The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Trade- Jeff Skinner to Buffalo

“It had to be done,” Dundon said Friday. “The consensus in the organization, and it has been for a while, was it was better for all parties. It’s good for him, too.”

“This was not money motivated,” Dundon said. “This was simply that we think the team has a better chance to perform at the level we think it can perform at right now.” 

From the N&O this afternoon 

Edited by gocanes0506

42 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Here is the Dundon Interview on the Skinner trade.

It sounds like Skinner was moved to facilitate a culture change and to send the message that accountability is real. Dundon also said that he expects everyone to play a certain way and that maybe in the past they let things slide. He would rather play with fewer guys than play individuals who refuse to play the way the team expects. He wants everyone to play offense and defense, and wants to be more physical.

So much of this sounds familiar...

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

So much of this sounds familiar... 

Yeah, but our previous owner has never said it.  Mostly it came from the coach.

Seems different this time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, but our previous owner has never said it.  Mostly it came from the coach.

Seems different this time.

I meant that in a sarcastic way in that this is what Dundon and Brind’Amour have been hinting at all offseason. Finally something is being done.

I also said it because most of what Dundon is saying are the same criticisms that have been associated with Skinner, although previous management has to shoulder some of that blame.

Oh, and I wish they would have pursued that “Faulk is different” comment/line of thinking.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I meant that in a sarcastic way in that this is what Dundon and Brind’Amour have been hinting at all offseason. Finally something is being done.

I also said it because most of what Dundon is saying are the same criticisms that have been associated with Skinner, although previous management has to shoulder some of that blame.

Gotcha.  And yes, in an ironic way it is the Canes self-induced problem to begin with for allowing these things in his game to slide.  But that's what happens when there isn't enough high end talent to go round.  I would bring up JR but why bother at this point.

So, Zykov and Kyrule are sipping the cold ones right now.  B)

• Like 2

The message is clear, but we can't ship off too many more stars for jack squat for the sake of change. 110 easily guaranteed points a season (I feel I'm lowballing) have been dealt in the past 3 years, one of those deals has netted 0 NHL players, this deal might yield 2 (Pu and the 2nd) but if maybes and buts were berries and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas or some such stupid saying. At some point we've gotta be the team adding a player for a steal.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

The message is clear, but we can't ship off too many more stars for jack squat for the sake of change. 110 easily guaranteed points a season (I feel I'm lowballing) have been dealt in the past 3 years, one of those deals has netted 0 NHL players, this deal might yield 2 (Pu and the 2nd) but if maybes and buts were berries and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas or some such stupid saying. At some point we've gotta be the team adding a player for a steal.

Agreed. No more futures and prospects (well...maybe a top notch goalie prospect).

Dundon also said it wasn’t about money but 6 million just came off the books. No more barely reaching the floor. Put that 6 million per to good use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Gotcha.  And yes, in an ironic way it is the Canes self-induced problem to begin with for allowing these things in his game to slide.  But that's what happens when there isn't enough high end talent to go round.  I would bring up JR but why bother at this point.

So, Zykov and Kyrule are sipping the cold ones right now.  B)

Thank you for recognizing that I am saying that I think Skinner was basically mishandled. Some of it I think was due to the organization being desperate for a star/marketable player, some of it was due to the lack of accountability (even though we all heard the lip service), and some of it was just being cheap.

In the end things didn’t work out, and hopefully the organization recognizes and learns from its mistakes because like I said, they certainly deserve their share of the blame.

I think maybe I’ll have Foegle over for a cold one as well. ?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I don't know where the goals will come from but the writing is on the wall the youth movement is here.  That, and this won't be imo the same Canes squad we watch this year. 

The Canes have gutted everything that was.  Also ironic in that this entire message board was all in on that.  Then butthurt kicked in.

It's a new day and I'll be there to watch it

• Like 1

If they wanted to move Skinner so bad, they should’ve traded him over draft weekend.  Since they basically got nothing back, I’m sure they could have got similar return.  

The Canes need to acquire some sort of offensive help from somewhere because with the goaltending situation, I don’t see the canes winning many 2-1 or 1-0 games.

are the Canes even at the cap floor after this trade?

