cc

Poll: How have Waddell and Dundon done so far

Right track wrong track same track  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Waddell and Dundons efforts

• Better than previous
    • Worse
    • Same crap as before

Change my vote from better to worse. PK would not spend money, but there were indications in the last few years he didn’t have it to spend. By all accounts, Dundon has plenty of money. The NHL should not have approved him as an owner if he wasn’t going to stabilize the franchise financially. Then he dumped Francis and cheaped out on every management hire he made. Say what you want about Ronnie, but if we cut Waddell loose tomorrow, see which of them gets another job in senior management first. At this point, the jury is out on the Calgary trade, and we can’t seem to make a deal to tap our supposed surplus of defense to bring in a proven offensive player or two. If all the 1 and 2 goal games don’t bring a sense of urgency about getting something done, getting shut out by the worst team in the league should. I’ll gladly change my vote again if TD and company use the assets we have to make the team more competitive, but I sure haven’t seen it yet. Bring in some offense. Sign Aho to an extension. Build a first-rate practice facility. Then maybe I’ll believe we have changed our culture from being the cheapest in the league. 

8 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I am thoroughly baffled by the complete misdirection that this current owner projects. 1st he comes in like a whirlwind, and we hear "rumors" of great change starting with The Fan Experience. Now I've been an STH or whatever the acronym is currently, and other than change the letters for this designation, have seen very little in the way of improving my experience since 2002? I have seen parking double, seat prices rise and food prices with essentially the same old venue, rise as well. The entertainment has certainly been cheapened, giveaways lessened and the game's lineup sheet made scarce? As a STH, and sitting on the 3rd level, precious few things are ever brought up to us? As a commuter from 70+ miles away, no changes have been considered to accommodate those of us who faithfully make that trip 41 times a year?

But to heck with all of that, the initial bravado brought on by our cap wearing rogue suggested he was going to build a much needed, up to date practice facility for the team. Where did those plans disappear to? Yes, he upgraded the locker room and other subterranean haunts for players, I am told, but the other, which might serve as visible proof of owner concern for his players, remains as far as I can tell, fallow.

Now, don't get me wrong, my creature comfort and those grandiose plans, I can live without. Where I want to see Tom Dundon put $$$ where his mouth is, is GET US INTO THE D@#M PLAYOFFS. And oh, BTW, has there been a Dundon sighting in Raleigh lately? This use to be such a positive difference between this current owner and Karmanos, and admittedly I might have missed it as a friend says she saw him at the Skate with the Team event, but those visits seem to be on the back burner? Interest waning there Tom?

So overall, even though our current record may be a hair better, I am just not impressed at this juncture.

As usual, KJUN, you took the words right out of my mouth... while using fewer than I would have!

28 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Sign Aho to an extension. Build a first-rate practice facility. Then maybe I’ll believe we have changed our culture from being the cheapest in the league. 

Except that we won't have. We'll again have ONE star player on a long-term deal--with insufficient support - let alone other stars - to make a damn bit o' difference. 

I'll get the pitchforks, you grab the torches. WE'RE GOIN' TO HOUSTON.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

As usual, KJUN, you took the words right out of my mouth... while using fewer than I would have!

Well top, that's not usually a complement I hear, but thanks.

19 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Hoodwinked,once a car salesman...always a car salesman. NEVER TRUST AN UNSHAVEN MAN IN A WARMUP SUIT.

Hmmm, now that's something to ponder for sure slap. The longer the status quo continues, it puts a punctuation on the classic "bait and switch" shell game doesn't it?

Waddell has dome far better than I could of imagined. I was not very optimistic when the guy who was in charge of the Thrashers was the guy we picked. He wasn't able to get that top 6 scorer, the Skinner move was befuddling but he helped shore up our D (see deHann) add some toughness (Ferland). He found and grabbed a goalie. He has a right side D man yet to trade (pick your choice). He isn't afraid to make deals.Having said that the lack of getting the additional scoring makes his tenure incomplete.

On Dundon, is he a passionate involved owner or is he just another carpetbagger ?   :popcorn:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

On Dundon, is he a passionate involved owner or is he just another carpetbagger ?   :popcorn:

It is starting to look like it.  Another lockout would reset everything and despite what has been said by TD or Bettman, our friend from the north Texas may just takes his windfall elsewhere.

Edited by wxray1

8 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

It is starting to look like it.  Another lockout would reset everything and despite what has been said by TD or Bettman, our friend from the north Texas may just takes his windfall elsewhere.

what 6 years from now?

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

what 6 years from now?

No.  Possible lockout would be 20-21.  Everything could be up for grabs during that time.  We'll hear more noise about this near the end of the season.  Let's hope the noise is an extension.  However...

The players have dug in.  Bettman threw them the Olympic bone last year to extend the CBA to 25.  They threw the bone back and dug in, missing the Olympics.  Maybe you were thinking of that deadline (2025)?   If I recall, there is a hard deadline for 2022, and the most likely year.  However, there are apparently terms that can allow either side an option to call an end following the 19-20 season.

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Another lockout would reset everything and despite what has been said by TD or Bettman, our friend from the north Texas may just takes his windfall elsewhere.

Whether by design or not, he might just be running this team in such a way that the next CBA sets us up for another Cup run.  Worked last time...

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

No.  Possible lockout would be 20-21.  Everything could be up for grabs during that time.  We'll hear more noise about this near the end of the season.  Let's hope the noise is an extension.  However...

The players have dug in.  Bettman threw them the Olympic bone last year to extend the CBA to 25.  They threw the bone back and dug in, missing the Olympics.  Maybe you were thinking of that deadline (2025)?   If I recall, there is a hard deadline for 2022, and the most likely year.  However, there are apparently terms that can allow either side an option to call an end following the 19-20 season.

I think that were6 years from 7 years no movement clause for franchise when new owner buys it.

While it's not owned by them, a new state of the art practice facility is in the works.  Pretty sure I read that Canes were collaborating on the project to make sure it fits their needs.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article216609440.html

I'm still holding off judgement on TDs willingness to spend until next summer. While it's frustrating that the Canes didn't do more to add some offensive firepower this past offseason, when I look at what was available last summer and compare it to what might be available next, I can see how keeping our powder dry could be a smart move.  That is IF they go all out and land a forward who could be a difference maker next summer.  Until that plays out, the verdict is still out in my mind.  

The one thing I do expect to see this season is for the committee to translate some of our defensive depth into more offense.  The tricky part is that we need top end offensive talent, and how often do teams give that up? Seems like most teams want to end up with the best player in a deal and are willing to give up a lesser "base" player along with add-ons and futures that make up the difference.  And we really don't need more add-ons or futures.  So while we fans will be (justifiably imo) critical of inaction, we'll also be critical if we "lose" a trade by too big a margin.  It takes 2 to tango, and I pray we can find an appropriate dance partner.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, OBXer said:

Waddell has dome far better than I could of imagined. I was not very optimistic when the guy who was in charge of the Thrashers was the guy we picked. He wasn't able to get that top 6 scorer, the Skinner move was befuddling but he helped shore up our D (see deHann) add some toughness (Ferland). He found and grabbed a goalie. He has a right side D man yet to trade (pick your choice). He isn't afraid to make deals.Having said that the lack of getting the additional scoring makes his tenure incomplete.

I disagree a bit on Waddell. The Skinner trade and Zykov giveaway are still inexplicable to me. So starting from that, he has a lot to atone for. I’all give credit where credit is due on De Haan. Ferland has brought toughness and scoring. But he’s a UFA this summer and could be gone. Meanwhile, slotted in Ferland’s old spot in Calgary, Lindholm has matched his scoring, and I always thought Lindy was one of our tougher players. As to picking up McE, not sure he would have done that if Darling did not pick a fortuitous time to get injured, but given our struggles in goal and McE’s numbers, Waddell should have been fired on the spot if he did not jump all over that, at least to give him a look see. So on balance, I don’t think he’s distinguished himself, we are fiddling while Rome burns on contracts for Aho and Turbo, and he has done nothing to improve our offense even though we have a surplus of defense, prospects, and picks to work with. Had we not screwed up royally with Zykov, last year’s AHL goal scoring leader might have been a great sweetener in a deal trading one of our D for badly needed proven offense. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I disagree a bit on Waddell.

That's why I give him an incomplete. For me he has done better than I would of suspected when he was named. That doesn't mean I'm all in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

That's why I give him an incomplete. For me he has done better than I would of suspected when he was named. That doesn't mean I'm all in.

Building on this, I will judge Waddell mostly by that "yet to come, elusive, but clearly needed" D for O trade. It is still too soon to declare him Francisian in that effort. I think we made a major play for Nylander, but it takes two to trade, and Toronto is highly motivated to get at least one run out of Nylander before trading him. 

It is hard to make these types of deals, but they are made. Top scorers don't move alot, but they DO move. Duchene, Hoffman, Hall, Johansen, Skinner (sorry), E Staal (sorry again), Lindholm (sorry yet again), and more. For now I wait. If he gets the right guy, it will all be OK. If not? Well, the current cast might step it up, but if they don't we will lack the firepower and miss again.

• Like 1

And I will add further, in Waddell's defense, that if what most of us seem to suspect is true and TD is the actual GM, there is likely a power struggle between what Waddell wants to do and what Rod wants.

And therein lies the problem with management-by-committee.

I was going to say I don't know how you can grade DW on what he's doing when we really don't know how the committee works. Heck do we even really know who the committee is besides assuming?

I say absolutely horrible now that we are into the season.  No money spent on improving team.   Just sitting back and accepting another .500 team.  Skinner trade worst in franchise history.  Plan seemed to be trade away our only goal scorer and hope AHLers, an 18 year old, and Aho would lead us to scoring goals and to the playoffs.  It was a bad plan and has not worked.  We needed offense bad this summer and instead we gave it away and did not replace it.  one step back and two more steps back(with offense).  The hole is giant to fill now on the forward lines. 

In their defense, Maybe Skinner wanted out and was an A holio about it who knows.  Maybe nobody wanted to make a trade with us.  Maybe nobody wanted to sign here to play and they tried.   So I leave those possible options open as to where we are where we are now.  But it's easier to say bad management and cheap owner. 

The more I hear from Dundon the more I think we have nothing more than a used car salesman at the helm. His actions always seem to contradict his previous statements. Dundon is all in for expanding the playoffs to additional teams. I don't agree with his rationale as I don't think it increases the product on the ice. It could although give him the possibility of seeing playoff hockey and increased revenues without spending additional dollars. Remember the previous statements of increasing the fan experience? What actions has he done to increase that experience? From my perspective he wants the NHL to come to him without him increasing the product.  He also wants to see increased marketing for teams top players to increase the fan experience and draw more butts into the seats. Another no cost move to help his attendance.  Another beauty of a comment is that he will only sell if the team is loosing and he just can't take it. How about changing the loosing mentality and deliver a better quality product?

http://chumam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-12336?smc=85  at the 24:00 min mark

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2018/12/10/carolina-hurricanes-owner-tom-dundon-is-one-to-think-outside-the-box.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=1200pm&utm_campaign_id=Opinion&utm_content=feschukcolumnhurricanesowner

Edited by slapshot02

I am so angry at our pathetic owner and GM. It’s more of the same. Trade away talented players and watch them blossom elsewhere. Why? Because you are too cheap and or not smart enough to acquire enough talent for them to realize their potential! The list is endless. And the same goes with coaches. Love ya Brindy and you were my favorite Cane but you were not seasoned enough to turn around this team although who could with the lack of talent to work with. I don’t think any experienced GM or proven winning coach wanted anything to do with us. A good business man does not equal a successful hockey team owner.  Please spend some money wisely and help our team. You might have to overpay as we are not exactly a destination of choice these days.