The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
wscaniac

Goal Song

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Clearly, yes.

Funny how the very people who complain about the lack of fan support are ready to cancel their ticket plans over a few bars of music. I wonder if they'd be so opposed if a song containing explicit lyrics - by a musician of similar background to their own - had been chosen. 

I can't answer for everyone but 'no', I would not vote for a song with explicit language in it. This is supposed to be a family friendly environment but, with this song, kids are going to listen to the whole thing. And, the other thing about it is it's racial. A big no-no today!

11 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Clearly, yes.

Funny how the very people who complain about the lack of fan support are ready to cancel their ticket plans over a few bars of music. I wonder if they'd be so opposed if a song containing explicit lyrics - by a musician of similar background to their own - had been chosen. 

I really hope you are not trying to play the “race card” here.

For my part I hate country music as much as hip-hop. It’s not about “backgrounds”, it’s about trash music. I reluctantly use the term “music” to describe either genre. 

I’m just disappointed but it really is not a big deal at all. I agree that talking about cancelling tickets or not going to games over something this trivial is silly.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 11:18 PM, caryhurricanes said:

Yes.  Have not talked to anyone that likes that song.  It is ****.  I hated the old song but come on canes.  Do better.  Don’t promote this gutter trash just because it says Carolina.  Omg lol.  Hey must want people taking shirts off too.    Talk about looking like a trash org.  So disappointed.  

Maybe you need to ask some people who are ethnically different from yourself.

Mrs. Shelf and I sat beside two African American fans last season and stuck up a conversation. One said, "There sure are a lot of white people here." His friend said, "What do you expect, it's hockey!" We all had a great time.

That's what going to a game is all about: Celebrating your team. People can choose to bury their heads in the sand, and many do. But these facts are stubborn: Live sports attendance is dwindling, and the first step in bringing in new fans is appealing to them. Marketing 101.

If others want to focus on the rest of the lyrics, that's their prerogative, and nothing I can say will stop them. But this fact is stubborn too: The section selected is perfect for celebrating a goal (which, after all, is the point):

This one's for North Carolina! c'mon and raise up
Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' hand
Spin it like a helicopter
North Carolina! c'mon and raise up
This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?
Us, us, us; yes sir!

Apparently you are playing the race card...

Making assumptions as to why somebody doesn’t like something, especially when you imply prejudice, is inappropriate. Frankly, it’s just wrong and doesn’t have any place here...or anywhere else.

12 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Apparently you are playing the race card...

Would I be "playing the race card" (hilarious) if I were making the same points about another genre of music, like your example of country? Music of different cultures sounds different, period. Judging the suitability of eight or ten bars of music chosen as a GOAL SONG based on parts of the song that will never be heard in the arena is just silly. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

13 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Making assumptions as to why somebody doesn’t like something, especially when you imply prejudice, is inappropriate. 

And I did that... where, exactly? Before you answer, remember: There's a big difference between comparing cultural/ethnic differences and how they impact one's perceptions, versus what you're (apparently) accusing me of.

Edited by top-shelf-1

16 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The section selected is perfect for celebrating a goal (which, after all, is the point):

You make a good point Top. The portion of the song lyrics that will be played won't be offensive. This wasn't my choice but in the scheme of things it probable won't matter much. When I mentioned the song choice to a 20s something the other day he said, all right. I gave him a curious look but accepted that my choice might not be in the same socially accepted universe as his. 

Score a lot, play it loud, play it often and I might get to love it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cc said:

This will only lead to a place we dont need to be.  

Or to one that, by ignoring it, perpetuates divisions rather than bridging them. And you're right, it's not a race issue. For you it seems to be an obscenity one. But there is zero obscenity in the lyrics we're talking about here. You (and a couple others) chose to extend the conversation to the rest of the song, not me.

Edited by top-shelf-1

46 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I would not vote for a song with explicit language in it.

But (1) this song - THE GOAL SONG, all 15 or 20 seconds of it - has no explicit language in it, and 

(2) the "kids" are already listening to explicit lyrics, every day of the week. Suggesting that the Canes are letting that genie out of the bottle - let alone have some kind of responsibility to put it back in - ignores realities which have existed in the music industry since Tipper Gore's ill-fated attempt to contain them in the 80s.

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I want a re-vote...and I nominate the Oklahoma State fight song:

I prefer the alternate version, "She sexed my tractor kinky."

6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I prefer the alternate version, "She sexed my tractor kinky."

That's the University of Texas fight song...

As far as the argument about the parts of the song not being played, i'll bring up 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' which has been played at every single Hurricanes game i've ever been to.  The rest of that song's lyrics aren't exactly 'Knick Knack Paddywhack'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

But (1) this song - THE GOAL SONG, all 15 or 20 seconds of it - has no explicit language in it, and 

(2) the "kids" are already listening to explicit lyrics, every day of the week. Suggesting that the Canes are letting that genie out of the bottle - let alone have some kind of responsibility to put it back in - ignores realities which have existed in the music industry since Tipper Gore's ill-fated attempt to contain them in the 80s.

And, while I appreciate your opinion, it doesn't change my statement.

GO CANES!

1 hour ago, cc said:

Its does not contain profanity or the racial epithet in the current song.  Try again.

Notice you had to justify it with "the current song" unsung lyrics are unsung lyrics. 

1 hour ago, cc said:

It does not have profanity or a racial epithet unless you consider the female dog reference.

Do you have a swear word count before it tips your morale compass? 

7 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

They had a vote online...on social media.  What age group is most active on these platforms?  Can anybody really be surprised that "Rock Around the Clock" wasn't the vote winner?

No, not surprised that Rock Around the Clock didn't make it.  I am extremely surprised that Jump Jive an' Wail did make it though!

EDIT: OH MAN!  After I posted this, I read the rest of the comments and somehow racial stuff snuck in.  My choice of Jump Jive An' Wail has nothing to do with it!  It is a cool song, if you go for 65 year old songs. 

remember, I'm old

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Pathetic goal song.

Rap is crap.

Pathetic Pig.

We'll watch tv without attending the stadium.

Forslunds opinion has to stay neutral or be fired.. Its political.

Go Hurricanes!!!!!!

5 hours ago, cc said:

Political commentary is not allowed.  Can we remove this?

That's not political commentary, it's provable fact. The org she founded no longer exists, and the same "protection of our kids" that it tried to achieve, failed. By any objective standard, that's "a failed attempt."

And what happened to your promised Iggy 24/7?