12 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

The reaction here is pretty much what I expected, though. You get your devoted fans of a person, for whom the sky is falling because their fave got traded away. You got your fanatics of the team, who looooooooooove a guy as long as he's on their team, but as soon as he's gone, he's a nobody who couldn't skate onto the ice without tripping over his laces. You got your devoted fatalists, who just know that disaster is around the corner no matter what happens....

This is a great summation.  One positive is that at least the board has some action and there is something to talk about.

In the end the bottom line is we haven't made the playoffs in 9 years.  At least much of last year it felt like they had a chance, and if SD had even an average year they would have broken through.  However I have wondered for the past several seasons what would happen to this team if they did make the playoffs.  Postseason in the NHL is big boy hockey.  Everyone finishes their checks.  Everyone lays out to block shots.  Everyone goes to the front of the net.  Everyone battles on the boards and in the corners.  I think the Canes teams over the past several years have been way too soft for playoff hockey.  Even if they had made it, I believe they would have always made a quick exit in the first round.

It seems TD, RB, and company want to change the heart of this team.  Personally I think that is a good thing, and I have no problem with any of the moves so far.  Change requires action.  Sometimes those actions require tough decisions that not everyone will agree with. 

Skinner left here with class.  That says good things about him as a man, and I wish him the best.  I am OK with him leaving though.  Yes we have to replace his goals, and maybe it was a gamble, but after 9 years it is time to gamble.  Someone else on here already said it, and I agree that our goals may come differently this year.  Gary Roberts scored alot of goals by parking himself in front of the net.  If we can get a team of guys willing to lay it all out, make their living in the crease, and play with an edge, then we will be a better team.  Sure there are some unknowns with Z and Necas, but I am ready for some unknowns after watching 9 years of the same thing with nothing to show for it.  I am ready to watch a team that is tough to play against  not just because they cycle the puck and keep tight gaps, but because they make you pay a price.  I am hoping that is a team we will have this year.  Maybe it will be a complete disaster, but I don't think so.  I think we will finally have a heartbeat, be fun to watch, yes.....score more goals, and with some help in goal make it past the first round of the playoffs.

Sorry for the long post......just my $.02

Edited by reelpirate5
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

In a 4th line capacity, dude?  Yea I don’t think so. It’s scenarios as much as who. I love your idea of a 14.5 million dollar 4th line though.

And I love how you think that Necas is an immediate top-sixer, or even a third liner, based on his playing half the games he will be asked to this year, in a country where hitting is optional and well over half of its top 50 player contributions to the NHL have proved largely forgettable.  

A line of Rask, Willy and Skins last year would have meant the Canes were actually rolling three legit scoring lines, because Rask and Willy both have skills that Doc and DiGi can only dream about. But go ahead, marginalize a Calder Cup winner, a three-time Stanley Cup winner, and a guy whose only crime in the last three years has been two shoulder injuries, so you can feel better about completely mischaracterizing Skinner's production - and having it pointed out - upthread.

I don’t care what way you slice it, if an NHL scoring forward is not acquired Before the start of the season, we are screwed.  Talk about his wuestionable defense all you want, we were already low on goal scoring and now we just gave up 25-35 more.  How stupid is this team to give up a guy that scored 37goals two seasons ago?  Dumb as heck move for a prospect we will never see(remember Saarela?  Where is he?). Prospects never seem to work out for the Canes. Im not counting on garbage from Zykov.  

9 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Thank you for recognizing that I am saying that I think Skinner was basically mishandled. Some of it I think was due to the organization being desperate for a star/marketable player, some of it was due to the lack of accountability (even though we all heard the lip service), and some of it was just being cheap.

In the end things didn’t work out, and hopefully the organization recognizes and learns from its mistakes because like I said, they certainly deserve their share of the blame.

I agree with all of this. Well stated, Kyrule.

I'll just add that while the org wrongly tolerated Skinner's lack of D for far too long before BP called it out, so too did it fail in assuring that there was an immediate physical response anytime an elite player was targeted, be it Skinner or Staal or... uh... well, that about covers the elite players this org has had in the past 10 years. 

