Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

...or at least after the playoffs. I agree that The Committee has to be focused on goaltending. I just to hope to God they are.

Waddell specifically mentioned he has told teams he looking for goaltending.  

 

The bigger question is who is really available?  Slim pickings. Really slim pickings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ironman87 said:

 

Of the moves being discussed, Hanifan is easily the most valuable trade piece we have.  If I am Dundon, I am not moving him unless we are getting serious value in return.  Sometimes fans tend to over-estimate the value of their own players in trades.  This is the one player I think we are underestimating.  We should be able to get a serious offensive skill player for Hanifan. 

Agree. The one d-man i would trade would be Pesce. He doesn't try to move anyone out in front of the goalie, shys away from going in the corner for the puck. I know who i would try to trade straight up for would be Josh Manson of the Ducks. Manson is 6'3", 213lbs, scored 37 points the past season and a +/- of(+34), Pesce(-10). The one thing that might would make the trade difficult to get done is the three year age difference. Manson 26, Pesce 23. We would be getting a big defenseman what i think the canes need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

Agree. The one d-man i would trade would be Pesce. He doesn't try to move anyone out in front of the goalie, shys away from going in the corner for the puck. I know who i would try to trade straight up for would be Josh Manson of the Ducks. Manson is 6'3", 213lbs, scored 37 points the past season and a +/- of(+34), Pesce(-10). The one thing that might would make the trade difficult to get done is the three year age difference. Manson 26, Pesce 23. We would be getting a big defenseman what i think the canes need.

Fairly equal salaries with the exception that Pesce is signed for 1 more year without any clauses and Manson has a Modified NTC that kicks in at 2019/20. Pesce is a better puck mover but Manson is more physical. I don't think this trade would solve any of the Ducks problems as their offense needs more attention as they have several grey beards leading the charge on offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, playruffcaniac said:

Agree. The one d-man i would trade would be Pesce. He doesn't try to move anyone out in front of the goalie, shys away from going in the corner for the puck. I know who i would try to trade straight up for would be Josh Manson of the Ducks. Manson is 6'3", 213lbs, scored 37 points the past season and a +/- of(+34), Pesce(-10). The one thing that might would make the trade difficult to get done is the three year age difference. Manson 26, Pesce 23. We would be getting a big defenseman what i think the canes need.

 

 

Pesce is my favorite Hurricane but it would be time to commit Murray to the looney bin if he made that trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, playruffcaniac said:

Agree. The one d-man i would trade would be Pesce. He doesn't try to move anyone out in front of the goalie, shys away from going in the corner for the puck. I know who i would try to trade straight up for would be Josh Manson of the Ducks. Manson is 6'3", 213lbs, scored 37 points the past season and a +/- of(+34), Pesce(-10). The one thing that might would make the trade difficult to get done is the three year age difference. Manson 26, Pesce 23. We would be getting a big defenseman what i think the canes need.

I don't like this trade simply from the fact that I fear we might be tinkering with delicate chemistry between Pesce and Slavin. Granted Pesce is not as valuble as Manson APPEARS to be, but might he be the secret to Slavin's skill. To me that's a very hard question to answer, and Slavin may do well with anyone, but if my fear comes true, than not only have you lost the one, but you have altered the other? Now I realize that both players were tried with multiple, and also that their play did not live up to 16-17, but it always appeared to me that Slavin played more comfortably with Pesce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Waddell specifically mentioned he has told teams he looking for goaltending.  

 

The bigger question is who is really available?  Slim pickings. Really slim pickings.

Someone elsewhere mentioned a goalie for Switzerland as looking good in the IIHC World Championship? Anyone see this and would he be worth exploring, or does he belong to someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Someone elsewhere mentioned a goalie for Switzerland as looking good in the IIHC World Championship? Anyone see this and would he be worth exploring, or does he belong to someone?

 

 

Leonardo Genoni?  30 y.o., undrafted in the NHL.  Plays for Bern SC in the Swiss league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Ward could be a reliable backup with 20-25 games/yr. He was excellent in that roll until Darlings collapse became official and Ward got forced promoted. It’s Darling that has to go imo. Unlike an individual skater who can have an off year and get redemption the next I think the team mojo with Darling is bad and if he even lets in one bad goal costing the team a win in the first 5-10 games of the season the howling will be worse than a blizzard; bad mojo. Somehow the committee has got to get him out of here and find a replacement. Keeping Mongo and getting rid of Cam is window dressing that doesn’t count for diddly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darling cannot be counted on to be part of the NHL tandem at the start of the season.  He just cant.  How they get rid of his is not my problem, but they have to.  I think a demotion to Charlotte is the most likely, but I'd rather see the stink of whatever is on him out of the system.  A buyout would be the next option, and lastly a trade with 50% retained.  I don't think there's a GM out there that wants him until he proves something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I still think Ward could be a reliable backup with 20-25 games/yr. He was excellent in that roll until Darlings collapse became official and Ward got forced promoted. It’s Darling that has to go imo. Unlike an individual skater who can have an off year and get redemption the next I think the team mojo with Darling is bad and if he even lets in one bad goal costing the team a win in the first 5-10 games of the season the howling will be worse than a blizzard; bad mojo. Somehow the committee has got to get him out of here and find a replacement. Keeping Mongo and getting rid of Cam is window dressing that doesn’t count for diddly. 

This!

