Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Lindholm and Hanifin

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Thats good to see .   I loved  some of the trivial things he would do that I thought were helpful to the canes and it is a shame that many people on here don't see it but  he was progressing in points  year after year  .  and when he stated out he was 18 years old .  3 years in and people  blame him for not being what they thought he would be  by ignoring the fact he is just 21 years of age  , he is still a young buck .  I have no doubt  The Flames   will develop him better than the Canes did  and maybe faster  .  It will be a culture shock  for him  when he see fans in the arena  at home games that are not the first or last games of the season .   

I think Hanifin's biggest issue was that he would rather be back in Boston than Carolina. It really doesn't matter how much, or how little progress he's made if his heart isn't in it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

It will be a culture shock  for him  when he see fans in the arena  at home games that are not the first or last games of the season .   

 

Was this comment needed? Especially on the official Hurricanes message board?

 

We hear enough of this kind of crap in other media outlets, we don’t need to see it here. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be in the minority but I like this Trade a lot.. right from the start I thought we got the better end of this.. I mean this what is needed.. no more keeping people we drafted just because they "might be elite someday"  I liked the  way Lindholm played.. but he couldn't score.. and 5M .. way too much.  Hanafin also liked him.. but he was soft and I'm sorry I don't think he was that great on DF.. and I know he scored some.. but not enough to be missed IMHO. Not to mention Hanafin reportedly didn't want to even be here from the start.   Will they light it up now that they are gone? Who knows. They could and if they do good for them.. but we needed some changes..  and we got a good d man that can score .. and a hard hitting forward that scored what would put up on the high end of the canes...  and  the young guy.  Even though the Canadian media is quick to point possible negs.. I think the Canes made a good move here. 

It was also nice to find an article that somewhat verified my views.

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-puzzling-hamilton-trade-plus-draft-grades-210811138.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I think Hanifin's biggest issue was that he would rather be back in Boston than Carolina. It really doesn't matter how much, or how little progress he's made if his heart isn't in it.

Reportedly, Hanifin says that he is good friends with Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I have to admit that I'm seeing this trade through Flame coloured glasses.

 

I for one enjoyed reading your comments from a Flame perspective but please don't buy into the thought we are a bunch of no hockey knowledge bumpkins. Most of the members on this board are hockey people. They have had twenty years experience with an NHL club and before that this area had a viable minor league club. We also had TV just like you and could follow the Atlanta Flames or Caps on a regular basis. Many of us like me grew up in other hockey areas. I was raised on the Rangers, Flyers and Islanders. I'm talking ancient history but hockey history all the same.

As long as you are respectful to us we will be respectful to you. Understand this is a Carolina fan board and we can be passionate.

 

I will take a stab at this trade.

Hamilton is the best player involved. From a Carolina perspective he brings an offensive game and a certain toughness we may have lacked on the right side. His presence also has opened up options for future trades by us. We have gone 9 years without a playoff and are entering a 5th year rebuild. I think most hockey people will agree at some point you have to make moves to complete a rebuild.

 

Hanifin is probable  the player with the most potential. Many here believed he shouldn't be traded because of that potential. His departure weakens our left D and we will probable need to acquire another D man. For you you get a great young promising Dman that can play now. He isn't or shouldn't be a top pair but if promise turn to reality in a couple of years he could be,

 

 Ferland seems to be a player that will make us bigger and tougher while not losing too much if any point production. I have no idea where he slots.

 

Lindy is another player that has potential to become better. At the moment he is a solid depth player. A player who has become hard to play against and could break out at any moment. He is just as likely to be a player that what you see now is what you get. I would be asking myself that although he showed signs of breaking out last season he hasn't yet under Bill Peters coaching. Can he ...maybe.

 

Fox  was the sweetner in the deal. He at least gave us a chance to add him to a promising group of future players. Lets face it he wasn't going to sign in Calgary so you gave up nothing although we gained a chance at him but not a guarantee.

 

They say the best trades are trades where everyone gets their needs met. no winners or loser. This may be one of those trades.

 

Of course this analysis is coming from what one of our members has already told you is a less than savvy hockey fandom. So you can make up your own mind.

 

( oh and one of my hometown fellows Emanuel Davis is playing for your Stamps so I guess I am a Calgary fan at least for the CFL season)

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen written in a few places that "Hanifin was an All Star so he must be good".

