The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Brind'amour coaches

Other than the goalie moves, I like what Ive seen so far. As for T.D. and all new CEO's / Owners coming in blind, you have to purge the current admin. Its natural to resist the new guy and try to use your current relationships to block information. T.D. deserves the right and must hire new people who will be loyal and straight forward with information. This is just the begining in my IMO.. 

• Like 1

bcc and wxray, honestly I'm in as much of a quandary as you sound concerning our array of coaches? Part of me feels like you seem, in that it would be "comforting" for there to be known names in the fold as asst. coaches, etc. yet what we could be seeing, and again harkening back to some thoughts I've previously posted, we may be seeing a New Wave started by our upstart owner and his countercultural approach to the staid hockey world? Ergo his sport shirts at events traditionally coat and tie?

Certainly Leadership by Committee seems to set that stage, as well as his appearing to lean on and consult with leaders from sports outside the hockey universe. Will this trend catch on, and facets in hockey be pulled kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, or will it be forcefully stymied, who knows? Better question for me would be , How do I feel about that? Certainly, I do not do statistics well, nor do I relish the thought of mimicking the baseball world's fascination of numbers. What I would like, beyond anything, would be for this team I've grown to love, be respected in the NHL. So, if it takes a brash owner to change the hockey world's opinion of us just 10%, than I'm all in. 

Then too, consider that by going out and searching for what we can consider as "new blood", could that lead to stronger coaching with innovative ideas, rather than the same old in bred ways? IBK, but it is food for thought during these "dog days of summer"

kjun, this is definitely a matter of conflicting feelings.  One one hand, I do like that TD is doing things different.  On the other, I'm like, what the hell, Waddell as GM?  That's not different.

This whole situation is very unsettling, hopefully in a good way.  I hope the stale fan experience really changes too.

I'm going to give it a chance, for sure, even among the conflicting feelings, observations and emotions.  My seats and games are selected, and I'm looking forward to the season.  We'll know a lot more by the new year, hopefully still in playoff contention at that time.

And my dig about the tournament was real, and something that I don't think will happen under TD and Brindy's watch.  This crap of farming out our coaches at a critical time during team formation is bs and has to stop.  I can't see Brindy missing the start of camp, and I don't think TD would want to "lose value" by letting him away at that time.  

Peters being away at start of training camp always bothered me too, wxray, and I've posted this feeling before. I mean, look at it this way, the league gripes when the Olympics come around and players opt to play for their country, yet BP and a few others interrupt a very crucial, formative time in their team's development of their upcoming season's "game" for some selfish reason or who knows what. Is that a double standard?

55 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Peters being away at start of training camp always bothered me too, wxray, and I've posted this feeling before. I mean, look at it this way, the league gripes when the Olympics come around and players opt to play for their country, yet BP and a few others interrupt a very crucial, formative time in their team's development of their upcoming season's "game" for some selfish reason or who knows what. Is that a double standard?

I hated his being away for that mess as well.  The only positive spin i could try putting on it was that he would be working with top Canadian players and maybe they'd all fall in love with him and want to come to Carolina, but we all knew that wasn't really going to happen.  I don't have much bad to say about Peters, but that's one place where i thought he was utterly irresponsible when it came to the team that was paying his salary.

I know we want more physicality, but I hope the new D coach doesn't try to change Slavin's style on defense.  He doesn't really hit, but paraphrasing what I think opposing forwards must be thinking most nights: "that PITA is always in the freaking way!"

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I know we want more physicality, but I hope the new D coach doesn't try to change Slavin's style on defense.  He doesn't really hit, but paraphrasing what I think opposing forwards must be thinking most nights: "that PITA is always in the freaking way!"

I'm hoping, and it's partly based on the things being discussed in the other thread, that that kind of thing won't happen.  Get the guys in shape and let them play their game.  I still think that's a lot of what went wrong with Lack.  He obviously wasn't the second coming of Ken Dryden, but he had a lot more going for him until he got to Raleigh and, by accounts, had a goaltending coach who tried to change his style.  Let the guys do what got them there and good things can happen, i think.  Like you're saying.