The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Project your 2018-2019 Carolina Hurricanes Lines

I want to know who you all think will be  in their spot for the Carolina Hurricanes  this coming season will be .

Teravainen - Aho - Svechnikov  = The new TSA Line  :D 

Skinner - Staal - Necas  

Ferland - Rask - Williams 

McGinn - Martinook -Zykov 

Slavin - Hamilton

de Haan- Pesce 

Fleury -  Faulk 

TVR

Darling 

Mrazek 

Hmmm if Skinner stays

Zykov-Aho-Turbo

Skinner-Staal-Williams

Ferland-Necas-Svech 

McGinn-Rask-Martinook

if Skinner goes with only futures coming back

ZAT

McGinn-Staal-Ferland (our BBC line)

Williams-Necas-Svech

Martinook-Rask-Foegele

Slavin-Hamilton

CDH-Pesce

Fleury-TVR

Edited by gocanes0506

I'm predicting that Slavin boosts his offensive productivity this season.  So to balance out our Ds offense, I'm thinking maybe 1A and 1B pairs (with the A and B interchangeable between the two sets of Dmen).  Plus, I like the idea of keeping Slavin and Pesce together.   

Slavin - Pesce

CDH - Hamilton 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hmmm if Skinner stays

Zykov-Aho-Turbo

Skinner-Staal-Williams

Ferland-Necas-Svech 

McGinn-Rask-Martinook

if Skinner goes with only futures coming back

ZAT

McGinn-Staal-Ferland (our BBC line)

Williams-Necas-Svech

Martinook-Rask-Foegele

Slavin-Hamilton

CDH-Pesce

Fleury-TVR

Faulk sits? 

Clearly I and I think most hope we get a nice return for Faulk, but if he's here, I can't imagine TVR beats  him out. If Faulk's minutes were limited and he quarterbacked one of the PP units, he could be effective. The guy does move the puck well. Maybe the demotion would cause him to pay some attention to his D. 

58 minutes ago, remkin said:

Faulk sits? 

Clearly I and I think most hope we get a nice return for Faulk, but if he's here, I can't imagine TVR beats  him out. If Faulk's minutes were limited and he quarterbacked one of the PP units, he could be effective. The guy does move the puck well. Maybe the demotion would cause him to pay some attention to his D. 

I dont see a scenario where Faulk stays.  

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I dont see a scenario where Faulk stays.  

That's what Sakic thought about Duchene back a while! As you know though, I hope  you're right. Of course, Duchene did eventually get moved.

I dont see us getting more value out of Fleury. Either Fleury or Faulk stays.  My bet is on Fleury stays because he should be cheaper on his next contract.  3 years 1.75 mil AAV.

Year 1 1.5 mil

Year 2 1.75 mil

Year 3 2 mil

Was Fleury perfect last year, no, but I dont see sitting him this year as #7.  I dont think he will gain anything in Charlotte.

Ok, I'll bite . . .on offense (assuming Skinner stays): 

Skinner-Aho-TT

McGinn-Staal-Williams

Ferland-Necas-Svech

Foegele-Rask-Zykov

Martinook

On defense (assuming Faulk goes):

Slavin-Pesce

deHaan-Hamilton

Fleury-TVR

Bean

Not sure what return we get for Faulk. If another top 9 winger or center, then a revision obviously would need to be made. If Skinner stays, give him good line mates with Aho and TT. That line would be exciting to watch. Staal's line again would be the shut-down line with lots of grit as well as some scoring upside. From what I saw in the prospects camp, I think Necas and Svetch have some chemistry, so keep them together for now on the third line until they get more experience. Throw Ferland in for the same role he played with Gaudreau and Monahan and as a protector for our rookies. If Rask bounces back, we could see some real scoring upside on the fourth line. 

Keep Slavin and Pesce together—no need to break them up. With deHaan and Hamilton, you have D lines 1A and 1B. Bean could challenge Fleury for the third-line spot. In a couple of years, we'll probably see a Bean-Fox pairing for the third line, giving us one of the best defensive groups in the NHL.

Edited by spyglass88

If Faulk and Skinner are still Canes on opening night; this lineup is clearly the deepest and most skilled that we have seen around here in quite some time. If we can acquire a top six forward for Faulk and picks/prospects, all the better. But Skinner has scored 61 goals in the last 2 years, and there aren't many "available" players in the league who have put up those numbers. We all have seen his inconsistent play off the puck; but now he plays for HCRB, and that should make him accountable. In his contract year, I would hope that he is motivated to have a huge year. We can always move him during the season if the right deal comes along; but we need scoring. He slots nicely into any of our lines including the top line, which would make them very dangerous. Back to the lineup; putting Necas and Svech on the third line, will protect them from seeing the oppositions top D most of the time. Willy on that line would provide experience; using Ferland in that spot would add some grit along the boards; or Skinner might thrive playing with that high level of skill. Our D with Faulk, and the additions of de Haan and Hamilton, make us as good or better at that end of the ice than about any other team that comes to mind. 

I just can't emphasize enough the well documented difficulty of learning to be an NHL D man. Fleury is on track. He has one NHL season. One. Did he put up points? No. But this was a rookie with 67 games played and managed to be -2, while somehow, despite their slick skills, Faulk and Hanifin playing in front of the same goalies, managed to allow a combined 46 more goals in our net than the other team when they were on the ice.

Fleury has more offense in him, that is the last thing to come for a young guy. We bailed on Hanifin, we will not bail on Fleury, and he does not need to and won't play more in the AHL (he's already done that). IMO.I think he will just get better and better and now that he can play bottom pair with our new additions, he will be fine. Another reason to move Faulk. 

We also have depth in the minors. If we have an injury McKeown is beyond ready, and Carrick could also step in. Faulk needs to go.

• Like 2

I really like Turbo Aho Svech on paper.

I also like the pairing of Rask and Williams. Neither of them are spead demons, Williams is a smart playmaker, and Rask can snipe.  I think McGinn would join them as a pretty solid checking line that score a bit as well.  I'm not convinced Rask will still be on the team though.  

4 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

A possible variation on the above. Switch Svetch and TT and split the rookies:

Skinner-Aho-Svetch

Ferland-Necas-TT

I can't see any scenario where Aho and Turbo are separated 

• Like 1

Fleury paired with TVR still gives us quite a stout D. I agree that Faulk should be traded; but we need a solid contributing player in return. We have enough picks, and NHL ready prospects. I'm only saying that if he won't get us a top six forward, his name on the 3rd pairing to start the season isn't too bad.

33 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I really like Turbo Aho Svech on paper.

I also like the pairing of Rask and Williams. Neither of them are spead demons, Williams is a smart playmaker, and Rask can snipe.  I think McGinn would join them as a pretty solid checking line that score a bit as well.  I'm not convinced Rask will still be on the team though.  

Staal needs to center the checking line, as that is the best use of his strengths. I don't trust Rask to play aggressive defense. Ideally, the checking line needs to have both grit and speed to play with the other team's top line. With McGinn-Staal-Williams, you're long on grit but short on speed. Not sure how to solve that—who could we switch with JW? 

Svech may very well wind up on the first line with Aho and TT, but I'm not sure that's the best place for him to start, since he will be facing the other team's best defenders most of the time.