The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

The 2018-19 Canes Captain Thread (it's too early but hey, why not?)

Maybe rem, just maybe, Brind'Amour remembers back to when he was unceremoniously "relieved" of the C given to #12, and how he responded, not with sulking but continuing on like a good soldier? Would it be possible that the reaction he observed in Skinner did not please him? Some form of entitlement? Just saying

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Maybe rem, just maybe, Brind'Amour remembers back to when he was unceremoniously "relieved" of the C given to #12, and how he responded, not with sulking but continuing on like a good soldier? Would it be possible that the reaction he observed in Skinner did not please him? Some form of entitlement? Just saying

Could be. I really have no idea, but it invites speculation.

I am hearing some say that the return on Skinner might be better than expected given only one year on his deal. 

I thought is was odd that the media floated Skinner as a captain last year.  Personally, I don't see that he has any qualities that would make him a good captain.  I like the player, but I just don't see a captain in him, or even a letter for that matter.

Also, I don't see where giving the C to Williams would present a problem for Jordan, but that's just a guess.  I'd be fine with Jordan too.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Slavin get a letter as well.  Or even Aho.

The good news is I don't see the team doing anything as stupid as last year with that co-captain thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I thought is was odd that the media floated Skinner as a captain last year.  Personally, I don't see that he has any qualities that would make him a good captain.  I like the player, but I just don't see a captain in him, or even a letter for that matter.

Also, I don't see where giving the C to Williams would present a problem for Jordan, but that's just a guess.  I'd be fine with Jordan too.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Slavin get a letter as well.  Or even Aho.

The good news is I don't see the team doing anything as stupid as last year with that co-captain thing.

Strongly agree with this...although I don’t like the player as much.

• Like 1

I hope if they give letter to Aho it will not end the same way as with EStall. Aho is going to be paid next off-season and last year's showcase night suggests that he might be a face of franchise. It might be already enough pressure without a letter

• Like 1

For me, the C stays on Staal unless he doesn't want it. I know Williams is a favorite of many, but I still have concerns over his not standing with teammates during the national anthem. If it is part of his pregame ritual then no harm no foul, but it also could be interpreted as he was to good to be with them. I could also be a little biased. As an old school Marine, I stand respectfully for others national anthems and expect the same courtesy be shown to mine. I was not favorably influenced when I glanced down to Williams doing stretches and skating off to the goal before the anthem concluded.

I'm More than ever locked in on Justin Williams as the Captain of the team  .  Seeing how he was able to interact with players and show that leadership quality the canes So Desperately need  and him being known  for years as one of the best locker room guys  you could have I think it would be wise to have him take over for now  and maybe Jordan Staal can take the ship in 2 years  afterwords . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I think that putting Justin in front of the rookies today is a clear indication of the organization's and more specifically Brind'Amour's intent for the C.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, DevildogKodi said:

For me, the C stays on Staal unless he doesn't want it.

How can it stay on him if he does not have it yet. (at least not fully) I thought all we had was rotating"A's" last year.  Home and Away.

4 hours ago, cc said:

How can it stay on him if he does not have it yet. (at least not fully) I thought all we had was rotating"A's" last year.  Home and Away.

That was 2 years ago. Last year Staal and Faulk were co-captains, Skinner with an "A".

Edited by LakeLivin

Why yank the C from Staal for a short term Williams tenure? Stick with Staal, maybe not the TV personality, but has connection with the room.

I would leave it with Staal, but it sounds like Brindy is set on giving it to Williams.

BYW: I always thought it was supposed to be the players who voted on who would be captain?  Where did I get that idea from?

I heard JWilley in an interview right after the season. He said both Staal and Faulk were good in their leadership roles. It was in response to a query asking if he was surprised he didn't get a leadership role. I expect if Williams isn't named Captain he will at least get an A. He did say there are leadership roles in the locker room even if you don't have a letter.

Sebastian Aho: ”I could give my personal achievement (being the best in scoring on the roster) away in the case as to do it better as a team (if that’d help). The success of the team is my salt and pepper giving me the most kicks.”

About the next season: “We’re not aiming for the last spot in the playoffs but for the top spot in the playoffs. “

He's young so maybe he doesn't need the letter, but he is so the captain of this team!  Just watch game highlights from last season where he is telling then captain Faulk where to line up on the power play.
Edited by cclifford10
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, OBXer said:

I heard JWilley in an interview right after the season. He said both Staal and Faulk were good in their leadership roles. It was in response to a query asking if he was surprised he didn't get a leadership role. I expect if Williams isn't named Captain he will at least get an A. He did say there are leadership roles in the locker room even if you don't have a letter.

40 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Sebastian Aho: ”I could give my personal achievement (being the best in scoring on the roster) away in the case as to do it better as a team (if that’d help). The success of the team is my salt and pepper giving me the most kicks.”

About the next season: “We’re not aiming for the last spot in the playoffs but for the top spot in the playoffs. “

He's young so maybe he doesn't need the letter, but he is so the captain of this team!  Just watch game highlights from last season where he is telling then captain Faulk where to line up on the power play.

We can get worked up over who wears what letter, but Vegas didn't even have a "C" last year. They went with 5 "A"s and it didn't seem to hurt them all that much.:P

Kind of reinforces what I see both posts above somewhat alluding to, leadership is leadership, and isn't necessarily dependent on a certain letter.  [and cclinford, I also noticed Aho showing signs, even in his first year] 

Edited by LakeLivin