The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Brind'amour coaches

I honestly dont know for sure myself .   Im just guessing like everyone else is at this moment .    I would love to see someone who  can step in and help the team but im not sure if  Tim  could be the answer but who knows , maybe he  has fresh ideas like Brind'amour  to be given the job .  I'd hate to think  it was because of a money issue .  Dundon what are you planing my man ?

This is a little surprising.  I would of thought that if it happened at all that it would of happened earlier. Good luck Steve Smith wherever you land.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Steve Smith is out ,   So who is going to step in ?  Tim Gleason maybe  ???

Velluci?

It would be reassuring to see someone outside the organization hired. We’ll see. Has Peters filled out his staff in Calgary?

Maybe it is because they are moving all of the coaches offices to make room for an expanded workout area and locker room space. 

It is a rushed project that just went through.

I’m saying this tongue in cheek but it’s all I got.

Surprising to hear. I hope this doesn’t point to something bad. I liked Smith.

4 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Velluci?

It would be reassuring to see someone outside the organization hired. We’ll see. Has Peters filled out his staff in Calgary?

I think so .   Im  still with the idea that Velluci should remain with the checkers . He is doing great things down there  .   As for people who could  step in , i dont know . Maybe Joni Pitkanen   although i have not seen the man skate since his injury and would rather keep him as a valuable scout for us .  So  many questions this season. 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I'm a bit surprised too, especially at the timing. I liked Smith. I echo the call to go outside the organization and someone with coaching experience, especially since we have a head coach without HC experience. Would be interested in more info if it comes out.

This far into the offseason I was counting on him being apart of the staff. BPs been with Calgary 2.5 months now, I figured Smiths mind was made up.

Edited by legend-1

I wonder if he might have disagreed with some of the recent trades and that nudged him over the edge?  Perhaps he wanted to keep Hanifin (or Faulk, as the arrival of Hamilton seems to imply the departure of Faulk).  Not suggesting such, just searching for a reason.  I hadn't heard anything about him throwing his hat in the ring for the HC position, so doubt he had an issue with being snubbed in favor of Brindy.  Where he ends up next could provide a clue as to his thinking.

Edited by LakeLivin

I always like Smith and this timing is very strange. It will be even more strange if he doesn't sign elsewhere quickly. If not did he have an issue internally?

Im just going to throw together a list of some of the best  Defensemen  that played the game ( retired from playing ) and of course still alive  and young enough to coach   and see if  one of them is a keeper to be a assistant  coach for Brind'Amour  for you guys to say yay or nay to . 

Ray Bourque 

Chris Chelios 

Scott Stevens

Scott Niedermayer

Nicklas  Lidstrom

That is all I have so far that I can think of so far .  Keep in mind  , none of them  are likely  to want to come  to the Canes .  so im being realistic here . 

If we’re throwing random former Canes D-men our there for assistant coach, then I nominate James “72 seconds” Wisniewski to take over ;)

I was going to comment about Smith during the rookie camp.  There was a picture published where he looked really happy.  I was taking that as him staying.

Oh well.  Guess not.

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

I was going to comment about Smith during the rookie camp.  There was a picture published where he looked really happy.  I was taking that as him staying.

Oh well.  Guess not.

It might be a more personal matter than a professional  matter .  I saw him also during the prospects  camp and he was smiling and waving to the fans .  So  im guessing it has nothing to do with  how he was coaching  and was asked to "  resign / be fired  "   because the canes management  seemed pleased with Smith . 

3 hours ago, caniac_fan said:

What about Dough Weight??

It depends.  Sicilian crust weighs more than NY style.

(Just messing with you, can't stop myself)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caniac_fan said:

What about Dough Weight??

His total coaching experience (head and assistant) is only 3 or 4 years, but that would not make him a bad choice necessarily. I would think he would be more of an offensive side coach and Smith handled primarily defense. But what do I know.

It is unsettling that Smith stayed for so long after Peters left, and is bailing now. I thought he did a great job with our young defense and was glad he stayed. Hope for the best, and wish Smith the best as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

Smith.  He's leaving.  Not the end of the world.  His defense sucked last year. Whatever.

The replacement is the thing.

That's kind of where i am.  I liked the guy, but his coaching wasn't carrying the team to the promised land.  No real loss.  I do agree with others in hoping they bring in someone from the outside.  As much as i like the guy, i'm hoping Skip Cunningham isn't promoted to assistant coach tomorrow.

• Like 2

I'm thinking it will be Gleason. The recent hiring, the amicably Smith resignation. This has all the feel to me of a well planned transition.

Or I am completely wrong and stuff just happens. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm thinking it will be Gleason. The recent hiring, the amicably Smith resignation. This has all the feel to me of a well planned transition.

Or I am completely wrong and stuff just happens. 

If it happens then I guess we could all see the writing on the wall .  I hope  it's one of the legends  I mentioned that could come in and be that guy to help  the canes staff  but the more and more I think about it the more and more I'm doubtful that would even cross Dundons mind  and that he would rather go shopping at K mart for a Defense coach on blue light special . 

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ray Bourque 

Chris Chelios 

Scott Stevens

Scott Niedermayer

Nicklas  Lidstrom

Not saying the whole league is as nepotistic as the Canes, but we still probably would have stood a better chance of bringing in Chelios had we not just let his son walk unsigned.

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

If it happens then I guess we could all see the writing on the wall .  I hope  it's one of the legends  I mentioned that could come in and be that guy to help  the canes staff  but the more and more I think about it the more and more I'm doubtful that would even cross Dundons mind  and that he would rather go shopping at K mart for a Defense coach on blue light special . 

Just now getting home from work, and as tired as I am, I just could not let this outlandish statement go unchallenged . Canesfanforever, you've got absolutely no basis for this statement. Don't we have enough of this type of baseless crap from our friends from the north, to have you, with the moniker you display, regularly spout out these constant little snipes at our owner? Just because Tom Dundon APPEARS, and I stress that characterization APPEARS, to insist on value for his $$, doesn't mean he's a cheap skate. Maybe if more of these owners held players accountable, and insisted on value given for value spent, The NHL would not have to resort to their periodic lockouts to reign in the constantly escalating salaries?

• Like 2