The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Lindholm and Hanifin

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

And who burned him to a crispy crunch?  The same guy he's about to go play for in Calgary...uh oh!

Actually it was JR, who insisted he was NHL ready when he wasn't close. The coach was Kirk Muller. BP used him appropriately; my only complaint was that he was moved around a bunch. I doubt that will happen in Calgary, given the level of talent on that team. Not to mention the demands of the fans.

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

That has to be one of the most IGNORANT  statements  i have read so far.   Some players take some time to develop to become better .  with lindy i can understand why you would say that but with Hanifin ??????   Let me guess ,  You  don't put  much research into  Training and Development  do you when it comes to talent ? 

Come on man, if a player is meant to be a superstar happens in the first couple years. Hanafin is mediocre and probably always will be. Sick of waiting around to see him become something more than a smooth Skater who  turns  the pick  over and can’t take a hit.   Sure he might be solid in a few more years. But good riddems

I like the trade as-is.  As always we can analyze for hours, but only time will tell.  Let's be happy we are not sitting on our hands saying "we like the people in the room" when we know that the people in the room are not getting it done.

Hope to see Faulk moving next, praying for a Skinner/O'Reilly trade to really strengthen our top 6.

I was perusing  Hockeyfights.com and check out Ferland’s 2016-2017 fight season.  Didn’t lose one!  I’m hoping he is our second coming of Scott Walker.  If he can continue to score here and play with the same grit this is a great addition.

25 minutes ago, JMURaptor said:

I was perusing  Hockeyfights.com and check out Ferland’s 2016-2017 fight season.  Didn’t lose one!  I’m hoping he is our second coming of Scott Walker.  If he can continue to score here and play with the same grit this is a great addition.

Like I said, I remember Ferland being a wrecking ball. However he has sustained injuries/concussion(s) that some on the Calgary board are saying have affected his play (in a self-preservation way, not that you could blame him).

I wish I had more info on this, and how much of a factor this is. 

He’s the type of guy we need, I just hope his body allows him to be that guy.

• Like 1

This is just me trying to be optimistic, and I’m using it as a bit of a coping mechanism but...

Ferland had the best +/- (+5) of any forward on Calgary.

Hamilton had the best +/- (+1) of any defenseman on a Flames team that wasn’t very good.  

I know a lot of people don’t care about +/-, but I thought it was at least interesting and it is therapeutic for me.

Btw, I watch international play whenever I can and I remember Fox standing out because of his mobility and offensive instincts. I hope he signs here.

Oh, and Hamilton is said to be sort of a quiet and reclusive guy, so maybe Carolina will be more comfortable for him as opposed to a Canadian market or a big market like Boston. I don’t expect him to be a leader but as long as he does his thing on the ice and doesn’t rock the boat, I’m fine with that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Like I said, I remember Ferland being a wrecking ball. However he has sustained injuries/concussion(s) that some on the Calgary board are saying have affected his play (in a self-preservation way, not that you could blame him).

I wish I had more info on this, and how much of a factor this is. 

He’s the type of guy we need, I just hope his body allows him to be that guy.

You saved me some typing . . .

1 hour ago, JMURaptor said:

ANY reference to Scott Walker I am 100% behind. 

Let's just start sticking up for each other!

• Like 2

Flames board is projecting Lindy on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau.  If so, I bet we see a significant increase in his scoring.  Of course, I thought he'd break out last season here, so . . .

They also think that Hanifin will be a big improvement defensively over Hamilton.  :o

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Flames board is projecting Lindy on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau.  If so, I bet we see a significant increase in his scoring.  Of course, I thought he'd break out last season here, so . . .

They also think that Hanifin will be a big improvement defensively over Hamilton.  :o

They are not wrong in thinking that .   Hanifin   was showing signs in progressing  each year and he was getting more points ,  22  his first year ,  29 his 2nd  and 32  in his last year with us  and he plays a lot of min's  and at a young age like Noah who is 21   he is only going to get better as a player .  Hamilton who is good now  but  he is only in his prime  for maybe  2 or 4 years  .   Hanifin has not even reached his prime yet and maybe next year or the year after that he might  start to blow up the league .    The only way I see the canes not getting shafted in this deal is if Adam Fox can sign with the canes  next  year maybe , or this year would be fine :) .  But i have my doubts that will happen.  

12 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

They are not wrong in thinking that .   Hanifin   was showing signs in progressing  each year and he was getting more points ,  22  his first year ,  29 his 2nd  and 32  in his last year with us  and he plays a lot of min's  and at a young age like Noah who is 21   he is only going to get better as a player .  Hamilton who is good now  but  he is only in his prime  for maybe  2 or 4 years  .   Hanifin has not even reached his prime yet and maybe next year or the year after that he might  start to blow up the league .    The only way I see the canes not getting shafted in this deal is if Adam Fox can sign with the canes  next  year maybe , or this year would be fine :) .  But i have my doubts that will happen.  

