The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Ok guys.  Necas, Zykov, and Svech will now carry the load and take us to the promised lands.

Using your Eeyore logic, why place any faith in ANY of our players?  None of them have been consistent 30 goal scorers thus far.  And our head coach scored 30 goals ONCE in the last DECADE of his career.

BD58 is right, boys, it's time to start packing our bags for Houston or Seattle...cause that's where we're headed!  :facepalm:

Dang and here I actually thought we were going to be a better team this year, even with the net minder worries.. Guess I will give away seats this year and spare all the woes. so glad I come here for info?

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Give it a rest.  We know how you feel without having to post it.  Where is the news guy?  Something about water...

Ron-Burgundy_2759930b.thumb.jpg.bdc466938ad92f98db10d5e37f4bf90f.jpg

12 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Using your Eeyore logic, why place any faith in ANY of our players?  None of them have been consistent 30 goal scorers thus far.  And our head coach scored 30 goals ONCE in the last DECADE of his career.

BD58 is right, boys, it's time to start packing our bags for Houston or Seattle...cause that's where we're headed!  :facepalm:

The off season was going good up until this trade.  Sugar coat it any way you like.  Make excuses on why he needed to go and this is all we could get if it makes you feel better.  We got fleeced and became worse whether Skinner needed to go or not.  Now we need 2 top 6 scoring forwards in order to be competitive.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

The off season was going good up until this trade.  Sugar coat it any way you like.  Make excuses on why he needed to go and this is all we could get if it makes you feel better.  We got fleeced and became worse whether Skinner needed to go or not.  Now we need 2 top 6 scoring forwards in order to be competitive.

I'm just surprised to see you had a change of heart - you said earlier you were done with this team.

• Like 3

I most certainly am and will not be purchasing season tickets with my friend like we did last year.  No point on wasting money on a *edit* product that clearly isn't committed to winning.  I hope for all of our sake they bring in a forward otherwise this team is going to be screwed.  The level of blind optimism here and dis-concern for what just transpired is quite frankly worrisome.  One day you people all are against trading Skinner and then next day when it happens you're fine with it. 

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

WOW! Just showing up to see this. I'm still processing at this point. Either way, I would like to think this signals, "Hey, we have to move Faulk + whatever" to get another forward with some decent credentials to add back in. I'm not saying this was or wasn't the right thing to do, just that there needs to be form of "hole filler" to consider. Very complex issue. I'm surprised they did this before adding a forward first, as I would have been surprised if they would have traded Faulk before adding Hamilton. Maybe it was that ugly behind closed doors.

Edited by sleekfeeder

I'm not really fine with trading Skinner for the return but I'm not ready to give up on a season that is still a couple of months away. There is still plenty of time for more deals. Even if we don't make moves before the season start we should have a highly competitive camp and a chance for the players we have been developing to earn their place.

It is becoming evident the Skins wasn't going to re-sign here. He still would of been an asset IMO in the short term but until the team is set, until the the rooks prove they can't do it this could be an exciting season.

17 hours ago, OBXer said:

What a curious trade. More like a deadline trade than a middle of summer trade. You get the feeling something else was going on in the background, or at least I do. I think I will wait to see what else we do. This has the feeling of an incomplete move with another one or two moves still to come.

I'm not saying this is a bad move just a curious return for a team that announced he was available but only at the right price. Buffalo had #1 picks to spare and we didn't get one back.

This. 

I look back at what Cole had to say about Skinner, and with Rod taking over as HC I'm thinking a big part of the rationale for this trade had to do with Brindy implementing what he wants as a team identity going forward, and Skinner didn't fit in. 

Another possible explanation is that the committee saw what happened with the Isles losing Tavares for no return and panicked.  But given what we got back for Skinner, if there wasn't something related to "team culture" (or a locker room issue), I'd have rather kept him through the season for a playoff drive, even at the risk of losing him for nothing.  Think season long rental as compared to trade deadline rental. 

Other thoughts:

• I wonder how many teams were actual potential trade partners?  Given the salary cap and what is reported as a very limited list provided by Skinner, I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to just a few.
  • Buffalo is less than a 2 hour drive from Skinner's home town.  I wonder if there might be some family issues (parents health?) that prompted him to push the Sabres as a landing spot?  (pure unadulterated speculative question on my part)
  • Pu is a decent sized 2-way center with good production at the junior level and I've read that he has a great work ethic. I'm wondering if Brindy and the committee value him more highly than the "ok" prospect he would appear to be on paper?
Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Other thoughts:

• I wonder how many teams were actual potential trade partners?  Given the salary cap and what is reported as a very limited list provided by Skinner, I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to just a few.
  • Buffalo is less than a 2 hour drive from Skinner's home town.  I wonder if there might be some family issues (parents health?) that prompted him to push the Sabres as a landing spot?  (pure unadulterated speculative question on my part)
  • Pu is a decent sized 2-way center with good production at the junior level and I've read that he has a great work ethic. I'm wondering if Brindy and the committee value him more highly than the "ok" prospect he would appear to be on paper?

