The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Lindholm and Hanifin

I was listening to the Calgary radio station.

The plan is to play Lindholm on the top line.  That is where Ferland played (why his numbers are high).  I don’t think Lindholm fills the same role.

if we don’t get a top liner, Ferland could fill the same role on the Aho-Turbo line. The physical presence, by the net, getting dirty, and protecting them.

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Lindy had better offensive output than Fer too.  Fer only had 1 40 point season.  Lindy had multiple. Upgrade on D downgrade in forwards.

We’re looking for goals.  Hamilton and Ferland had more last season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Lindy had better offensive output than Fer too.  Fer only had 1 40 point season.  Lindy had multiple. Upgrade on D downgrade in forwards.

Possibly so but i'm happy to see a 'hockey trade', something Francis didn't accomplish in 4 years.  And i'm seeing hints that our guys may not have wanted to stay here and a couple of their guys may not have wanted to stay there.  I think the Canes will get more out of Hamilton & Ferland than they would have out of Hanifin & Lindholm, and Calgary could likely have the same fate with their new players.

I do hope someone else on the Canes will warm up to stationing themselves in front of the net, though.  We're going to miss that aspect of Lindholm's game.

Edited by realmdrakkar

47 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

How come this image comes to mind when I read most of your posts?

IMG_0357.JPG.2cea85a901ecf81b29f8d80d4b0d6c48.JPG

You don't have to insult everyone to make your point.  You don't have to convince us of how smart you are.

This trade makes the Canes better now, and will save salary this year with what Hanifin and Lindholm will likely sign for.  The Canes get an elite d-man signed for reasonable money for 3 more years and a gritty forward who will be hard to play against.  Fox could turn out to be a real steal in this whole deal.  Yeah, I youtube too

I would say it's a safe bet that Ferland  had inflated numbers  for playing on the first line   and was a streaky player at most  which btw will be  a ufa  so  dont get your hopes up if he chooses to not resign with the canes   .  Hamilton is being rumored as not a locker room guy and  you kinda need those people in order to win  games that matter  and  that he takes bad penalties  .  Fox is no guarantee  that he will even  put on a canes jersey let alone sign with the team .  You will all see   what im talking about .

Edited by Canesfanforever

3 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Assuming the Canes can get Fox to sign is he considered NHL ready or would he require seasoning in the AHL?

If  Fox were to sign with the canes  right now ,  he would not only be nhl ready Today  but be good enough in the next year or 2  to be a top 2 d-man .  But it is not for sure he ever will .  I hope he does  play for us . 

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

So Fer is McGinn but with a better shot.

no.   he tends to  disappear  and then  show up when there is a game going that he feels like doing something .  kinda like skinner in a way .  

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Words are useless if there is no Actions to prove it , and last time i checked Actions speak louder than words . 

Yet they took action and you are bemoaning it? You make no sense Off?

Agree with Realm above. A good trade for both teams in all likelihood. Nice to see a trade too - not for the sake of a trade - but because trades done right make for a better team. Now go find a competent goalie Don. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

My only concern is with the Fer vs Lindy trade off.

Ferland had inflated numbers  by playing with  that first line he was on.   If  lindy  performs better on that same line  there then you will know for sure . 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Reports are saying he wants to play in Harvard for 4 more years .    after that he would become a ufa  and then could sign with any team .   If you got a player that Refused to play for the team that drafts them then why would he be a loyal player to any other team  ? I hope that is not the case with Fox 

Ask Jack Johnson. Stayed in college for 2 years after the Canes drafted him 3rd overall, but signed w/LA almost the minute he was traded.

1 minute ago, raleighcaniac said:

Agree with Realm above. A good trade for both teams in all likelihood. Nice to see a trade too - not for the sake of a trade - but because trades done right make for a better team. Now go find a competent goalie Don. 

The trade had Don Waddells hands all over it .  I am surprised we were given a chance for Fox .  if it turns out to be nothing than at least the Flames  got the better end of the deal  for them .  BUT  if Fox does end up playing with us and he is touted as a great player than  it would be considered an even trade  for both teams . 

3 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Ask Jack Johnson. Stayed in college for 2 years after the Canes drafted him 3rd overall, but signed w/LA almost the minute he was traded.

And the canes  traded him for Gleason .  

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

And the canes  traded him for Gleason .  

Actually, Gleason and a 3rd line center whose name escapes me, but was supposed to replace Cullen. Gleason was coming off a serious knee injury, and was not considered on par with Johnson. I don’t think Johnson ever lived up to his draft position, but my point was that some players with the option to do so elect not to sign with a particular team. Fox may be more amenable to signing with an American team playing in a climate a little more temperate than Calgary. Or maybe not, but for 2 years we have his rights. We don’t have to sort out his value in this deal in the 1st 4 hours after the trade was announced.

7 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Actually, Gleason and a 3rd line center whose name escapes me, but was supposed to replace Cullen. Gleason was coming off a serious knee injury, and was not considered on par with Johnson. I don’t think Johnson ever lived up to his draft position, but my point was that some players with the option to do so elect not to sign with a particular team. Fox may be more amenable to signing with an American team playing in a climate a little more temperate than Calgary. Or maybe not, but for 2 years we have his rights. We don’t have to sort out his value in this deal in the 1st 4 hours after the trade was announced.

That's for sure .  And im not expecting him to sign right away . it would be nice  though lol .   Fox and Bean on the same line with each other would be Super Sick  !

I may be odd man out but once we make a trade I don't care if the player we traded becomes a superstar down the road. The only thing I care about is if we got better. For us this trade made us positionally better in the now. It has opened up other trade options for us.  As for Fox he was the embellishment to make the trade work for us. Recognizing we were giving up a player with future potential. If this Harvard bound kid signs with us now, later or never I contend the risk/reward was worth the chance.

It was Hamilton we wanted and it was Hamilton we got. Lindy forced his trade and we got Ferland, call it a draw if you wish. We did OK, IMO.

• Like 6

TheHockeyNews scouting report on Ferland:

Assets:  Has good size and plenty of agitating qualities that can take opponents off their game. Can produce some points and is adept at grinding in the corners. Will also drop the gloves.

Flaws:  Injuries are already an issue here, so he must become more durable in order to maximize NHL production. Also needs to avoid taking bad penalties that can hinder his team.

Career Potential: Agitating winger with a little upside.

But apparently Ferland has had concussion issues; some Flames fans talk about him like some people talked about Skinner a couple of years back (one hit way . . .),

Edited by LakeLivin

I for one am a fan of this trade.  I’m ecstatic to see the Canes making a move to fill needs.  Many are not happy with Hanafin being included but I unfortunately think he had some E Staal syndrome.....hop on ice, glide, glide, glide, oh crap someone wants to hit me, pout on bench, repeat.....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

OK for you long suffering STHs do today’s developments make you more likely to reup or do you want to wait a bit?

Not yet. Maybe next year.

A couple of thoughts on the players involved.

1. Great move to deal anyone who indicates they may not want to be here, or for anyone not as committed as TD would like.  Think about it.  Anyone who feels that way likely will sag during the least bit of adversity - even if they were once truly committed, but no longer.  So, good riddance AND good luck.

2. Maybe Fox will sign since he's from Long Island and there are 3 Metro teams up there for family to see him play often.  Raleigh is also easier to make it to for them.

Edited by Manwolf
  • Like 1