The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Brind'amour coaches

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Jeff Daniels?!!   Didn't he fail at the AHL level?  Wow.

I don't know that he was a failure - he was there at a time when the youth corps featured such cornerstones as Rodney and Samson and Jared Staal and still managed 5 winning seasons out of 7 and 3 playoff runs including one to the conference finals.  Mind you he wasn't Scotty Bowman down there, but i wouldn't call him a failure either.  That said, this definitely has a 'getting the band back together' feel, to be sure.  Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

That said, this definitely has a 'getting the band back together' feel, to be sure. 

Or maybe a "nobody else was interested" feel. 

I'm just thankful Roddy will have a guy who has been a head coach at his side, even if it was at the AHL level.

• Like 1

What I see that I don’t like is another hire of someone already on the Canes’ payroll. First Waddell, then Brind’Amour, now Daniels. Nothing against any of these guys (though I’m struggling to warm up to Waddell), but with all the hockey minds out there to choose from, the most qualified for every position happened to be someone already on the Canes’ payroll? This is giving me pause to think that early reports of TD’s penurious approach to spending money may have been true. I’m waiting to see if he will spend money on players to upgrade the team. At his first presser, I felt maybe we had an owner who would spend to the cap to bring in what was needed. Now I’m not so sure. The next month or two should answer the question of whether we are still a budget team. If we are, we should expect budget results. We have the lowest, or nearly the lowest payroll in the league for 10 years, and surprise, we miss the playoffs 9 years in a row. If TD aims for the salary floor, and not at least somewhere near the cap, we will never compete with Pittsburgh, Washington, the Rangers, etc. whose annual challenge is to stay under the cap. 

7 hours ago, OBXer said:

Yeah well not all of the band. According to a Luke tweet Glen Wesley's contract as director of defenseman development will not be renewed.

Wow. I thought Wesley and Brindy were tight.

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

What I see that I don’t like is another hire of someone already on the Canes’ payroll. First Waddell, then Brind’Amour, now Daniels. Nothing against any of these guys (though I’m struggling to warm up to Waddell), but with all the hockey minds out there to choose from, the most qualified for every position happened to be someone already on the Canes’ payroll? This is giving me pause to think that early reports of TD’s penurious approach to spending money may have been true. I’m waiting to see if he will spend money on players to upgrade the team. At his first presser, I felt maybe we had an owner who would spend to the cap to bring in what was needed. Now I’m not so sure. The next month or two should answer the question of whether we are still a budget team. If we are, we should expect budget results. We have the lowest, or nearly the lowest payroll in the league for 10 years, and surprise, we miss the playoffs 9 years in a row. If TD aims for the salary floor, and not at least somewhere near the cap, we will never compete with Pittsburgh, Washington, the Rangers, etc. whose annual challenge is to stay under the cap. 

I wonder how much influence from PK, who is advising TD, plays into the "be cheap"

12 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I have to sort of agree.

I am fully open to the idea that Jeff Daniels did a decent job in Charlotte, and may have a lot to offer. But I really thought we'd try to go outside the organization to get some new thoughts from somewhere. I'm not so much worried about the "cheap" part until I see how he approaches player payroll, but more about getting some ideas from a winning program, and not just all internal voices. The committee seems to be made up entirely of people from the inside and one old timer from outside that is Waddell's old buddy long on experience and short on success. 

I guess in the end Daniels is Roddy's guy. I think he proved to be a capable assistant coach, and he is good with players, so hopefully it ends up fine. And really this is not a key position to go outside, but just the latest so it flares up the debate.

But I would have thought Dundon would have tried to stock his committee with some strong voices from other programs. Maybe he still will. 

And we're also keeping our goaltending coach who could not fix Darling last year?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Nope.

Far from a failure. Who knows he might be viewed as a potential future GM as well. 

He was the former head coach and general manager of the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League. In 2010–11, Daniels led the Charlotte Checkers to 44 wins and 94 points during the regular-season, the best totals for a Carolina affiliate since 2004–05. Daniels then guided the Checkers to the Eastern Conference Final, the deepest Calder Cup playoff run for Carolina’s AHL team since the 1996–97 Springfield Falcons.

Prior to being appointed to his current post, Daniels spent four seasons with the Hurricanes as an assistant coach. He helped guide the Hurricanes to the 2006 Stanley Cup championship, marking the second time he captured the Stanley Cup in his hockey career, as he also has his name inscribed on the Cup as a player with the 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Far from a failure. Who knows he might be viewed as a potential future GM as well. 

He was the former head coach and general manager of the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League. In 2010–11, Daniels led the Charlotte Checkers to 44 wins and 94 points during the regular-season, the best totals for a Carolina affiliate since 2004–05. Daniels then guided the Checkers to the Eastern Conference Final, the deepest Calder Cup playoff run for Carolina’s AHL team since the 1996–97 Springfield Falcons.

Prior to being appointed to his current post, Daniels spent four seasons with the Hurricanes as an assistant coach. He helped guide the Hurricanes to the 2006 Stanley Cup championship, marking the second time he captured the Stanley Cup in his hockey career, as he also has his name inscribed on the Cup as a player with the 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins.

And it's all available right here on the Internet. For those who care enough to look.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And it's all available right here on the Internet. For those who care enough to look.

Yes it is. I happen to be a Jeff Daniels fan. For a guy  picked by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the sixth round, 109th overall in the 1986 NHL Entry Draft. He has two Stanley Cup rings with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1991, and 1992. He got the most out of his playing abilities. He's been a NHL player, an assistant NHL coach, A head AHL coach and GM and a head of Pro Scouts. Great guy to have considering player development needs and our cache of young talent. I view him as a potential replacement for Waddell when the time comes.

