The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
caniac82-ch1

Faulk trade?

I was reading the thread about the Skinner trade. In that thread, there is a comment made about getting Saad in return for Faulk. Saad plays for the Blackhawks. I have not seen anything either. I was just asking if any one has seen a Faulk trade release? I could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, caniac82-ch1 said:

I was reading the thread about the Skinner trade. In that thread, there is a comment made about getting Saad in return for Faulk. Saad plays for the Blackhawks. I have not seen anything either. I was just asking if any one has seen a Faulk trade release? I could be wrong.

Hypotheticals 

image.jpeg.2846d5c6763f33a8f77674b7d6cd275b.jpeg " so ?  you are looking to trade faulk ? " image.jpeg.16f21d620205d67c1c60b59565b7fa9c.jpeg"  Yes . what ya got ? " image.jpeg.2846d5c6763f33a8f77674b7d6cd275b.jpeg" I got a busted VCR  that i found in a garbage can"  image.jpeg.4d2f568efbd1fefed0fc35adb45312a7.jpeg " We will take it !!! " 

Edited by Canesfanforever

11 hours ago, caniac82-ch1 said:

Please correct me if i am wrong, has a deal for Faulk been made, just not announced? I mean i know he is a trade rumor, but has a trade gone down?

Max Pacioretty for Faulk?

Can-AM, I don't think they will do it one for one, but we could put together a package and make it happen.  Perhaps MTL is being unrealistic in what they are asking for (Faulk + 1st)...  Maybe we don't want Patches for some reason, though I could not guess at what reason that would be.

With Skinner gone and the uncertainty of whether our goalies bounce back it’s nice to hang on to Faulk as potential trade bait for a GK if we need it.  If we don’t great. He becomes a mismatch for someone’s d on the point if he his playing third pairing.  It also allows us to have an experienced option to trade for whatever the committee sees as our immediate need once the season gets underway.

1 hour ago, Caniac-Ironman said:

With Skinner gone and the uncertainty of whether our goalies bounce back it’s nice to hang on to Faulk as potential trade bait for a GK if we need it.  If we don’t great. He becomes a mismatch for someone’s d on the point if he his playing third pairing.  It also allows us to have an experienced option to trade for whatever the committee sees as our immediate need once the season gets underway.

We need to move him for a scoring forward. Period. I still think it will be Saad, but the deal happens after hockey execs vacation ends (August). I have to think Waddell and Bowman meet to pin things down when they're in Traverse City for the Prospects Tourney.

I hear your concerns re goaltending, but I believe that with the Mrazek acquisition, our tandem will be determined in camp, where I expect Ned to surprise some people. 

On 8/4/2018 at 2:00 AM, Canesfanforever said:

Breaking news !!!  the newest Addition to the Carolina Hurricanes !  image.jpeg.4a1b1a2a8aeb6fa5f19168cadeb64073.jpeg

Pad it up and put in goal.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 7:50 AM, Can-Am1996 said:

Max Pacioretty for Faulk?

I'd even add a little if necessary, even knowing that Patches could go UFA next year. Hopefully he helps us get into the playoffs, but could always flip him at the deadline if appropriate.  But what are the odds that Faulk would waive for 2 years in Montreal?  I guess a bit better than him waiving for 2 years in Ottawa :blink:.

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

even knowing that Patches could go UFA next year.

Unless he signed an extension as part of the deal I can't see us trading away one expiring contract (Skinner) for another (Patches). There isn't much history with the committee but high risk/unknown reward doesn't appear to be high on the list..

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We need to move him for a scoring forward. Period. I still think it will be Saad, but the deal happens after hockey execs vacation ends (August). I have to think Waddell and Bowman meet to pin things down when they're in Traverse City for the Prospects Tourney.

I hear your concerns re goaltending, but I believe that with the Mrazek acquisition, our tandem will be determined in camp, where I expect Ned to surprise some people. 

Certinaly am not opposed to picking up a scoring forward. We have three question marks to address- scoring, who plays center and is the GK duo good enough? Free agency isn’t going to fill the gap and the Skinner trade is what it is now.

I like the approach both Necas and Darling have taken to their summer off season training.  With all the attention Darling is getting I am sure Mrazek will certainly be hungry to bounce back.  This could solve two of the three question marks as we currently sit although I think it is asking a lot of Necas. I do think Necas is better prepared for the challenge than Lindholm was at the time.

The forward situation is  eerily familiar to E. Staal days begging for help.  Is Saad the answer? I’m not so sure. Not against it as it brings in another experienced skilled forward. Personally I was hoping we would make a run at Neal. The term on Neal seemed about 1 year too long though.

We have a good asset in Faulk to use to fill a hole. I just hope the committee gets more mileage out of this last card we have to play.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Unless he signed an extension as part of the deal I can't see us trading away one expiring contract (Skinner) for another (Patches). There isn't much history with the committee but high risk/unknown reward doesn't appear to be high on the list..

