The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Pu is a prospect who couldn’t make the roster of one of the most consistently bad franchises and went back to JR’s every year since he was drafted. 

50 minutes ago, cc said:

And this would be a total of 2 years.  He is 20 now.

Sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water imo.  Pu turned 20 two months ago.  I doubt anyone thinks he's a top tier prospect, more like one with middle six potential.  How many of those do you see playing in the NHL at 18 or 19 years of age, regardless of the  team? The kid is only 7 months older than Necas, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

I may as well add my opinion.  Jeff Skinner has talent but was a high price to pay for a forward that had to be hidden on the third line to keep him away from playing against stronger players.  He either couldn't or didn't want to play the defensive side of the game and didn't seem to make his line mates any better.  He played with passion (at times) but that passion often made him look like he was still in juniors and hadn't yet started to shave regularly.  Not to mention the no trade clause.  He controlled where he was going to go and the Hurricanes wanted to get value for an asset that was dropping in value.  I'll miss watching his highlight goals in a Canes jersey but it was time for him to move on. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, BBreb said:

I may as well add my opinion.  Jeff Skinner has talent but was a high price to pay for a forward that had to be hidden on the third line to keep him away from playing against stronger players.  He either couldn't or didn't want to play the defensive side of the game and didn't seem to make his line mates any better.  He played with passion (at times) but that passion often made him look like he was still in juniors and hadn't yet started to shave regularly.  Not to mention the no trade clause.  He controlled where he was going to go and the Hurricanes wanted to get value for an asset that was dropping in value.  I'll miss watching his highlight goals in a Canes jersey but it was time for him to move on. 

Well said, and don't be a stranger

26 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

So I agree with many of you that keeping Skinner this year and getting his scoring would be better than the return we got today... But if RB thought he wouldn't play the type of hockey we will demand (thus having to sit him) then I guess I can understand why they traded him.... BUT THEY COULD HAVE THEORETICALLY HAD RYAN OREILLY. I know he was owed a bonus no one wanted to pay... But (as the guy who doesn't have to pay it) I DONT CARE.

I'm sure the 7.5 mil bonus chased off multiple suitors.

13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Well said, and don't be a stranger

Thanks Dave.  It is good to see a familiar name if you're the same Dave from the old Canes forum days.  I used to post there all of the time but stopped when all I could hear was my echo.

5 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

I think this move had CRB’s hands all over it. The message is clear: if you are not willing or able to be a responsible 2 way hockey player then you have no future with this franchise. 

This would be a solid observation were it not so untrue. Skinner was among our best defensive forwards in the two seasons prior to the one just ended, and upped his game in all zones after being told quite publicly he needed to. I'll be the first to admit that last season he was not as good, but he was still near the top of the league in takeaways, so I don't think you can look at his awful minus stat in a vacuum, i.e., without also considering that his line mates couldn't bring it offensively.

I've said this a lot but it bears repeating, from someone who has played this game for 40 years: It is hard enough (much harder than casual fans realize) to be the only guy keeping possession in the O-zone while awaiting your linemates' arrivals. To then also have the gas in the tank to get back on D is nigh impossible. In the prior two seasons, Skinner's linemates were much, much better than they were last season, and it showed in Jeff's numbers: two consecutive career years.

None of this even begins to address the "bend-over-and-grab-your-ankles,-Jeff" ridiculousness of the club's public messaging about the captaincy pre-season (he looked poised to get it) and the decision that was actually made. When that is also considered, it becomes a lot easier to believe that RF was doing all he could, all year long, to minimize Jeff's value heading into this off-season. It's a lot cheaper to re-sign a guy before you give him the C, and had we not fallen back-asswards in a bed of roses in the draft lottery, I'd be willing to bet Jeff is still here. But minimizing his value sure worked, as the return in this deal proves.

All of this being said, I want to be clear: While the org really ate *edit* on this trade, I remain ecstatic that TD is being proactive and doing something. Clearly he and The Committee believed it was time to move on from Jeff at any cost, and they did it. Those two words - move on - are ones I'm pretty sure PK only used once in his entire life: When he opted to fly by night out of Hartford.

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

It tells you just how awful things are here when you look around and view Buffalo as an improved situation to go to.

The club wanted him gone, and as Erik the Waddell PR Flack, er Cole, said about a month ago, why would you stay if you know you're not wanted? 

Skinner wasnt one of our best defensive forwards. He was good at maintaining pressure when he was by himself in the o zone and take away the puck.  Shortly after gaining control he would take a shot, after this spinorama, and then the opposing would get going again.  Skinner would be seeing a bunch of name tapes as the play went the other way.  

Great that he pressured a defender and got the puck, to only give away shortly after.  Its not like he would wait for his teammates to come and try to cycle the puck.  Nope it was him on two defenders that led to very little.  Then he was worn after all the dancing that he wasnt moving back with any regularity.  

One of the best defensive forwards. HA!

Edited by gocanes0506

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm just surprised to see you had a change of heart - you said earlier you were done with this team.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. We've seen his brand of "doneness" too many times before.

Edited by top-shelf-1

52 minutes ago, cc said:

No- you dont get a 1st rounder for a defensive liability forward as a 1 year potential rental

That's my point..why make a trade like this now...when he could have gotten you this at the deadline once your out of the playoff race, or maybe he would help you end that playoff drought? Or maybe he walks for nothing...this haul is somewhere in the middle...not great(ie 1st round pick or a ROR), but not horrible like losing him for nothing! Just weird timing to me. This hurts the Canes NHL depth unless they make another move...counting on three players making the jump to the NHL is not good IMO.

