Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Brind'amour coaches

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

 I guess we will all know  for sure  when the new season comes rolling in  .   

Focus on this part. It will make you happier. I have concerns over some of Dundon’s moves, but he is the one who paid a ton of money for the team, not me. I feel pretty confident he wants the team to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Focus on this part. It will make you happier. I have concerns over some of Dundon’s moves, but he is the one who paid a ton of money for the team, not me. I feel pretty confident he wants the team to succeed.

I hope so man .  I have my Doubts and would hate to see this team Fail when we are So Close   to making it to the playoffs .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder whether Wesley will wind up working with Wod. er, Rod.

 

Vellucci might be an option. I'd feel even better about Roddy's rookie year. GM by committee--and coaching too?

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

That alone is not confirmation of it  but the fact that  the canes  have not went out to get more scouts  be it amateur or   pro  does raise concern with me and that  we all have no clue  as to who will replace  Steve Smith  makes me a little on edge .   When I look at all the other teams that are successful  they have a ton of insight for the direction of their team going forward ,  may it be Tampa or Toronto , or Detroit  .   and when you look at the Canes  management  scene  , it's as if we are still operating on a shoe string budge compared to those other teams .  I  know the Canes are a small market team . That does not mean   our management  has to be as well  .    We all heard  great things were going to happen for this team from Dundon   and Im here left Skeptical   about his approach .  I guess we will all know  for sure  when the new season comes rolling in  .   

See, that's what I'm confused about Canesfanforever? You make statements like "canes have not went out to get more scouts", "have no clue as to who will replace Steve Smith" and "other teams that are successful they have a TON of insight for the direction of their team", and I scratch my head at what are your sources. Now sitting behind your keyboard, I have no clue as to who you are, likewise you, me, but unless you are involved in hockey inner circles, how do you come up with these ideas? 

 

With your reference to more scouts, as I recall, that was a huge knock years back, but I'm sure I've read that the Canes have, in fact, in the past few years added more scouts, and just because Joe Nieuwendyk left doesn't mean we were left with no one.

 

As to Steve Smith's departure, is it possible that Waddell, Dundon or whoever was his immediate superior was just as surprised as us on here, thus had no reason to make plans for replacement?

 

As far as insight into the direction the team is headed, I don't see how you can even make that statement, as even with Brind'Amour undoubtedly bringing a new strategy, we are seeing a major evolution to our "Candy Cane" label, what with Hamilton, de Haan and Ferland having been recently acquired. So obviously "the committee" gets it, just maybe a few of us are on different wavelengths? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cc said:

Stop just saying stuff for shock value.  It might result in less negative feedback.

 

We have a few other scouts btw.    So unless you are saying the leaving of one person in the scouting area is a key reason for concern......

Bob Luccini
Bert Marshall
Don Elland
Rob Beatty
Mike Dawson
Daniel Eklund

Robert Kron

Sheldon Ferguson

Dave Hunter
Mark Craig

 

I don't see scouting as an issue. By the way Yorke was just promoted and reports directly to the GM.   https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-announce-hockey-operations-promotions/c-299456294

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:
6 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Focus on this part. It will make you happier. I have concerns over some of Dundon’s moves, but he is the one who paid a ton of money for the team, not me. I feel pretty confident he wants the team to succeed.

I hope so man .  I have my Doubts and would hate to see this team Fail when we are So Close   to making it to the playoffs

So you are saying that you think Dundon bought this team with the desire to see them lose? You constantly say TD needs to prove to you he isn't a cheapskate. I argue the fact that he bought the team is proof. If you extend a little faith that he is telling the truth, like most people do when they first meet someone, you might be able to see what he is trying to build. But if you think everyone is lying and out to get you, then you are going to continue to see the worst in everything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

So you are saying that you think Dundon bought this team with the desire to see them lose? You constantly say TD needs to prove to you he isn't a cheapskate. I argue the fact that he bought the team is proof. If you extend a little faith that he is telling the truth, like most people do when they first meet someone, you might be able to see what he is trying to build. But if you think everyone is lying and out to get you, then you are going to continue to see the worst in everything...

I agree with your premise  but  I  doubt  the direction due to actions from Dundon .  If by " changing the Culture " was  a  to address some of the key issues  the team has been facing for 9 years straight by bettering the team over all we have to look at all that has been done and see how it turns out in the end .  

first lets take a look at the good 

 

Hamilton , Ferland  , Fox for the future is a good start 

de Haan   is also a good start

Resigning  Van Riemsdyk  is  good

 

3 good things so far .  Now lets look at the possible  bad things.