If/when Skinner (or Eichel) is targeted in Buffalo - or an elite player anywhere else in the league is - the guilty player/team knows an appropriate response is coming, as surely as every team in the league has known for a long time it wouldn't be happening here. As far as I'm concerned, everybody responsible for setting the team's tone - from JR to RF to Maurice to Muller, and yes, even our sacred cow, Brindy, now the last man standing of that old guard - bears some responsibility for the org's nickname in other markets: The Candy Canes.

It's only fitting that Roddy be the guy charged with growing this team some testicles, and I'm hoping - for the sake of the futures of the org's next crop of elite players who will be targeted (Aho, TT, Necas) - that he succeeds, starting in camp, and from puck drop on October 5 forward.

Edited by top-shelf-1
extraneous word
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

remember Saarela?  Where is he?

you could probably look it up, this being the internet and all.

Oh, wait: http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/aleksi-saarela-not-satisfied-with-goal-filled-rookie-year

So yeah... it's a little soon to call Aleksi a flop.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

25 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Im not counting on garbage from Zykov.

Because... he was the top goal scorer in the AHL last season? with a shooting percentage that hovered at or near an unheard-of 30 percent all year? 

I'm not disagreeing that the Canes have had more than their share of flop prospects. But the two you've singled out here are already putting up numbers that the Boychuks and Dalpes never did. 

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

you could probably look it up, this being the internet and all.

Oh, wait: http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/aleksi-saarela-not-satisfied-with-goal-filled-rookie-year

So yeah... it's a little soon to call Aleksi a flop.

Yeah it's funny you have guys on here writing kids off if they are not a factor in the NHL by the age of 19, and at the same time moaning about too much youth on the Canes.

• Like 1

As fans, we see the play, and we see the scripted interviews, but we never really know what goes on behind the scenes.  We only get glimpses.

There were many here quick to blame E. and Skins, myself included on many occasions.

But the team is involved too.  TD has to give these guys the tools they need.  I'm not seeing it yet.  And that worries me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Oh, and I wish they would have pursued that “Faulk is different” comment/line of thinking.

Yeah, I wanted for them to elaborate on how Faulk is different. I don't see a lot of differences. Skinner is a forward whose primary purpose was to score goals. He dipped in production of overall points and had a slipping season on his defensive side although he was number 2 in the NHL in take away's. Faulk is a defensive man whose main purpose is to play defense and who has the ability to score goals and lead the power play.. He did neither last year. From my perspective Faulk was the main player that needed to be traded out of the two of them. This stat is also interesting. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Agreed. No more futures and prospects (well...maybe a top notch goalie prospect).

Dundon also said it wasn’t about money but 6 million just came off the books. No more barely reaching the floor. Put that 6 million per to good use.

I think our prospect pool is pretty deep at the moment. I would still use our recent gains in prospects and package with Faulk for another froward. I know DW and TD have stated that they feel they are done making moves this off season but their ears should be wide open as I still think there is time between now and pre-season for teams looking for a RHD man. I still maintain that we need more fire power and am not comfortable that the Rooks are going to set the lamp on fire. With all of the talk about culture and the need for a two way forward, how do we know that Necas,Svech are going to play two way hockey in the NHL? The one thing I do now is that Ferland will play two way hockey.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah, I wanted for them to elaborate on how Faulk is different. I don't see a lot of differences.

It would of been nice if they had asked a followup on this. Hear Dundon's explanation in full. I think what the reference is to what Waddell has said that Faulk is not going into a FA year so the inference is the trade or lose scenario isn't in play at the moment.  Waddell also said or at least indicated Faulk was never in the need to trade conversation but if someone makes a deal they can't refuse anyone (except the chosen few) could be traded.

Dundon also indicated that the team could be done trading for the moment and this could be the team we see in training camp. I'm not sure I buy that. It sounds like a management statement covering the bases in case another trade can't be made. That would be the smart thing to say even if you are looking at other moves.

Anyway for whatever reason Skinner is gone and it looks like his absence should lead to an exciting and competitive training camp.

Are we done yet?