 

For those using that logic please note that we had no-one worthy of an All-Star appearance and he was our one mandatory pick, probably because he had the most goals among our DMen at the time and the Metro had so many good forwards and needed a DMan for the 3 on 3.

 

I wish Noah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Hindsight  I'd say knowing now that Fox will come and play for the Canes  in the future makes this an even trade    ,  Canes give up Hanifin and Lindholm  and get back Hamilton  and  a Future D-man in Fox  that has loads of up coming  potential  that helps our future stay  intact .   Ferland  might of had a Career year  and that is nice to have coming to the canes   the only reason I see why Lindholm was part of the trade was because to help sweeten the trade  , Ferland will be a UFA  next year   and I would hate to lose him for nothing back in return  ,  If the Canes  can  sign him back next season then  I will be happy .   I really do like Hamilton  .  not often does a 6'6   200 something pound rhd  comes in and can net you 20 goals and  put up good assist  .  Under Brind'Amour's system I can only imagine the kind of checks this man will deliver  to players is going to help send a message to the other team to stay away from our goalie !   And from what I have found out Brind'Amour's system is going to be aggressive on offense  so im stoked how many goals Hamilton will score with that in mind on the pp or 5 v 5 .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched enough of Dougie Hamilton to confidently say he big, but he is not a physical player.  Anyone who has followed this team realizes big doesn't always translate to physical.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coastal_caniac said:

I've watched enough of Dougie Hamilton to confidently say he big, but he is not a physical player.  Anyone who has followed this team realizes big doesn't always translate to physical.

Traditionally  you are right  but ,  we have a  Brind'Amour !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

53 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

 the only reason I see why Lindholm was part of the trade was because to help sweeten the trade  , 

 

Lindholm was actually the genesis of the trade.  BP called and asked DW "How can I get Lindy from you?"  That's how the talks started.

 

DW relayed this on XM this morning.

 

Where do you come up with your statements?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Where do you come up with your statements? 

They get pulled out of a donkey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OBXer said:

 

I for one enjoyed reading your comments from a Flame perspective but please don't buy into the thought we are a bunch of no hockey knowledge bumpkins. Most of the members on this board are hockey people. They have had twenty years experience with an NHL club and before that this area had a viable minor league club. We also had TV just like you and could follow the Atlanta Flames or Caps on a regular basis. Many of us like me grew up in other hockey areas. I was raised on the Rangers, Flyers and Islanders. I'm talking ancient history but hockey history all the same.

As long as you are respectful to us we will be respectful to you. Understand this is a Carolina fan board and we can be passionate.

No worries, personally I feel that most people on any NHL hockey message board know their hockey. This isn't FaceBook after all.

I will take a stab at this trade.

Hamilton is the best player involved. From a Carolina perspective he brings an offensive game and a certain toughness we may have lacked on the right side. His presence also has opened up options for future trades by us. We have gone 9 years without a playoff and are entering a 5th year rebuild. I think most hockey people will agree at some point you have to make moves to complete a rebuild.

Agreed, Hamilton is the best player in this trade today. Just be sure to pair him with a defensively capable partner, Chara and Giordano helped him a lot.

Hanifin is probable  the player with the most potential. Many here believed he shouldn't be traded because of that potential. His departure weakens our left D and we will probable need to acquire another D man. For you you get a great young promising Dman that can play now. He isn't or shouldn't be a top pair but if promise turn to reality in a couple of years he could be,

From what I'm hearing, Hanifin will be playing on the 2nd pairing with Travis Hamonic. His amount of PP time will depend on whether or not Peters goes with one or two D on the PP. I can envision NH starting with 2nd PP minutes.

 Ferland seems to be a player that will make us bigger and tougher while not losing too much if any point production. I have no idea where he slots.

Ferland can slot in near anywhere on either wing, but has been inconsistent his entire career. His last concussion took a lot of the aggression out of his game. That said, he skates well, and has a great shot when he uses it.

Lindy is another player that has potential to become better. At the moment he is a solid depth player. A player who has become hard to play against and could break out at any moment. He is just as likely to be a player that what you see now is what you get. I would be asking myself that although he showed signs of breaking out last season he hasn't yet under Bill Peters coaching. Can he ...maybe.

Of course, I'm hoping that he breaks out with Calgary. IMO, his best fit in Calgary is at 1st or 2nd RW, though I wouldn't be surprised if he lands at 2nd or 3rd C. I fully expect that he'll get some PP and PK minutes.

