The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
wscaniac

Goal Song

3 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

And, while I appreciate your opinion, it doesn't change my statement.

GO CANES!

I appreciate your's too, Goalieman, and appreciate the respectful conversation. Have a killer weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cc said:

Its does not contain profanity or the racial epithet in the current song.  Try again.

Study the culture that produced it. It's not a racial epithet in that community, when used by members of that community--particularly (and mainly thanks to) rap and hip-hop.

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Do you have a swear word count before it tips your morale compass? 

Seriously. I thought Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin settled this a long time ago.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

No, not surprised that Rock Around the Clock didn't make it.  I am extremely surprised that Jump Jive an' Wail did make it though!

EDIT: OH MAN!  After I posted this, I read the rest of the comments and somehow racial stuff snuck in.  My choice of Jump Jive An' Wail has nothing to do with it!  It is a cool song, if you go for 65 year old songs. 

remember, I'm old

The Brian Setzer Orchestra had a hit with it a few years back, too:

24 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

No, not surprised that Rock Around the Clock didn't make it.  I am extremely surprised that Jump Jive an' Wail did make it though!

EDIT: OH MAN!  After I posted this, I read the rest of the comments and somehow racial stuff snuck in.  My choice of Jump Jive An' Wail has nothing to do with it!  It is a cool song, if you go for 65 year old songs.  Nothing to do with Louis Prima, who, BTW, I think can be considered the true father of Rock and Roll, not some of those other guys you hear about.  Love his songs.

remember, I'm old

If that song was cranked up in the arena I could see it actually catching on after a bit :lol:.  I suspect that ultimately, fan satisfaction with a goal song isn't "one directional".  In other words, a song with the right characteristics (mainly energy) could easily grow on fans after hearing it enough times that they subconsciously associate it with success. 

As far as "Raise Up", it's one of the better choices from a list of substandard options, imo.  I don't have a problem with using a clip from a song with objectionable lyrics, as long as nothing objectionable is contained in the clip.  But I understand that different people have different standards, and I wouldn't presume to question a different opinion on that front.  

I still wish they'd use 2 or 3 different goal songs, depending on the situation. 

• Like 1

I like the Brian Setzer version a lot.  Maybe they can at least play it as a bumper...

But it is water over the dam.  I'll have to be cool and get with 18 year old music instead.  :razz:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I like the Brian Setzer version a lot.  Maybe they can at least play it as a bumper...

But it is water over the dam.  I'll have to be cool and get with 18 year old music instead.  :razz:

Dude, if it weren't for my fifteen year old (at the time) I wouldn't even know who Green Day were, much less become a big enough fan to buy a shirt honoring their induction to the Rock Hall. Expanding one's horizons is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I've really warmed up to this idea. 

Maybe they'll do this again next summer, and add songs one per year for the next few. Would help build fan interest over the (hopefully much shorter) summers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe they'll do this again next summer, and add songs one per year for the next few. Would help build fan interest over the (hopefully much shorter) summers.

I think Lake's idea could be pretty cool.  Could even get the original back in there to lather up the crowd, which as you mentioned earlier, was the point to begin with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think Lake's idea could be pretty cool.  Could even get the original back in there to lather up the crowd, which as you mentioned earlier, was the point to begin with.

If you mean "Song 2", I'd really like to see that mixed in as well.  I think the "Whoo Hoo" is perfect for when a meaningful goal is scored.

Anyone with thoughts on a "stick a fork in it" song for late, empty net Cane goals? 

I really don't give a rats backside about a goal song, but I guess if we ever start scoring more goals, it might get annoying. Such problems for the elite. 

The crowd can have alot of clean fun with it despite the unsung lyrics.

After a goal if the whole crowd goes North Carolina! I can see that being alot of fun.

I do like Lake's idea, different songs for different situations. A buddy said Detroit's got different goal songs per player, I dunno about all that but a few in rotation isn't too bad.

Edited by legend-1

7 hours ago, legend-1 said:

After a goal if the whole crowd goes North Carolina! I can see that being alot of fun.

And if they give away rally towels to STMs, to everybody at the first home game, and before critical games, shirts will stay on, but "helicopters" will abound.  

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

If you mean "Song 2", I'd really like to see that mixed in as well.  I think the "Whoo Hoo" is perfect for when a meaningful goal is scored.

Anyone with thoughts on a "stick a fork in it" song for late, empty net Cane goals? 

Song 2 rocks, simple as that.

Boz Scaggs, "It's Over," would be great for empty netters:

Why can't you just get it through your head?

It's over, it's over now.

Yes you heard me clearly now I said,

It's over, it's over now.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Dancing Granny (RIP) doing the helicopter.  Not out of the realm of possibility! 