 

No increase of new scouts for  the team  for future drafts ( this could be changed )

Losing Ward

Getting Mrazek to replace Ward 

Keeping Darling despite last years numbers 

Losing Steve Smith who helped  Slavin and Pesce  into 2 great d-men  for the Canes

Rookie coach in Rod Brind'Amour  (  he might do well or he might not .  The Jury is still out on this one maybe )

 

I do not want to see this team Fail .  but the biggest concerns right now is still the Goalie  situation  

It could be a Nothing burger or it could be  what sinks the ship before it takes off the harbor .   

This is why im concerned . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

But if you think everyone is lying and out to get you, then you are going to continue to see the worst in everything...

Oh Yeah. image.png.e8340d13f73681ff6e8f84891dc749de.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

Used his chance to coach Dahlin

Yep, surely would be interesting how these things played out, and if the split with the Canes was amicable? Equally interesting, at least to me, was why our D seemed to take a step backward last year? Couple that with apparently Chuck Kaiton's interview over on Canes Corner(Athletic I think) who is said to have given a glowing accounting of Peters(must admit I haven't listened yet) and I'm further left to wonder how things went so downhill for 17-18 season? Goaltending was certainly at the heart, but the entire team seemed to turn to crap? So, if BP was so masterful at planning, and as Kaiton appears to also suggest, communicated WELL with the players, coupled with Steve Smith's expertise with an anticipated building defense and Rod's physically demanding style, my question is WHAT THE H--L HAPPENED? Something ain't jiving, either that or "Chuck with the letter K" is all wet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I agree with your premise  but  I  doubt  the direction due to actions from Dundon .  If by " changing the Culture " was  a  to address some of the key issues  the team has been facing for 9 years straight by bettering the team over all we have to look at all that has been done and see how it turns out in the end .  

first lets take a look at the good 

 

Hamilton , Ferland  , Fox for the future is a good start 

de Haan   is also a good start

Resigning  Van Riemsdyk  is  good

 

3 good things so far .  Now lets look at the possible  bad things.

 

No increase of new scouts for  the team  for future drafts ( this could be changed )

Losing Ward

Getting Mrazek to replace Ward 

Keeping Darling despite last years numbers 

Losing Steve Smith who helped  Slavin and Pesce  into 2 great d-men  for the Canes

Rookie coach in Rod Brind'Amour  (  he might do well or he might not .  The Jury is still out on this one maybe )

 

I do not want to see this team Fail .  but the biggest concerns right now is still the Goalie  situation  

It could be a Nothing burger or it could be  what sinks the ship before it takes off the harbor .   

This is why im concerned . 

 

Sounds like you have had a change in heart on the Hamilton Ferland Fox trade. Your take originally was is was the worst trade ever......get ready for 9 more years of failure to TD sinking the ship on purpose to allow him to move the Canes to Texas. Loosing Ward when we already know his limitations was not a big deal. Mrazek is only 26 and can spell a back up goalie and can push Darling for the NO1. We knew Ward couldn't be a starter. Smith only let the Canes know during Development Camp that he wanted to explore more options. It had nothing to do with salary.We didn't loose Smith, he wanted something new after being here for years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 4:17 PM, Canesfanforever said:

I would love for the team to make an announcement for the time being  on what's going to happen at least .   Leaving us all in the dark  does not reassure me . 

Waddell's comment,"Rod and I have talked a lot about this type of person, someone who can work and continue to make our players better, someone who can handle the D and the penalty kill," he said. "To me, the experience level is important but also sometimes getting new, fresh ideas from people is equally important."

Waddell said there is no timeline attached to the search for the new assistant coach; it will happen when it happens.

"We started talking when we knew this was going to happen," Waddell said. "Roddy has talked to quite a few guys. It's just a matter of interviewing some people. Whether it happens this week or next week, there's not a huge sense of urgency."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yep, surely would be interesting how these things played out, and if the split with the Canes was amicable? Equally interesting, at least to me, was why our D seemed to take a step backward last year? Couple that with apparently Chuck Kaiton's interview over on Canes Corner(Athletic I think) who is said to have given a glowing accounting of Peters(must admit I haven't listened yet) and I'm further left to wonder how things went so downhill for 17-18 season? Goaltending was certainly at the heart, but the entire team seemed to turn to crap? So, if BP was so masterful at planning, and as Kaiton appears to also suggest, communicated WELL with the players, coupled with Steve Smith's expertise with an anticipated building defense and Rod's physically demanding style, my question is WHAT THE H--L HAPPENED? Something ain't jiving, either that or "Chuck with the letter K" is all wet?

I hope that was the only reason .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean Chynoweth is the new assistant

 

He has experience but not since 2012.  Not sure how to feel on this one.

 

Couple of fight videos on Youtube involving Dean.  The defense wasnt great on the Islanders during his tenure but so was the talent.  So again dont know how I feel about the hire. 

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

So again dont know how I feel about the hire. 

