The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Brind'amour coaches

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just now getting home from work, and as tired as I am, I just could not let this outlandish statement go unchallenged . Canesfanforever, you've got absolutely no basis for this statement. Don't we have enough of this type of baseless crap from our friends from the north, to have you, with the moniker you display, regularly spout out these constant little snipes at our owner? Just because Tom Dundon APPEARS, and I stress that characterization APPEARS, to insist on value for his $$, doesn't mean he's a cheap skate. Maybe if more of these owners held players accountable, and insisted on value given for value spent, The NHL would not have to resort to their periodic lockouts to reign in the constantly escalating salaries?

Paying for management / coaches / gm  does not count against the salary cap bud .   Go and Watch the interview with Brind'Amour how much dough the man was netting  compared to other coaches around the league then come back at me with your upset feelings .  Otherwise you have nothing  to defend . Dundon  is choosing to keep the wallet   sealed tight when it comes to bringing in some management  types  that might do a better job that might want the standard fee  .   If the Canes failure to reach out and get people to come here is because of  Dundon not wanting to pay the coaches  what they are worth then how exactly is that "  changing the Culture " ?    I have my hunches   why Smith might of left  .  I want to hear that the Canes are bringing in someone that knows a thing or two about being a Assistant coach  and that Dundon was not afraid to spend the cash  to make the team better in that regard  . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

12 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im just going to throw together a list of some of the best  Defensemen  that played the game ( retired from playing ) and of course still alive  and young enough to coach   and see if  one of them is a keeper to be a assistant  coach for Brind'Amour  for you guys to say yay or nay to . 

Ray Bourque 

Chris Chelios 

Scott Stevens

Scott Niedermayer

Nicklas  Lidstrom

That is all I have so far that I can think of so far .  Keep in mind  , none of them  are likely  to want to come  to the Canes .  so im being realistic here . 

Have any of these guys, besides Steven, coached?

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Dundon  is choosing to keep the wallet   sealed tight when it comes to bringing in some management  types  that might do a better job that might want the standard fee  . 

Source?  i.e how do we know salary is why Steve left?

Edited by cc

Scott Walker- 1.  Grit man  2. Experience 3. Well though of as he was assistant for Canada 4.  Would make my wife happy.  # 4 is of course the most important.

Lovely speculation based on Zero btw.  I wondered when Gleason was brought in,why have 2 D coaches.

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I think about it the more and more I'm doubtful that would even cross Dundons mind  and that he would rather go shopping at K mart for a Defense coach on blue light special . 

And I thought you might make it a week before Iggy visited again.

1 hour ago, cc said:

Scott Walker- 1.  Grit man  2. Experience 3. Well though of as he was assistant for Canada 4.  Would make my wife happy.  # 4 is of course the most important.

Lovely speculation based on Zero btw.  I wondered when Gleason was brought in,why have 2 D coaches.

Would love to see the Canes hire Walker. I think Gleason was brought in to work with prospects - Charlotte, Florida, Juniors, etc. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t be promoted to Brindy’s staff, but he doesn’t have coaching experience that I know of.

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Go and Watch the interview with Brind'Amour how much dough the man was netting  compared to other coaches around the league then come back at me with your upset feelings

Did I miss the part where Brind'Amour confesses how little he was getting paid? I mainly remember him saying that he didn't care about the money, he wanted the opportunity.

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I have my hunches   why Smith might of left  .  I want to hear that the Canes are bringing in someone that knows a thing or two about being a Assistant coach  and that Dundon was not afraid to spend the cash  to make the team better in that regard  

CFF, are you implying that Smith left because he wasn't getting paid enough? If so, how is that on TD? Smith had one year left on his contract that was signed last year. The only comment I see about Smith Leaving is this from the N&O:

Canes general manager Don Waddell called the parting amicable, saying, "He talked to us and said he had been here four years and was looking at other things."

I have no clue why he is choosing to leave now, but I hope it is nothing health related and wish him well.