Fox  was the sweetner in the deal. He at least gave us a chance to add him to a promising group of future players. Lets face it he wasn't going to sign in Calgary so you gave up nothing although we gained a chance at him but not a guarantee.

If Fox signs with Carolina and improves his skating, he could be a good one for sure.

They say the best trades are trades where everyone gets their needs met. no winners or loser. This may be one of those trades.

Agreed.

Of course this analysis is coming from what one of our members has already told you is a less than savvy hockey fandom. So you can make up your own mind.

Again, I don't think that Carolina fans are not hockey savvy. In Calgary, that description is reserved for Toronto, Edmonton, and Vancouver fans, LOL

( oh and one of my hometown fellows Emanuel Davis is playing for your Stamps so I guess I am a Calgary fan at least for the CFL season)

CFL fans in Calgary are happy to have him join the Stampeders.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess this slots here? On way in to work, heard that Dougie Hamilton was going to be on DG show around 1pm. anyone here catch that, and if so, can you comment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Agreed, Hamilton is the best player in this trade today. Just be sure to pair him with a defensively capable partner, Chara and Giordano helped him a lot.

 

I think we need to go shopping again unless he skates with Slavin on first pair.

 

I enjoyed your comments. thx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Thank you hag. I like the guy from that interview, seems to be brought up with "good values" so possible he was marginalized and misunderstood on those 2 other teams?

 

Next question, what's up with our RFA's, as I thought today was last day for them to be qualified, or is that erroneous info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Next question, what's up with our RFA's, as I thought today was last day for them to be qualified, or is that erroneous info?

 

gocanes posted it over in the UFA-Trades - RFA topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OBXer said:

 

I think we need to go shopping again unless he skates with Slavin on first pair.

 

I enjoyed your comments. thx

 

Playing Hamilton with Jaccob Slavin was my first thought.

I think that they would make a very good pairing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

 

Playing Hamilton with Jaccob Slavin was my first thought.

I think that they would make a very good pairing.

 

Except Slavin and Pecse seem to be that pair made in hockey heaven. I hope we go out and get a veteran D to pair with him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

Except Slavin and Pecse seem to be that pair made in hockey heaven. I hope we go out and get a veteran D to pair with him

While true, they were tried with different partners last year OBXer. Saying that, they never looked as good as with each other. Wonder if trying to find a partner for Pesce would work and allow Slavin and Hamilton to flourish?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wonder if trying to find a partner for Pesce would work and allow Slavin and Hamilton to flourish?

 

 

Possibly, but my gut instinct to say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Slavin/Pesce don't bring much offense but they're probably the best shutdown pairing this team's ever had, and they are defensemen after all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

In Hindsight  I'd say knowing now that Fox will come and play for the Canes  in the future makes this an even trade    ,  Canes give up Hanifin and Lindholm  and get back Hamilton  and  a Future D-man in Fox  that has loads of up coming  potential  that helps our future stay  intact .   Ferland  might of had a Career year  and that is nice to have coming to the canes   the only reason I see why Lindholm was part of the trade was because to help sweeten the trade  , Ferland will be a UFA  next year   and I would hate to lose him for nothing back in return  ,  If the Canes  can  sign him back next season then  I will be happy .   I really do like Hamilton  .  not often does a 6'6   200 something pound rhd  comes in and can net you 20 goals and  put up good assist  .  Under Brind'Amour's system I can only imagine the kind of checks this man will deliver  to players is going to help send a message to the other team to stay away from our goalie !   And from what I have found out Brind'Amour's system is going to be aggressive on offense  so im stoked how many goals Hamilton will score with that in mind on the pp or 5 v 5 .  

Lindholm"s ask in salary was to high and 700k more than the committee wanted to pay. TDis not going to overpay for value. Lindholm was a little more than a sweetener on the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Lindholm"s ask in salary was to high and 700k more than the committee wanted to pay. TDis not going to overpay for value. Lindholm was a little more than a sweetener on the deal.

Lindholm  who is very talented  player  who is arguably a decent  sought out depth forward  that can play center or the wing   has  a scorers touch .    He might do well in Calgary  but that all depends on his new team mates take a liking to him .   What Lindholm  was  doing in carolina was not worth what he was wanting and with that  he did not want to accept  what we were offering him .   It  is a shame   in the end . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...