The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

8 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah, I wanted for them to elaborate on how Faulk is different. I don't see a lot of differences. Skinner is a forward whose primary purpose was to score goals. He dipped in production of overall points and had a slipping season on his defensive side although he was number 2 in the NHL in take away's. Faulk is a defensive man whose main purpose is to play defense and who has the ability to score goals and lead the power play.. He did neither last year. From my perspective Faulk was the main player that needed to be traded out of the two of them. This stat is also interesting. 

Yep, that's it to me.  I'm still one of those relics who think a defenseman should play defense first.  Skinner and Faulk are both questionable (or at least inconsistent) defensively and are both on the ice for a ton of goals going the other way.  Difference is that Faulk's job title is defense.  I still wouldn't mind seeing a 'Faulk at forward' experiment, particularly being as we're full up on RHD at this point and just traded away one of our best scorers.  I do hope we don't have to put up with another year of a defensive sieve out there eating up major minutes while real defensemen sit on the bench or in the pressbox.

Edited by realmdrakkar
corrected typo
  • Like 2

Faulk should be the number 7 D man at this point. Only use him as an extra and possibly on the powerplay if he can get his scoring back. Instead of a DH we have a DPP. Expensive proposition but probably the best fit at this point.

Edited by slapshot02

28 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It would of been nice if they had asked a followup on this. Hear Dundon's explanation in full. I think what the reference is to what Waddell has said that Faulk is not going into a FA year so the inference is the trade or lose scenario isn't in play at the moment.  Waddell also said or at least indicated Faulk was never in the need to trade conversation but if someone makes a deal they can't refuse anyone (except the chosen few) could be traded.

Dundon also indicated that the team could be done trading for the moment and this could be the team we see in training camp. I'm not sure I buy that. It sounds like a management statement covering the bases in case another trade can't be made. That would be the smart thing to say even if you are looking at other moves.

Anyway for whatever reason Skinner is gone and it looks like his absence should lead to an exciting and competitive training camp.

That makes sense although they said something close to mirroring Skinner.   Waddell also said or at least indicated Faulk was never in the need to trade conversation but if someone makes a deal they can't refuse anyone (except the chosen few) could be traded. On Skinner: "We aren't going to trade Skinner just for the sake of a trade"

21 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

That makes sense although they said something close to mirroring Skinner.   Waddell also said or at least indicated Faulk was never in the need to trade conversation but if someone makes a deal they can't refuse anyone (except the chosen few) could be traded. On Skinner: "We aren't going to trade Skinner just for the sake of a trade"

For sure. I'm well aware of GM/owner speak. 

41 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

That makes sense although they said something close to mirroring Skinner.   Waddell also said or at least indicated Faulk was never in the need to trade conversation but if someone makes a deal they can't refuse anyone (except the chosen few Aho) could be traded. On Skinner: "We aren't going to trade Skinner just for the sake of a trade"

FTFY.  :)

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

For sure. I'm well aware of GM/owner speak. 

I noticed in this last interview he is finally getting into the swing of guarded talk.  Too bad.  The wide open talk was fun while it lasted.

Very disappointed to hear that they may not still be actively shopping Faulk.. Hopefully they are, and the most recent rhetoric is just GM speech.   But if they've already talked to the 15 teams on Faulk's trade list and there's nothing there (either due to lack of interest, insufficient return, or cap issues), then I could see why they'd say they're done.  The way they talk about moving Faulk being different from moving Skinner is bringing me to the belief that moving Skinner was probably as much "Tavares fear" as culture change (which I still believe was a big part of it).   

Hate to see Skinner go, but hats off to him in the way he's handled it.  Very classy in every interview I've heard so far.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Because... he was the top goal scorer in the AHL last season? with a shooting percentage that hovered at or near an unheard-of 30 percent all year? 

I'm not disagreeing that the Canes have had more than their share of flop prospects. But the two you've singled out here are already putting up numbers that the Boychuks and Dalpes never did. 

Sure they will both be good one day, but we all know that this needs to be our year. There’s no time left to wait for prospects to develop, we get rid of NHL veteran who scored  25 to 35 goals and Hope our prospects are ready this year to score 20plus each.That’s a huge gamble for a guy(TD) who promised we were going to win this year and make the playoffs.  Our top six looks worse now than It did last year.  I know we are all banking on Svech and Aho to score 40 goals each. Sure that would be beautiful but  but a gamble to rely on    I guess this whole season is a gamble,  Will darling be the worst goaltender in the NHL again? Will the svech be rookie of the year with 70 points Or score 25 points and we will give him a break because he’s only 18? Will Aho bust out and score 80 points or slump for 50? Will Rask continue to suck like he has the last two years or suddenly be good? There was always one thing for sure, skinner would get us 25 to 35 goals and Jordan staal Will score between 40 and 50 points.  At least our blue line looks better 

Edited by Danimal38

Pu might be a bit more than just a "throw in".  Just turned 20yo, 6'2" center and here's what a Sabres fan said about him:

"All Poo jokes aside, I really think he'll be part of the Canes org for a long time. He's smart and fast. Even if his scoring doesn't translate, he can skate and take faceoffs. At worst you've got your 3rd line center for the next 7 years. I bet he can play above his position at times which is what you want for middle six forwards."

