cc

Poll: How have Waddell and Dundon done so far

Right track wrong track same track  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Waddell and Dundons efforts

• Better than previous
    • Worse
    • Same crap as before

I personally would be interested if anyone who votes things are not "better" as to why.  It appears by actions that we have gotten everything we were complaining about.

• Like 1

At the beginning of the offseason, they stated we need to be harder to play against.  We have accomplished that goal.  We have taken action to get more sandpaper in our line-up and we have succeeded.  Would I like to have a different goalie situation?  Sure.  But I think we did about as good as we could have done given what was available.

• Like 1

When you consider the sale job that would be necessary to get someone to come here or put us on their acceptable trade list, I think they have done great.  We'll see what the on-ice product is. 

I think they’ve done great given the state of affairs when they took over.  However, I’m going to temper that with the usual “wait and see how we start the season,” caveat.

At least TD is allowing his GM to make the moves needed.

Still not completely sold on DW after some of his other pre-GM decisions...I suspect a lot of them had more to do with PK...but I’m warming up a bit 

Great teams are not built overnight! However, the new sheriff in town has definitely improved the roster over the previous management, especially the D at this point. That said, RF needs to be given credit for doing a great job stocking and creating depth in the organization; considering the bare cupboard he inherited from JR. We have NEVER been in a position to have a "surplus" asset such as Faulk has become. In the past we would either sign low cost FA's or bring up unprepared players to round out the D corps, and hope for the best. Now we have a very stout 6 D at the NHL level without JF, and at least 4-5 defensemen, if we include Adam Fox; who will be NHL ready either now or in the future. Not many teams in the league can make that claim.

I’d grade our offseason a solid B so far.    Only gripe is that we haven’t yet added an impact forward, and I can foresee Skinner being a distraction if he returns.  But we’ve done a lot of good to the roster.

Still no improvement on scoring unless Svech puts up 70points. Thats a gamble to rely on.  Goaltending a definite gamble. Defense and toughness def improved. Feels about the same to me.  Last year we were excited about Darling and Williams. Turned out to be same ol team as usual.  We think we improve in one area because of a couple small to medium moves and it turns out to not be enough.  Heres to hoping it is enough this time.  And heres to hoping Faulk brings us an offensive return soon and Skinner puts up 30 plus along with Aho and Svech. 

1 hour ago, Danimal38 said:

Still no improvement on scoring unless Svech puts up 70points. Thats a gamble to rely on.  Goaltending a definite gamble. Defense and toughness def improved. Feels about the same to me.  Last year we were excited about Darling and Williams. Turned out to be same ol team as usual.  We think we improve in one area because of a couple small to medium moves and it turns out to not be enough.  Heres to hoping it is enough this time.  And heres to hoping Faulk brings us an offensive return soon and Skinner puts up 30 plus along with Aho and Svech. 

My opinion is that, if we dump Faulk, it'll be for another scoring forward...one who might also make Rask expendable really soon...

I like a lot of what's been done, and the overall plan is materializing in a good way. We are going to be a harder team to play against, and while that is a bit nebulous, I think it means a few things at once. Mostly skill his hard to match. Well the committee has built one of the best defenses in the NHL and done so without giving up and picks or prospects. That will make us harder to play. Further we are bigger and have more grit. But mainly, we are setting a new tone of expectations and moving out guys who did not buy into bringing it every night. If the remaining guys buy in, that will add up to a lot of good.

Svech was a no brainer, true they could have overthought it and botched it, but really a no brainer. Necas was Francis. Those two are the most exciting. 

But the moves in the trade and the signing of de Haan were strong moves.

To finish the job, IMHO, we must move Faulk and either move or rehabilitate Skinner. 

We still have a hole at 1C, but I think we can work around that. 

However, the biggest of all, and it all comes down to it, is what last year where two of league's worst goalies can do. If at least one of them can figure out how to stop a puck, I'm very optimistic. If not? Well think of last year but without Cam's wins. I am not thrilled about going with Mrazek and Mongo. I like that both guys are highly motivated and have played well in the past, but these two were both horrid last year. This is an area where at least for next year, getting everything else right won't matter if this gamble doesn't pay off. 

