The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

The 2018-19 Canes Captain Thread (it's too early but hey, why not?)

Probably too early since we don't even know for sure who will actually be here in the fall, but I'm sure the topic will merit it's own thread at some point, so here goes.

I recently noticed that Vegas didn't even have a captain this year; instead, they had 5 Assistant Captains.  Apparently that didn't negatively impact their season to any great extent :P (<--- tongue in cheek). Upon reflection, is it possible that having co-captains last season didn't actually hurt the team, that if anything, perhaps the issue was more who the co-captains were?  If you look across different sports some very successful recent franchises have had multiple captains.  The San Antonio Sours have 3 in a sport with about half the number of players of a hockey team.  The New England Patriots have 7, although a football team carries a little more than twice as many players as a hockey team.  Most baseball teams don't even name captains anymore.  While there is leadership among the players, it's not formalized.    

Canes have already indicated that they'll have 1 Captain next season so that's not an issue.  But beyond that, I'm leaning in the direction of a leadership group rather than the traditional 1C, 2A approach.  Willy or Staal with the C, the other with an A, joined by Aho, Slavin, and Skinner (if he's still around) all with A's. 

Let the traditionalists head exploding begin! :grin:

p.s. Faulk is a problem when it comes to the Captaincies, imo.  If he's here, I don't know how you'd avoid including him with the As without risking a hit to his psyche that could affect his performance.  On the other hand, my take on Faulk is that he doesn't have the personality to lead and may be a bigger part of the "culture problem" than any other single player on the Canes, which is a big part of why I think it's important to move him this offseason. (I recognize that opinions on Faulk will vary, of course)

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

im with you on Faulk , but who we get back is the question .     granted if  everyone stays except , Skinner , Faulk ,  Hanifin ,  Rask ,  Lindholm ,  Staal ,  , just throwing it out there cause anything is possible  .

guys who id see in order of who are more than likely to  be the captain ,

1. Williams ,

2. Aho 

3.  if by option in getting in free agency  ( Tavares ) 

4. if by option in trade  that would be the most ideal player  and shows leadership . 

after that  it's anyone's grab 

now if we still keep  Skinner ,  Hanifin , Lindholm  , Staal , Rask ,  and Faulk  

the only real option for captain would be  is Staal . 

so who gets to be  assistant ?

Hanifin

Williams ,

Aho ,

Skinner .  

Lindholm .

so it narrows it down to who among them 

my best guess would be Aho  and Hanifin 

then after 3 or 4 years put the C on Svechnikov

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

p.s. Faulk is a problem when it comes to the Captaincies, imo.  If he's here, I don't know how you'd avoid including him with the As without risking a hit to his psyche that could affect his performance.  On the other hand, my take on Faulk is that he doesn't have the personality to lead and may be a bigger part of the "culture problem" than any other single player on the Canes, which is a big part of why I think it's important to move him this offseason. (I recognize that opinions on Faulk will vary, of course)

Being named co-captain certainly didn't elevate his game - maybe removing his letter is part of the answer for him.

I think that it might be difficult to remove the C from Jordan. Removing the C from Faulk but not Jordan would be a pretty big slap to Faulk. The weeny way out would be to just hand it to Williams, but that's like punishing two people because you can't figure out which one did the crime. This is part of what just seems to make it seem so clear to this amateur observer that Faulk is at the tippy top of the "likely to be traded" list. Trade Faulk, keep Jordan as Captain, add Williams. 

Now if Skinner is also moved, who gets the second 'A'? 

That's way more open. If we get a ROR or Tavares in here, maybe them, if not, I'd probably look to Slavin so we had a guy from the D. But that would be the most open to me.

Regardless of who is here and who isn't, I'd like to see Aho get it.

But, I expect Willy to get it.

Which can only mean: Staal will get it. 

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

a hit to his psyche that could affect his performance. 

This suggests his performance could actually be worse. It can't.

• Like 1

All I know is Brindy said naming the leadership team will be his easiest task.  That means he knows who it is already.