Cff, as usual, your rant makes absolutely no sense!! 1st of all, in my response to your witch hunt appearing attack on Dundon because you apparently assume he is cheap, falling in lock step with the unwelcoming media chiding I might add, I never once said that anything was related to "the salary cap bud". 

Then,"how much dough" Brind'Amour makes has no bearing whatsoever on anything, simply because that was a contract between 2 mature, intelligent, free to make their own decision individuals, and presumably Brind'Amour apparently thought it was fair. Besides, what you fail to recognize apparently, unless you've got more "connection" to the inner workings of the Canes than us peons who habituate these blogs(in which case I truly apologize to you), then no way do you have knowledge of the actual arrangement the two consummated. For instance, what if Dundon's proposition to Brindy has a "show me" incentivisation element, which would be good business for a 1st time HC don't you admit? Or do you suggest that TD just throw his $$ at someone to coach just to keep up with the "Joneses" of hockey?

Then your next statement "Dundon is choosing to keep his wallet tight blah, blah, blah that might want the standard fee" completely ignores that TD and Brindy might be of one accord and Dundon is truly convinced that Brindy is the man for the job. Thus no need to bring in someone else, despite all your list making of off the wall "candidates" you pull off the internet, from God knows where?  

The final clincher in your spiel is related to bringing in "someone who knows a thing or two about being an Assistant Coach", viewed in light of that list you've proposed, as then caniac6 responded to, underscores my point to this rant. Though that list is an impressive collection of many known retired hockey players, do any either have an inclination to coach, or "know a thing or two about being an AC?

Finally, as an avowed Canes Fan Forever,  make the plea again, instead of stirring up doubts about our owner, Head Coach, GM, players and everything in between, can't we just embrace some of these apparent innovative and bold moves that are underfoot, and just give this whole thing a chance to work out?

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

can't we just embrace some of these apparent innovative and bold moves that are underfoot, and just give this whole thing a chance to work out? 

Of course not.  How much fun would that be.  LOL

This is not related to $'s spent on coaching selections but the last time I looked the Canes are only $12,789,169 away from the cap ceiling. When is the last time we have ever been at the upper limits of the cap? A far cry from a tight wallet  owner IMO. By the way we have 10 players who will require new contracts or decisions made on their contracts at the end of the season. It would be organizational suicide to spend to the cap limit this year. Skinner, Williams TT,Martinook,Ferland,Aho, Mcginn,PDG, Fleury,Mrazek, are either UFA/RFA's and some will be getting major raises while others may not be here. 

Kind of weird to bring up capfriendly, look a the bottom of the list on the first page, and the Canes are nowhere to be found!  My goodness, we have to move to the middle of the list to find our team.

As for Brindy, he made some lighthearted comment about negotiating with TD on salary.  You can infer what you want from that.  I don't have the exact quote.  It sounded like he's taking a home town discount.

9 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Kind of weird to bring up capfriendly, look a the bottom of the list on the first page, and the Canes are nowhere to be found!  My goodness, we have to move to the middle of the list to find our team.

As for Brindy, he made some lighthearted comment about negotiating with TD on salary.  You can infer what you want from that.  I don't have the exact quote.  It sounded like he's taking a home town discount.

not to rain on your parade but based on RFAs that have to re-signed:

Almost all of the teams lower than us currently will jump us.  Ottawa is 5 million behind and Stone will cost that plus a bunch. NYR has 3 forwards to re-sign, TML have Nylander plus some, Jets have big money to re-sign, LV has big names to re-sign.  The only ones that may stay below us are NYI and Arizona. 

Edited by gocanes0506

Back to Smitty leaving, good luck bud you were decent. Crap goaltending made your job more difficult than if you had had quality keepers Night in night out. To Roddy, I wish you success. Here is your chance, bring in your guy whoever it is but know that there is no grace period for you or anyone on the bench. You’ve been with this team forever and know it inside and out. Missing the playoffs will be your failure no matter the expected injuries, schedule challenges, players that let you down etc. 

