Poll: How have Waddell and Dundon done so far

Right track wrong track same track  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Waddell and Dundons efforts

• Better than previous
    • Worse
    • Same crap as before

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Mongo and Dougie have cost us an exponentially higher amount of points than Rod has...let’s fire them too.  Tell you what, why hasn’t Aho kept up with his season opening streak?  Fire him too!

Not to start a holy war but I do not see big difference between allowing a softie and not scoring grade A+ chances (a clear break away or on 5 on 3).

Edited by Bonivan

I guess I'll put this here, but it was stimulated by mention of UFA's in another thread.

I agree with the sentiment that loading up on UFA's is not a recipe for success. But like so many things, IMO to just stop there is equally wrong. UFAs carry risks, but well placed UFA's can be game changing. The list of UFA's getting long pricey contracts and underperforming them is long indeed. But key placement of UFA's has been huge for teams too. 

TBH the fact that we are literally unable to buy into the big time UFA market has helped us make smaller, but mostly good UFA pick ups. 

Our current UFA signees: Justin Williams, Petr Mrazek, and Calvin DeHaan. All have been worth their money. 

But I want to take a moment on DeHaan. This was a quietly huge pick up IMO. This is that middle pair guy with the solid D and puck moving of a guy who could top pair if needed. He does the plus/minus things, that somehow, oddly, seem to also show up over stretches in his actual +/- too. He is currently #1 on the team, and somehow, he was in the top 2 his last two years with the Islanders too. But even if that stat is only a shaddow, you can see it on the ice and I'd wager you'd see it in more specific stats that look at those kind of things. The kinds of things that support winning games.

I think DeHaan, while not a block buster UFA, is a great example of a mid range UFA with more of a positive affect on winning than a first glance might suggest. I think this is also a guy that should allow us to trade one or even two D men in a eventual (still we wait) move for offense. I am a fan of Calvin DeHaan. When we start winning, he will be a part of why.

de Haan was the sneaky hire that also helps with the trade

de Haan, Hamilton, Ferland, Fox

for

Hanifin & Lindholm

if we can add Faulk to the out and a forward to the in, it is a solid set of moves

On 12/19/2018 at 11:31 AM, gocanes0506 said:

de Haan was the sneaky hire that also helps with the trade

de Haan, Hamilton, Ferland, Fox

for

Hanifin & Lindholm

if we can add Faulk to the out and a forward to the in, it is a solid set of moves

Lindholm has more points than Ferland and Hamilton combined and Hanifin is not doing too bad.   ( I may be wrong but I bet its close)

and Faulk.. really he has had a great defensive year. Not sure why people still want to trade him.. I'd Trade Hamilton first.

Hamilton plays lazy, turns it over all the time,, many times just when we are offensively getting something generated he flips it right to the other team..and throws half a&& shots that don't seem to have a chance of going in at the goalie or at least in the general direction. (maybe with more traffic in front of the net they might .. or a tip )   He is defensively awful... 

Ferland has been great though.  He is fun to watch and plays hard a great addition to the team.

De Haan- has been great.  great pickup.

The canes sure seem worse than last year..   I mean its pretty clear we just don't have the players to compete.  Playoffs are out... I have been a season ticket holder for many, many years.. and I think its time to save my money next year.  I would love to be wrong..

Dundon threw a lot of public promises out there said some great things.. but I think its all BS. 

He is a very successful business man and I am sure very intelligent and savvy but he sure sucks at helping his new hockey team improve...this new "culture" already needs to be blown up.   

To be fair i'm not sure what we have, that we would be willing to give up, that would even  bring in the forwards or goal scorers we need.

Edited by caryhurricanes

1 hour ago, caryhurricanes said:

Lindholm has more points than Ferland and Hamilton combined and Hanifin is not doing too bad.   ( I may be wrong but I bet its close)

and Faulk.. really he has had a great defensive year. Not sure why people still want to trade him.. I'd Trade Hamilton first.

Hamilton plays lazy, turns it over all the time,, many times just when we are offensively getting something generated he flips it right to the other team..and throws half a&& shots that don't seem to have a chance of going in at the goalie or at least in the general direction. (maybe with more traffic in front of the net they might .. or a tip )   He is defensively awful... 

Ferland has been great though.  He is fun to watch and plays hard a great addition to the team.

De Haan- has been great.  great pickup.

The canes sure seem worse than last year..   I mean its pretty clear we just don't have the players to compete.  Playoffs are out... I have been a season ticket holder for many, many years.. and I think its time to save my money next year.  I would love to be wrong..

Dundon threw a lot of public promises out there said some great things.. but I think its all BS. 

