The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think Darling, Mzarek, and the Canes are tied to the hip for this season.  Personally, I don't see any interest.

Just a gut feel that Mzarek is the guy who is going to turn it around. No stats, No inside reporting, no facts other than a gut feel.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd be good with Kadri, although he is borderline dirty. The Leafs sure don't need him anymore.

Kadri has been suspended four times. That's more than borderline. On the other hand, Orpik has only been suspended three times.

Brind’Amour or Williams himself even joked about Justin being slow. It was something along the lines of “He/I still know how to get to the open areas, it just takes me awhile to get there.”

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Brind’Amour or Williams himself even joked about Justin being slow. It was something along the lines of “He/I still know how to get to the open areas, it just takes me awhile to get there.”.

Ha, I remember that, it was hilarious when he said it.  I have no idea how the lines will shake out.  Seems harder to predict this year now that we have fewer pluggers for grinding lines and more pure skill.

I really hope Brindy goes in a different direction than Peters, and finds some lines that can stick early.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OBXer said:

I wonder if we might have some interest?

TSN :Report: Leafs shopping Marlies goalie Pickard

Reading the article, Toronto has 4 goalies on one-way contracts. All but Andersen make under a million. Sparks an McIlhenney both look like they would be worth a try. Pickard did okay in the A, but Sparks had a much better record and better numbers. Pickard is the obvious candidate to go, but at this point, I don’t see him as an upgrade over Darling or Mrazek. If one of them is crapping the bed 20 games in, maybe we give Toronto a call. They aren’t going to part with the top 3, I’m pretty sure. What a nice problem to have. 

12 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Kadri has been suspended four times. That's more than borderline. On the other hand, Orpik has only been suspended three times.

Point taken, but I'd still take Kadri over that criminal every day of the week. 

• Like 1

because its Ek and he is usually just trying to keep the viewer ship up, he said that a Faulk trade is down to four serious teams......

Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo, and Boston.

Would really see any now players from those 4?  I doubt it.  Edmonton doesnt have the forward depth to trade one.  Toronto may trade someone to have enough room for Nylander (but doubtful), Does Buffalo have someone we want they would be willing to move (again doubtful), and Boston is trying to keep up with toronto and TB (so again highly doubtful).

We would need to take on about 2 million to stay above the floor so there is that.  

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

because its Ek and he is usually just trying to keep the viewer ship up, he said that a Faulk trade is down to four serious teams......

Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo, and Boston.

Would really see any now players from those 4?  I doubt it.  Edmonton doesnt have the forward depth to trade one.  Toronto may trade someone to have enough room for Nylander (but doubtful), Does Buffalo have someone we want they would be willing to move (again doubtful), and Boston is trying to keep up with toronto and TB (so again highly doubtful).

We would need to take on about 2 million to stay above the floor so there is that.  

Faulk for Kadri might make some sense. We are trying to get tougher and we could use a center and Kadri replaces Skinner's goals. Would we have to add to Faulk? Kadri is signed for more years, but a pretty dang reasonable deal. Probably have to add.

23 minutes ago, remkin said:

Skinner for Kadri might make some sense.

Unless there is some humor in your post, remkin, firstly we need to get Skinner back... (that's what I suggested) :)

Edited by Caniac514

1 minute ago, Caniac514 said:

Unless there is some humor in your post, remkin, firstly we need to get Skinner back... (that's what I suggested) :)

Caught it, but just a second too late. Do you think we'd have to add to Faulk for Kadri?

I'm wondering if Faulk is fair value for Kadri straight up or if we have to add something to the mix. I agree that Kadri is a sort of a punk, but then we are looking to quickly change the idea that we're too easy to play against. Ferland and Martinook, and maybe Hamilton and de Haan will all help, but Kadri is one of those guys people have to be aware of where he is when he's out there. And he puts up 30 goals and he's a center.

Anyone know if he has issues as a teammate? 

Even Montreal didn’t get a first for their 1 year left goal scorer and Patches is a more complete player than Skinner.

Can Tatar bounce back?  Suzuki and a 2nd are a nice get even if he doesn’t.

Vegas gave up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for Tatar.

They essentially traded a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, a third round pick, and Suzuki for Pacioretty going forward and one year of Tatar.

Pacioretty is set to become a UFA after the season but I think he’ll sign an extension with Vegas.

That’s a lot of future assets but if they think they have a chance for a cup I guess they are willing to go for it. There is also the need for Vegas to continue to keep the momentum going so that they can build a foundation of long-term fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Vegas gave up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for Tatar.

They essentially traded a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, a third round pick, and Suzuki for Pacioretty going forward and one year of Tatar. 

While this is a creative way to attempt to make a point,going back to previous teams deal is a stretch. 

As an example assuming we could trade a current unamed goaltender and get the same return as we paid for him before his most recent performance.

Tater as 34 points and a minus 19.  That bears on his current worth.

Just saying

There is a reason people thought McPhee isn’t a good GM. This whole deal is just an example.  

I wonder if Montreal is looking to flip Tatar. I’d take him. He has 3 years 5.3 million deal. It isn’t a long term and plays into our roster needs, could replace Skinner’s scoring, and he has had 60-90 hit seasons.  His plus minus was -19 last season but had decent stats when Detroit was good.

In terms of comparing what we got for Skinner, Suzuki is a much better prospect than Pu (I hope Pu ends up being great, but Suzuki has a better shot at at) he was #14 overall. Further, while Tatar had trouble fitting in with Vegas, he was on pace in Detroit for his third consecutive 20 + goal season as a proven 45-50 point NHL forward. 

I am guessing Vegas thinks they have a strong chance of signing him, and we probably did not, but I still think that this team could use a guy for one year that is clockwork 20G 50P. To GoCane's point, it is worth wondering what Montreal might take for Tatar coming off that bad season. Thing is Montreal needs now scoring even more than we do (especially after letting Pacioretty go). But, at least theoretically, if they are looking for more picks and maybe a lower level prospect, Tartar is still a pretty good bet for 20G 45 points.

as I understand it, Tatar was a dump and that why Suzuki was moved and the move is contingent on Patches signing an extension.

Montreal does need scoring but maybe Montreal is looking to go full tank to win the Hughes sweepstakes.  

A middle of Hughes, Kotkaniemi, and Poehling would be pretty solid in a couple of years and they need centers.  

If the move is contingent on Patches signing, then it's a pretty good deal for Vegas IMO. They do dump the Tatar mistake, and still get several years of pretty prime Pacioretty, assuming he bounces back from last year (which I think is a pretty good bet). When I look at us in all of this, sure, some may think Pacioretty is over the hill and we have so much promising youth, but I think he would have helped us a lot despite having to re-sign him. But whatever one thinks about that, it's pretty likely Pacioretty would not commit to signing here. 

Until we start winning and stop having the other team out draw us in our own building, guys with say generally won't come here. Of course DeHaan shows you never know, but as a rule. So, like the idea of Pacioretty or not, he would have been a one year rental for us, and therefore we could not match the return of a team that can sign him.

This is why we might need to get a guy with some term and no NTC in a trade to really get value in the short run. Of course once we start winning and filling the building it will all improve.