Okay and my point is this .  When you look at other teams that  spend big money on the management side of things , Do  you all know what they have in Common ? They  get themselves a ton of Scouts to help their clubs out when it comes to the draft , We lost  Joe Nieuwendyk due to the whole Francis  dealings  who was a pro scout for the canes and still have not found someone to replace that man .    Now we are looking at Steve Smith who left the team and im concerned about the direction of this team that  you all want to jump down my neck because im not afraid to say what you all might be thinking in the back of your mind about Dundon ?!?   How about some proof we are not dealing with  Karmanos 2.0 here  once I SEE  it !   Teams that go on blind faith never pan out well  and I see the lot of you doing EXACTLY  just that when it comes to trusting in Dundon .  Im also big on Actions speak louder than words  .   I need to see Dundon go outside the organization and bring us someone back that can help  Brind'Amour this season cause the man is going to need it !   But I guess you would all be happy  with Dundon appointing  someone  that is about as clueless to the job  of assistant coach as you all are with  Smith leaving the team .  I hope im wrong  because I really do want to see this Team Succeed  and  when I see these bumps in the road  it makes me Doubt  this team will win . 

47 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Now we are looking at Steve Smith who left the team and im concerned about the direction of this team that  you all want to jump down my neck because im not afraid to say what you all might be thinking in the back of your mind about Dundon ?!?

I'm not sure anyone's jumping down your neck but even with the cheapskate angle that many of us are also concerned about (and have posted about quite a few times), your statement carries the implication that Smith is leaving due to money, which is nonsensical considering he's still working under the contract signed by Francis.  The only way your spin makes sense is if your hunch is that Dundon pulled Smith to the side and said 'hey bucky, we're lowering your pay this season, contract be damned', and i don't think any of us have seen any hint of that having happened.  Dundon's looking pretty cheap to me as well at this point, but i don't see how Smith leaving is confirmation of that.

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Okay and my point is this .  When you look at other teams that  spend big money on the management side of things , Do  you all know what they have in Common ? They  get themselves a ton of Scouts to help their clubs out when it comes to the draft , We lost  Joe Nieuwendyk due to the whole Francis  dealings  who was a pro scout for the canes and still have not found someone to replace that man .    Now we are looking at Steve Smith who left the team and im concerned about the direction of this team that  you all want to jump down my neck because im not afraid to say what you all might be thinking in the back of your mind about Dundon ?!?   How about some proof we are not dealing with  Karmanos 2.0 here  once I SEE  it !   Teams that go on blind faith never pan out well  and I see the lot of you doing EXACTLY  just that when it comes to trusting in Dundon .  Im also big on Actions speak louder than words  .   I need to see Dundon go outside the organization and bring us someone back that can help  Brind'Amour this season cause the man is going to need it !   But I guess you would all be happy  with Dundon appointing  someone  that is about as clueless to the job  of assistant coach as you all are with  Smith leaving the team .  I hope im wrong  because I really do want to see this Team Succeed  and  when I see these bumps in the road  it makes me Doubt  this team will win . 

You already have the Canes going to the playoffs based on your extensive research with a video game. So, who cares who Smith's replacement. They will get a coach. It's July, I'm not worried about it. 

Edited by caniac6
adding content
  • Like 1

They  get themselves a ton of Scouts to help their clubs out when it comes to the draft , We lost  Joe Nieuwendyk due to the whole Francis  dealings  who was a pro scout for the canes and still have not found someone to replace that man . 

Stop just saying stuff for shock value.  It might result in less negative feedback.

We have a few other scouts btw.    So unless you are saying the leaving of one person in the scouting area is a key reason for concern......

