The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Skinner is a consistent 20 to 30 goal scorer. There is no reason to think he wouldn't/won't be that again.

Nope. Skinner was an inconsistent 20-35 goal scorer. He rarely came through when it mattered, did not make his team better, and scored more goals in blowouts than anybody I can remember.  Everybody talks about his line mates, which is a valid point, but were there numbers ever better with him than without.  Skinner is a GREAT shooter, but is not otherwise a good hockey player.  If he was, we would have received a better return 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't buy it. Skinner on a line with Svech no matter who centered would be a scoring line. But that's water under the bridge. There were plenty of reasons Skinner had to be traded, his ability to score wasn't one of them IMO

You can’t put Skinner with Necasnichov. That is every home coach’s wet dream. All three of them would be -30 or never get PT on the road.

23 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Zykov disappeared after a little bit.  Schev is unproven as of right now as is Zykov over an 82 game stint.  

who knew 7 points in 10 games in Raleigh constitutes "disappearing."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Let’s step back from the ledge and show Skins some empathy for a moment. How would you like to be told you’re getting banished to Buffalo? ?

He had to approve it so I don't think he minded. It's a few hours from his home town.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

He had to approve it so I don't think he minded. It's a few hours from his home town.

Very true and from what I'm reading buffalo was always at the top of his list. It will be interesting to see if he signs an extension with them or heads to free agency next summer.

Coming into last season, Skinner was one of the players who really was in the mix to be named captain.  He was coming off a monster season where he was leading the teams playoff charge by scoring big goals down the stretch.  Lots of goals...

no one knows what happened.  Skinner started the year on fire.  Leading the push to turn things around.  He had around 10 goals in the first 15 games (or something like that)

what happened after the the first month of the season for things to take a turn this badly where he somehow gets run out of town.  Somehow he is the poster boy for the team not making the playoffs for 9 years.  Despite the fact that he was doing the majority of goal scoring for the team.

Similar to how E Staal was blamed at the end of his term.

Maybe because he was not surrounded by much to help him out

Edited by iceman11

3 hours ago, G50 said:

:facepalm2:

Maybe Waddell is saying something.... That Skins was more of a liability than his goals are worth. Perhaps he trusts that the rest of the squad can pick up the goals. Perhaps he really was poison in the locker room and RB wasn't gonna risk tainting Necas, Zykov, or Svech. Who knows. Some of you enjoy playing armchair GM. I don't. I just look forward to a fresh start.

• Like 3

Skinner is -96 with 159 even strength goals in his career.  We’ve had 255 even strength goals scored against us while Skinner is on the ice.  

We take out the concussion year and take off some of his minus for last year (because the goalies were awful).

151 even strength to a minus 63.  Still that is 214 even strength goals against with him on the ice.  That isn’t including the possession we lose because he is out of defensive position or the off the ice stuff.

9 hours ago, brianthomas said:

As a Sabres fan, reading thru all your comments here, we know how you feel. We've made our share of head scratching deals, all while the years of mediocrity & worse add up.

On a side note, back in 2006 my friends & I traveled down from Buffalo to watch game 7 of the Conference Finals. We obviously lost that game & somewhere near the parking lot we buried our fake Stanley Cup we brought with us. I wonder if it's still there lol.

Anyways like a lot of you have said, trading Skinner now for these picks doesn't really make a lot of sense. You could've had a seasons worth of offense from him & then traded him at the deadline. And yeah Waddell said Buffalo offered the most, but that was from the last of the teams Skinner agreed to get traded to. Who knows what those other teams offered.

You guys have some nice talent in the pipeline & hopefully things work out for ya. For us in Buffalo we say thanks!

Thank you- we value your opinion highly.

8 hours ago, OBXer said:

Very true and from what I'm reading buffalo was always at the top of his list. It will be interesting to see if he signs an extension with them or heads to free agency next summer.

I think he will go FA. With the discussions in favor or against the trade, I'm just surprised we couldn't get more. I guess I over valued his goal scoring. It looks like Buffalo was in the mix all along. I wonder if JS nixed an earlier deal then said oh what the hell, I'm going for more money next year.

Like most everyone else I was surprised at what we got for Skinner. Pu seems like a good prospect.  I would have thought trade deadline deal but maybe they just wanted him gone. No way for us arm chair GMs to know. I’m just happy he is not a Penguin. ?

• Like 2

If we were in the hunt at the deadline the fans would have burned down the PNC if our trade deadline move was an unloading. If we were in we couldn't reasonably unload him and would have got nothing. If we were way out would have been the only way Jeff would have exited without some sort of crap hitting the fan and while I'm not exactly excited about this season I don't think we're bottom dwellers.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

This trade tells us a few things: we did not want Jeff Skinner back in the room; 30 other teams didn't value him as much as fans and media; and Jeff didn't want to be here (he waived his NTC to go to one of the few teams that have been worse than us).  The combination of those three things makes me think that we are better off starting the season without him.

Pu's numbers in Juniors have been good.  We will have to see what he can do in the A.  

