The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Lindholm and Hanifin

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

His numbers are better when he played as the top line hitman to protect Monahan.  I believe he’ll serve the same role with us for Aho and Turbo.  His numbers could be just as inflated because he is on our top line.

Ferland  is  a ufa next year .  I hope  he   can show that he is worth being on that top spot  as maybe a rental .   I suspect Svechnikov might see some 1st line treatment  eventually this year but  thats a matter of how he can hold up in a 82 game season .   The canes need to think longer term success not short term because with short term  you have to rebuild  when the short term is over . I dont think anyone wants that  to happen   any time soon .

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ferland  is  a ufa next year .  I hope  he   can show that he is worth being on that top spot  as maybe a rental .   I suspect Svechnikov might see some 1st line treatment  eventually this year but  thats a matter of how he can hold up in a 82 game season .   The canes need to think longer term success not short term because with short term  you have to rebuild  when the short term is over . I dont think anyone wants that  to happen   any time soon .

Due to our lack of physicality from the current team, lack of big hitters in Charlotte, and the numerous amounts of young talent that will be on the roster over the next couple of years:

I’d expect if Ferland scores 15+ goals and has 70+ hits, we keep him long term.  We need more players like McGinn/Ferland to protect these young guys.

Edited by gocanes0506

26 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Well, we either get him to sign, or trade him at the deadline. Or, package him now for a goalie. Then, you would basically have your Lindholm for a goalie trade that you thought should have been done in the first place.

Hamilton will upgrade our power play and allow us to trade Faulk. He's ok as a #4 defensemen, but not better than Hanifin on D. He is big, but not physical.  Ferland is a 4th line LW that hits everything.  He's a good addition to the team, but not to the extent being talked about here.  He is also a little redundant with Martinook.  I wonder if either of them can play the off wing? Put the right center between them and we could have the makings of a pretty nasty 4th line.  As far as NHL talent, Calgary got the better of this trade.  This had to be more about "culture" than talent. I also agree that Hanifin never wanted to be here. Fox will be the wildcard that determines who won the trade. I still think trading Lindy now is a mistake. I bet he gets close to 60 playing on Calgary's top line.  We will have to see what we get for Faulk to see if this move makes us a better team.  We now need a 2nd line RW or a 1st line C, depending on where Aho is going to play.

I think so much of this trade came from the idea that both Hanifin and Lindholm (through their agents) were wanting elite player money.  Neither has shown to be elite...yet.  Rask got good player money, and the jury is still out on that one.   How many guys can you pay for potential and not proven play?  I too think Hanifin's heart is still in Boston.  He held up RF in his rookie deal by saying he wasn't going to the AHL, that it was either Canes or college.  

We are seeing culture change in Carolina.  I like it

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

We are seeing culture change in Carolina.  I like it

I'm not sure I like it at least just yet. I'm still wondering what happens when we get in a contract negotiation with a player that clearly deserves top money. A culture change is needed and thus far I applaud the effort. It is refreshing to watch.

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm not sure I like it at least just yet. I'm still wondering what happens when we get in a contract negotiation with a player that clearly deserves top money. A culture change is needed and thus far I applaud the effort. It is refreshing to watch.

Well, business as usual has worked so well for us

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I think if we have a guy that deserves top money, we give it to him. I guess the problem was it a combination of, what they thought, a guy that did not deserve the money he wanted, and a guy,that was rumored, did not want to be here.

14 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hamilton who is good now  but  he is only in his prime  for maybe  2 or 4 years

Uh... no.

• Defencemen perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 34 years old.

More details here.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Well, business as usual has worked so well for us

I'm saying quite the opposite. I said it is refreshing to watch and I applaud the effort. I like this trade for whatever prompted it. I'm not yet sold on the Dundon way but whatever works I'm for

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

We now need a 2nd line RW or a 1st line C, depending on where Aho is going to play.

Unless there's another shoe to drop (ROR?), I think Lindy's departure signals that Aho is now our 1C. Perhaps you are forgetting TT's ability to play either side (since he's listed at LW). I think Zeke-Aho-TT was good enough late in the year that Zeke and Svech will compete for first line slots. If it's Zeke, TT plays RW. If it's Svech, and Skinner is still here, Zeke might bump down to 3LW.

Zykov-Aho-TT

Skinner-Staal-Willy/Svech

Agree with the rest of your post, except that "mistake" might be too strong a word re Lindy. TD is sending a message that when we say it's our best offer, prepare to live by your decision. I hate that he made Lindy an example of that, but it was going to be someone, as you suggest. I'll also just note that, while their total hits were all but equal last year, Hamilton's three extra inches of height provide an intimidation factor that Hanifin lacks. Maybe working with Smith and Roddy will bring out the be(a)st in him.

Edited by top-shelf-1
clarity

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

When Tavares re-ups with the Isles, the price for Skinner could go sky high...think a 1st, a top player AND a top prospect (or a variation thereof).

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

When Tavares re-ups with the Isles, the price for Skinner could go sky high...think a 1st, a top player AND a top prospect (or a variation thereof).

I will be surprised at that unless Skins signs an extension with his destination team as part of the deal.  If we do get a top pick,player and prospect I will be one happy camper.

And I think we might want to think twice before moving Skinner but that deal would be so sweet

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

And I think we might want to think twice before moving Skinner but that deal would be so sweet

After yesterday's trade, I'm on the "don't trade him unless the deal is unbelievable" bandwagon...
Faulk, on the other hand...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Solid article from DeCock

recaps the trade, draft, future 

This part was the most damning:

You have to give something up to get something; otherwise, you end up making no trades at all. For four years.

Interesting on the article that Ferland is a recovering alcoholic...maybe he and Mongo can feed off of each other in common strength.

I also liked this snippet:

And the trade also sent a message to the room that even top-five picks aren't untouchable, especially those who have been given much and earned little, and a message to agents that the new regime may be unorthodox, but it won't be bullied.

This perfectly illustrated why I wasn't too broken up to see either be traded.  They just didn't earn that new monster contract after all the hype of being top 5 (and top 10) picks.

Edited by AWACSooner

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I doubt it is that high.  I think it may be a big prospect and a conditional 1st (re-signing) if not its a 2nd.

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Interesting on the article that Ferland is a recovering alcoholic...maybe he and Mongo can feed off of each other in common strength.

That is a very interesting point, I hope they can be great friends because I'm not sure Darling has many right now (in the locker room).

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

I doubt it is that high.  I think it may be a big prospect and a conditional 1st (re-signing) if not its a 2nd.

That's too low...it'd need to be a first AND a top prospect to even begin the negotiations...

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

This part was the most damning:

It is a good article that had a plenty of “interesting” points. I was surprised to see the personal information in there but it may help Darling (although I have no knowledge of or would I speculate that was the issue last season).

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

It is a good article that had a plenty of “interesting” points. I was surprised to see the personal information in there but it may help Darling (although I have no knowledge of or would I speculate that was the issue last season).

I think the issue was medically diagnosed as "out-of-shape" 

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

After yesterday's trade, I'm on the "don't trade him unless the deal is unbelievable" bandwagon...
Faulk, on the other hand...

Yeah I was also cautioning trading Faulk unless we could replace him with a right shot, offensive minded, puck handler, power play quarterback. We did so shop away.

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

That's too low...it'd need to be a first AND a top prospect to even begin the negotiations...

You'd get both at the TD if the Canes are out of picture. To me, suspending talks until January makes even more sense now. Put him on one of the top two lines. If we're as good as we should be, re-up him then. If not, you'll have takers regardless.

• Like 2