All good questions. I wish I knew the answer.

I am not happy with the return either, but no one on the boards knows what is going on behind the scenes.  What if Skinner said, "The only team I will accept a trade to is Buffalo?"  We just don't know the dynamics of how the NTC played in to this equation.

I will root for Buffalo to be terrible.  Were I Waddell, I would be calling MTL right now and see if I could use Faulk and some picks to get Patches...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Except that he had to okay it. I think he's happy to get a fresh start and the chance to build something with one of the best players in hockey.

It tells you just how awful things are here when you look around and view Buffalo as an improved situation to go to.

• Like 1

With Jeff Skinner gone, who will score the goals for the Hurricanes?

So why trade Skinner, a proven scorer? Skinner’s agent, Don Meehan, said Thursday that Skinner did not request a trade, saying the decision to move him was an organizational one.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

We’re ending up in Houston (only because Seattle is paying the big price tag for a new franchise they can shape their own way).

I've lived in Houston. People think the ice here sucks? Wait until the crew needs to make it in 110 degree heat with 80-90 percent humidity.

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

All good questions. I wish I knew the answer.

Pu is a prospect who couldn’t make the roster of one of the most consistently bad franchises and went back to JR’s every year since he was drafted. 

Edited by caneswincup
Spelling

57 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Talked to a buddy of mine from Buffalo this morning who was pretty high on Pu.  Guess time will tell.

21 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

Pu is a prospect who couldn’t make the roster of one of the most consistently bad franchises and went back to JR’s every year since he was drafted. 

Both years huh?...Canes should drop him now. Um...Pu wasn't drafted until 2016, & in the 3rd round...Most 3rd rounders take all of there JR, or college years, before turning pro. Kid is still only 20...will play in Charlotte this year, & has about a 28% chance of making it to being an NHL player. 

Another way to look at it.

A = what we could get for Skinner, trading him before the season

B= what we could get for Skinner, trading him at the trade deadline, given his likely performance in the new team structure 

C= likelyhood we are able to re-sign Skinner as a UFA

The committee clearly thinks A > B > C.

B could have been greater than A, but would you want to trade him in that case?  Then you fall to C.   

It's not sugarcoating, it is making the best of a bad situation.

What could have happened:

D = Trade Tavares at trade deadline

E = Sign Tavares Before UFA

F = Sign Tavares After UFA

G = 0

Isles = G

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Another way to look at it.

A = what we could get for Skinner, trading him before the season

B= what we could get for Skinner, trading him at the trade deadline, given his likely performance in the new team structure 

C= likelyhood we are able to re-sign Skinner as a UFA

The committee clearly thinks A > B > C.

B could have been greater than A, but would you want to trade him in that case?  Then you fall to C.   

It's not sugarcoating, it is making the best of a bad situation.

What could have happened:

D = Trade Tavares at trade deadline

E = Sign Tavares Before UFA

F = Sign Tavares After UFA

G = 0

Isles = G

But that only looks at return.  It ignores the value of having Skinner for 3/4 of a season with regard to making the playoffs, an important objective, imo. Factoring that in, I'm ascribing to the theory that the trade had as much to do with team culture/ direction as it did with return on value for Skinner. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

But that only looks at return.  It ignores the value of having Skinner for 3/4 of a season with regard to making the playoffs, an important objective, imo. Factoring that in, I'm ascribing to the theory that the trade had as much to do with team culture/ direction as it did with return on value for Skinner. 

Right.  The Committee may have even evaluated his team impacting value as a net negative.  Sure seems that way to me, what with The Ambassador's comments and all.

Look at it a different way... I have a car worth $5k according to KBB.  But I trade for $3k because the dealer knows what I know, i.e. the transmission only has 3 of 5 speeds working, and no reverse.  Now as long as I pull into all parking spaces and don't mind just tooling around in the city, the car is totally worth it!  But it is missing a few dimensions.  Oh, and it really ticked off the other drivers in the household when they didn't know it couldn't do defense -- I mean couldn't shift in reverse -- so it just has to go.

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, rocheccw said:

Don't get me wrong the haul for Skinner was Pu...I mean Buffalo has 3 possible 1st round picks next year, & you can't get one of them for Skinner???

No- you dont get a 1st rounder for a defensive liability forward as a 1 year potential rental

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

u is a prospect who couldn’t make the roster of one of the most consistently bad franchises and went back to JR’s every year since he was drafted. 

And this would be a total of 2 years.  He is 20 now.

So I agree with many of you that keeping Skinner this year and getting his scoring would be better than the return we got today... But if RB thought he wouldn't play the type of hockey we will demand (thus having to sit him) then I guess I can understand why they traded him.... BUT THEY COULD HAVE THEORETICALLY HAD RYAN OREILLY. I know he was owed a bonus no one wanted to pay... But (as the guy who doesn't have to pay it) I DONT CARE.