I've gotten to the point to wait and see what happens.  I like some rap, despite my age.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 11:18 PM, caryhurricanes said:

Yes.  Have not talked to anyone that likes that song.  It is ****.  I hated the old song but come on canes.  Do better.  Don’t promote this gutter trash just because it says Carolina.  Omg lol.  Hey must want people taking shirts off too.    Talk about looking like a trash org.  So disappointed.  

22 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe you need to ask some people who are ethnically different from yourself.

Mrs. Shelf and I sat beside two African American fans last season and stuck up a conversation. One said, "There sure are a lot of white people here." His friend said, "What do you expect, it's hockey!" We all had a great time.

That's what going to a game is all about: Celebrating your team. People can choose to bury their heads in the sand, and many do. But these facts are stubborn: Live sports attendance is dwindling, and the first step in bringing in new fans is appealing to them. Marketing 101.

If others want to focus on the rest of the lyrics, that's their prerogative, and nothing I can say will stop them. But this fact is stubborn too: The section selected is perfect for celebrating a goal (which, after all, is the point):

This one's for North Carolina! c'mon and raise up
Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' hand
Spin it like a helicopter
North Carolina! c'mon and raise up
This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?
Us, us, us; yes sir!

Sorry Top, but I've got to call you out on this.  You used a backhanded reference to possible racism by saying caryhurricanes needed to check with ethnically different people to get his opinion " correct ". Either that you implied in forming his opinion was intellectually incompetent . Any way it was meant was not appropriate for a discussion board.

By the way, the reference to sitting next to African -American fans and having a great time really sounds like it came out of the 60's by the " look, I associate with black folks " crowd as justification for their own feelings of superiority .

My opinions, Just needed to get that off my chest.

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

Sorry Top, but I've got to call you out on this.  You used a backhanded reference to possible racism by saying caryhurricanes needed to check with ethnically different people to get his opinion " correct ". Either that you implied in forming his opinion was intellectually incompetent . Any way it was meant was not appropriate for a discussion board.

By the way, the reference to sitting next to African -American fans and having a great time really sounds like it came out of the 60's by the " look, I associate with black folks " crowd as justification for their own feelings of superiority .

My opinions, Just needed to get that off my chest.

And you're entitled to.

We disagree, of course, but that comprises a bunch of what human interaction is all about. If you want to call the study of different ethnicities and cultures, and encouraging consideration of the points of view of people of those ethnicities/cultures "backhanded racism," that is your prerogative. Personally, I don't see how encouraging people to broaden their horizons can lead to anything but a greater understanding of those different from ourselves, specifically because they encompass those ethnicities/cultures. And if you really think I'd leverage a chance meeting and interaction at a hockey game into anything other than an example of that in action, I guess you're as guilty, in my mind, of jumping to conclusions, as you think I am, in yours.

I don't want to turn this into a political argument, because to me it an ethical one. But if America still aspires to be the "great melting pot" of humankind that we all learned about in school, building bridges of understanding sure seems essential to achieving that.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Dancing Granny (RIP) doing the helicopter.  Not out of the realm of possibility! 

I've gotten to the point to wait and see what happens.  I like some rap, despite my age.

I did rock and roll radio and was an early rap skeptic (talkin' late 70s), but old-school/DefJam acts (Run DMC, Fat Boys, Cypress Hill, The Beasties) changed my mind. Then my kids (in their constant quest to differentiate themselves from each other) went one for rock and one for hip-hop. Which is good, because it got me listening to the next generations of both genres.

Security is going to have to step up their game.   I can see some drunk fat guy taking off his shirt and helicoptering it and making everyone around him (oh the poor children) very irritated.  Just kidding.   I think this song is going to be fun once the fans start getting into it.   As far as Dundon and the committee I for one like the way they are doing things a bit outside the box.  The other way has not worked for years so why not shake things up a bit.   And as a side note FYI.....I am old enough that I am on Medicaire  and still think this song will do quite nicely.   I used to question why they played Highway to Hell during warm ups.   That probably did not set well with persons of high moral character.  God I can't wait for the season to start. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 8:56 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe you need to ask some people who are ethnically different from yourself.

Mrs. Shelf and I sat beside two African American fans last season and stuck up a conversation. One said, "There sure are a lot of white people here." His friend said, "What do you expect, it's hockey!" We all had a great time.

I don’t like the N word   And that makes me somehow ignorant of other people.  That makes no sense.  Many people find it offensive. 

I think you missed my point entirely and also just saw another opportunity to try and attack someone. 

Some People seem to respect your opinion here and I appreciate your passion for the hurricanes but I doubt I am the only one that passes over your posts often due to your  “I’m better than everyone “  delivery.   I know you are a “last word “ kind of guy I won’t respond again . 

If we score a lot of goals who knows.  Maybe it makes me forget the rest of the song.  That would be totally cool.  

IThat is what I am focused on now !?

• Like 1