Signing de Haan really put me in the better than previous. The trade too, but the de Haan signing could end up being just brilliant, especially if we can move Faulk for a good asset. So incomplete, and scary in goal, but so far better than expected. 

Although the poll title says "Waddell and Dundon", gotta believe Brindy has had equal input into the decisions (with others contributing, as well).  Which does circle back to Dundon in a way, since he created that structure.   Not meant as a criticism of the title, just pointing out that the Committee approach, which got a lot of flak from some, seems to be working, at least imo.

Edited by LakeLivin

No question better than previous, because they are at least doing something. But they've actually done much better, IMO. There will be a three-way competition for the crease - don't count Ned out - and that should raise the stakes for, and the games of, both Mrazek and Darling. Meanwhile, the back end is unquestionably better, and the forward ranks too, even if nothing more is done--albeit the front end had more to do with Lady Luck smiling on us in the draft lottery than anything. 

It would have been nice to keep Lindy. He really showed signs of becoming a net-front guy with an edge, and with a couple years to go before hitting his prime. I think TD's reported offer was fair, and that Lindy's reported ask was a little high. But I'm still a bit concerned that TD might be willing to characterize guys who have toughed it out and want their payday as "not with us," in order to justify moving them out. 

Top talent costs money, whether we're talking pro sports, subprime lending, or TopGolf. I'll be very interested to see what TD does when guys who have undeniably earned their paydays begin demanding them. And that day is coming quick.

All of that being said, the culture change is undeniable, and it was long overdue. Most important, it has achieved what it needed to: Made clear that guys' jobs are only as safe as their play is good.

I really do like the de Haan  signing  but i would hardly call it a  " Statement Signing "  .  The only " Statement "   I see from this is that Faulk better be looking to find a new home because he is out of here  ! lol   

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to realize how good a job Francis actually did up until he hit a wall.  Think about where we were a couple years ago when our top prospects were players like Chris Terry and Ryan Murphy.  Or when it was a big deal for us to pick up a Nesty or Dahlbeck off of waivers.  Now other teams are happy to get our cast offs and our pipeline looks great. 

I'm confident that letting RF go was the right move.  I'm pleased with The Committee so far, and guardedly optimistic moving forward.  But I wonder: if The Committee had the reins 4 years ago, would it have done as good a job in building a base for the Canes as RF did?  We'll never know, but maybe it's a matter of "horses for courses".  Maybe we rode the right horse for a while but waited too long before switching to a horse suited for a fast track.   Which we hopefully now have.   :crossfingers:

Edited by LakeLivin

11 hours ago, cc said:

I personally would be interested if anyone who votes things are not "better" as to why.  It appears by actions that we have gotten everything we were complaining about.

Goaltending is worse I’m afraid. And everyone, including Waddell and Dundon, identified that as the area we most needed to improve back in April. I like the other moves so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to realize how good a job Francis actually did up until he hit a wall.  Think about where we were a couple years ago when our top prospects were players like Chris Terry and Ryan Murphy.  Or when it was a big deal for us to pick up a Nesty or Dahlbeck off of waivers.  Now other teams are happy to get our cast offs and our pipeline looks great. 

I'm confident that letting RF go was the right move.  I'm pleased with The Committee so far, and guardedly optimistic moving forward.  But I wonder: if The Committee had the reins 4 years ago, would it have done as good a job in building a base for the Canes as RF did?  We'll never know, but maybe it's a matter of "horses for courses".  Maybe we rode the right horse for a while but waited too long before switching to a horse suited for a fast track.   Which we hopefully now have.   :crossfingers:

Francis was the perfect person when he was put in the GM position, and he did an incredible job of filling the cupboard that Rutherfart had totally decimated.  He just couldn't take, or at least had not yet successfully taken, the next step, and with new ownership, the next step was paramount.  But a lot of the positives this team has going for it right now can be attributed directly to Francis.  As opposed to some of Rutherfart's crap that we're still trying to get out of.

Edited by realmdrakkar
  • Like 2