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not to challenge but why would you like to see him captain since he has very little of what would be required to be one?  He just has not been around long enough and had enough NHL hockey to build himself up to the job. He is a up and coming talent to be sure but can he lead men.  At this point he might not be able to handle the communication with all the players on the team as well. I personnally could not like someone to be captain that does not provide the best chance to win when the leadership a captain provides is needed.   I have never really understood making 20 somethings captains. Just my opinion  Give him a few years.

9 minutes ago, cc said:

Not to challenge but why would you like to see him captain since he has very little of what would be required to be one?  He just has not been around long enough and had enough NHL hockey to build himself up to the job. He is a up and coming talent to be sure but can he lead men.  At this point he might not be able to handle the communication with all the players on the team as well. I personnally could not like someone to be captain that does not provide the best chance to win when the leadership a captain provides is needed.   I have never really understood making 20 somethings captains. Just my opinion  Give him a few years.

Frankly I surprised myself, cc. But assuming Skinner is gone, (1) the brain trust (read: Dundon) thinks he's the only guy leaving it all out there every shift, and (2) he is clearly going to be around a while. We can't say the same thing with confidence of too many others.

I'd be fine with a Slavin (or Willy, or Staal) captaincy, but there are intangibles that accrue to giving a highly skilled, young, somewhat lightweight guy who is already the team's franchise-player-apparent the C: Not least, that any opposing player who even thinks about cheap-shotting him will pay.

On the leadership question, I think there is no better leadership style than leading by example. There is no question, even at this early stage of his career, that Aho has all the tools to do that--in spades.

1 hour ago, cc said:

I was watching a game during Aho's rookie season when they cut to a shot of Aho drawing up a play to an attentive co-captain Jordan Staal on the bench during the middle of a game. Granted, it was just one incident, but I was impressed to see a rookie comfortable enough to take on that role. 

Another positive indicator is Aho's apparent knowledge of the game.  His nickname in Finland was "The Professor" because of his hockey IQ.  Sometime teammate Patrkik Laine said that Aho might be the smartest player he has had as a teammate, noting, “His head is like a computer.”

And here's a quote from Aho that I think points towards leadership qualities:  “It’s hard to think about your own game when the team loses.  That’s one thing I really want to change. I can’t be satisfied with my own game when the team is losing.”

I'm not saying give Aho the C, but depending on Brindy's observations of what actually went on in the locker room last year, I'd be happy with him as an alternate.  As I alluded to in my OP, I see the composition of a players "leadership group" being as or more important than just who wears the C.

Edited by LakeLivin

Absolutely no issue with the "A" right out of the box.  C in one year as I look at J Willie as a bridge to the cup. AND with the right cast around him J Willie may just be able to pull a Whitney and be here to win another one.  I know I know- Fantasy- But Good fantasy.

I have 3 suggestions:

J Willie

J Willie

J Willie

This is as much about honest dedication to your team and "doing whatever it takes" that all seem to fall short in comparison.  Jordan is capable, and a strong - A.  

Ask yourself with the game on the line who would stop a puck with their shin guard rolled out of the way?  or would screen a goalie knowing a hard slap shot may ride high into their chin..?  Someone like that that doesn't ever take a shift off is who it outta be.  My 2-cents.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I was watching a game during Aho's rookie season when they cut to a shot of Aho drawing up a play to an attentive co-captain Jordan Staal on the bench during the middle of a game.

He does it constantly. He assesses what the opposition is giving and where it's tight and makes sure everybody on the bench knows. 

I might be Willy's biggest fan, and have some of the hesitation others have expressed about young players getting the C, so I'd be fine if he's the bridge to "C"Bass. But a big part of me just wants to see the brain trust say, "It's your team. Lead the way."

On 6/11/2018 at 6:45 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

But, I expect Willy to get it.

Which can only mean: Staal will get it. 

I agree with your assessment but Staal is not worthy of it! I expect Williams to be offered the position but not sure he wants it.

