any of those names or similar with: Aho, TT, Staal, Williams, Skinner, Svech, Necas, Paciorrety, and that's eight guys who are legit and 4 guys with legit 65 point chops and two rookies who could surprise, and a lot of two way players that will play both sides of the ice. Add in Ferland gritty winger who can score, and Zykov, McGinn, etc who are 4th liners who can score, and then a rock solid defense, and really this is a potentially very good team. 

Then thinking that we have the likes of Foegele, Bean, possibly Fox, Kuokannen, Gauthier, Roy, and more all pushing up, and, well, we just need a goalie.

Will we actually consummate that final piece? We shall see, but if we can, the only weakness could be in goal. A pretty big area to be weak in, but at least the management team would have a singular focus. And maybe, just maybe one or both of our guys in the pipes will stun the world and rock. OK that's my optimistic piece to offset my meh about our new assistant D coach.

*even without the final move, ESPN lists us in the top 5 off season improvers, so capping it off could be masterful. Though that title probably only applies if the big goalie gamble 4.0 works.

• Like 1

A bit more positive. A hockey vlogger picked Aho as one of his "5 guys who could/should breakout next year". 

Considering that he had that 14 game scoreless stretch to start the year, and is only heading into his 3rd season at 20 years old, this is not unreasonable. And this is a guy who actually tallied 65 points in 78 games. If one projects his average goals onto those 14 scoreless games, he goes to 70 points and 34 goals. In his second season.

Lots of stars break out in year three. Imagine breaking out from 65 points.  A ppg player is in reach. 

6 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Cool, i hope that's the case.  I think the rumblings about him playing less-physical came from the Flames board - i know i saw a couple posts there saying his hitting had decreased after an injury.  If he's still happy to hit, i'll still be happy to watch him do it.

Yeah, I read some similar comments from Flames fans discussing the trade on a big general board.  Who knows, maybe he was a bit hesitant when he first came back but reverted to form later, after many Flames fans had lost interest.  I just hope we don't get "Krugered". :o:P

20 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Stone makes it to Arbitration, is he available after that?  I know a squad that would love to pick him up!!

Not 100% sure, but my understanding is that the team and the player each submit a figure and the arbitrator picks the one that he feels is most fair.  If it's the team's offer, the only other option for the player is to sit out until the team's rights to the player expire.  

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Not 100% sure, but my understanding is that the team and the player each submit a figure and the arbitrator picks the one that he feels is most fair.  If it's the team's offer, the only other option for the player is to sit out until the team's rights to the player expire.  

I am also no expert on the details, but I think there is an option, if the team loses, for the team to walk away. This makes the player immediately a UFA. 

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

I am also no expert on the details, but I think there is an option, if the team loses, for the team to walk away. This makes the player immediately a UFA. 

Just looked it up and it appears that's the case, the team can walk away.  Seems kind of contrary to the whole spirit of arbitration, but if that's what the players negotiated . . .

33 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Just looked it up and it appears that's the case, the team can walk away.  Seems kind of contrary to the whole spirit of arbitration, but if that's what the players negotiated . . .

I think this is to be expected.  You're willing to pay "x" and ruling is no, you'll need to pay x+. Team can say no thanks, or pay it. 

I recall many years ago (baseball) where a guy had a career year and won.  Team said no thanks.  No other team agreed with the ruling either and he played in Minors and was not seen with exception of a "cup of coffee" afterwards.

I guess maybe we knew this, but for some reason the total this for that thing wasn't clear to me, but Scott Powers of the Athletic reported that the Blackhawks had an interest in both, as in together in the same deal, Faulk and Skinner. It went on to say that our asking price for both players was Nick Schmatlz and a first rounder. I'm presuming next year's, but that wasn't clear. Would you do that deal?

Looking more into Schmaltz, I would do it. 

Looking at all of the young guys we have and the pretty nice prospect pool, we are nearing a point where outside of goalie, we will benefit from getting picks to keep the long term thing going. And it is reasonable to predict that Chicago is not heading the right way. I hate to put it this way, but I'm not really sure that adding Skinner and Faulk but losing Schmaltz changes their short term trajectory that much. This is a team that finished 7 points below us with at -27 goal differential. Faulk does not tend to enhance that particular stat, nor really does Skinner. What I'm saying here, is that Chicago's pick is very possibly top 10 or better (they were in the 7 slot pre lottery this year and picked #8).

