The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Canes just got Pu'ed  on .   THANK FOR NOTHING  WADDELL AND  DUNDON  !!!!

Whew...I was getting worried there...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danimal38 said:

So we give up our 25-37goal a year scorer for absolutely nothing!   And goal scoring is where we are hurting?  Unless this turns out to be some kind of 3 way where we get some 30goal guy tomorrow than this year is done before it started.  I've lost all faith in the two id###S calling the shots right now. No goal tending, no forward group????   What a joke Dundon, you better make up for this fast dude. You just lost a third of your goal scoring and you needed to add to it, not deplete it to Aho only.  Arggggghhhhhh, this is in no way good at this moment for the Hurricanes.  A fan favorite too?? at a time when you can't get butts in the seats?!I don't want to hear garbage about a prospect or picks, thats worth nothing to a team thats fading from its fan base with a 9yr drought. 

I’d rather win 2-1 then lose 4-3 because Skinner can’t play with teammates or defense

• Like 2

Not one of those guys is on pace for a 30goal year in the NHL.  We needed them to add to Skinners totals and help us out.  We got hosed, this team stinks. Imagine the same team with 25-30 less goals next year.  thats what ya got right now. 

Svech and Zykov should have 40 goals together at a minimum.  Not the same team at all.  

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

Svech and Zykov should have 40 goals together at a minimum.  Not the same team at all.  

No way,  you have no idea how many goals two unproven guys will score.  and again, we needed them to add to our goal scoring totals, not make up for the loss of Skinner's. He had 37goals two years ago.  On a team with zero confidence this year he scored 24 goals on the third line.  Slice it anyway that makes you feel better but this is a team of prospects and young guys we hope will be good next year.  That never ever works out, especially for the Canes.  I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this is a set up for us sucking so bad that Dundon gets to move us sooner.(Major League style)   I have a small bit of faith that a couple big moves involving these draft picks and prospects might get us an exciting return in the next few days.  Otherwise we will be in last place this year. . 

Sure hope our new guys who came here with fire under their *edit* and ready to put on a show aren't reading this.  Yeah, I liked Jeff.  But it wasn't like In Skinner We Trust.  I'm looking forward to seeing our young blood who WANT to be here show us what they've got.  

If nothing?  Then so be it and the ticket sales will show.  If they turn it on?  Then Take Warning.  I'm usually Chicken Little.  But not now.  I'm ready for October.

• Like 2

No way,  you have no idea how many goals two unproven guys will score.  and again, we needed them to add to our goal scoring totals, not make up for the loss of Skinner's. He had 37goals two years ago.  On a team with zero confidence this year he scored 24 goals on the third line.  Slice it anyway that makes you feel better but this is a team of prospects and young guys we hope will be good next year.  That never ever works out, especially for the Canes.  I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this is a set up for us sucking so bad that Dundon gets to move us sooner.(Major League style)   I have a small bit of faith that a couple big moves involving these draft picks and prospects might get us an exciting return in the next few days.  Otherwise we will be in last place this year. . 

Skinner wasn’t going to put up 25 goals this season. At best he is on the 2nd line with Staal with 65% defensive zone starts. Which means he would start on the bench until the play moved towards the O zone. 

Danimal,

Why are you choosing to use the good years for Skinner stats while neglecting the fact that he's had several mediocre to bad years coupled in between those?

Other than the phenomenal Calder year and two seasons ago, there just hasn't been enough consistency to warrant us going "wow, let's keep him at all costs."  Maybe it's the repeated concussions...maybe it's the fact that he and Faulk seem to have the same lack of d-zone presence...I don't know.  

Ultimately, though, he was expendable...I wish we'd gotten more, but at least we got something that might still yield future results...because, with him, I'm just not seeing it.

• Like 1

Add me to the Disappointed in Return list.  Maybe Pu will turn out to be a sneaky good pickup; his TheHockeyNews scouting report isn't all bad..

Scouting Report

Assets:
Is a sound playmaker with good two-way instincts and the versatility to play both center and wing. Is an asset on both special teams and can be used in all game situations.

Flaws:

While he has a fairly projectable frame (6-2), he needs to add more bulk and become significantly stronger in order to maximize scoring production at the highest level.
Career Potential:
Versatile two-way forward with upside.
Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

This trade tells us a few things: we did not want Jeff Skinner back in the room; 30 other teams didn't value him as much as fans and media; and Jeff didn't want to be here (he waived his NTC to go to one of the few teams that have been worse than us).  The combination of those three things makes me think that we are better off starting the season without him.