I agree Staal's not the perfect fit when you've got Williams around but unworthy is some harsh words for a guy who when he's been injured or out for personal reasons we've seen the team completely tank without. 

We all know that there is the huge caveat that we're not in the room etc, etc, but to me Jordan has provided solid leadership. He's not the rah rah, break sticks, kick over the watercooler kind of guy, but just seems solid. As much as the slowness to name him a couple of years ago might have been about him not being an obvious leader, I can't help but think a lot of it was also the idea of going with another Staal. Now he can be eased into it with a year of no captain and a year of co captains.

My thought is that Jordan is not being traded, so to me there are two ways I'd go:

1. Faulk is traded. Leave the C with Staal add Williams with an A,

2. Faulk stays, Give the C to Williams, and A's to Staal and Faulk (or Skinner). (Personally I'd go completely off the board and go Staal plus...maybe Slavin).

1 hour ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I agree with your assessment but Staal is not worthy of it! 

I used to think that too, but not being in the room, I don't know. And while he's waaaaay too quiet on the ice for my liking - given that the Cs and As are the only guys permitted to question the refs - too many guys called him a leader in the room after his personal tragedy late in the year. Yeah, that's typically what guys "just do," but I got the distinct feeling it was genuine in Jordan's case.

I won't get back on my Skinner soapbox... okay, yes I will. The fact that he was not deemed worthy of the captaincy despite being the most eloquent guy in the room and putting together back-to-back career years--after being quite publicly called out by BP--is nothing short of ridiculous. The org is doing a great job of (1) ignoring that he managed to put up 50 points with zero help last year, and (2) using that (supposedly) "down" year to justify unloading him. It's disingenuous on the part of the organization to a degree equivalent with what it did in pulling the C from Rod, and if we do move him and he hurts us at some point in the future, it'll serve us right.  

I'm not quite as passionate about Skinner as you Top, but I'm definitely leaning in your direction when it comes to last year's captaincy.  From my couch, if we weren't going to give J Will the C (before he ever played a game with the team), Skinner clearly seemed like the best candidate to me.

See, sometimes we do agree. :P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm not quite as passionate about Skinner as you Top, but I'm definitely leaning in your direction.  From my couch, if we weren't going to give J Will the C (before he ever played a game with the team), Skinner clearly seemed like the best candidate to me.

See, sometimes we do agree.

I know he could be better defensively. So could every other forward on the team, with the possible exceptions of Staal and Rask. But the fact that he elevated his d-side play so immediately and convincingly--and maintained it throughout the following year--is what really stood out for me. It was like a lightbulb went off for him: "If I can steal the puck in their end, I can do it in ours, too!!"

This is why I've consistently pointed to his lack of help in the o-zone in the season just ended in explaining the diametric difference in his d-side play. People complained about his +/-, but anybody who isolated on him would have noticed the same thing I did: He was regularly maintaining possession in the o-zone, while his linemates were arriving when they were damned good and ready. Anybody who has played the game will tell you that in itself is no mean feat. To also get back and bail them out in the other end as well is nigh impossible.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I will say this, it sure seemed like the team publicly floated Skinner's name for the C, and then didn't give it to him, but not only did they deem someone else better, they deemed 2 someone else's better. Had to be a let down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

I will say this, it sure seemed like the team publicly floated Skinner's name for the C, and then didn't give it to him, but not only did they deem someone else better, they deemed 2 someone else's better. Had to be a let down.

Yeah, and given that it was BP doing the floating, it sure seems like RF may have ultimately influenced the decision towards Faulk and Staal.  Pure speculation on my part . . .

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yet he picked up exactly where he'd left off the prior year: 9 points in his first 10 games, before the lack of help emptied his tank. 

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, and given that it was BP doing the floating, it sure seems like RF may have ultimately influenced the decision towards Faulk and Staal.  Pure speculation on my part . . .

And the rift between Peters and Skinner just seemed to worsen too. 

To me the million dollar question is where Brindy was on Skinner, and where he is on Skinner.

Based on all of the rumors, I have to think he's fine with him being traded.