The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

New system or out with the old ?

when you think of the system that the canes have been using  under previous coaches for the canes ,  Laviolette  , Maurice ,  Mueller , and then Peters .  you have to wonder what strategies  will Brind'amour  run for the canes ?  im partial to the trap   such as a 1-3-1  or a trotz  trap of 1-4    but  i think if you want  things to be interesting  you have to run a 1-2-2 passive defense , it allows for a  quick transition game that can catch a lot of team trying to take the center ice  to pass off to a winger trying to carry the puck  in the zone .    as for a forecheck , nothing two crazy like a 2-3  , something simple like a 1-2-2   forecheck could help the canes not only  gain entry into the zone  but also allow them to be in their face at all times when going back to play defense  .  then again i dont know what system  Rod has in mind for the canes , we have the talent for a quick transition game , we have the blue liners to  pinch when they need to and  help keep the puck in the zone if need be to generate shots on the net ,  but i find that the goals that would be scored more often as when you can get in  the zone to    catch a team off balance  or off  position before they can barely set up and then take your shot/s  on net and get out of there for another quick transition .  most goals in the nhl are scored that way .  and it makes for exciting hockey .  that's just my two cents ,  what do you all think  ? 

Edited by Canesfanforever

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think you should quit making so many threads and discover the cap key.

Seriously! I don't mean to be unkind, but your writing looks like rambling gibberish. You might actually be making some good points, but I find it very difficult to read. Please pay attention to how you write as well as what you write. I'm not trying to be mean, I am trying to be helpful.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

you have to wonder what strategies  will Brind'amour  run for the canes ? 

With the draft and FA market pending and all the trade rumors, the least thing I'm wondering about is what system Brindy might be using.

As Justin Williams said in a recent interview, there are only so many ways you can play hockey.

I think you could of asked this question in the Off-Season talk topic instead of starting a new topic. Just a thought for you to consider.

A reminder to everyone. Lets respect everyone who joins us.  Disagreeing with a point of view is acceptable but not if it is taken to a personal level. .

Amen OBXer, I'll 2nd that and just add how much I enjoy learning fro so many different points of view, UNTIL attacks get personal. You can dismiss it as "Southern Hospitality" or any other colloquial saying to poke fun at being respectful, but I invite any who do to shift over onto several other fan sites and experience the vitriol I've seen 1st hand. So much time is spent on those sites attacking each other, discussion on hockey seems to be 2ndary. 

Anyways back to the topic  which needs to be addressed .   The canes could run a fast pace system that  can get pass  defenders  but the question is  do we have the talent to play the other side of the puck for defense  ? Last year the canes ranked 23rd on goals for , 22nd  for goals against  .  I  believe  you can still get a quicker transition  game from the canes  if the team ran a slower system that clogged  the neutral zone .   But the danger of just that is tiring your team on the ice  very quickly if they have to chase dumped pucks from  the other team .    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Anyways back to the topic  which needs to be addressed .   The canes could run a fast pace system that  can get pass  defenders  but the question is  do we have the talent to play the other side of the puck for defense  ? Last year the canes ranked 23rd on goals for , 22nd  for goals against  .  I  believe  you can still get a quicker transition  game from the canes  if the team ran a slower system that clogged  the neutral zone .   But the danger of just that is tiring your team on the ice  very quickly if they have to chase dumped pucks from  the other team .    

Capital letters

:yippee:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

A lot will depend on the make up of the team when all the changes are made. A very skilled team will play a puck possession game, but if we become a big, fast team that can punish the D, then we can play an effective dump and chase game. I think a good coach will evaluate his players, and determine a system based on the teams strengths. And, thank you for cleaning up your posts. I didn't want to hurt your feelings, but since you are a passionate fan, and post often, I wanted to be able to read your posts. No offense was intended.

• Like 2

Any system that does not turn every player into a "play-the-right-way" clone would be a welcomed change.  IMO, Peters system suffocated offensive creativity, and didn't allow individual players unique skills to play to their advantage.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Are you reall Don Waddell looking to the fans for answers? 

Bingo

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Any system that does not turn every player into a "play-the-right-way" clone would be a welcomed change.  IMO, Peters system suffocated offensive creativity, and didn't allow individual players unique skills to play to their advantage.  

I agree-If the system does not change how can we expect the mode of play to change.  Just wondering.

It's real simple. You break out of your zone much as Peters' system did, with feeds from the half-boards to the area between the top of your circles and your blue line. You carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed and hand off to an open man the minute you gain the offensive blue line.

What you don't do - except when changing lines - is dump and chase. Ever. Creating a 50-50 puck, or worse, giving it away entirely, is never sound hockey. It's lazy hockey--which we've all seen more than enough of from this organization.

When a team is really going, both offensive and defensive strategies go out the window, because it is playing too fast to be contained by them. Think back to the couple of games immediately after Jooris and Kruger got the gate: Crisp passing, incredible speed, finishing every check. That's the kind of hockey I want to see, every time out. 

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think the team has been the victim of too much system.  As long as the system is fast and attacks the radioactive blue ice, I'm good.

• Like 1

Offensive style, less boring.  Aggressive.  Fans forgive gaffes if they are entertained more often.  Endless cycling the puck around the edges excites nobody.

I would start with the Lav style and modify it from there to fit our team skills.  Even Mo was more aggressive than us this last season.

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

Offensive style, less boring.  Aggressive.  Fans forgive gaffes if they are entertained more often.  Endless cycling the puck around the edges excites nobody.

I would start with the Lav style and modify it from there to fit our team skills.  Even Mo was more aggressive than us this last season.

Laviolette's  system ran  a 1-2-2  forecheck  with a 1-2-2 neutral zone  defense .   It's a great system to run if you so happen to have a great defense and great goalie which the Preds have.   Carolina has a  decent defense  with  sub-par goal tending. 

Maurice's system ran a  2-3 with  a 1-2-2  neutral zone defense also   .   It's a  quick transition game  offense with  a tough  defense to get by .    The Jets  also have a strong  defense and have great goal tending in net .  Carolina is capable of a quick transition game  like the jets  but lack the strong defense and strong net presence . 

Edited by Canesfanforever