The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
wscaniac

Goal Song

Wow....this thread turned in an interesting direction....I have a proposal.  Can we trade Faulk for a new goal song? ?

In general, I’ve had an issue with the music at Canes hockey games.  There are times when I felt like I was at a prom.  I would prefer some more energetic and heavy rock music.  I would suggest:

1.  Coming onto the ice before the game and/or after period end.....Warriors Call (Volbeat)

2.  For a fight or scrum....When Worlds Collide (Powerman 5000)

3.  Goal song....Thunderstruck (AC/DC).  I do like the idea someone said earlier about having multiple goal songs.

I've learned I'm more tolerant of different genres and are the better for it.  I wanted a goal song that could offer some crowd ingenuity and evolve into something we can all make work.  I think there is potential here, if you can accept it's the song.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 8:59 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

And you're entitled to.

We disagree, of course, but that comprises a bunch of what human interaction is all about. If you want to call the study of different ethnicities and cultures, and encouraging consideration of the points of view of people of those ethnicities/cultures "backhanded racism," that is your prerogative. Personally, I don't see how encouraging people to broaden their horizons can lead to anything but a greater understanding of those different from ourselves, specifically because they encompass those ethnicities/cultures. And if you really think I'd leverage a chance meeting and interaction at a hockey game into anything other than an example of that in action, I guess you're as guilty, in my mind, of jumping to conclusions, as you think I am, in yours.

I don't want to turn this into a political argument, because to me it an ethical one. But if America still aspires to be the "great melting pot" of humankind that we all learned about in school, building bridges of understanding sure seems essential to achieving that.

It read like you were telling caryhurricanes to conform to pc by asking people with different ethnicity as to what his feelings should be, there by insinuating "racism" on his part. You didn't say study, you said check. I see that as asking for approval.

As for my jumping to conclusions, I've seen and heard those statements about talking to, hanging out , or friends with African -Americans too many times not to be suspicious of the gratuitous need to include the Africa-American part to make your statement more valid. 

Edited by winger52

2 hours ago, winger52 said:

I see that as asking for approval.

As for my jumping to conclusions, I've seen and heard those statements about talking to, hanging out , or friends with African -Americans too many times not to be suspicious of the gratuitous need to include the Africa-American part to make your statement more valid. 

It's not asking for their approval, it's asking for their opinion of the song. cary said he doesn't "know anyone" who likes the song. The album it came from was certified Gold and the song peaked at 25 on the Billboard charts, thanks largely to airplay on urban format radio. So clearly, plenty of people like it.

I personally despise much of what is today passing for "country" music. Give me Willie and Merle and Loretta and Patsy and the incomparable Marty Robbins (which, okay, is technically Western). But I know a lot of people who love today's iteration, and though they haven't sold me, I ask them what they like and can see their point of view.

I understand your second point, but I didn't do it for that reason, which I agree occurs far too often and insidiously. I just thought sharing an experience around hockey with people I'd never met was appropriate in the context of the subject, whereas one about my A-A family members, one of whom is my namesake, would totally come off as the very thing you're referencing.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

On 8/24/2018 at 2:11 PM, wxray1 said:

No, not surprised that Rock Around the Clock didn't make it.  I am extremely surprised that Jump Jive an' Wail did make it though!

EDIT: OH MAN!  After I posted this, I read the rest of the comments and somehow racial stuff snuck in.  My choice of Jump Jive An' Wail has nothing to do with it!  It is a cool song, if you go for 65 year old songs. 

remember, I'm old

On 8/24/2018 at 4:16 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

The Brian Setzer Orchestra had a hit with it a few years back, too:

Jump Blues and Swing are too radical for the PNC Arena faithful...  Though I do remember years ago they used to play a bit of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy’s “You Know You Wrong!” whenever the ref made a questionable call against the Canes.  

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 11:01 AM, raleighcaniac said:

If the song that everyone will come to appreciate is being played 5-6 times a game and the Canes are only a 500 team it will mean our Goaltending situation is grim beyond belief. FYI each team has their own goal scoring routine and won’t change. Visit a few rinks and you’ll agree. 

Yeah, you totally missed the point.. a goal song being played 5-6 times at each game is an entirely mixed blessing, depending which stadium the team is at.  

On 8/25/2018 at 11:19 PM, JMURaptor said:

Wow....this thread turned in an interesting direction....I have a proposal.  Can we trade Faulk for a new goal song? ?

In general, I’ve had an issue with the music at Canes hockey games.  There are times when I felt like I was at a prom.  I would prefer some more energetic and heavy rock music.  I would suggest:

1.  Coming onto the ice before the game and/or after period end.....Warriors Call (Volbeat)

2.  For a fight or scrum....When Worlds Collide (Powerman 5000)

3.  Goal song....Thunderstruck (AC/DC).  I do like the idea someone said earlier about having multiple goal songs.

Not a big fan of rap or hip-hop.  I just don't think the game of hockey is suited for it.  I think it's more of a hard rock-type game.  That being said, along with the theme of hurricanes, storms, etc. that AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" is THE obvious no-brainer for a goal song....."You've been....THUNDERSTRUCK!" followed by Angus & Malcolm's hard guitar riffs.  Additionally, I also think Metallica's "So What?" (cleaned up a bit) is perfect for if/when an opposing team scores.  

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

If the Canes win the cup I'll  take my shirt off and twirl it like a helicopter. It's ok, I'm usually layered. Please drop the puck.

I'll settle for layered at any hockey game. It's awesome.

• Like 1