52 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Thanks for that.  So what caused his departure as head coach of the checkers?  I am just curious.

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Thanks for that.  So what caused his departure as head coach of the checkers?  I am just curious.

Ron Francis. When Francis became GM he made the change. It was reported the team needed a fresh start. 

34 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Yes it is. I happen to be a Jeff Daniels fan. For a guy  picked by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the sixth round, 109th overall in the 1986 NHL Entry Draft. He has two Stanley Cup rings with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1991, and 1992. He got the most out of his playing abilities. He's been a NHL player, an assistant NHL coach, A head AHL coach and GM and a head of Pro Scouts. Great guy to have considering player development needs and our cache of young talent. I view him as a potential replacement for Waddell when the time comes.

Meanwhile, it's very hard to see Samuelsson's stint in CLT as anything but RF giving a gift to an old friend.

Edit to add: I agree re his potential GM-ness. Vellucci too. There's more than one way to view the effects of PK's ownership and Dundon's unorthodoxy. One is that all those years of cheap have limited our options, which they probably have. But they also made clear, beyond any doubt, which guys are fully committed to this org, and I believe Daniels and to an even greater extent Vellucci are two such guys.

Edited by top-shelf-1

7 hours ago, remkin said:

And we're also keeping our goaltending coach who could not fix Darling last year?

Rem, to be fair, I don't know how much you can hold the goalie coach accountable for not fixing Darling last year. Some blame could go to him, some to the fitness coach/coordinator, but most belings to Scott. I can't say a whole lot about putting on weight aside from, 1) my job doesn't have a fitness component and 2) it has taken me 20 years to add about twice what Scott added in 2-3 months last year. He had to have noticed it and should have acted to fix the problem sooner.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Rem, to be fair, I don't know how much you can hold the goalie coach accountable for not fixing Darling last year. Some blame could go to him, some to the fitness coach/coordinator, but most belings to Scott. I can't say a whole lot about putting on weight aside from, 1) my job doesn't have a fitness component and 2) it has taken me 20 years to add about twice what Scott added in 2-3 months last year. He had to have noticed it and should have acted to fix the problem sooner.

I have my suspicions of what attributed to that gain in weight.  One does not simply put on that weight by just not eating right.

14 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

I actually agree. One hopes that within the organization it is felt that this guy is a solid coach, and that Darling wasn't on him. It would probably be also fair to suggest that Cam played pretty well overall, especially early. While not a top tier goalie, his overall play lead to more wins than losses, and if we are to believe that he is really built now to be a back up and was ridden too hard out of necessity it makes his season that much "better". 

It's just that so far, nearly all of this dramatic "change" that we're being told to watch for has been Dundon firing the top levels and moving people around within the organization. I'm not saying this can't work, but it sort of dilutes the idea of a massive change in direction. Also, a team that has chronically failed might do well to get at least one voice from an organization that has chronically won, and so far we haven't done that.

THAT said, he's not done, and player moves are really just about to come into season, so I'm still waiting to see what happens there. At least in the short run, that will be the key: How does this rearranged internal group of managers actually shape things on the ice. I'm still open to the idea that people in new roles can still shake things up. I guess I have to also be open to the idea of old dogs learning new tricks with our GM and his pal Rick Dudley. 

We shall see pretty soon. 

15 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I have my suspicions of what attributed to that gain in weight.  One does not simply put on that weight by just not eating right. 

Pregnant?

16 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

If you're going where I think you're going with this, hopefully appropriate action is taken by the mods. This is grade-A bush league.

1 hour ago, canesfan06 said:

If you're going where I think you're going with this, hopefully appropriate action is taken by the mods. This is grade-A bush league.

He could be going in the direction of lack of working out.  

7 hours ago, remkin said:

It's just that so far, nearly all of this dramatic "change" that we're being told to watch for has been Dundon firing the top levels and moving people around within the organization. I'm not saying this can't work, but it sort of dilutes the idea of a massive change in direction.

A successful entrepreneur is always going to look at management first, and IMO - particularly in a chronically underachieving org - rightly so.

Employees only get complacent when there are no repercussions for complacency. We've discussed how JR protected Eric Staal from accountability. We saw how BP's hammer was taken from his hands. The parade of mediocre players that have been held out as NHLers here is legion. If it weren't for his full-on opossum act, HWSNBN would likely still be here. 

Then - just in case our new owner was oblivious to complacency's spot at the very top of the organization - RF took Dundon's encouragement, prior to the trade deadline, to make the team a winner now, and sat on his hands. Just as he had in the prior two years, when, like this year, the team had managed to remain in the playoff hunt. 

So I don't feel like at all like the idea of a massive change of direction has been diluted. My sense, based on the changes made so far, is that TD has been working to remove all vestiges of complacency from the management ranks, and has instructed his managers to remove any similarly inclined people who report to them. That is the place to start. It's not exciting to fans, but it is necessary. Complacency is like cancer: If you don't remove it completely, it can quickly recur. 

Despite my stated concern with Rod's lack of HC experience, this much I know: Complacency isn't in his character (let alone his vocabulary). Waddell? Unlike some, I'm not going to hold his sins in Atlanta against him until I have good reason. Most are utterly imagined anyway, given the brokenness of that org from top to bottom. Indeed, under very similar circumstances here (lawsuits and general disarray of the owner group), Waddell, by all reports, was instrumental in engineering an ownership change that not only kept the team where it is but which features a young, headstrong owner who isn't afraid to tip some sacred cows.

If the choice is between that and what we've lived with since 2009, it's a ridiculously easy one, for me at least.

• Like 1

If Timmy gets hired, I will start to question where this org thinks it’s headed.

I’m not surprised that Steve resigned, but the timing is highly suspect.

• Like 2