1 minute ago, rocheccw said:

That's my point..why make a trade like this now...when he could have gotten you this at the deadline once your out of the playoff race, or maybe he would help you end that playoff drought? Or maybe he walks for nothing...this haul is somewhere in the middle...not great(ie 1st round pick or a ROR), but not horrible like losing him for nothing! Just weird timing to me. This hurts the Canes NHL depth unless they make another move...counting on three players making the jump to the NHL is not good IMO.

Hasn't worked out for us the past 9 years we tried. 

1 minute ago, rocheccw said:

That's my point..why make a trade like this now...when he could have gotten you this at the deadline once your out of the playoff race, or maybe he would help you end that playoff drought?

I don't think it is really too complicated of an answer.  I believe much of this was about changing directions....changing the culture.  I don't think anyone on our side would not have wanted a better return, but it is what it is.  A decision was made, and the trigger was pulled.  Maybe this will turn out good for both sides.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

. . . had we not fallen back-asswards in a bed of roses . . .

A bit off topic, but did you perhaps mean a bed of cotton, lol?  Don't most roses have thorns?  ?:shock::injured:

22 minutes ago, BBreb said:

Thanks Dave.  It is good to see a familiar name if you're the same Dave from the old Canes forum days.  I used to post there all of the time but stopped when all I could hear was my echo.

Same old superdave.  When they combined or updated all the NHL official team boards, I got the underscores and the 1 added to my name.

Buffalo had 3   1st round  picks  and the canes didnt get any of them . buffalo  took Carolina to the cleaners and  Waddell should be fired for  not trying to get something of value back  for skinner..  I dont  see how any canes fan in their right mind  can be happy with this trade .   This is why we cant have nice things . What was that crap  Don Waddell was saying last month ? oh yeah  it was ,  " We are not looking to trade Skinner  just to make a  trade "     Boy did  waddell lie his butt off about that  !   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Buffalo had 3   1st round  picks  and the canes didnt get any of them . buffalo  took Carolina to the cleaners and  Waddell should be fired for  not trying to get something of value back  for skinner..  I dont  see how any canes fan in their right mind  can be happy with this trade .   This is why we cant have nice things . What was that crap  Don Waddell was saying last month ? oh yeah  it was ,  " We are not looking to trade Skinner  just to make a  trade "     Boy did  waddell lie his butt off about that  !   

Dude.thumb.jpg.78c2f1c6a1a6e5ee1398edda9d43cb54.jpg

Edited by super_dave_1

49 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

wait for his teammates to come and try to cycle the puck.  Nope it was him on two defenders that led to very little. 

Again, if you've never played you can't understand. After about three trips up the ice without finding a line mate to pass to (how many times did you hear Forslund say, "Skinner dangles... looking for friend..."??), a player of Skinner's calibre is going to stop looking for what's never there, and do what he can to keep the puck in that end. Taking a shot and following it to the net is what elite players do (which is why a lot his goals come off rebounds). Yes, sometimes taking a shot results in losing possession, but it often produces an o-zone face-off. If your line mates can't get there while play's on, maybe they can with play stopped. Although in the case of DiGi, I doubt it.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

42 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

A bit off topic, but did you perhaps mean a bed of cotton, lol?  Don't most roses have thorns?  ?:shock::injured:

Oops, good catch. Rose petals. (To enable coming out smelling like a rose.)

Seems they simply wanted him gone based on the return they settled for.  Likely saddled with less choices due to NTC based on what Cole said earlier.

We'll miss the goals, but certainly not his various deficiencies.  Let Rod have it his way.  IMO he would have been a very expenses signing at season's end.  IMO they can do better at the likely rate he'll command.

Anxious?  Yes, but willing to wait and see.   Best wishes Jeff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water imo.  Pu turned 20 two months ago.  I doubt anyone thinks he's a top tier prospect, more like one with middle six potential.  How many of those do you see playing in the NHL at 18 or 19 years of age, regardless of the  team? The kid is only 7 months older than Necas, lol.

I’ll be surprised if he does as well as even a Dalpe or Boychuk long term.

55 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

All great points, but I'm afraid I can no longer grace your posts with "thumbs ups," given that you're a Pens fan.

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm not really fine with trading Skinner for the return but I'm not ready to give up on a season that is still a couple of months away. There is still plenty of time for more deals. Even if we don't make moves before the season start we should have a highly competitive camp and a chance for the players we have been developing to earn their place.

It is becoming evident the Skins wasn't going to re-sign here. He still would of been an asset IMO in the short term but until the team is set, until the the rooks prove they can't do it this could be an exciting season.

If by evident you mean the team never even entered into discussions with the Skinner camp about his impending UFA STtus, then yes, it was crystal clear he would’ve been gone come next July 1.

Edited by caneswincup
Grammar

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

29 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

I’ll be surprised if he does as well as even a Dalpe or Boychuk long term.

We'll see. I'm guardedly optimistic based on what I read from Sabres fans who have actually seen him play.  You're down on him because . . . he didn't make an NHL team as an 18 or 19 year old?  Only time will tell for sure.