The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

A Poll

The Future of Skinner and Faulk  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who Comes Back in 2018-19? Lot's of Talk But So Far No Action

I wanted to hit neither because I feel like that is what the round table is working towards. If it were up to me Skinner would stay and I would already be working on finding a way to keep him. I know he gets bashed a lot in here and I can not figure out why. I know he is not big on defense but he is pretty high up in the league in take aways and even though he didnt  get as many passed goalies he created a lot of chances. If (and this gets brought up a lot) he had better line mates last year I feel like we wouldnt be having these discussions.

• Like 1

I think Faulk is the more obvious choice, simply because he's the "5th wheel" so to speak(in his case the 7th defenseman, but you get what I mean). I think this as I believe we've seen just about all Faulk brings, and we have replacements, both in place as well as in the system, to overcome that trade. Getting a high piece back for him would be ideal, but I for one don't see that as critical as I would/do for Jeff.

Jeff, on the other hand is, and likely always be, an enigma. Hot/cold, streaky, ever unpredictable, the question I now have is with at least 30% new teammates, a new coach quite possibly with a new philosophy and a different team atmosphere, will Jeff rediscover his play of 2 years ago? Oh, and the probable greatest "carrot" of all, working toward a new contract. Those unknowns would sway me toward keeping him in the fold, with likely high reward. That, and I further believe any trade for him would be highly restrictive, not only on his part with his restrictive movement(NMC vs NTC, have never been sure which he has), but also I'd believe that management would insist on "wining" or surely breaking even on any such trade?

I have to qualify my Neither vote.  I dont think either will make it the whole season.  Likely Skinner may"survive" longer.

I said Neither but I meant full season.  When I don't know.

Faulk will be gone because of the D logjam.

Skinner will be gone since the biggest sin is not moving a guy you don't intend to or can't re-sign.   That is the legacy of Garth Snow.

I went with Skinner back in the fold and Faulk gone. Because it's what I would do. 

But seriously, Faulk is in a log jam. And unless we're to believe that the club wants to move Pesce, all of these moves on D add up to Faulk being gone.

There is so much chatter about Skinner that he may be the better bet. But to me Skinner was worth far more than Faulk before we got De Haan and Hamilton, but now it's not even close. We need Skinner. We need to move Faulk.

• Like 2

The Question.... was, who comes back?  Meaning do we open the season with one or the other, both, are neither on the roster?  Not that it really matters, it's just a poll, none are perfect.  But that was what I was getting at.

I voted neither, because I think that’s most likely what will happen. The handwriting is on the wall for Faulk for sure. I am worried that the NTC/NMC that they have could seriously affect what we can get back. There are rumblings that Skinner has already invoked his. With the public flogging they have gotten from the likes of Erik Cole, and in Skinner’s case, some borderline support from RB, I could see them holding up trades unless they really want to be somewhere. Skinner I think could snap back here or elsewhere, and if it’s elsewhere, people will wonder why we let him go. And we haven’t already acquired his replacement as we have with Faulk. Hope it plays out soon, because if either or both are here when camp opens without some mutual vote of confidence, it will be a major distraction.

11 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Hope it plays out soon, because if either or both are here when camp opens without some mutual vote of confidence, it will be a major distraction.

I voted neither.  Thinking through all the stuff.  I keep coming back to both had a letter last year.  How can you keep those guys and keep the letter on both of them?  Not seeing that option.  Keep those guys and take the letter away?  I guess.  Ship them out?  Probably the best path forward if I had to make that tough decision.  It's sounding more and more like that's the path of interest.

We may not win these trades to tackle a different animal.

13 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

We may not win these trades to tackle a different animal.

This has been my thinking the last few days.

I voted neither, if only out of hope.

I voted Skinner, but I was thinking at the start of the season.  I think the d moves were made with the idea of moving Faulk.  I think they'd move Skinner, but his value may be higher at the trade deadline than now if they are only being offered futures.

35 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I voted Skinner, but I was thinking at the start of the season.  I think the d moves were made with the idea of moving Faulk.  I think they'd move Skinner, but his value may be higher at the trade deadline than now if they are only being offered futures.

The only issue with trading at deadline is that Canes might be in play-off hunt at deadline

I can't remember how I voted!  Is there a way to check?

Anyway, Skinner's poster fell off the wall this morning.  Actually, it was the wall cling which I put up as a poster.  In light of this event, I peeled off Jeff and stuck him on my A/C duct return.  Maybe this will get some movement going.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

can't remember how I voted!  Is there a way to check?

If you go to the poll and click view results, on the far right you will see the number of people who voted in each category, clck on the number and it will list who voted for that category.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If you go to the poll and click view results, on the far right you will see the number of people who voted in each category, clck on the number and it will list who voted for that category.

OK. That is pretty cool. You can even do it for past old polls.

54 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Sounds like Jedi-Admin powers only, seeing that Rem thumbed up you too.

I don't have any "view results."  I clicked everything I could find and it was cold dead.  What am I doing wrong, or is this only for the Jedis?

What I see...

poll.JPG

Okay Guys, dumb me. Don't know how I was reading the question when I voted, but I screwed up. My answer and my reasoning just don't make sense, and it's because I read the question as Who's traded? At any rate I believe Faulk is the logical one to go, and if one reads my reasoning, it makes better sense if you reverse the question. SORRY

wxray1, your vote like mine was for Faulk. As I just admitted, I messed up and thus that should make 1 more vote for Skinner as staying. Can't you click on the # at the right?

6 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Sounds like Jedi-Admin powers only, seeing that Rem thumbed up you too.

I don't have any "view results."  I clicked everything I could find and it was cold dead.  What am I doing wrong, or is this only for the Jedis?

What I see...

poll.JPG

Sorry wxray it may have been an admin feature that was added during a very recent board update. There is no reason for the view option not to be available but I don't write the program. I'll check further. In the meantime if it is helpful you vote went to someone who you often find close to the blueline.

OK.  I answered who I thought would be traded, not necessarily who I want.  Although, I wouldn't mind Faulk seeing other green foliage somewhere else.

But my wall cling says it is Skinner.  Mrs. Wxray just came home, pulled up the car, saw the change in the shrine and ran to me yelling, "Is Skinner traded!?"  She thought my placing of him on the HVAC unit was a sure sign of actual activity, not divined future moves.  :)

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Sorry wxray it may have been an admin feature that was added during a very recent board update. There is no reason for the view option not to be available but I don't write the program. I'll check further. In the meantime if it is helpful you vote went to someone who you often find close to the blueline.

I can’t see it either

1 hour ago, cc said:

I can’t see it either

Everyone should have the feature now. If it becomes troublesome we will ask that the feature be removed. 

• Like 1