So what about Schmaltz? This is what I've picked up from serial scouting reports from pre college up to the middle of last season: this is a guy I'd want. He has always possessed superior playmaking center skills and hockey IQ. The knock had been goal scoring, speed, size, and going to the dirty areas. But he has developed and specifically improved in all of those areas leading to a very solid 52 point year, second only to Kane in points on the team. 

This was the most recent fantasy scouting assessment with well over half of last year under his belt:

February 2018-  Schmaltz has solidified his position as a top six forward, as his game has progressed at warp speed this year. He is bigger, faster and makes plays in areas he never went to before. His chemistry with both Kane and Debrincat gives the Hawks several options that they didn’t have in the past. A solid keeper in every league now. Tony Carr

This is a high skilled center who could dish to any number of our bevy of wingers and for good measure he put in 21 goals too. He is also only 22 no where near typical peak. He plays a decent two way game too. In terms of replacing Skinner's points, he outscored Skinner last year. And he is a center. And he's a plus 11 in his two year career. 

It's very hard as fans to look down the road too far, especially if you be out of the playoffs forever, but that draft pick, in next year's supposedly deep draft, really could end up being an elite talent that will arrive just when we need him. And we'd have two picks which allows at least one to be flipped for a needed player (cough* goalie * cough) and still have a pick. 

The thing is its hard to see Chicago making that deal. They need to retool if not rebuild, so giving up your highest scoring center and a possibly high first rounder seems counterintuitive. But GM's sometimes like to get an immediate pop, and they may think this bumps them back up with Duncan Keith now 35, and Kane and Toews heading over the 30 threshold, may think the time is now.

And we do love to trade with Chicago. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess maybe we knew this, but for some reason the total this for that thing wasn't clear to me, but Scott Powers of the Athletic reported that the Blackhawks had an interest in both, as in together in the same deal, Faulk and Skinner. It went on to say that our asking price for both players was Nick Schmatlz and a first rounder. I'm presuming next year's, but that wasn't clear. Would you do that deal?

Looking more into Schmaltz, I would do it. 

Looking at all of the young guys we have and the pretty nice prospect pool, we are nearing a point where outside of goalie, we will benefit from getting picks to keep the long term thing going. And it is reasonable to predict that Chicago is not heading the right way. I hate to put it this way, but I'm not really sure that adding Skinner and Faulk but losing Schmaltz changes their short term trajectory that much. This is a team that finished 7 points below us with at -27 goal differential. Faulk does not tend to enhance that particular stat, nor really does Skinner. What I'm saying here, is that Chicago's pick is very possibly top 10 or better (they were in the 7 slot pre lottery this year and picked #8).

So what about Schmaltz? This is what I've picked up from serial scouting reports from pre college up to the middle of last season: this is a guy I'd want. He has always possessed superior playmaking center skills and hockey IQ. The knock had been goal scoring, speed, size, and going to the dirty areas. But he has developed and specifically improved in all of those areas leading to a very solid 52 point year, second only to Kane in points on the team. 

This was the most recent fantasy scouting assessment with well over half of last year under his belt:

February 2018-  Schmaltz has solidified his position as a top six forward, as his game has progressed at warp speed this year. He is bigger, faster and makes plays in areas he never went to before. His chemistry with both Kane and Debrincat gives the Hawks several options that they didn’t have in the past. A solid keeper in every league now. Tony Carr

This is a high skilled center who could dish to any number of our bevy of wingers and for good measure he put in 21 goals too. He is also only 22 no where near typical peak. He plays a decent two way game too. In terms of replacing Skinner's points, he outscored Skinner last year. And he is a center. And he's a plus 11 in his two year career. 

It's very hard as fans to look down the road too far, especially if you be out of the playoffs forever, but that draft pick, in next year's supposedly deep draft, really could end up being an elite talent that will arrive just when we need him. And we'd have two picks which allows at least one to be flipped for a needed player (cough* goalie * cough) and still have a pick. 

The thing is its hard to see Chicago making that deal. They need to retool if not rebuild, so giving up your highest scoring center and a possibly high first rounder seems counterintuitive. But GM's sometimes like to get an immediate pop, and they may think this bumps them back up with Duncan Keith now 35, and Kane and Toews heading over the 30 threshold, may think the time is now.

And we do love to trade with Chicago. 

I suggested Schmaltz   about a week or two ago   and im happy more and more people  are agreeing  that  he is a special player .   He has the ability to play the wing if need be   but I would doubt that is needed for now unless the canes  felt confident  in Necas  playing center  right away .    As for Chicagos  1st round pick , that could potentially be huge  if  they were to slip in a top ten spot this year  .  Imagine that !   I dont have any delusions of  the pick being a lottery pick  but  anything is possible lol .  

