The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Who gets the crease

Might as well give the goalies situation its own topic.

Scott Darling.or Petr Mrazek or a youth or another signing/trade

QUESTION.png

Unless someone overwhelms mgmt at training camp, Darling is the #1.

Darling needs to be sharp at the drop of the puck opening night. That being said, I do think the leash is short for Darling. We have 12 games in October. Can't win the Cup in October, but we can sure lose it. Looking at the schedule, Darling should play 10 games, Mrazek, 2, as we have 2 back-to-backs.

Mrazek is a low risk, high reward. If we get Mrazek from 2015-16 (54gms     27wins     16loses    6otl    2.33gaa     .921sv%  4shutouts) we're in a good spot.

Edited by hopper915

Darling gets training camp and exhibition games. IMO if he doesn't show by the end of training camp he is in Charlotte, bought out or traded in some sort of salary deal.

In the final analysis, I don't have a clue.

I don't think Darling's earned anything and thus I can't see a guy like Brindy giving anything to him unearned. I think he'll make a decision based on they do in the preseason.

• Like 2

Of course I have no way of knowing. My guess is Mrazek won't be a failure but will he be a starter?  He will probable be fine as a backup. The hope is he can challenge for the starter role and earn it not by default but because he is good enough.

I haven't given up on Darling because he has a history of bouncing back from adversity. For me Darling is going to have to prove he can play again. He better like pressure because his job will be rated on performance.alone, I don't think he gets another pass.

I have more confidence in Mrazek than Darling, so I guess Mrazek.

At least I know Mrazek will be in shape, he can actually move side to side, and he doesn’t have a five-hole that opponents can throw their helmets through.

Then again I might just be Mrazek’s good luck charm because whenever I see him play he looks good, you know, like an actual goalie.

As a side note, there were some not so flattering comments about Lehner on the NHL Network. A lot of talent but I believe the word they used was that he is a “character” that may not take his craft seriously and he has shown up to camp out of shape (sound familiar?).

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

I have more confidence in Mrazek than Darling, so I guess Mrazek.

At least I know Mrazek will be in shape, he can actually move side to side, and he doesn’t have a five-hole that opponents can throw their helmets through.

Then again I might just be Mrazek’s good luck charm because whenever I see him play he looks good, you know, like an actual goalie.

As a side note, there were some not so flattering comments about Lehner on the NHL Network. A lot of talent but I believe the word they used was that he is a “character” that may not take his craft seriously and he has shown up to camp out of shape (sound familiar?).

A little bit of a head case. More than the average goalie.

Goaltending will be rocky until 20 games in leading to a trade for a starter and that person will take over the crease leading us to a top 5 pick in next year's draft.

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Thanks Slap.  That helps.  My net:  They did their homework (and "hope" work).  That includes Mike Bales (per DW) feeling they can fix some technique issues and hope he can revert to form as a starter like 2016-17 season.

Personally I wouldn't take that gamble, but understand the predicament.  RF would have done the same since he also couldn't pull off a trade to fill what is needed.  IMO nothing has changed around here.

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Agree, thanks for that link.

I guess I can live with the goalie thing (not that I have much choice). This is my best spin: two guys who have played well in the past, not happy with their last year, working hard in the off-season and coming in with a lot to prove. 

Did not sound like a guy inches from trading either Skinner or Faulk. But that could be posturing for position. I still have to think Faulk goes, but maybe not.

Pretty much expects Necas and Svech to be on the team. Good words for Fox and Bean also. Mentioned Geekie. 

I will say this. If we can figure out this goalie thing, there is a lot of depth and upside here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

The one that sucks the least .  Well Neddy  here's your chance to be a Hurricane !

Oh good God....

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Going foward I have to think Skinner goes before Faulk.

Cole is pushing him out the door here at the 14:30 mark.

The Ambassador.

Wow,thx for the audio. Cole's honest take. Sounds  like Jeff put the breaks on a few trades,got a wonder what they were.

18 hours ago, hopper915 said:

Mrazek is a low risk, high reward. If we get Mrazek from 2015-16 (54gms     27wins     16loses    6otl    2.33gaa     .921sv%  4shutouts) we're in a good spot.

I am kind of thinking that he is high risk and high reward.  He only had a stretch in one season where he was really good, and that was almost 3 years ago.  If he doesn't find that game again, and if SD doesn't find some magic beans, then we are at risk of having no NHL worthy goalie.

19 hours ago, hopper915 said:

. . .

1 hour ago, reelpirate5 said:

I am kind of thinking that he is high risk and high reward.  He only had a stretch in one season where he was really good, and that was almost 3 years ago.  If he doesn't find that game again, and if SD doesn't find some magic beans, then we are at risk of having no NHL worthy goalie.

Mrazek is low risk only from a cost perspective, imo.  If we knew Darling was a #1 I'd label the move as low risk.  Given that we don't, I'd say Mrazek is low cost, high risk, high reward.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Going foward I have to think Skinner goes before Faulk.

Cole is pushing him out the door here at the 14:30 mark.

The Ambassador.

Agree, thanks for the audio. We all try to make our best guesses about things, but it is so interesting to hear some stuff from the inside. Skinner was allowed to be a soft, one way guy for a long time. Sort of assumed it, but hearing it really locks it in. I will say in contrast that Skinner really seemed to get better for a couple of years before last year, but then last year happened and I guess can't be undone at this point. 

It was also interesting and a bit validating for one of my pet issues to hear Cole's amazement at Skinner getting the NTC. JR handed those out like candy and even now they are biting us in the butt as Skinner has nixed deals according to Cole. 

Now for my projection. My guess is that Skinner's swoon back into not "playing the right way" not only miffed Peters, but irked Rod too. And while Skinner might have been bummed he didn't get the 'C', he did still wear an "A". Clearly this suggests he's seen as part of the problem. So Rod is probably done with him and wants him gone.

He is also the most openly shopped guy, even more than Faulk. 

My concern is that this team really should replace at least some of Skinner's predictable scoring if they do move him. We have tons of potential with Necas, Svech, Foegele, Zykov and more, but possibly not enough proven scoring. 

OK  back to goalie talk!