Pu's numbers in Juniors have been good.  We will have to see what he can do in the A.  

• Like 3

Just my opinion but as much as I’ve enjoyed watching Skinner score goals over the years he didn’t help the team win enough to make a difference.  What good is a guy who scores 20 but is directly responsible for giving up 40 because he either misses his defensive assignments or decides to cherry pick at the blue line in hopes of getting a breakaway chance?  Brind’Amour worked with the forwards and likely butted heads with Skinner over his two way work ethic and with Rod taking over as head coach Skinner likely didn’t want anything to do with this team next year or in the future.  

Like most, I’m underwhelmed by the return but the rest of the league no doubt know  Skinner’s flaws and maybe this really was the best deal out there. Maybe Buffalo flips him at the deadline and maybe he nets a first round pick then. But maybe he doesn’t and Buffalo either sells low af the deadline or loses him for nothing next year and ends up regretting the trade. Buffalo isn’t making the playoffs next year and I don’t understand why anyone would think Skinner helps them get there when he never did that in Carolina. I just don’t think anyone really knows who won this trade today; time will tell. 

Again, I’d hoped for more, like everyone else but I’m a fan and fans always overvalue their teams’ players. ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danimal38 said:

Danimal, I'm hoping as well that these picks/prospect are to be part of a bigger trade soon. I will miss seeing Skinner. His goals were exciting and his youthful exuberance after scoring was always fun to watch. While he was a goal scorer, he also cost us goals on defense.

But to your point . . . . yes, we have no idea how many goals Svech and Zykov (and Necas, for that matter) will score next year. But you also have no idea how many goals Skinner will score next year. Is it 37 or 24? Or will it be 20 (11-12) or 18 (14-15)?

My first reaction was horror. How could we get so little in return? But Michael Smith reports that "President and General Manager Don Waddell had varying degrees of discussions with every team in the league over the summer, and Buffalo offered the most attractive package, which included Pu, another talented prospect to add the Canes' burgeoning collection." If that's true—if Buffalo offered us the most—then it was either get what we can now, or wait and take a big chance on getting nothing when Skinner walks next year.

It looks like we were between the proverbial rock and hard place. There was just no good outcome here, given the year left on Skinner's contract, his NTC, next year's renewals with Aho and TT, and the fact that Skinner was no longer a good fit for us. 

Edited by spyglass88

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Please throw these three new "ASSETS" in with Faulk to get something respectable.

Yep Im hoping we are able to get one or two of the arbitration players that a team doesn’t want to lose for nothing. 

This trade tells me that Dundon, Waddell, and probably Rod did not value Skinner any more than Francis and Peters did. Skinner scored more goals in the NHL as an 18 year old than Pu scored in juniors two years removed from his draft year. And for a team that needs to win now, the draft picks we got don’t project to help us, if they ever do, for 3-5 years. It seems obvious to me the brain trust did not want Skinner in the locker room from day one of practice. It will be interesting to see how he pans out in Buffalo.

I hope this is not a hint at the return we might see for Faulk.

This could really come back to bite them next season.  Remember they depend on me being there. Chances are my heart won't really be there, which in turn they play that way.  Three losses in the offseason is a lot to bare at once. 

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

We just got fleeced.  Now this off season has been terrible.  What the hell is this?  This is bad guys and gals.  VERY BAD.  That's it.  I have had it with this *edit*.  There is no way this teams forward group is going to be competitive.   No way.  I'm done with this *edit* show..  This is a nightmare guys.

How predictable you are

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

This team losing a 30 goal scorer is not a step forward  . IT'S A STEP BACKWARDS !  

Don’t agree. With questionable goal tending and bunch of rookies, you need 5 people playing defense.

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

Everyone still believe I’m totally off base about new ownership? He is making things as unappealing as possible, to help persuade the league to move the team to Houston sooner rather than later. 

Yes you don’t know crap about the inside of this org anymore than I do

• Like 1

Now all y’all whine donkeys can move to Buffalo with skinner. Perfect place for ya

All of this happening almost at most is a lot to take in.  Especially as the fan who felt the most about all three of these people we lost.  Very emotional.