The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Who are the All Time Hurricanes ?

when thinking back as to who were the best of the best that played for carolina   i was trying to jot down a list of players  that were the best  is what they brought to the table and  how much of a difference they made to the club when they were here  . 

the list of players i have so far in no order  are as follow 

Brind'amour 

Francis 

E. Staal 

Irbe 

Williams 

Stillman

Skinner 

Aho 

Joikenen 

Pitkanen 

Cullen 

Hedican 

J.Staal 

Roberts 

Wesley 

A.Ward 

C.Ward 

Weight 

Recchi 

Whitney 

Hanifin 

Slavin 

Pesce 

Faulk 

Kapanen 

so who is your list of players that you thought were the best of the canes ?

Erik Cole.  He made Eric Staal a lot better than a Coleless staal.   The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Erik Cole.  He made Eric Staal a lot better than a Coleless staal.   The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

i loved cole  but the only thing that drove me crazy about his play   is that he could not finish like an elite player could , he could skate super fast ,  check  well ,  do nearly everything perfect like  a grinder could do   but when it came to setting up passes or shooting on the net   it didnt  matter not cause he didnt have the skill to finish it off .    the dude was super talented  , read the play on ice  very well ,   had  a ton of endurance  and  if someone were trying to beat him off the puck he would crank up the burners and out skate them  and leave them in the dust , but he wasnt  a sniper .  nor had the perfect hands for  amazing passes like stillman had for example .   thats why  i left him off the list , if he had those   few things  he would have been my first guy i would have named  without a doubt ! but for now just a honorable mention !  

29 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

i loved cole  but the only thing that drove me crazy about his play   is that he could not finish like an elite player could , he could skate super fast ,  check  well ,  do nearly everything perfect like  a grinder could do   but when it came to setting up passes or shooting on the net   it didnt  matter not cause he didnt have the skill to finish it off .    the dude was super talented  , read the play on ice  very well ,   had  a ton of endurance  and  if someone were trying to beat him off the puck he would crank up the burners and out skate them  and leave them in the dust , but he wasnt  a sniper .  nor had the perfect hands for  amazing passes like stillman had for example .   thats why  i left him off the list , if he had those   few things  he would have been my first guy i would have named  without a doubt ! but for now just a honorable mention !  

You have Jokinen on your list.  His highest output was 30 goals in 81 games, Cole had 30 goals in 60 games when he had his neck broken, on pace for 40.  He was arguably the best power forward in Canes history, led the team in hits yearly in his era.  He opened up the ice for the skilled players, which is what power forwards do, which is why EStaal did better when he was on his line.

Not trying to be argumentative but that is what we do with lists anyway, argue.  :)  

• Like 1

Yeah, if Cole's not included because he wasn't a sniper, then probably half of that list needs to be stricken.  But this kind of thing is all opinion anyway so we'll all have our own versions of it.

...and  how much of a difference they made to the club when they were here  . 

Also, keep in mind what a mentor Cole was for a young rookie player, what was his name - Oh, yeah, Skinner.  Talk about making a difference.

• Like 1

Niclas "Secret Weapon" Wallin over Pitkanen any day. 

And an honorable mention for Sean "Break my stick on every slapshot" Hill.

Edited by Irbe4Weekes
  • Like 1