The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Danimal,

Why are you choosing to use the good years for Skinner stats while neglecting the fact that he's had several mediocre to bad years coupled in between those?

THIS.

I don't know what the new guys will do either.  And I don't know what Skinner will do.  Will he exercise his new dimension?  Or be one dimensional?   Dunno.

The well was poisoned, and it started with JR and the No Trade/Movement nonsense.  We had to drink a little poison before finally drilling the new well.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

They said they wanted to change the culture, no more cheating, you can’t fool RB. They said we needed to be tougher to play against.

To the surprise of no one, I am fine with the trade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Add me to the Disappointed in Return list.  Maybe Pu will turn out to be a sneaky good pickup; his TheHockeyNews scouting report isn't all bad..

Scouting Report

Assets:
Is a sound playmaker with good two-way instincts and the versatility to play both center and wing. Is an asset on both special teams and can be used in all game situations.

Flaws:

While he has a fairly projectable frame (6-2), he needs to add more bulk and become significantly stronger in order to maximize scoring production at the highest level.
Career Potential:
Versatile two-way forward with upside.

A 20 year old who couldn’t make his way out of the juniors onto the roster of one of, if not the worst, teams in the league doesn’t scream talent to me.

Just now, caneswincup said:

Last I checked, you need guys who score goals and/or goalies that don’t leak like a sieve. We don’t have either at the moment.

Skinner wasn’t going to put up 25 goals next season.  We have two guys who can do that next season with Svech and Zykov 

1 hour ago, Californiahurricane said:

Just my opinion but as much as I’ve enjoyed watching Skinner score goals over the years he didn’t help the team win enough to make a difference.  What good is a guy who scores 20 but is directly responsible for giving up 40 because he either misses his defensive assignments or decides to cherry pick at the blue line in hopes of getting a breakaway chance?  Brind’Amour worked with the forwards and likely butted heads with Skinner over his two way work ethic and with Rod taking over as head coach Skinner likely didn’t want anything to do with this team next year or in the future.  

Like most, I’m underwhelmed by the return but the rest of the league no doubt know  Skinner’s flaws and maybe this really was the best deal out there. Maybe Buffalo flips him at the deadline and maybe he nets a first round pick then. But maybe he doesn’t and Buffalo either sells low af the deadline or loses him for nothing next year and ends up regretting the trade. Buffalo isn’t making the playoffs next year and I don’t understand why anyone would think Skinner helps them get there when he never did that in Carolina. I just don’t think anyone really knows who won this trade today; time will tell. 

Again, I’d hoped for more, like everyone else but I’m a fan and fans always overvalue their teams’ players. ?

I don’t think it’s likely Buffalo makes the playoffs this year but they’re a heck of a lot closer than we are at the moment.

As a Sabres fan, reading thru all your comments here, we know how you feel. We've made our share of head scratching deals, all while the years of mediocrity & worse add up.

On a side note, back in 2006 my friends & I traveled down from Buffalo to watch game 7 of the Conference Finals. We obviously lost that game & somewhere near the parking lot we buried our fake Stanley Cup we brought with us. I wonder if it's still there lol.

Anyways like a lot of you have said, trading Skinner now for these picks doesn't really make a lot of sense. You could've had a seasons worth of offense from him & then traded him at the deadline. And yeah Waddell said Buffalo offered the most, but that was from the last of the teams Skinner agreed to get traded to. Who knows what those other teams offered.

You guys have some nice talent in the pipeline & hopefully things work out for ya. For us in Buffalo we say thanks!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brianthomas said:

As a Sabres fan, reading thru all your comments here, we know how you feel. We've made our share of head scratching deals, all while the years of mediocrity & worse add up.

On a side note, back in 2006 my friends & I traveled down from Buffalo to watch game 7 of the Conference Finals. We obviously lost that game & somewhere near the parking lot we buried our fake Stanley Cup we brought with us. I wonder if it's still there lol.

Anyways like a lot of you have said, trading Skinner now for these picks doesn't really make a lot of sense. You could've had a seasons worth of offense from him & then traded him at the deadline. And yeah Waddell said Buffalo offered the most, but that was from the last of the teams Skinner agreed to get traded to. Who knows what those other teams offered.

You guys have some nice talent in the pipeline & hopefully things work out for ya. For us in Buffalo we say thanks!

We'll give you Waddell as part of the deal if you agree to it.  No further return ask for.

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

We'll give you Waddell as part of the deal if you agree to it.  No further return ask for.

Haha, as sad as it might sound we've probably lived thru worse. Darcy Regier or Tim Murray gutted our team & handcuffed us with horrible contracts. Being the last place team in the NHL 2 years running, we've had some hard times. Our new GM Jason Botterill at least has a plan to build from within, with some free agent signings to complete the puzzle. We're still the last placed team at this point since the season hasn't started yet, but at least you can see theres a plan in place. I can empathize with you guys because it's a mystery as to what the current plan is. Building for the future is the only answer, but these moves push that date out a couple years i think... leaving a restless fan base

44 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

I don’t think it’s likely Buffalo makes the playoffs this year but they’re a heck of a lot closer than we are at the moment.

Ummm...as much as Mongo sucked last season, I’d take our duo over theirs...at least ours have PROVEN they have the capacity to be good (just not last season).  Buffalo hasn’t had any decent goaltending this decade!

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Skinner wasn’t going to put up 25 goals next season.  We have two guys who can do that next season with Svech and Zykov 

That’s quite a statement. And you know this how?

Well, why not Svechnikov and Zykov?  They have as much a chance as Skinner does.  And they’ll probably be more consistent too and less turnover prone. 

We shall see...

For what it’s worth, here’s TSN’s trade verdict:

Verdict: Buffalo got a first-line scoring winger at a discount price, so they have to be ecstatic. Perhaps Skinner’s no-move clause limited his potential marketplace, but the Hurricanes are clearly worse after getting rid of Skinner, and it doesn’t look like the return makes the deal worthwhile. Essentially, if this was the best deal available, why not keep Skinner next season and try to make the playoffs?

Can’t fault that analysis...

• Like 3

What a curious trade. More like a deadline trade than a middle of summer trade. You get the feeling something else was going on in the background, or at least I do. I think I will wait to see what else we do. This has the feeling of an incomplete move with another one or two moves still to come.

I'm not saying this is a bad move just a curious return for a team that announced he was available but only at the right price. Buffalo had #1 picks to spare and we didn't get one back.

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, why not Svechnikov and Zykov?  They have as much a chance as Skinner does.  And they’ll probably be more consistent too and less turnover prone. 

We shall see...

Zykov disappeared after a little bit.  Schev is unproven as of right now as is Zykov over an 82 game stint.  

15 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

That’s quite a statement. And you know this how?

Who was he going to play with? It’s either Staal or Rask.  Rask is our 4th line center and Staal will be a league leader in D zone start percentage this season.  Which of those two scenarios says 25 goals?

Skinner is a consistent 20 to 30 goal scorer. There is no reason to think he wouldn't/won't be that again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Skinner is a consistent 20 to 30 goal scorer. There is no reason to think he wouldn't/won't be that again.

The way the team is constructed he doesn’t have a favorable situation to get him there.  

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The way the team is constructed he doesn’t have a favorable situation to get him there.  

I don't buy it. Skinner on a line with Svech no matter who centered would be a scoring line. But that's water under the bridge. There were plenty of reasons Skinner had to be traded, his ability to score wasn't one of them IMO

• Like 3