If Mongo had shown ANY signs of improvement towards the end of the season, I would’ve felt differently...but he didn’t, and we don’t have time to “wait and see.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 6:58 PM, coastal_caniac said:

On the Wilson thing.  I think the Canes need somebody that plays right at the edge of the rules.  That's a fine line.  Hits like the one on Aston-Reece are going to happen, and if that's intolerable then well, I can understand why somebody wouldn't want that type of player.  Wilson, I admit may be a bad example of what I would like to see given his whole un-suspended history.

 

But I'm desperate for something other than ultra-soft. :)

After watching game 6 last night i know Wilson or a player that plays all out like him would be a good fit with the canes. Wilson was great on the penalty kill and came close to scoring a shorty.  The game last night was one of the hardest hitting game I've seen in awhile.  Go Wilson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

Leonardo Genoni?  30 y.o., undrafted in the NHL.  Plays for Bern SC in the Swiss league.

 

Another Euro goalie in the rumor mill Veini Vehviläinen

 
Quote

Miika Arponen @MiikaArponen If the rumors I hear are true, at least Carolina is very interested in getting (him) into (their) organization.

 

FinnProspects

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hard to imagine signing Ryan or Stempniak.

 

I doubt we sign Stemper. The injury, a question mark on his ability to regain form, the need to make space for new faces. The upside of a healthy Stemp is that his play with Skinner is pretty good. Will Skinner even be back? I think we let Stempniak walk.

 

Ryan is a curious decision. He is versatile, good possession numbers, good at the dot. But with Aho and Lindy maybe ready to move to center I wonder where he fits. You could of course sign him to a reasonable contract and make the new faces earn the right to displace him or sign him with an intention of including him in a trade. I think some other teams would be interested. I could see this going either way.

 

Ward :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Waddell specifically mentioned he has told teams he looking for goaltending.  

 

The bigger question is who is really available?  Slim pickings. Really slim pickings.

There's a price for everybody, and there are several keepers on the back end of long-term deals and/or whose orgs have younger (cheaper) talent pushing up. Toronto and LA spring to mind. If we're willing to give, maybe we can finally get what we've needed for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Ryan is a curious decision. He is versatile, good possession numbers, good at the dot. But with Aho and Lindy maybe ready to move to center I wonder where he fits. You could of course sign him to a reasonable contract and make the new faces earn the right to displace him or sign him with an intention of including him in a trade. I think some other teams would be interested. I could see this going either way.

The only way I see Ryan staying is if we can move Rask, but even then I'd rather let a prospect start at the bottom of the center ladder (4C) than bring back Ryan. I'd bet dollars to donuts he follows BP to Calgary. (Then again, I'd have lost that same bet on Steve Smith.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The only way I see Ryan staying is if we can move Rask, but even then I'd rather let a prospect start at the bottom of the center ladder (4C) than bring back Ryan. I'd bet dollars to donuts he follows BP to Calgary. (Then again, I'd have lost that same bet on Steve Smith.)

 

I think that is a good possibility but yeah at this point how can we know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Another Euro goalie in the rumor mill Veini Vehviläinen

 

 

Finn + goaltender = win, and it doesn't matter how unpronounceable the name is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Ryan is a curious decision. He is versatile, good possession numbers, good at the dot. But with Aho and Lindy maybe ready to move to center I wonder where he fits. You could of course sign him to a reasonable contract and make the new faces earn the right to displace him or sign him with an intention of including him in a trade. I think some other teams would be interested. I could see this going either way.

 

 

If Ryan is re-signed, IMO it has to be as the 13th forward who can jump in when there's an injury or when someone is being held accountable and *ahem* sat out for a game, and otherwise he sits in the pressbox.  While i want to see, for instance, Foegele make the team next year, i don't want it to be as the guy who spends half the season in the pressbox.  I'd rather give him another season in Charlotte than waste him as a healthy scratch.  Let someone like Ryan play that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

Finn + goaltender = win, and it doesn't matter how unpronounceable the name is.

 

Will a Finland fast food chain be featured at PNC next season? Will we need to show our passport to gain entrance to the stadium?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

There's a price for everybody, and there are several keepers on the back end of long-term deals and/or whose orgs have younger (cheaper) talent pushing up. Toronto and LA spring to mind. If we're willing to give, maybe we can finally get what we've needed for so long.

Quick still has 5 years left and their young played in 5 games last year.

 

Andersen has 2 years left with McElhinney as the backup. I don’t see either making a move and ruining their playoff chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

If Ryan is re-signed, IMO it has to be as the 13th forward who can jump in when there's an injury or when someone is being held accountable and *ahem* sat out for a game, and otherwise he sits in the pressbox.  While i want to see, for instance, Foegele make the team next year, i don't want it to be as the guy who spends half the season in the pressbox.  I'd rather give him another season in Charlotte than waste him as a healthy scratch.  Let someone like Ryan play that role.

 

My guess is that if we sign him we either intend to play him or trade him. Otherwise we let him walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The only way I see Ryan staying is if we can move Rask, but even then I'd rather let a prospect start at the bottom of the center ladder (4C) than bring back Ryan. I'd bet dollars to donuts he follows BP to Calgary. (Then again, I'd have lost that same bet on Steve Smith.)

 

Do we know for sure yet that Smith might not still go to Calgary?  I know there's been no indication that Roddy isn't happy with him, but Calgary still doesn't have a defensive coach listed on their website.  If BP was interested in poaching him, wouldn't that attempt still be in the early stages given that Peters has been over at the Worlds?  I'd like to see Smith back, and haven't heard anything to indicate he won't be, but is that a certainty yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...