The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

The teams number one goal is to get picks and prospects, thatnever make the NHL.  While everybody else makes NHL hockey trades and signings to better their team   Yes I’m very ****** about the trade, hoping two AHLers step up to cover his goal scoring is a horrible plan

17 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

The 2018 Carolina hurricanes, the team of 18-year-olds and AHL players that we hope really take a step up, yay 

How sad

Skinner interview:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/08-03-jeff-skinner-schopp-bulldog

He thanked the Canes brass for how things went down, sounded like it was a reasonably amiable process.  Said he didn't veto any trades, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that there might have been offers from teams that weren't on his "go to" list that the Canes didn't entertain.

Edited by LakeLivin

19 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Who was he going to play with? It’s either Staal or Rask.  Rask is our 4th line center and Staal will be a league leader in D zone start percentage this season.  Which of those two scenarios says 25 goals?

Skinner has played on garbage Canes teams for years and has always been good for 20+ and more often 25+. This years team edition is (supposedly) better than previous editions so there is nothing to say he wouldn’t meet his own numbers, not to mention it’s a contract year which would/will heavily motivate him. Your other two guys can only be spoken about as potential -  but as of this moment they are unproven NHLers. 

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

If by evident you mean the team never even entered into discussions with the Skinner camp about his impending UFA STtus, then yes, it was crystal clear he would’ve been gone come next July 1.

Yeah, there is that. Maybe I should of said evident he wasn't going to be re-signed.

31 minutes ago, ibfrizbman said:

Trading  Skinner for someone who has yet to play in the NHL?   Not too crazy about this.

Welcome to the board. You are not alone as many here are wondering couldn't we get more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Skinner has played on garbage Canes teams for years and has always been good for 20+ and more often 25+. This years team edition is (supposedly) better than previous editions so there is nothing to say he wouldn’t meet his own numbers, not to mention it’s a contract year which would/will heavily motivate him. Your other two guys can only be spoken about as potential -  but as of this moment they are unproven NHLers. 

Again who does he play with and which scenario gets him 25 goals? Cuz i dont see it.

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Again who does he play with and which scenario gets him 25 goals? Cuz i dont see it.

He got 24 goals last season while attached to Ryan's hip.  I don't think it's a stretch to think 25 was a possibility.

• Like 3

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

He got 24 goals last season while attached to Ryan's hip.  I don't think it's a stretch to think 25 was a possibility.

Ryan was the third line center and his scenarios were hand picked by Peters for Skinner. Those scenarios are earmarked for Necasnichov now as we don’t want them to get abused. Favorable scenarios are limited with Aho and Necas as centers.

Skinner has only scored less than 20 goals twice in his career. In 2012/13 he scored 13 but played just 42 games and in 2014/15 he netted 18 in 77 games.He only scored under 30 points once in his career.  Thinking he will score between 20-30 goals no matter who he skates with isn't a stretch. Now if you want to say why doesn't he score 40 goals I will buy the who will he skate with argument.

I think he generates more shots and scoring chances than any other Hurricane. Wouldn't it of been nice to have him on a line with someone who could pick up a rebound

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danimal38 said:

The 2018 Carolina hurricanes, the team of 18-year-olds and AHL players that we hope really take a step up, yay 

You forgot slot-machine goaltending (i.e., a gamble).

If we don't at least get Saad coming back in the Faulk deal, the org will certainly have (cough*created*cough) sufficient excuses for another missed playoffs. And saved enough money that if TD doesn't make a serious play for Varly or Bobs next summer, it will be pretty hard not to ask "What the hell??" Because at the moment, we're just $2 million above the floor. (In view of this trade, I do expect an announcement that both SeaBass and TT are getting long-term extensions within days, but neither will factor into the cap for the coming season.)

55 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Let’s hope Waddell didn’t have a brain spasm and think he was still in Atlanta. Ronnie’s sitting at the end of the bar somewhere  in the Soo his vacation home, from which he can cast directly into the secluded Canadian lake beside which it sits, and shaking his head. 

FTFY

53 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Dude, seriously. Look at his career numbers. And for much of those two consecutive career years, he skated with Rask.

So, put him with Willy and Rask. Cha-ching. Just like it could have been last year. 

43 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ryan was the third line center and his scenarios were hand picked by Peters for Skinner. 

What does this even mean? 

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

" We are not looking to trade Skinner  just to make a  trade "     Boy did  waddell lie his butt off about that  !   

I agree with this. A major Pinnochio

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude, seriously. Look at his career numbers. And for much of those two consecutive career years, he skated with Rask.

So, put him with Willy and Rask. Cha-ching. Just like it could have been last year. 

In a 4th line capacity, dude?  Yea I don’t think so. It’s scenarios as much as who. I love your idea of a 14.5 million dollar 4th line though.

Edited by gocanes0506

Have to say, I didn't expect this.

I can't say I was ever a huge Skinner fan - I try not to crush on particular players, really - but he did score goals for us, which is something that every hockey team needs. All players have strengths and weaknesses, and Skins was no different. I wonder if Buffalo will put him on a line centered by Eichel with a take-no-crap power forward on the RW (do they have a guy like that?) - that would probably be the best of all possible worlds for Skinny.

The reaction here is pretty much what I expected, though. You get your devoted fans of a person, for whom the sky is falling because their fave got traded away. You got your fanatics of the team, who looooooooooove a guy as long as he's on their team, but as soon as he's gone, he's a nobody who couldn't skate onto the ice without tripping over his laces. You got your devoted fatalists, who just know that disaster is around the corner no matter what happens....

The deal's done. He's gone to Buffalo. Next season will be interesting....

1 hour ago, cc said:

Thank goodness for ignore. later y’all whiners

The Canes Message Board. Where I go only to read comments from those smart enough to agree with me. We certainly don’t want to have an exchange of differing opinions addressed respectfully to one another. 

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure Jeff would have been gone if Francis/Peters were still running the show. I wish him well, and I am kind of shocked that he didn’t bring a decent roster player or a first, but I guess with just one year on his deal, the market has spoken and potential suitors saw some of the same flaws as Canes management. I felt sad (maybe I’m the only one) that Eric Staal’s tenure here ended the way it did. Then I see what he has done in Minnesota and wonder why he could not have reached that level again here. I don’t think I’ll feel the same way about Skinner. But it will be interesting to see how Buffalo uses him and what his production looks like there. I’m hoping that Faulk, and if necessary that 2nd round pick or another sweetener, can fetch us a proven scorer to replace Skinner.

• Like 1