Maybe, but it might depend on how much the trade was due to Skinner's expiring contract vs. changing the culture/ not wanting to re-sign him.  My opinion is based more on how important I think it is to get into the playoffs this year and mentoring / optimizing usage of Svech/ Nechas as it is on future returns (not that I think the committee would agree with me).  Matter of fact, not sure I see a team like the Canes as a likely long term landing spot for a player like Patches.  I'm guessing he'll be looking to lock into a long term deal, and I can't see  the Canes committing to that.   But I'm willing to invest in a year long rental (with the option to flip him at the deadline) in order to boost our playoff chances this year.  That's how important I think it is for the franchise to get in this season.  And, TBH, for a number of reasons I think that Faulk has got to go.  If we can land a top 6 roster player on a longer contract (like Saad), great, but I'd prefer a rental Patches to a futures package similar to what Skinner brought back.        

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Caniac-Ironman said:

And we have 4 RHD plus de Hahn, Slavin and Fleury, with any D prospects backed up in Charlotte. That’s. Lot of cap space to carry those 7 defensemen.

Does anyone think a Faulk trade may be on hold until Ottawa does something with Karlsson? The committee may believe Faulk will be worth more with Karlsson off the board. Unfortunately, Ottawa has the Jeff Skinner situation. If they trade Karlsson without an extension, the return falls dramatically. And some teams like Tampa may think they can wait a year and sign him for no lost assets. I think Tavares proved Ottawa has to get something done, but it is really dragging out. 

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Maybe, but it might depend on how much the trade was due to Skinner's expiring contract vs. changing the culture/ not wanting to re-sign him

We are all guessing on this but I would say the driving force behind the Skinner trade was a culture change. It was apparent from the end of the season someone wanted him moved. Still almost every time Dundon or Waddell talked about Skinner over the past couple of months they always mentioned his expiring contract.

One difference is I don't think  Pacioretty has a no trade so if it didn't work out or if it appeared we couldn't or wouldn't re-sign him it would make it easier to trade him at deadline.

I still don't think we would put ourselves back in the situation but you never know.

I’m in the camp that if we get Pacioretty for just one year, and he gets us to the playoffs, it will have been worth it. We need that monkey off our back, and will be playing a ton of young guys who need to taste playoff hockey sooner than later. If we can’t re-sign him, we’ll have cap space to look for a free agent, or consider a trade for a replacement, or maybe have a spot for another Checker ready to move up.

16 hours ago, Caniac-Ironman said:

I think it is asking a lot of Necas

This. 

Rask can play 3C, and while the committee has said they are okay with him in a diminished role, I'm hoping that's not what they'd prefer. I think the plan all along was for him to step in for Jordan in a few years; he certainly has the D chops to do it. Playing him at 3C with Necas on a wing makes all kinds of sense if there is still hope that a healthy Rask can eventually be that guy.

In a perfect world, Necas gets time on the wing, like Aho, before being thrown to the wolves in the middle. Few fans appreciate the physical demands of being an NHL center. It is by far the toughest position on the ice. Letting guys get up to speed on the wing is smart, and doing it as was done with SeaBass - by putting them with a vet to help make the learning curve less steep - is even smarter. Necas with Rask and Willy puts one rook with two vets, and Svech with Ferland and Staal takes care of the other. 

I'm hoping both Martin and Svech get the veteran support they'll need to have anything like the years many seem to have decided they are destined for.

15 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Does anyone think a Faulk trade may be on hold until Ottawa does something with Karlsson?

Based on the reporting I've seen, I think that - barring something happening with us on the Patch front - a deal is already in place with the Hawks of Faulk for Saad, to be finalized prior to camp. I think the Hawks are just waiting to see if they'll need a goalie too, given Crawford's questionable status. 

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Based on the reporting I've seen, I think that - barring something happening with us on the Patch front - a deal is already in place with the Hawks of Faulk for Saad, to be finalized prior to camp. I think the Hawks are just waiting to see if they'll need a goalie too, given Crawford's questionable status. 

Where did you see this?

1 hour ago, caniac82-ch1 said:

Where did you see this?

It's my conclusion, based on reports that Crawford may not be ready. Until Chicago knows for sure, they'd be foolish to move Saad, because his inclusion in a deal with another team might bring them back a keeper. But they pretty much have to give Crawford the summer to rehab, at least until they are confident he's ready--or worst case, for them to see proof that he isn't, in camp. 

Although reports are that they have already nixed sending us Saad for Faulk, the Hawks' primary need - assuming Crawford is okay - remains a top-4 d-man, as it was before they lost Forsling for the start of the season. Saad is someone they can afford to give up, though they'd rather not, because on a team with Kane and Toews, it's pretty clear that they benefit from a top-4 D more than than they did from Saad's 35 points and -10 last season. 

Saad has put up top-six numbers in the past--much like Faulk has put up top-pairing (offensive) numbers. 

Shorter: It's a fair swap that could help both clubs, and a change of scene that could help both players.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo