Poll: How have Waddell and Dundon done so far

Right track wrong track same track  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Waddell and Dundons efforts

• Better than previous
    • Worse
    • Same crap as before

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

All I saw is he said he wanted more offensive skill. So I'm down with that. 

Each part 1/5 2/5 3/5 4/5 5/5 has a view tab you need to click

First take, Chip please go away literally anyone is covering the team better then you now. This twitter user doesn't even appear to be a journalist, right?

Second take, I dunno how she led the questions but that was an odd amount of what will keep TD in Raleigh and what won't. Seems really early to talk about what will keep him here, he just got here?

He wants to get down to 10 mil operating losses at a max, from the 15-20 he's currently at. So sure, he says what we want to hear about getting offense but how the hell we're paying for it is beyond me. He adds a 6 mil scorer where's he cutting 6 mil because the fans are not going to immediately come back after 10 years. is he going to lash out irrationally that the fans don't blindly return after he adds a scorer?

He's going to need to pony up and take a big loss one year in hopes the fans return for the next. Which sounds like the big huzzah for the future of hockey in Raleigh.

1 minute ago, legend-1 said:

I dunno how she led the questions

Doesn't appear to be a journalist, appears to be taken from remarks at Dundon breakfast this morning. Think the source was the biz journal but not in story entirety. More pulling stuff out. I hope the N&O does something so we can link an actual article. The tweets do seem to be getting some action around the hockey media.

I'm in on the downtown arena

It was obvious that the Canes were undercapitalized when Dundon bought the team. If he didn’t intend to spend the money to turn the team around, he should not have bought it. Actions mean more than words, Tom.

• Like 1

Interesting points.

first mistake- not drafting defense in the first round. Thats a definite that should be avoided m

moving to downtown. Ehhh. Could be good or bad. Braves just moved away from downtown.

waddell having to calm down TD. TD is chewing at the bit to be better. Hopefully nothing rash though.

interesting that he is cool with losing 15 million this year.  Fat stack problems.

Not sure what you guys did when you thought you read that, but it wasn’t too bad to me, I thought it was more promising than I expected. He’s too damn impatient for sure, but he was only referring to keeping the team in Raleigh when answering questions about keeping the team in Raleigh. He looks pretty committed to that. 

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I trust Tom Dundon as far as I can throw him.  That guy has done jack squat for the people that go to games and suffer.

I think one of Tom’s early faults is that he seems to devalue things that don’t appeal to him. Lineup sheets for example. Couldn’t track one down a week ago. Was a first for me. I can see him saying “who’s buying advertising for this? What’s our print budget? Looks like a waste. Bag it.”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Not sure what you guys did when you thought you read that, but it wasn’t too bad to me, I thought it was more promising than I expected. He’s too damn impatient for sure, but he was only referring to keeping the team in Raleigh when answering questions about keeping the team in Raleigh. He looks pretty committed to that. 

26 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

I think one of Tom’s early faults is that he seems to devalue things that don’t appeal to him. Lineup sheets for example. Couldn’t track one down a week ago. Was a first for me. I can see him saying “who’s buying advertising for this? What’s our print budget? Looks like a waste. Bag it.”

My butt has been in a seat in ESA, RBC, PNC for a long time.  I've seen it all.

I've been to those breakfasts, and those fancy brunches and listened to talking heads, throughout the org.  

I've sat live through a lot of Canes games.  Nothing is better now since he took over, unless you focus on the big talk.  Whatever, we are once again not winning hockey games or engaging fans-  name one thing as far as the fan experience going to games is better?  The losses fill just like the old losses. The problems feel just like the old problems. El Cheapo feels just like El Cheapo.  I find myself just not liking the guy.  

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

I didn’t think it was bad. He has ideas and thoughts.  Definitely need offense and Im glad he sees it. Although, offense can be bought just as much as defense.  JT was bought. Duchene, Stone, and Skinner will all be bought this offseason.

Im not sure how to feel about the downtown thing. A) do we expect taxpayers to pay for an arena downtown for a squad that struggles to fill seats? Outside of replacing the civic center events, what else would we use it for and how do we repurpose PNC?

b) Downtown Raleigh is an ‘meh’ place with not so good traffic and parking.  Not sure i see the advantage there.  If he can get some space around the arena he could build a Canes version of the battery.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

interesting that he is cool with losing 15 million this year.  Fat stack problems.

I wouldn't say he's cool with it, I'd say he's come to terms with it for this season and said his max losses per year that he thought was worth keeping the team was 10 mil.

8 hours ago, BoDarville said:

I think one of Tom’s early faults is that he seems to devalue things that don’t appeal to him. Lineup sheets for example.

Other examples:

- Traditional organ play

- Beer that doesn't cost the price of a 12 pack for 1

- Perks for all (bobbleheads, freebies distributed evenly through arena, etc)

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im not sure how to feel about the downtown thing. A) do we expect taxpayers to pay for an arena downtown for a squad that struggles to fill seats? Outside of replacing the civic center events, what else would we use it for and how do we repurpose PNC?

b) Downtown Raleigh is an ‘meh’ place with not so good traffic and parking.  Not sure i see the advantage there.  If he can get some space around the arena he could build a Canes version of the battery.

Personally i think the best thing the Checkers ever did was moving away from the hive of humanity known as Uptown Charlotte.  I guess each has its benefits, but man, less traffic to fight and a dedicated parking area are nice perks.  Mind you a reasonable cost to park there would be nice as well.

23 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Personally i think the best thing the Checkers ever did was moving away from the hive of humanity known as Uptown Charlotte.  I guess each has its benefits, but man, less traffic to fight and a dedicated parking area are nice perks.  Mind you a reasonable cost to park there would be nice as well.

Agree.  I also feel like Raleigh as a whole is a giant working area with no true concentration of living or work.  The area is very spread out and putting it downtown doesnt necessarily bring it closer to anyone/anything of revenue generating importance.  

So TD wants to acquire a sniper.  What the **** do you think Skinner is?  Don’t want to draft a defenseman in the first round.  Wants skill.  Well Skinner checked all the boxes of what TD wants.

Maybe if the committee was smart enough to realize the goal scorers were already here and the problem was needed more talent to surround them, then the team wouldn’t currently look like a pee wee pond hockey team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

So TD wants to acquire a sniper.  What the **** do you think Skinner is?  Don’t want to draft a defenseman in the first round.  Wants skill.  Well Skinner checked all the boxes of what TD wants.

Maybe if the committee was smart enough to realize the goal scorers were already here and the problem was needed more talent to surround them, then the team wouldn’t currently look like a pee wee pond hockey team.

He said it hasnt worked out liked planned.  

Ultimately, the biggest measuring stick will come with how the team is put together. He's not even owned the team for a year yet, so we've not seen the full plan. But signing Aho to an extension, adding more offense, shoring up the goalie situation, those things will help. I like bobbleheads and lineup sheets, etc., but I'd like to win too.

26 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Ultimately, the biggest measuring stick will come with how the team is put together. He's not even owned the team for a year yet, so we've not seen the full plan. But signing Aho to an extension, adding more offense, shoring up the goalie situation, those things will help. I like bobbleheads and lineup sheets, etc., but I'd like to win too.

I'd like to win, but man, I really miss bobbleheads.....:letssee:

Of all the little chachkies the teams given out how the bobbleheads are so beloved remains a mystery to me. Are they so terrible their good?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I wouldn't say he's cool with it, I'd say he's come to terms with it for this season and said his max losses per year that he thought was worth keeping the team was 10 mil.

Don't forget the tax write offs.