I would do Schmaltz and a first for Faulk and Skinner, but I’m not sure why Chicago would do this when Skinner is only under contract for one more year and Faulk for two. And Chicago might not be able to afford what it will take to resign both players. But if they would do the deal, I’d be on board.

I wonder if one or both guys being willing to sign in Chicago would be a condition, because otherwise they are trading a whole lot of future for a little bit of now. But I'd be willing to relieve them of our their future. Of course the deal has not happened, so it could be they agree.

59 minutes ago, remkin said:

I wonder if one or both guys being willing to sign in Chicago would be a condition, because otherwise they are trading a whole lot of future for a little bit of now. But I'd be willing to relieve them of our their future. Of course the deal has not happened, so it could be they agree.

I don't  know where Waddell stands on this  .   I can only assume where  Dundon does and that he wants the team to be a win now  team  and Im  like , Don't you need to be  in the playoffs for a couple of years already before you start going down that road ?    A 1st round pick has never hurt anyone  , and yes there is a risk factor  if you have a bad gm and bad scouting and a bad owner   then the pick might be bad .   I would hope that is not the case for the Canes !  Maybe the canes are not to high on the draft pick  and would rather  get someone  back other than a pick .   The really good teams  that do win would make this trade and pick up someone stellar  for next year in the draft .   So the question is ,   " Our we  one of those teams or are we just pretending to be " .  ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

From Lighthouse Hockey who cover the NYI on Calvin De Haan:

de Haan’s game isn’t flashy or the type that ends up on a lot of highlights or box scores. He’s more about being smart and steady in his own end and keeps the puck moving in the right directions.

de Haan is also incredibly nice, funny guy and one of the most underrated Twitter follows in the NHL

I guarantee before the end of the season, a subsection of fans will declare his free agent contract a waste and say he’s not doing anything out there. Then when he’s gone, your team suddenly can’t retrieve the puck in its own zone any more and opposing forwards are allowed to roam unobstructed, making matters even worse. It happened to us and it can happen to you

To me this is what we need. A guy who plays defense "smart and steady", but also moves the puck out and up, takes his game serious, but is good in the locker room. That "gray beard" type with solid skill and hockey IQ. The two upgrades on D are impressive with what they bring. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, remkin said:

o me this is what we need. A guy who plays defense "smart and steady", but also moves the puck out and up, takes his game serious, but is good in the locker room. That "gray beard" type with solid skill and hockey IQ. The two upgrades on D are impressive with what they bring. 

In the mould of Hedican,Wesley,

Edited by cc

1 hour ago, remkin said:

From Lighthouse Hockey who cover the NYI on Calvin De Haan:

de Haan’s game isn’t flashy or the type that ends up on a lot of highlights or box scores. He’s more about being smart and steady in his own end and keeps the puck moving in the right directions.

de Haan is also incredibly nice, funny guy and one of the most underrated Twitter follows in the NHL

I guarantee before the end of the season, a subsection of fans will declare his free agent contract a waste and say he’s not doing anything out there. Then when he’s gone, your team suddenly can’t retrieve the puck in its own zone any more and opposing forwards are allowed to roam unobstructed, making matters even worse. It happened to us and it can happen to you

To me this is what we need. A guy who plays defense "smart and steady", but also moves the puck out and up, takes his game serious, but is good in the locker room. That "gray beard" type with solid skill and hockey IQ. The two upgrades on D are impressive with what they bring. 

Agree on this but it’s what we had in Ron Hainsey who I saw get B slapped an awful on these boards (too old, too slow). Of course then he goes to Pit gets top 4 minutes and a Cup. Then signed a nice deal with the Leafs. Canes have been a grotesque revolving door of players since ‘06. Would be a plus to see that end. 

On 7/17/2018 at 4:37 PM, slapshot02 said:

I expect his game to be unchanged.I'm guessing that some of the injuries did effect his scoring. I would not be surprised if he and Darling develop a bond as they share something in common. A good sounding board for each other.  https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/micheal-ferland-opens-drinking-sobriety-path-forward/

Great to hear.

40 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Listening to Dundon's interview it sounds like Skinner might not be going anywhere  WRAL

It might just be me, but he doesn't sound like a very likeable guy.

16 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

It might just be me, but he doesn't sound like a very likeable guy.

Sounds a lot more likable to me than the two yahoos who interviewed him.

• Like 7