The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Patches signed for 4 x 7 million deal.  Surprised LV got him to sign for less than 5 years.  Good deal for them as he should still be producing through the contract. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Patches signed for 4 x 7 million deal.  Surprised LV got him to sign for less than 5 years.  Good deal for them as he should still be producing through the contract. 

Yeah, that is stunning. I expected him to insist on at least 6 years. I suspect his loudmouth agent did, and teams just said no. Good on 'em.

I hope we get the Aho deal done quickly.  I would love for us to know our wiggle room as soon as possible and go get one of the Senators soon to be FAs (Duchene or Stone).  Man if you wanna watch an organization that is imploding, watch that 5 minute interview from the Senators' owner last night.  They have 10 new guys playing this year and expect 5 more next year.  5 more next year tells me that their FAs wont be back.  We have enough soon to be roster guys to get this done

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I hope we get the Aho deal done quickly.  I would love for us to know our wiggle room as soon as possible and go get one of the Senators soon to be FAs (Duchene or Stone).  Man if you wanna watch an organization that is imploding, watch that 5 minute interview from the Senators' owner last night.  They have 10 new guys playing this year and expect 5 more next year.  5 more next year tells me that their FAs wont be back.  We have enough soon to be roster guys to get this done

I didn't hear that interview.  I heard one with the GM of MTL.  That was kind of freaky too.

Do you all think that some of these GMs are planning for the next CBA?  BTW, when does the current one expire?  That could be a nagging issue.

3 hours ago, pepcane said:

Do you all think that some of these GMs are planning for the next CBA?  BTW, when does the current one expire?  That could be a nagging issue.

Could be as early as '20-'21, thanks to an opt-out clause either side can exercise if they choose. Uber-detailed primer on the key issues here.

Between the next CBA and another round of expansion (Seattle), GMs have a lot to think about.

• Like 1

Karlsson just traded to the Sharks!!!

Senators are the laughing stock.  They got an absolute awful return for Karlsson.

Edited by gocanes0506

Some think Karlsson might have had a slight blocking effect on Faulk moving. Not sure about that, but combined with Rask's injury, maybe something shakes loose. 

• Like 1

Well much like the Skinner deal, San Jose didnt sign Karlsson to an extension.  

I hope we can could get Duchene for a low return (everyone else without an extension isnt getting a lot). Kadri may be an option if Nylander is signed for around  8 million.  Wont be aford everyone at that point.

Edited by gocanes0506

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Nylander is signed for around  8 million

Is it for sure? I didn't see it in the news. Just this morning I heard he is still abroad and the parties try to work a deal...

Just now, Caniac514 said:

Is it for sure? I didn't see it in the news. Just this morning I heard he is still abroad and the parties try to work a deal...

nope, typo.  If not is.  sorry

2 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

ah, OK... Yeah, the rumor is "his ask may have been around $8M or higher". We can't afford him, can we?

We could.  Toronto cant afford him, Kadri, JT, Matthews, and Marner.  Do they sacrifice Kadri to keep Nylander at that dollar amount?  

22 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Karlsson just traded to the Sharks!!!

Senators are the laughing stock.  They got an absolute awful return for Karlsson.

Yeah, but fear the Shark. That team is now crazy good.

20 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I hope we can could get Duchene for a low return (everyone else without an extension isnt getting a lot). Kadri may be an option.

Of the two, Kadri fits the new team profile. Duche=soft.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, but fear the Shark. That team is now crazy good.

Karlsson and Burns have each put up 20 + goals and Burns almost put up 30 goals 2 years ago. 

Just imaging that double-barreled scoring from the blueline is pretty amazing. 

44 minutes ago, remkin said:

Karlsson and Burns have each put up 20 + goals and Burns almost put up 30 goals 2 years ago. 

Just imaging that double-barreled scoring from the blueline is pretty amazing. 

Imagine how good they could’ve been if they landed JT!!!  I thought all along that was the place to go for him.

This came right after a discussion about the Leafs considering trading Nylander if he doesn't sign soon:

Maple Leafs and Hurricanes talked about Faulk, but it didn’t go far

Chris Nichols of Nichols on Hockey: Pierre LeBrun was on TSN 1050 talking about Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk, who could potentially be moved. The 26-year old is a top-four defenseman who is under contract through next season at a $4.833 million cap hit.

