The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

We just got fleeced.  Now this off season has been terrible.  What the hell is this?  This is bad guys and gals.  VERY BAD.  That's it.  I have had it with this *edit*.  There is no way this teams forward group is going to be competitive.   No way.  I'm done with this *edit* show..  This is a nightmare guys.

Edited by bluedevil58

Have to admit i'm a little underwhelmed with this one.  The return isn't great... for no more than that, i would just as soon have used Skinner in an effort to make the playoffs this season and lose him for nothing.  Or trade him at the deadline, at which time i'd have to believe they could have gotten just as much after having the added benefit of his goal-scoring prowess between now and then.  But what's done is done.  I don't dislike the Sabres quite as much now as i did before.

Darn.  Named our new chihuahua "Skinner" when we got him about seven years ago because of their similar diminutive physical nature.  Guess we can call him "Pu" now??  Not sure if my family can get the grasp of "Svechnikov" just yet...

Yeah... and we've got a cat named "Murphy" too.  At least one of them was worthy of keeping.

2 hours ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

My gut tells me this is an indication Jeff had no intention of entertaining an extension, here or elsewhere, and he's fully intent on testing the UFA waters next summer. That'd make him a pure one-year rental. Still worth at least a little something, but far from full value.

Better to get something than nothing I suppose (see Isles/Tavares), but hard not to be disappointed with the return. Puts more pressure on trading Faulk for at least a pseudo-replacement.

After the terrible lines he’s been buried on the past few years and our gaslighting him in the media why would he have wanted to stay here? You know it’s pretty effin’ bad if you agree to waive your no trade to go to Buffalo.

Edited by caneswincup
Grammar
  • Like 4

Everyone still believe I’m totally off base about new ownership? He is making things as unappealing as possible, to help persuade the league to move the team to Houston sooner rather than later. 

Im not sure what everyone expected.

he wasn’t re-signing and, according to DW, this was the best return.

he was an egnima on defense and was had a large minus rating dispite his goal scoring.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im not sure what everyone expected.

he wasn’t re-signing and, according to DW, this was the best return.

he was an egnima on defense and was had a large minus rating dispite his goal scoring.

I agree with the above.. time to change the culture and move forward....If he was worth more, teams would have offered more.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

I agree with the above.. time to change the culture and move forward....If he was worth more, teams would have offered more.....

Hey guys.  Our team can't score goals, let's go ahead and trade our only goal scorer to turn our culture into a winning culture.  

My initial reaction to this trade is that I am not happy with it.  Should’ve been a first, third and the prospect.

And now the pressure is on to being in a scoring center for any Faulk trade, which just handcuffed us!

When someone takes a jug of milk out of the fridge and notices it is sour, they don't put it back in again and say, "Oh, this is bad.  Maybe it'll be better tomorrow"

This is true from both sides of this deal.  Skinner had soured on his situation here and the organization had soured on his lack of enthusiasm on an extension.  Time to toss the milk and try again.  Granted, I've bought milk that was still within the date and not been good, but I'm OK with this.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

My initial reaction to this trade is that I am not happy with it.  Should’ve been a first, third and the prospect.

And now the pressure is on to being in a scoring center for any Faulk trade, which just handcuffed us!

As bad as Buffalo has been lately, there was essentially ZERO chance they would be trading a potential lottery pick. Not thrilled with the return either, but I had no illusions the Canes were going to get a 1st from any team that wasn't already a proven contender.

24 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Skinner was/is a one-dimensional player, despite multi-year efforts to improve his game. Luke's story pretty well sums it up. He acknowledges that "f Skinner needed a change of scenery, there's no question it's partly the scenery's fault too." For some reason, Skinner got crossways with RF and BP. What started as a good fit, ended up a bad fit.

After all the trade talk this summer, it would have been difficult for Skinner to move forward here without an "all is forgiven" from HCRB and I just don't think that either RB or the organization were content with Skinner's one-dimensional style of play. Of course, we're not privy to what all that went on behind the scenes.

Not happy about the meager return, but I certainly hope that if there was a better offer on the table we would have taken it.      

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

So, yea the return sucks but Skinner's been denying trades. Buffalo being so close to his hometown was likely one of the only places he'd consider. However I thought surely because of where they've been in the standings he would deny that too.

Personally, I think come trade deadline he'd of let himself be traded to a contender and that would have opened our options but dealing Skinner at the deadline while we're in the hunt would go over like a fart in church. 

Crappy situation. Meh return.

Edited by legend-1

I don’t like the return but....

We have Zykov, Svech, Necas, Ferland, and Martinook to replace Skinner, Ryan, Lindholm, and Nordy’s scoring.   

Subtracting Skinner and Hanifin while adding de Haan, Ferland, and Svech actually makes us sounder defensively while adding offense.

Skinner didn’t like it here anymore, didn’t fit with our current personnel, and I bet wasn’t going to get a bunch of playing time.

Skinner wasn’t signing an extension with the new team so, teams weren’t given up big assets for a rental. Everyone potentially holds the number 1 OA pick until playing starts. 

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

So we give up our 25-37goal a year scorer for absolutely nothing!   And goal scoring is where we are hurting?  Unless this turns out to be some kind of 3 way where we get some 30goal guy tomorrow than this year is done before it started.  I've lost all faith in the two id###S calling the shots right now. No goal tending, no forward group????   What a joke Dundon, you better make up for this fast dude. You just lost a third of your goal scoring and you needed to add to it, not deplete it to Aho only.  Arggggghhhhhh, this is in no way good at this moment for the Hurricanes.  A fan favorite too?? at a time when you can't get butts in the seats?!I don't want to hear garbage about a prospect or picks, thats worth nothing to a team thats fading from its fan base with a 9yr drought. 

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t like the return but....

We have Zykov, Svech, Necas, Ferland, and Martinook to replace Skinner, Ryan, Lindholm, and Nordy’s scoring.   

Subtracting Skinner and Hanifin while adding de Haan, Ferland, and Svech actually makes us sounder defensively while adding offense.

Skinner didn’t like it here anymore, didn’t fit with our current personnel, and I bet wasn’t going to get a bunch of playing time.

Skinner wasn’t signing an extension with the new team so, teams weren’t given up big assets for a rental. Everyone potentially holds the number 1 OA pick until playing starts. 

Not one of those guys is on pace for a 30goal year in the NHL.  We needed them to add to Skinners totals and help us out.  We got hosed, this team stinks. Imagine the same team with 25-30 less goals next year.  thats what ya got right now. 

Edited by Danimal38
  • Like 1