I agree with this.  To change a culture you have to make changes.  There were things I liked about Skinner.  No doubt he had a scorers touch, but he was extremely streaky.  When he was off he was way off.  Too many long stretches where he just disappeared, and there was nothing physical about his game.  Had the second been a first I would have thought this was a good deal.  As it stands it was just OK, but if a couple of the new guys step up this could move from just OK to really good.

• Like 1

I really want to know what happened after the first month of the season.  Skinner was on fire.  Then he disappeared.  Never ending rotation of line mates.

i reallly thought he was the player who stepped up and showed leadership down the stretch the season before.  And that carried over and he was the only player scoring over the first month last year.  

Then something went wrong.  

9 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Let’s step back from the ledge and show Skins some empathy for a moment. How would you like to be told you’re getting banished to Buffalo? ?

I believe he had to agree to it

I don’t buy the idea that you get nothing when a player becomes a free agent. You get the salary you would have to pay him to keep him to use in the free agent market. I was hoping to see Skinner play on this team and see if he would fit. If not, we could have done a mid-season deal or simply let him go at the end and use the money saved to invest in another free agent.

Not saying Skinner was "bad blood" but we don't know what the emotional and mental state he was going to be in this year with all the talk of him being on the trading block. Maybe this is a good thing for all parties? Yeah, I am not that happy about it but it's a part of the game. When Bill Peters was brought in we thought we were going to be contenders, we were not! When Ronnie took over the office we thought we were going to be contenders, again we were not! I wish Skinner the best with his new team...except against us...and I hope we can put the right people on the ice. 

As far as one person saying "go ahead and move us to Houston." That's not going to happen either. When he bought the team I heard there was a clause that said the team cannot be moved for something like three years. Let's see what can happen and let Brindy, Dundon, and Waddell do their thing. From where we've been, there less room going down than going up. 

GO CANES!

Edited by Goalieman_nc

11 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

If we were in the hunt at the deadline the fans would have burned down the PNC if our trade deadline move was an unloading. If we were in we couldn't reasonably unload him and would have got nothing. If we were way out would have been the only way Jeff would have exited without some sort of crap hitting the fan and while I'm not exactly excited about this season I don't think we're bottom dwellers.

Yeah.  If the Canes were in the mix at the deadline, they couldn't trade him and avoid fan backlash.  If the Canes aren't in the mix at the deadline, well, they can do that without Skinner now.  Evidently they made the decision that he wasn't part of the solution going forward.  We needed a culture change, and we are seeing one.

Some notes:

1.  Skinner's agent got him a NTC, and he had every right to use it.  Damn you JR.

2.  I was one of the many who decried how Skinner was used on the 3rd line with the coach's pet.  Maybe it didn't matter where you put a free agent player, he was going to do his own thing regardless.

3.  We obviously thought Skinner had more value than reality revealed.

4.  Cole was the harbinger of death.  See his comments on Skinner's play.

5.  The captain dilemma is sorting itself out.  Faulk, you're next.

6.  Skinner's 25ish goals probably only need to be replaced with about half that to get a "net break even" when you factor in goals against.

7.  HCRBA isn't going to take *edit* off anyone.  He's the Chuck Norris of coaches.

8.  If you ain't first, you're last.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Tell me what happened after those 7 points though.

The season ended then he put up 6 points in 8 games in the Calder Cup Playoffs?

Skinner held the cards in this trade. He negotiated a NTC and his narrow list hand cuffs Waddell.  The more teams inquired about his services and the more the teams on his narrow list figured out who the bidders were or weren’t they could reduce their offers in the waiting game. The open marketing of him indicates the departure was probably mutually agreed upon long ago.  His attitude and defensive issues probably made it unrealistic for him to return.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Yeah.  If the Canes were in the mix at the deadline, they couldn't trade him and avoid fan backlash.  If the Canes aren't in the mix at the deadline, well, they can do that without Skinner now.  Evidently they made the decision that he wasn't part of the solution going forward.  We needed a culture change, and we are seeing one.

Some notes:

1.  Skinner's agent got him a NTC, and he had every right to use it.  Damn you JR.

2.  I was one of the many who decried how Skinner was used on the 3rd line with the coach's pet.  Maybe it didn't matter where you put a free agent player, he was going to do his own thing regardless.

3.  We obviously thought Skinner had more value than reality revealed.

4.  Cole was the harbinger of death.  See his comments on Skinner's play.

5.  The captain dilemma is sorting itself out.  Faulk, you're next.

6.  Skinner's 25ish goals probably only need to be replaced with about half that to get a "net break even" when you factor in goals against.

7.  HCRBA isn't going to take *edit* off anyone.  He's the Chuck Norris of coaches.

8.  If you ain't first, you're last.

I mentioned once before that Dundon only saw Skinner for one year and it wasn't good on the eyes for Dundon. He got to see some pouting and at times lack of effort. It was enough for Dundon to feel he was part of the problem with not contributing 100%. I still wanted one more year of Skins with better talent on his line. It will be interesting to see where he slots with Buffalo as they lack talent as well. 

• Like 1