cc

Poll: How have Waddell and Dundon done so far

Right track wrong track same track  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Waddell and Dundons efforts

• Better than previous
    • Worse
    • Same crap as before

Just curious if people can see the who voted feature now. Click the little person icon to the right of the bars on the graph to see.

40 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just curious if people can see the who voted feature now. Click the little person icon to the right of the bars on the graph to see.

I can.

Finally got around to voting on this poll. The fact that mgmt pulled off a hockey trade that looks fair to good, after having difficulties in contract negotiations is a big plus. They followed that up with good acquisitions on the FA market to help improve the roster. We may later regret some of these deals, but mgmt has definitely improved the "ability to take decisive action" skill set.

Well, since I'm now "exposed" I'll explain why I voted "same crap."

Something about TD is just feeling like Deja Vu all over again.

Yeah, yeah, I know.  The big trade.  The lucky #2 draw.

But then.  The cheapness.  The goalie mess.  Etc.

I'm still waiting to see.  Get back to me in October.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The de Haan signing has started to alleviate some of my concerns about cheapness.  At least for now, I'm taking Dundon at his word when he said [paraphrasing] that he'll spend money, but that he's going to do it wisely.  Verdict is still out on the goalie situation for me.  I'd have preferred Lehner to Mrazek, but that ignores the rumors about Lehner's locker room issues, which is troubling.  I'm still hoping the committee makes it a 3-way competition for the crease before camp begins.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

wxray1, I get your angst, and don't fault you for it. Deep down, I'll bet all on here are "gun shy", simply because we are in the throes of 9 years of sustained failure at multiple levels. Then too, there is Waddell's unfortunate association with a "sold out" franchise, and TD's obvious unorthodox approach to ownership. In this frame of mind, any slight indication of failure could send anyone of us down a rabbit hole of despair. I personally am holding out until next playoffs before I jump off the ledge, knowing full well that I'll have wide swings of depression/rapture during the season.

WXray1, I 100% get where you are coming from. The #2 pick alone is a course changer so it makes difficult to evaluate the new regime. For now, I had to give them a better than previous vote as they have been taking action. Even if we later regret some of the actions they have taken, I still have to say they improved over previous because they took action.

On 7/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, super_dave_1 said:

I rate it at 75.  It has a good beat and you can dance to it.

Yeah, but will it have staying power, or a one hit wonder?

Time to revisit.  91% of you said "better."

So what do you think?  I voted "same crap," but if I could I'd change it to worse.

First of all, TD promised a lot and has gone backwards in delivery.  The experience at the rink is amazingly worse.  No organ, higher prices on everything, including parking.  Less STM perks.  And he couldn't even work with The Authority on the scoreboard.  But what difference would that have made anyway.  The rollback is perplexing.  I mean, really, no organ?   How much is that costing you?

Secondly, the decisions on management and players is starting to speak for itself in the game play.  The team has managed to hang in there, and admittedly the pickup of McE has saved the day.  THAT was a good decision.  Everything else is concerning, especially with regard to offense.  The failure of offense not only is costing games, it is costing enjoyment at the arena.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Secondly, the decisions on management and players is starting to speak for itself in the game play.  The team has managed to hang in there, and admittedly the pickup of McE has saved the day.  THAT was a good decision.  Everything else is concerning, especially with regard to offense.  The failure of offense not only is costing games, it is costing enjoyment at the arena.

I'm happy with a few of the other signings/acquisitions - Mrazek (this is the best i've felt about our tandem as a whole in more years than i want to count), Ferland (though i do think we could have gotten him for less, and i remain utterly unimpressed by Hamilton), and Martinook - and i'm actually for the most part good with Brind'Amour as head coach.  I never voted in this poll - i was in 'wait and see' mode - and i'd need a 4th 'hit and miss' option to vote now.  I can't say better or worse - i mean look at where we are in the standings - but it isn't the same crap as before because they made some moves that never could have been dreamed of under earlier regimes, though they certainly brought some questionable antics in to replace others that they got rid of.

I am thoroughly baffled by the complete misdirection that this current owner projects. 1st he comes in like a whirlwind, and we hear "rumors" of great change starting with The Fan Experience. Now I've been an STH or whatever the acronym is currently, and other than change the letters for this designation, have seen very little in the way of improving my experience since 2002? I have seen parking double, seat prices rise and food prices with essentially the same old venue, rise as well. The entertainment has certainly been cheapened, giveaways lessened and the game's lineup sheet made scarce? As a STH, and sitting on the 3rd level, precious few things are ever brought up to us? As a commuter from 70+ miles away, no changes have been considered to accommodate those of us who faithfully make that trip 41 times a year?

But to heck with all of that, the initial bravado brought on by our cap wearing rogue suggested he was going to build a much needed, up to date practice facility for the team. Where did those plans disappear to? Yes, he upgraded the locker room and other subterranean haunts for players, I am told, but the other, which might serve as visible proof of owner concern for his players, remains as far as I can tell, fallow.

Now, don't get me wrong, my creature comfort and those grandiose plans, I can live without. Where I want to see Tom Dundon put $$$ where his mouth is, is GET US INTO THE D@#M PLAYOFFS. And oh, BTW, has there been a Dundon sighting in Raleigh lately? This use to be such a positive difference between this current owner and Karmanos, and admittedly I might have missed it as a friend says she saw him at the Skate with the Team event, but those visits seem to be on the back burner? Interest waning there Tom?

So overall, even though our current record may be a hair better, I am just not impressed at this juncture.

• Like 6

This off-season decides how I feel about TD and DW.  

This past off-season we moved out the over-asking folks, the didnt want to be here folks, and the not going all the time folks.  

He has spent the most on a single FA (18 million), brought in Ferland and Hamilton, and got a new locker room and new practice facility in the works.  

We have Aho, Turbo, Ferland, etc to bring back.  A slew of Free Agents are available in Goal and in the top 6 forward range.  I wasnt expecting him to turn the team around in one off-season.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

gocanes, ?? where is the new practice facility? Did I miss that? And no, I wasn't expecting a team turnaround in one season, but I did and do think we should be in playoffs.

• Like 1

I expected more from the fan experience.  This can be changed immediately while the team builds, rebuilds, or whatever.  Certain attempts were made, some of which caused gnashing of teeth, some nice.

But with the new season?  No improvements, only more money out of my pocket and less perks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

gocanes, ?? where is the new practice facility? Did I miss that? And no, I wasn't expecting a team turnaround in one season, but I did and do think we should be in playoffs.

allow me to edit.  and new practice facility in the works.  

I forgot a new jumbotron coming whenever the arena managerial company approves the plans.  

Don't really know that I voted initially, but the grade is awful!  We don't have a complete roster and have way too many people playing out of position for NHL success.  I am probably in the minority, but I do believe everybody in our lineup is NHL worthy.  They are just playing out of position.

I was torn on how to vote. I like Calgary trade although Lindholm lighting it up hurts. The Skinner giveaway for basically nothing I give huge thumbs down. I guess better than before but much more needed to right the ship. I doubt the GMs are lining up to do business with us thanks to Dundin’s rogue ways.