“I was told this summer that to some degree Carolina and Toronto did talk about him, but it didn’t go anywhere. And that might just be that Kyle Dubas was calling around the league to start getting a foundation for what’s out there over the next 12 months, who knows. But I do know that there was at least a conversation about him. But he’d be the obvious – not the obvious fit, but an obvious fit in terms of being a right-handed, top-four guy.”

LeBrun thinks that the Hurricanes are likely wanting a team to pay a “huge price” for Faulk, and a team like the Maple Leafs may not be interested in doing that right now.

2 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

This came right after a discussion about the Leafs considering trading Nylander if he doesn't sign soon:

Maple Leafs and Hurricanes talked about Faulk, but it didn’t go far

Chris Nichols of Nichols on Hockey: Pierre LeBrun was on TSN 1050 talking about Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk, who could potentially be moved. The 26-year old is a top-four defenseman who is under contract through next season at a $4.833 million cap hit.

“I was told this summer that to some degree Carolina and Toronto did talk about him, but it didn’t go anywhere. And that might just be that Kyle Dubas was calling around the league to start getting a foundation for what’s out there over the next 12 months, who knows. But I do know that there was at least a conversation about him. But he’d be the obvious – not the obvious fit, but an obvious fit in terms of being a right-handed, top-four guy.”

LeBrun thinks that the Hurricanes are likely wanting a team to pay a “huge price” for Faulk, and a team like the Maple Leafs may not be interested in doing that right now.

I think this nails it on Faulk. We need to win now. Until a really good return presents itself, he stays. Someone commented on San Jose’s back end scoring with Burns and Karlsson. We’re not quite at that level, but with Hamilton and Faulk, our D has the potential to score a lot of goals. I know all of the knocks on Faulk’s defensive game, but management must have weighed all of that and decided for now the good outweighs the bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think this nails it on Faulk. We need to win now. Until a really good return presents itself, he stays. Someone commented on San Jose’s back end scoring with Burns and Karlsson. We’re not quite at that level, but with Hamilton and Faulk, our D has the potential to score a lot of goals. I know all of the knocks on Faulk’s defensive game, but management must have weighed all of that and decided for now the good outweighs the bad.

I understand your thoughts here, bluedevilcane, but "until a really good return presents itself", to me is a relative thought in this instance. Let me explain my reasoning. Our team's current scoring/defending potential is very fluid at best, is it not? By this, I mean we really don't have any idea how all the parts are going to fit together, what the large number of veterans and youngsters just brought aboard this off season. With just 2 preseason games under their belts, and really the final team not having been assembled yet, we do not know how the final puzzle will look. It could be that the assembly will be seamless, or we could be left wanting for a glaring missing piece? If the latter occurs, a "good return" could take on a radically different look than it does at present. Thus, for instance, a Nylander type scorer may be viewed as a much more valuable piece than the redundancy that a Faulk-like defender gives us(you do realize that I say Nylander type and Faulk-like, thus not necessarily those specific players). Thus, I think that 10 or so games may be necessary to truly determine what our needs are for us to move forward, or as you put it, "to win now". In summary, I guess I'm agreeing with you about Faulk staying, FOR NOW. But, that "really good return" might morph into a different form if scoring cannot be attained?

20 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I understand your thoughts here, bluedevilcane, but "until a really good return presents itself", to me is a relative thought in this instance. Let me explain my reasoning. Our team's current scoring/defending potential is very fluid at best, is it not? By this, I mean we really don't have any idea how all the parts are going to fit together, what the large number of veterans and youngsters just brought aboard this off season. With just 2 preseason games under their belts, and really the final team not having been assembled yet, we do not know how the final puzzle will look. It could be that the assembly will be seamless, or we could be left wanting for a glaring missing piece? If the latter occurs, a "good return" could take on a radically different look than it does at present. Thus, for instance, a Nylander type scorer may be viewed as a much more valuable piece than the redundancy that a Faulk-like defender gives us(you do realize that I say Nylander type and Faulk-like, thus not necessarily those specific players). Thus, I think that 10 or so games may be necessary to truly determine what our needs are for us to move forward, or as you put it, "to win now". In summary, I guess I'm agreeing with you about Faulk staying, FOR NOW. But, that "really good return" might morph into a different form if scoring cannot be attained?

Yes. I think almost everyone agrees we need a top 6 forward. If the opportunity to get one presents itself, I think Faulk would be moved. In the meantime, maybe the thinking is we can make up some of the scoring from the blue line. If that does not prove to be the case, we may have to lower expectations on the player we get back or sweeten the pot to make a trade.