The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Does this really need it's own topic. We already have a trade thread and trade Faulk thread. Should I combine them into one topic?

It would be nice - on more than one occasion i've logged on, seen the title of this thread, and for a split second thought something had happened, before remembering.  That's one of the things i've always liked about this forum, that the threads were streamlined and we didn't have a thousand superfluous threads.  That seems to have changed this summer, however.

Merged the Faulk for Patches thread to here.  (YAY didnt mess it up).  Understand a couple of posts may not make sense discussing stand alone topics that arent in a stand alone topic anymore.

Back to regularly scheduled activities.......

Speculation in Montreal that Patches may not report for Training Camp.  Good ole media and claiming bloggers are protected media leads to all kinds of craziness coming out.

IF true does this reduce his value in a trade and/or turn off teams?  

• Like 1

At this point I do feel like, if we don't pick up at least a Saad or (even better) a Patch, we have basically reshuffled the deck (chairs), in hopes that new line chemistries, youthful enthusiasm, and higher elbows can convert this PT boat to a destroyer.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

At this point I do feel like, if we don't pick up at least a Saad or (even better) a Patch, we have basically reshuffled the deck (chairs), in hopes that new line chemistries, youthful enthusiasm, and higher elbows can convert this skiff to a cruise ship.

TT-Aho-Svech

McGinn-Staal-Williams

DGP-Rask-Zykov

That top 9 just looks really weak IMO.

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

TT-Aho-Svech

McGinn-Staal-Williams

DGP-Rask-Zykov

PDG and Rask aren’t in top 9

ZAT

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Ferland-Necasnichov 

Martinook-Rask-Foegele/PDG

we arent putting Necas on the team to play him 8 minutes a game on the 4th line.

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

PDG and Rask aren’t in top 9

ZAT

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Ferland-Necasnichov 

Martinook-Rask-Foegele/PDG

we arent putting Necas on the team to play him 8 minutes a game on the 4th line.

I totally forgot about Ferland.  Still looks iffy.

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

TT-Aho-Svech

McGinn-Staal-Williams

DGP-Rask-Zykov

Especially that DGP guy! :P

But seriously, insert Ferland and take out PDG and it looks a lot better. With Necas a wild card.  (not that I don't think we need to add another top 9 forward) 

If McGinn (and for that matter Willy) is in the top six, this getting the #2 pick was pointless.

I love the guy's physicality and high cheese, but he's a solid third liner. If we don't get Saad or Patch, and don't put Zeke and Svech in the top six right outta the gate, we will not have done anything to improve our top six.

TT-Aho-Zeke

Ferland-Staal-Svech

McGinn-Necas/Rask-Willy

Martinook-Rask/Foegele-PDG

If we add Saad or Patch, it likely bumps Ferland to the third, and Ginner to the fourth (all shoot left).

Staal is the shutdown guy, which is why McGinn and Williams are with him.  Him being the 2nd line center in projections is really based on pay and expected usage.  Rask will be the backup shutdown guy with Martinook and Foegele/PDG.

Aho and Necas' lines will be used in favorable situations with more scoring opportunities since they arent strong in the circle/use to playing center full time. I fully expect Staal with McGinn and Williams to get a good share of ice time as the shutdown/possession line.  Staal hasnt cut it as an offensive force despite having our two best forwards as his line mates.  I really hope we dont hinder the offensive abilities of Svech, Necas, Aho or Turbo by putting them with Staal, knowing he will get the lion's share of defensive draws and 1st line defensive assignments.  

Necas may be put in only offensive situations only to start because he is a rookie but he needs to be paired with other speedsters.  Let them draw penalties with their speed and put pressure on the D.  I like Willy but he isnt the right line mate for Necas.  

If Faulk can choose 15 teams he would go to, I’m betting Ottawa is not on the list. Duchene would be a nice pickup,though, if we could make that happen (with an extension). Would take Faulk plus, but we have a lot of plus to offer. I think there was a post or two about Duchene already when he was in Colorado.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I like Willy but he isnt the right line mate for Necas. 

