The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Lindholm and Hanifin

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Darcy Kuemper  from the kings could have been an option  . But now we will never know . 

Yea he was great for Arizona.

Darcy Kuemper  from the kings could have been an option  . But now we will never know . 

The guy wasn't exactly lighting it up as Minnesota's starter when they handed him the reins...thus they went out and snagged Dubnyk

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

Hamilton and Ferland scored a combined 49 goals last year, almost twice as many as the 26 by Lindholm and Hanifin.

Hamilton and Ferland are more physical than Lindholm and Hanifin.

Hamilton and Ferland don't have the contract issues that Lindholm and Hanifin have.

Great prospect in Fox.

With Hamilton, we can trade Faulk.

What's not to like about this?

And after Lindy and Hanifin sign new deals, the Canes are probably gonna save money this season too.

• Like 1

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

And he was   okay in LA ,   Arizona is known for leaving goalies out to the pasture , so whats your point ?

You wanting to trade Hanifin for him.

13 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

'm interested in our next trade...... I'm going to guess Faulk for Simmonds.

If this trade happens i'll buy 2 season tickets. Last i heard philly was trying to sign Simmonds to an extension.

10 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Except that Kuemper is now with the Yotes. And with just over 100 NHL games played, is another Darling.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I bet Carolina goes after Robin Lehner.  Makes sense.  I think Hanifin's going to get lit up next year.  He's going to have to go up against Vegas 3 times a year, SJS 3 times a year, McDavid 3 times a year, LAK 3 times a year.  Unless two of ANA/LAK/VGK/SJS have an unexpected fall off, I don't see how this trade puts them over the hump.  They're going to need career years from both Hanifin and Lindholm.

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

10 wins and only 1 loss   last season is nothing to  laugh at.   

2-6-2 could be? Just saying, not Hanifin material while you're asked to propose a trade for a goalie that could be had for Hanifin.

Canes make a decent deal that you're *edit* about and meanwhile you think the better deal is Darling 2.0

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

And he was   okay in LA ,   Arizona is known for leaving goalies out to the pasture , so whats your point ?

Dude, he wasn't great for AZ. It's called sarcasm.

3 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I bet Carolina goes after Robin Lehner.  Makes sense.  I think Hanifin's going to get lit up next year.  He's going to have to go up against Vegas 3 times a year, SJS 3 times a year, McDavid 3 times a year, LAK 3 times a year.  Unless two of ANA/LAK/VGK/SJS have an unexpected fall off, I don't see how this trade puts them over the hump.  They're going to need career years from both Hanifin and Lindholm.

Lindy will be fine. He was bringing a physical game. Hanifin has yet to, and out West, that's a real problem.

• Like 1

I always get a chuckle out of people trying to figure out who "won" a trade.  

Its not relevant.

All that matters is you got what YOUR team needed.

Look at this example: NBA team has the top 10 point guards in the league.  They finish last every year.  That team trades for the 11th best center in the game.  That's a GREAT trade as they cant win in the NBA without A center.  

This trade helped our team NOW.  It would appear it will help our team in the near future as well.  THAT will be the measure of this trade. The only comparison would be would the traded players have helped THIS TEAM more now or in the future.  Looking at it that way given the type of players we received I would say I doubt it.  

My two cents.

• Like 3

Timing. I post this right after one-timer's who wins doesn't matter post, but I do still find it interesting because it provides some sense of what the fans that know their players think of their loss:

Looking at the SB site for the Flames, and they think we "won" this trade: 56%-26% (17% called it even).

So at least from the perspective of Flames fans, they value what they lost more than what they gained.

• Like 1

I never am too hard on a trade where we end up with the best player.  And that is what this trade is.  Hamilton is the best player in this trade.  Hanifan could end up being the best player, but right now he isn't.  Ferland is EXACTLY what we need and makes us harder to play against.  And we got a grade A prospect that IF we can sign him.

We gave up a lot sure.  But we got a top 4 RHD, a gritty middle 6 winger, and a top D prospect (that we must sign granted).  Not to mentioned we will probably end up saving ourselves about 1.5M in salary for 18-19 season that we can apply elsewhere, as Hanifan and Lindholm together will cost Calgary 9M AAV to resign (if not more).

Not 100% happy with the trade, BUT we got value out of it so I am OK.

• Like 1

My oh my, A lot to take in here. I just found out about a trade and read through this topic to catch up. My initial reaction is it was good trade prompted more by the inability to sign our players. Even so I think we achieved the goal of positionally becoming stronger.

The moves also give us the option of further moves. Faulk looks like a logical next move but Pesce is a possibility as is McKeown. Of course it TVR balks at what is offered he goes and McKeown is in. I wonder if we think Fluery slides up permanent on second pair and Bean is ready to pair with TVR. A lot of moving parts.

Right wings look set in the top 9 but the left side is still a question mark especially if you trade Skinner. Brock is probable penciled in on the Staal line But who skate with Aho and if Skinner goes who skates for him. If there was ever a time to keep Skinner and go overpay for JVR in free agency its now. We still need a center.

Thats my long way of saying this was a good first move but we need a good followup

FWIW, Craig Button thinks we got the better of the deal.  Said that Hanifan is simply not as good as Hamilton.  He liked the Lindholm acquisition, but did not like the inclusion of Fox as he is one of their best prospects.  And he framed it as their GM always searching for something new and it bit him this time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

No, he's had three. We burned him to a crispy crunch in his first two seasons here, and shuffled him all over the ice throughout the past three. At only 23, he has seen more hockey from more perspectives on NHL ice than some guys do in their whole careers. Now he is back with the coach who helped him grow into a key player. Although I'd have preferred to do so in Raleigh, it'll be fun to watch him put it all together.

And who burned him to a crispy crunch?  The same guy he's about to go play for in Calgary...uh oh!

If some of these numbers are to be believed, no way am I comfortable with Carolina dishing out 9-10 million in salary for Noah/Elias long term.  I honestly don't see how someone can view this as a bad trade for us.

46 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I hear ya. Lindy is going to be very good. 

Going to miss LIndy.

• Like 1