The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Who makes a significant contribution to the Canes first?

Who makes a significant contribution to the Canes first: Svech, Necas, or an ex- Checker?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes a significant contribution to the Canes first: Svech, Necas, or an ex- Checker?

• Svech
    • Necas
    • "ex-Checker" (Zykov, Foegele, Wallmark, etc.)

Recent discussion got me wondering.  Who do you think first makes a significant impact for the Canes?  That doesn't mean who ends up better (either overall or even at the end of next season), and "significant contribution" is whatever you define it to be. I think it's one of those things that you know it when you see it.

Svech is only 18yo but he's seen as having elite potential.  He's been playing against kids but it has been on the smaller ice.

Necas is a year older and projections for him have been rising ever since we drafted him, but they're nowhere near as high as those for Svech.  Martin has been playing against men in a decent league, but on the big ice.

The "Chex Field" (most likely Zykov or Foegele).  Way lower projected "ceiling" than the other two, but even older, with more experience, and with proven success at a level much closer to the NHL.

I've kept the voting confidential, and given the way the question is framed I could see a logical argument for any of the three choices, but I'm curious to hear what others think.

Edited by LakeLivin

Necas will score the first Hurricane regular season goal of the season, and each goal is significant.  That's my story and i'm sticking to it, at least until the first regular season goal of the season.

10 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I'm thinking Svechnikov and Necas !

Well, the point was to pick which one of them.  The "ex-Chex" option was a last minute add on as it seemed a logical progression on the "max ceiling" and "age/ experience" continuums . 

I wish there was an "other".  I am hoping it will be one or both of our goalies.  If not we are screwed. IMHO

22 minutes ago, cc said:

I wish there was an "other".  I am hoping it will be one or both of our goalies.  If not we are screwed. IMHO

That would have been interesting, but a different question as this addresses our rookies.

Necas.  I think that other teams will focus on the "new" guy /rookie /#2 overall pick.  I see Svech having a better year, but I would expect Necas to come out of the gate fast.  That will take some pressure off Svech.  Hopefully our new found grit will protect our forwards on the front end, and make it harder for other teams on the back end.

1 hour ago, cc said:

1st Choice Alex Nedeljkovic. 

Honorable Mention: Josh Wesley Just because.

1 minute ago, cc said:

1st Choice Alex Nedeljkovic. 

Honorable Mention: Josh Wesley Just because.

There's your goalie; Ned fits under the "ex-Checker" category.  Speaking of which, I'm surprised we haven't had any British treasury jokes yet. :P