Hey, we can hope, right?  It will be interesting to see how he does in Charlotte this season.

Edited by LakeLivin

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Pu might be a bit more than just a "throw in".  Just turned 20yo, 6'2" center and here's what a Sabres fan said about him:

"All Poo jokes aside, I really think he'll be part of the Canes org for a long time. He's smart and fast. Even if his scoring doesn't translate, he can skate and take faceoffs. At worst you've got your 3rd line center for the next 7 years. I bet he can play above his position at times which is what you want for middle six forwards."

Hey, we can hope, right?

OHLer    going to be an AHLer  for some years . maybe after  some seasons with the checkers  he might be on the 4th or 3rd line  for the canes  or  traded to another team for another asset or  future pick .     In the end   the Canes lost out on a  1st round pick   , or a top 6 player .   The fans in Buffalo are  going to love Skinner .    

Yea they’ll love skinner until he wont pass to Eichel and both of those guys lackadaisically get back.  

Pu has a very similar report to Geekie.   

37 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

OHLer    going to be an AHLer  for some years . maybe after  some seasons with the checkers  he might be on the 4th or 3rd line  for the canes  or  traded to another team for another asset or  future pick .     In the end   the Canes lost out on a  1st round pick   , or a top 6 player .   The fans in Buffalo are  going to love Skinner .    

Maybe I missed where someone said they think Pu is going to replace Skinner, lol?  Or that the Canes won that trade?  The likely reasons the Canes traded Skinner, and the reasons behind a less than ideal return have been pretty thoroughly discussed.  I won't repeat them here, you're welcome to read back through the last several pages if you want a refresher. 

For the record, I also think the Sabres fans will love Skinner and that he'll have a successful season in Buffalo.  But if he "Tavareses" them and they miss the playoffs, Buffalo didn't win this trade, either.  Not to say that will make us winners on it, our dynamics are different from theirs.  Only time will tell if the Canes committee made an ok move or a mistake.  And it will have to do with some intangibles in addition to the picks/ players involved in the deal.      

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Maybe I missed where someone said they think Pu is going to replace Skinner, lol?  Or that the Canes won that trade?  The likely reasons the Canes traded Skinner, and the reasons behind a less than ideal return have been pretty thoroughly discussed.  I won't repeat them here, you're welcome to read back through the last several pages if you want a refresher. 

For the record, I also think the Sabres fans will love Skinner and that he'll have a successful season in Buffalo.  But if he "Tavareses" them and they miss the playoffs, Buffalo didn't win this trade, either.  Not to say that will make us winners on it, our dynamics are different from theirs.  Only time will tell if the Canes committee made an ok move or a mistake.  And it will have to do with some intangibles, not just the picks/ players involved in the deal.      

The one thing I disagree with that I keep seeing in the press is that the Committee was afraid Skins would of pulled a Tavares at the end of the season. Well if you wanted to keep him here there should of been some preliminary discussions on a contract extension. There were NADA according to Skins agent,so the committee really did not want to keep him. In their minds they weren't going to pay increased dollars for a "one dimensional" player.

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I agree with all of this. Well stated, Kyrule.

I'll just add that while the org wrongly tolerated Skinner's lack of D for far too long before BP called it out, so too did it fail in assuring that there was an immediate physical response anytime an elite player was targeted, be it Skinner or Staal or... uh... well, that about covers the elite players this org has had in the past 10 years. 

If/when Skinner (or Eichel) is targeted in Buffalo - or an elite player anywhere else in the league is - the guilty player/team knows an appropriate response is coming, as surely as every team in the league has known for a long time it wouldn't be happening here. As far as I'm concerned, everybody responsible for setting the team's tone - from JR to RF to Maurice to Muller, and yes, even our sacred cow, Brindy, now the last man standing of that old guard - bears some responsibility for the org's nickname in other markets: The Candy Canes.

It's only fitting that Roddy be the guy charged with growing this team some testicles, and I'm hoping - for the sake of the futures of the org's next crop of elite players who will be targeted (Aho, TT, Necas) - that he succeeds, starting in camp, and from puck drop on October 5 forward.

Completely agree, and well said. Not enough talent/investment by management, and the lack of sticking up for teammates like.......pretty much every other team in the league does, hurt the team and the players on it. This has been a source of frustration and embarrassment for a long time. It HAS to change. 

Ironic that Skinner was moved to facilitate that change when he was essentially a victim of our management’s ineptitude and our “oh well” culture on the ice for years. It wasn’t Skinner’s fault, it was everyone’s fault like you said. It is a stink that needs to be scrubbed clean...permanently.

It is funny you used the “Candy Canes” reference, because I’ve recently used that numerous times when discussing (not here) what we need/have to move on from.

It is also REALLY funny you talked about this team growing a pair of testicles.

I was going to post that maybe this organization is finally growing a pair, with Brind’amour hanging on the left, and Dundon hanging on the right.

If they pull it off, it will be a huge culture change and the product on the ice will be much more entertaining, and it will be a team we can be proud of.

If they don’t and we get more of the same......I don’t even want to think about it.

As a final note (sorry for the long post), I also agree with those that are saying that talking about a culture change is all well and good, but you can’t rely solely on youth. Dundon is going to have to spend. You can’t say we want to win now and then field the youngest team in the NHL, particularly at the skill positions. Faulk+ needs to be moved for a forward that can score and  fits more in line with Dundon’s/Brind’amour’s vision. Also, despite Dundon’s comments about free agents he is going to have to be aggressive in the future if/when it is needed. If Darling and Mrazek falter, then TD needs to do everything in his power to bring a #1 goalie here next offseason, even if that means an overpayment. Yes Dundon, an overpayment is sometimes needed when there is a glaring need. There were slim pickings this year, but better options may be available next year if it comes to that. This applies to all positions as well, not just goalies.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

The one thing I disagree with that I keep seeing in the press is that the Committee was afraid Skins would of pulled a Tavares at the end of the season. Well if you wanted to keep him here there should of been some preliminary discussions on a contract extension. There were NADA according to Skins agent,so the committee really did not want to keep him. In their minds they weren't going to pay increased dollars for a "one dimensional" player.

I agree with you there, including the part about the Canes obviously not being interested in re-signing Skinner.  Instead of "Skinner pulls a Tavares", a more appropriate term would have been "they get Tavaresed".  I think the risk, especially for the Canes, wasn't Skinner nixing a deadline deal, it would have been the Canes being in the hunt to the extent that, from a practical perspective they couldn't justify (to the team and the fan base) trading him at the deadline, in which case you would lose him for no return (since as you point out they weren't interested in re-signing him).  Now, if he helped us make the playoffs I could see that as still being worthwhile, given our drought and what he returned   But obviously either the committee's calculus deemed that a risk not worth taking, or they were so concerned about the intangibles we've been discussing that they wanted him gone in order to expedite the "culture shift" they want to bring about.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Guess we'll see but I doubt Skins has an issue passing to a guy who won't cough up the puck.

Betting Skinner can't score 25 goals playing with Eichel is just like standing in front of a train and expecting good results.  Sheesh.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

That’s a huge gamble for a guy(TD) who promised we were going to win this year and make the playoffs.

Do you have a source for this? Because I have no memory of him doing so... then again, my @$$ is old.

48 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Watch him score 40 g over there.  Then we all rage out.  Still a foolish trade.  Not really my opinion.  Because it's a fact.

In your world

42 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Watch him score 40 g over there.  Then we all rage out.  Still a foolish trade.  Not really my opinion.  Because it's a fact.

Dude, like I said the day the move was made, thanks for everything Jeff, but now you're a Slug and so we must hate you.

Your life will be a lot happier if you stop seeing what the guys who move on from Raleigh do as good or bad. It's not like you have any control over it. If Skinner reaches heights in Buffalo that he never did here, that's awesome. If not, or if the Canes become a more focused org, or whatever, half the fun is watching it all happen.

Ask any Cubs fan. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude, like I said the day the move was made, thanks for everything Jeff, but now you're a Slug and so we must hate you.

Your life will be a lot happier if you stop seeing what the guys who move on from Raleigh do as good or bad. It's not like you have any control over it. If Skinner reaches heights in Buffalo that he never did here, that's awesome. If not, or if the Canes become a more focused org, or whatever, half the fun is watching it all happen.

Ask any Cubs fan. 

I agree.  This one just really stings.  Will get over it in time.  I just really liked how the off season was going until this happened.  If this means we will have 4 lines that actually finish their checks for once then I will be happy.

• Like 1

The winds of change -sometimes have to level things- can anyone recall a “partial” rebuild ever working? Let’s compare the Hurricanes to a house renovation- the “bones” have to be there or you level the place and rebuild on the land- starting with the foundation-How many years have we been hearing the Canes are in a rebuild mode... we weren’t rebuilding a darn thing what we were doing was the wishing and hoping and begging for the team to be better to the point as fans that we expected to lose ??‍♀️ How many of us attended games where we entered the arena knowing it would be full of opposing fans and sat quietly watching - how many dreaded going on the power play? How many left the arena early so as not to be harassed going to your car? While I’m going to miss Skinner and wardo and even chuck - things had to change -everything had to change -I’m sick of losing and the team needs to know that while they have loyal fans...they are getting paid to win-and the expectation from the fans this season should reflect that- part of this culture is our fault as well- to those who have moved on - Good Luck-for those coming in- It’s a new day- if your lucky enough to win a spot it will be because you earned it no more “gifts” or “ free passes” all in or you’re out- I’m good with that!

GO CANES

• Like 4