You're right. Why put a veteran goal scorer, with a reputation for clutch performances and mentoring young players (Willy), with your newly minted center (Necas), and a guy on the other flank who'll respond to the cheap shots said center will be getting as part of his indoctrination to the best league in the world? And who starts the season having played exactly one game in said league? 

And why put your other highly-touted newbie with another vet? Who happens to be one of the best centers in the league, whatever zone he's starting in? And who is known to make everyone he plays with better?

I get the desire to just put the kids together and let them fly, and I think in the case of the first line you'll see that. But two of those guys, while young, are not babes in the woods (in the crosshairs is more like it), and the other is ready for the NHL. But Svech and Necas? Do we really know?

This isn't juniors or the Czech league. This is an 82-game slog through the toughest barns and some of the largest geography in hockey. A big part of learning to cope with the demands of that is pacing yourself, and knowing how to respond when you get set on your @$$, because it's going to happen in your rookie year. A lot.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

Williams is a poor fit for Necas because of speed. Necas is fast, game changing fast.  Williams can't keep up.

Don’t bother 

I wonder if we might have some interest?

TSN :Report: Leafs shopping Marlies goalie Pickard

Acquired from the Vegas Golden Knights last fall, Pickard appeared in only one game for the Leafs last season, but helped the club's American Hockey League affiliate Toronto Marlies capture the Calder Cup.

49 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I wonder if we might have some interest?

TSN :Report: Leafs shopping Marlies goalie Pickard

26yo, average AHL and NHL stats.  Seems like it might depend on scouting: does mgmt think there's a better chance of him succeeding than either Darling or Mrazek?  Unless the answer is a pretty clear "yes", I can't see giving up assets for him.  Maybe if he was available free on waivers?

Yeah, i don't see the Canes giving up anything for another goaltender unless it's a 'sure thing'.  Someone off waivers or a PTO, maybe, but there are already enough uncertain darts to throw for now.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:48 PM, cclifford10 said:

Williams is a poor fit for Necas because of speed. Necas is fast, game changing fast.  Williams can't keep up.

Willy is a lot of things. Slow isn't one of them.

24 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Williams was never particularly fast.  He is REALLY not fast at this point in his career.

Perhaps you should watch him play sometime. He is always in the thick of things.

Willy has played as long as he has despite three injuries that might have ended others' careers because he has an efficiency of motion and ability to anticipate the play that only comes with 19 NHL seasons and 1300+ games (including playoffs). Necas' biggest problem will be thinking as fast as Willy.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Adam Gold article on WRAL.com was mostly what we all know, but he did throw the idea of Faulk for Nasim Kadri out there. 

Interesting idea. He plays with an edge, probably even a bit dirty, but then we are trying to get harder to play against, and the guy is a center and did put up 32 goals each of the past two years. 

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Adam Gold article on WRAL.com was mostly what we all know, but he did throw the idea of Faulk for Nasim Kadri out there. 

Interesting idea. He plays with an edge, probably even a bit dirty, but then we are trying to get harder to play against, and the guy is a center and did put up 32 goals each of the past two years. 

I'd be good with Kadri, although he is borderline dirty. The Leafs sure don't need him anymore.

28 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Perhaps you should watch him play sometime. He is always in the thick of things.

Willy has played as long as he has despite three injuries that might have ended others' careers because he has an efficiency of motion and ability to anticipate the play that only comes with 19 NHL seasons and 1300+ games (including playoffs). Necas' biggest problem will be thinking as fast as Willy.

I watched him.  Last year he had a tendency to hold onto pucks too long and make poor passes that were easily intercepted.  He also took a lot of penalties.  All this could be an artifact of the team play around him, but maybe it was on him.  Hope that improves.  Other than that, I'm thankful for his experience and leadership.

He has lost a step though.  I wouldn't call him slow unless he was paired with two guys that can fly.