He is a very successful business man and I am sure very intelligent and savvy but he sure sucks at helping his new hockey team improve...this new "culture" already needs to be blown up.   

To be fair i'm not sure what we have, that we would be willing to give up, that would even  bring in the forwards or goal scorers we need.

I heard that stat about Lindy having more points on XM this morning. They said he is playing RW on the Flames top line, and those guys were making him better, but Lindy was making those guys better, as well. 

At the very least our brass isn't publicly imploding quite like Dallas:

https://theathletic.com/738047/2018/12/28/stars-ownership-benn-and-seguin-holding-team-back/

*for those without a subscription: Dallas management having an absolute public tantrum and calling players out by name.*

Hey Donnie, get on the phone and see if you can get Seguin to walk, maybe he just needs a change of scenery. 

Edited by Beaufort12plus
content behind paywall

3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

What is the ANSWER?

not having a LOSING CULTURE  I,m getting sick of watching LOSING hockey over and over

3 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

I am just curious......do you think firing Peters was not the answer?  (BTW he was not fired......).

for your answer peter knew he was not wanted back

Repeatedly posting the same thing is against board rules as is overtly political posting. I've taken down those posts. Please follow board rules.

I found it insulting that our GM came to our Lbox during the Detroit game and spent all his time talking to the damn Detroit fans.  Guess he doesn’t want to hear from Carolina fans. 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Repeatedly posting the same thing is against board rules as is overtly political posting. I've taken down those posts. Please follow board rules.

sorry for the remarks I,m trying to some people excited

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raptor1102 said:

I found it insulting that our GM came to our Lbox during the Detroit game and spent all his time talking to the damn Detroit fans.  Guess he doesn’t want to hear from Carolina fans. 

how we need to put Pressure on the G M for doing that. write or call the owner and tell him I,m insulted that our GM came in our L BOX and he was  talking about the damn Detroit fans lets put PRESURE on Carolina to make us a winner

33 minutes ago, ja1964 said:

sorry for the remarks I,m trying to some people excited

You're new, and still welcome here. It's fine to get people excited, but lots of members have been on these boards living the same nightmare over and over and over, and knowing the audience can be helpful. Also, there is a fine line between getting people excited and breaking board rules sometimes. We mods like vigorous, spirited debate but it can spill over into name calling, politics, trolling, spamming and other things against board rules. 

Rules are boring, but consistently breaking them will take new members on a one way trip in the wrong direction. Especially when first starting out, I suggest running particularly any emotional posts through these rules before posting them: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/forum/66-forum-rules-and-guidelines/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raptor1102 said:

I wonder if that was right after coastal ripped him a new one on the concourse during intermission, lol?  Don't mean to be snarky or critical of coastal venting when he had the chance (I understand), but I've got to believe that given the (justifiable) level of frustration among Canes fans. Canes mgmt might be a little gun shy when it comes to initiating public interactions with Canes fans.

Having said that, they're presumably at a level where they should have the skills to be able to interact even with PO'd fans without leaving them feeling insulted like DW did with you.

9 hours ago, remkin said:

You're new, and still welcome here. It's fine to get people excited, but lots of members have been on these boards living the same nightmare over and over and over, and knowing the audience can be helpful. Also, there is a fine line between getting people excited and breaking board rules sometimes. We mods like vigorous, spirited debate but it can spill over into name calling, politics, trolling, spamming and other things against board rules. 

Rules are boring, but consistently breaking them will take new members on a one way trip in the wrong direction. Especially when first starting out, I suggest running particularly any emotional posts through these rules before posting them: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/forum/66-forum-rules-and-guidelines/

please tell the N,B,A Memphis grizzlies fan board that .

Maybe Dundon knew that we would finish in terrible position by seasons end if he put what we now know as our team/management in place, seeing as that he has publicly voiced his dislike for spending money in fee agency, and garner a non-mushy middle draft pick. Or maybe I'm giving him to much credit or maybe I'm in denial and I'm trying to explain away to myself my awful Canes. I mean how on Earth can you explain some of these hires? You mean to tell me no one out there had a better resume than a guy under whom a team collapsed and had to move?

• Like 1

Can we hire the Stars CEO?  Anyone see what he said publicly about Seguin and Ben?

Wish we’d have management like that 

This team just lacks the talent to compete night in and night out. One trade will not fix that (but it could be a start). I absolutely do not trust Don Waddell or Rick Dudley with a rebuild. Or Tom Dundon if he’s making the decisions. Could he admit his mistake and search for a new GM? Our goaltending is adequate. Our defense should be solid. We need playmakers. Another botched move or two will set us back for years. So could we get someone with successful bloodlines in to oversee those moves?