Bob Luccini
Bert Marshall
Don Elland
Rob Beatty
Mike Dawson
Daniel Eklund

Robert Kron

Sheldon Ferguson

Dave Hunter
Mark Craig

• Like 1

But I guess you would all be happy  with Dundon appointing  someone  that is about as clueless to the job  of assistant coach as you all are with  Smith leaving the team .

Shoo fly...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, cc said:

Stop just saying stuff for shock value.  It might result in less negative feedback.

We have a few other scouts btw.    So unless you are saying the leaving of one person in the scouting area is a key reason for concern......

Bob Luccini
Bert Marshall
Don Elland
Rob Beatty
Mike Dawson
Daniel Eklund

Robert Kron

Sheldon Ferguson

Dave Hunter
Mark Craig

Thank you for that, plus you might add, official or unofficial, several of our Finnish friends as well as Samsonov have been rumored?

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm not sure anyone's jumping down your neck but even with the cheapskate angle that many of us are also concerned about (and have posted about quite a few times), your statement carries the implication that Smith is leaving due to money, which is nonsensical considering he's still working under the contract signed by Francis.  The only way your spin makes sense is if your hunch is that Dundon pulled Smith to the side and said 'hey bucky, we're lowering your pay this season, contract be damned', and i don't think any of us have seen any hint of that having happened.  Dundon's looking pretty cheap to me as well at this point, but i don't see how Smith leaving is confirmation of that.

That alone is not confirmation of it  but the fact that  the canes  have not went out to get more scouts  be it amateur or   pro  does raise concern with me and that  we all have no clue  as to who will replace  Steve Smith  makes me a little on edge .   When I look at all the other teams that are successful  they have a ton of insight for the direction of their team going forward ,  may it be Tampa or Toronto , or Detroit  .   and when you look at the Canes  management  scene  , it's as if we are still operating on a shoe string budge compared to those other teams .  I  know the Canes are a small market team . That does not mean   our management  has to be as well  .    We all heard  great things were going to happen for this team from Dundon   and Im here left Skeptical   about his approach .  I guess we will all know  for sure  when the new season comes rolling in  .   

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

not to rain on your parade but based on RFAs that have to re-signed:

Almost all of the teams lower than us currently will jump us.  Ottawa is 5 million behind and Stone will cost that plus a bunch. NYR has 3 forwards to re-sign, TML have Nylander plus some, Jets have big money to re-sign, LV has big names to re-sign.  The only ones that may stay below us are NYI and Arizona. 

And Falk’s and Skinner’s salary may be coming off, though we don’t know what the salary of any players coming in might be. With young players we need to sign in the near future, I think having a decent amount of cap space is a good thing. Also, taking on Hamilton and de Hahn, plus signing TVR makes me feel Dundon is not unwilling to spend money to upgrade the team, at least so far.

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

You already have the Canes going to the playoffs based on your extensive research with a video game. So, who cares who Smith's replacement. They will get a coach. It's July, I'm not worried about it. 

That was a video game , I was only sharing something I though was kinda fun  with you all .  In real life  however things can be very different . 

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

That alone is not confirmation of it  but the fact that  the canes  have not went out to get more scouts  be it amateur or   pro  does raise concern with me and that  we all have no clue  as to who will replace  Steve Smith  makes me a little on edge .   When I look at all the other teams that are successful  they have a ton of insight for the direction of their team going forward ,  may it be Tampa or Toronto , or Detroit  .   and when you look at the Canes  management  scene  , it's as if we are still operating on a shoe string budge compared to those other teams .  I  know the Canes are a small market team . That does not mean   our management  has to be as well  .    We all heard  great things were going to happen for this team from Dundon   and Im here left Skeptical   about his approach .  I guess we will all know  for sure  when the new season comes rolling in  .   

Would you rather they name a replacement right now, or actually do a bit of research?

1 minute ago, caniac6 said:

Would you rather they name a replacement right now, or actually do a bit of research?

I would love for the team to make an announcement for the time being  on what's going to happen at least .   Leaving us all in the dark  does not reassure me .