Well, if you're referencing the Flames fans, overall they see Hamilton as clearly > Hanifin and Lindy as clearly >  Ferland, which balances out.   They feel they overpaid by including Fox, a really nice RD prospect, but apparently he wasn't going to sign with them, so they didn't really lose much by including him.  Sure, Hanifin might start to blow up the league.  But his doppelganger Werenski started blowing up the league 2 years ago, as did his classmate Provorov.  Yes, players develop at different rates, but I'm more comfortable with losing Hanifin than I am with losing Lindholm.  Just a feeling I've got about the two . . .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Well, if you're referencing the Flames fans, overall they see Hamilton as clearly > Hanifin and Lindy as clearly >  Ferland, which balances out.   They feel they overpaid by including Fox, a really nice RD prospect, but apparently he wasn't going to sign with them, so they didn't really lose much by including him.  Sure, Hanifin might start to blow up the league.  But his doppelganger Werenski started blowing up the league 2 years ago, as did his classmate Provorov.  Yes, players develop at different rates, but I'm more comfortable with losing Hanifin than I am with losing Lindholm.  Just a feeling I've got about the two . . .

Now you are the one saving me the typing.

This may have been a trade of agents. Trade two guys that are going to have contract demands, that the Canes think will be unreasonable based on past history, before they walk for nothing. Lindy wasn't going to get 5 mil, so trade him now, or at the deadline. Hanifin seemed to have a much higher opinion of himself than the team had, also. I have to believe that if their demands were more reasonable, they would still be here.

A couple of thoughts here.

- This trade show that Dundon will back up his talk with action.  Lindholm and Hanifan were asking for more than what the consensus group though they were worth in money and term.  They came to an impasse and less than 48 hours later, they were both traded.  We solved this problem with a good old-fashioned hockey trade.  To get something, you have to give up something (unless it is Taylor Hall to NJ).  Despite the random comments on the Calgary board, we got the best player in the deal today.  And its not like he's ancient either. he just turned 25. 

- We are going to save at least 1.5m in 18-19 on contracts.  Lindholm and Hanifan will command 9M+ between them.  Hamilton and Ferland are at about 7.5M.  This gives us the ability to be even more aggressive in perhaps getting value by taking a bad contract.  In addition it pretty much seals Faulk's ticket out of town as we have three top-4 RHD.  I think you will see another big move out of us in the next week.

- And we got more physical.  That is something we all here have been clamoring for. Go Canes!

IMO contract demands aside Hanifin didn’t want to be here. I’m glad we didn’t trade him to bean town. Lindholm wanted more than he was worth but wish we could have compromised on a bridge deal or something. I like that we added grit and hopefully Hamilton will be ok in the room. After being shipped out twice in his young career...

1 minute ago, Canes06cup17 said:

IMO contract demands aside Hanifin didn’t want to be here. I’m glad we didn’t trade him to bean town. Lindholm wanted more than he was worth but wish we could have compromised on a bridge deal or something. I like that we added grit and hopefully Hamilton will be ok in the room. After being shipped out twice in his young career...

My hope is at reaching a more mature age, i.e. the age insurance companies consider mature, 25, he'll be better.  He will likely still throw around a little grit in the inner workings of the locker room gears.  Unavoidable for a gritty player.  We all know the situation at our own work.  We have co-workers who we don't like, but we respect their work, and are glad to work with them.  Then we just have jerks we work with. 

Watching and reading reaction to this trade makes me think it was a close to even trade without Fox in there according to both sides and the middle.

I normally like to break guys down by the numbers and then project where they might be in a year or two, and in that case one could argue Calgary got the better of the primary four NHL guys simply because Hanifin could become better than Hamilton and is younger and LIndholm has more upside than Ferland. BUT.....

I think this trade cannot be measured purely in stats.

Q: How many times has someone from the GM to the coach to writers to people on this board to anyone in particular said that this team needs more grit and needs to be harder to play against? How many? A: Too many to count for too long to count.

Q: How many times has there been implication and innuendo that there are guys in our room OK with losing, and guys who don't necessarily commit 100% to being here? That there are guys who have spent their entire careers with no playoffs, and maybe learned to live with it? A: A lot. 

Q. How long have we wished for a gritty winger who could score, and skate? A. As long as Eric Cole has been gone. 

This trade is a strong attempt to fix these long standing issues. Even if we do or don't win point for point, and on age etc, this has the potential, especially combined with future moves *cough* Faulk and maybe Skinner *cough*, to up the sandpaper, and grit and hard to play against quotient. 

More than building a group of statistics, at least this move seems to be building a team with guys filling roles that teams need and we've lacked. Yes, I'd love JT to suddenly throw us on his short list and stun the hockey world, because 1C and goalie are the remaining issues, but this move does fill important gaps, and clears the deck for the trade that needs to happen most to finish cleaning house. It is my hope that Faulk brings back a higher end guy that in total makes this move look even better, but I think this was a needed move.

Some of you guys are overrating Ferlund.  Manage your expectations with him.  He will not be a difference maker.  He is a 25 to 35 point 3rd line forward.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Some of you guys are overrating Ferlund.  Manage your expectations with him.  He will not be a difference maker.  He is a 25 to 35 point 3rd line forward.

His numbers are better when he played as the top line hitman to protect Monahan.  I believe he’ll serve the same role with us for Aho and Turbo.  His numbers could be just as inflated because he is on our top line.