The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Lindholm and Hanifin

I wouldn’t describe Lindholm as having a scorer’s touch, but he brought a lot of other attributes. Can’t say I think he had earned a multi-year $5 million/year contract. I wish him the best. This team needed change, and this may not be the last one.

Edited by bluedevilcane

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

While true, they were tried with different partners last year OBXer. Saying that, they never looked as good as with each other. Wonder if trying to find a partner for Pesce would work and allow Slavin and Hamilton to flourish?

Oh yeah, that's very possible and they did break them up from time to time last year. I'm just thinking that if Fluery doesn't figure it out that second pair could be an adventure and Slavin/Pecse are proven shut down pair

Now it just dawned on me as to why we drafted Jack Drury .  He will be playing with Fox in Harvard this year .  Build on team friendship and Chemistry there and  then Fox  will not  want  go to another team other than the Canes .    HAHA  this has Rick Dudley written all over it  !!!!

Edited by Canesfanforever

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Traditionally  you are right  but ,  we have a  Brind'Amour !  

True, and Brind'Amour can condition to the utmost, and instill a measure of work ethic, but doubtful he can get him to be more physical? You either or are not "physical" and cannot be taught. 

21 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Calgary traded for Hamilton when he was very close to Hanifin's age and experience.

They both had 83 NHL points when they were traded to Calgary.

I don't doubt that the Flames know how to develop a young defence-man.

I'm confident that they will treat him well.

Treating him well isn't the issue. The issues are (1) he wants to play for the B's, and (2) he seems to think doing so is his birthright. In my opinion.

Not sure if you know this from your research, but Noah fired his agent last summer, when the Canes declined to extend him with a year left on his ELC. His agent worked for BOBBY ORR's org. Asked why he left, a company rep said "disillusionment."

Everybody knows Noah can be good and possibly great. The problem as I see it is that he thinks he already is. I hope for his sake this move wakes him up.  

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

they were tried with different partners last year OBXer.

They had their sophomore slump in their junior year. And like you said, were still very good most of the time. And then Pesce's shoulder happened. They'll be fine next year.

Edited by top-shelf-1

15 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not sure if you know this from your research, but Noah fired his agent last summer, when the Canes declined to extend him with a year left on his ELC. His agent worked for BOBBY ORR's org. Asked why he left, a company rep said "disillusionment."

Many of us, myself included, tried to wish away this little problem.  Maybe even hope it was Orr's problem.

Nope.  We saw a disillusioned player play.  Depressing.

• Like 1

Boomer and Hahn discussed the trade last night.

Their take:  Calgary needed Hamilton and it will be a loss.  What is going on with this guy?   Too many trades for such a young talented player.  Something is going on.  The word is he isn't a bad person, just walks to a different beat and does not like participating with the team outside of work at all.  Maybe he'll fit in with an owner who also walks to a different beat.  Polo shirt at draft?  Are you kidding me?  Great to see that.

My comment: I have no idea if that is true at all.  Just saying what the XM guys have heard.  (Except for the polo shirt, which was there for all of us to see.)

4 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Boomer and Hahn discussed the trade last night.

Their take:  Calgary needed Hamilton and it will be a loss.  What is going on with this guy?   Too many trades for such a young talented player.  Something is going on.  The word is he isn't a bad person, just walks to a different beat and does not like participating with the team outside of work at all.  Maybe he'll fit in with an owner who also walks to a different beat.  Polo shirt at draft?  Are you kidding me?  Great to see that.

My comment: I have no idea if that is true at all.  Just saying what the XM guys have heard.  (Except for the polo shirt, which was there for all of us to see.)

I heard that too wxray.

This mystery about what his issues with teammates is...     may just be smoke.   

https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/Hy8xSCHK0

Listen to his interview and get your own take.  I don't hear anything in his interview but kinda a kid that was raised in a non-hockey culture that maybe doesn't march to the same beat as traditional hockey kids, which can be a problem on some teams.  I wouldn't see that as an issue on the Canes, who typically all seem like family guys anyway.  Totally my take. 

He strikes me as an introvert.  Some people abide by keeping work life and outside of work life separate.   If this truly is the reason (which I think is the case) then I have no concerns about that.  He's just being bashed by Calgary because he is no longer with Calgary. 

• Like 1

I think he will do well here, where the media spotlight is not as bright.  It is much brighter at his first two stops.  He did seem like a quiet guy in the two interviews I've heard so far.

Solid article in Canes Country about Hamilton and Ferland from a Calgary group:

my take from the article:

man Hamilton put up 17 goals without being on the top PP unit early in the season!  What could he do with a properly managed PP?  Hopefully about 5 goals better!

Ferland scored all but 2 of his goals in the first 45 games.  That is good and concerning at the same time. Good that he could put up a bunch of goals. Concerning that he can go on a long goal drought.

do we sign Freddie?  I had realized that he was a Flame because of Dougie. I didn’t know Dougie had him brought on in Boston too.  Hopefully we had that discussion of no we aren’t doing that before he was traded for.

Pierre McGuire said on XM this morning that with Fox in the trade we got the better of it.  He doesn't have top speed or size but has an off the charts hockey IQ/sense.

24 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Pierre McGuire said on XM this morning that with Fox in the trade we got the better of it.  He doesn't have top speed or size but has an off the charts hockey IQ/sense.

He went to Harvard, so he has to be at least Tripp Tracy smart

• Like 2

7 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

He went to Harvard, so he has to be at least Tripp Tracy smart

You do know at least 50% of Harvard students are C students.

8 minutes ago, winger52 said:

You do know at least 50% of Harvard students are C students.

I would bet a C student from Harvard has the potential to go further than grads with higher grades from a lot of other schools.

My wife is happy that Noah Hanafan got traded because she longer is asked about her thoughts on how good Noah Hanafan is from me.

True story. 

Edited by bluedevil58

On 6/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, caniac6 said:

I would bet a C student from Harvard has the potential to go further than grads with higher grades from a lot of other schools.

I wouldn't bet on that. Harvard has been living on that mystique for decades now.

slap, thanks for posting that piece of the article about Dougie. Been searching internet trying to locate it  but could not. Perhaps this genteel side of a 6ft 6in guy is not appreciated in macho circles where he plays, but maybe our locker room will be more compassionate and treasure that part of him. I for one intend to purchase a new 3rd jersey, and contrary to the current fad, #37 is going on mine.

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

slap, thanks for posting that piece of the article about Dougie. Been searching internet trying to locate it  but could not. Perhaps this genteel side of a 6ft 6in guy is not appreciated in macho circles where he plays, but maybe our locker room will be more compassionate and treasure that part of him. I for one intend to purchase a new 3rd jersey, and contrary to the current fad, #37 is going on mine.

Wouldn't a Svechnikov jersey be the current fad?