 

Exactly. This is one I wouldn't of guessed in a thousand tries.  I have no reason to think it was a bad hire or a good hire., It is a curious hire. Welcome aboard Dean Chynoweth.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look I'm all in for being open to seeing what happens with all of these management "changes". Our assistants do a have a lot of coaching experience. But I just can't get excited about many of these moves, including this one. I was hoping we'd go outside to find guys who can bring in winning experience with offensive/defensive or at least special teams success on the resume. At least we went 'outside' for this one. Maybe I'm over analyzing it. If you are familiar with Dean Chynoweth and he's not in your personal family then....why? What success? His resume reads like a guy dropping the coaching ladder until now.

 

Maybe at the NHL level systems are overvalued. Brind'Amour has said that after all of his years in hockey and coaching there really aren't many surprises. "Everyone knows what everyone else is doing." (or something like that). So it may come more down to personal traits and style etc. And heck Chynoweth has been coaching a long time. Just that he's not really been winning at it much. 

 

A part of me just keeps thinking that in this whole looking for management types, that we are not commanding access to the cream of the crop as it were. Jobs keep just sort of slipping to guys already here: GM, Coach, Offensive Asst. coach; or guys long on experience, but short on lots of success, which could include Rick Dudley and perhaps Chenyoweth. 

 

Again, these are guys with hockey experience, and who's to say if given a chance they might not be excellent. But we also have no reason to expect that either, since none of them have really had it yet (in coaching/management). Maybe this team becomes the feather in all of their future caps. At least that's the hope.

 

I will add that I do have hope in Brind'Amour. As one of the best captains ever as it is said, he should be a good head coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean Chynoweth  has been bounced around from  team to  team  as a coach .   He  is not who I would consider  a legend  but maybe he has some insight into how he keeps getting hired .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, not a "legend", but I'd rather a competent coach than a legend anyway for this team, who, I believe will be more "blue collar" like their head coach if he affects them like I think he may? From what I've gleaned about Chynoweth, he was a bottom pairing defenseman with a reputation of grittiness and snarl, descriptors that we all have been longing for forever, correct. Others have characterized the man as a "no nonsense person", again paralleling sentiments reflected on these boards calling for "accountability".  Further, I believe his Dad was a coach in the WHL and may be in HOF? Why he doesn't seem to have caught on for very long, and doesn't seem to have been in hockey since 2012 I've not learned but perhaps it's for personal reasons, and like several others are saying, if Brind'Amour played a part in this hire, I'm sure he's been vetted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Nope, not a "legend", but I'd rather a competent coach than a legend anyway for this team, who, I believe will be more "blue collar" like their head coach if he affects them like I think he may? From what I've gleaned about Chynoweth, he was a bottom pairing defenseman with a reputation of grittiness and snarl, descriptors that we all have been longing for forever, correct. Others have characterized the man as a "no nonsense person", again paralleling sentiments reflected on these boards calling for "accountability".  Further, I believe his Dad was a coach in the WHL and may be in HOF? Why he doesn't seem to have caught on for very long, and doesn't seem to have been in hockey since 2012 I've not learned but perhaps it's for personal reasons, and like several others are saying, if Brind'Amour played a part in this hire, I'm sure he's been vetted.

The only disparaging  thing  I have heard about the New coach from other people  and I dont know if there is any  truth to it   so take it as just a rumor .  But from what I heard from other people is that he was abusive to his players as a coach  .  I don't know   if that is true or not but it does sound bad  if that's  what was being said about him .   I can't for see why people would purposely  run down  him  for no other apparent reason .   Im lead to believe  that  he  maybe  didn't please certain individuals   that  wanted more from him  as a coach  and  why the accusations  were made of him  in that matter .     I'm  just  guessing at this moment .  And the sources were from twitter and youtube  from where I found these  statements about him  so I just regard it as nothing more than just hearsay . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit that except for Brind’Amour as HC, I have been underwhelmed by every management/coaching hire since Dundon took over. It would be nice if we brought in SOMEONE from outside the organization who had a recent record of success, or for a management job, had worked as an assistant for a team on the rise like Tampa or Nashville. But as I have said before, Dundon paid a fortune for the team, and that gives him the right to run it as he sees fit. If the team goes off the rails this year, I hope he is man enough to see the error of his ways and make changes following a more traditional path. But I’m not going to presuppose the management and coaching as it is now structured is going to fail. The proof is in the pudding as they say. I do hope this latest coaching hire was Rod’s choice and not someone forced on him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:goodpost: I was going to say something similar, but didn't want to get hosed down by the crowd.  Since BDC said it, I'll just say "what BDC said."

The rest of 2018 shall be interesting.  As the clock turns to 2019, we'll know a lot more then.  I hope I'm praising Mr. Dundon's genius ways at that time, and looking to clink glasses with Mr. Waddell -- instead of spraying that water bottle in his face.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...