The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
caniac82-ch1

Faulk trade?

52 minutes ago, remkin said:

It should come as no surprise that I also hope that's wrong. If Fleury ends up being stunted by too much time in the pressbox then Faulk better be someone else than I've seen, because that could be the biggest tragedy of all. This is why Faulk just has to be moved. If we have to keep him though, we better have some sort of rotation that gets Fleury games. Just trade Faulk for crying out loud, we've got Bean in the wings too. 

This. And a year from now, we’ll have the same problem we had with Skinner ... lowered value due to only one year left on his contract. At best Faulk loses the C and drops to third pair defense. Doesn’t that lower his trade value and open the possibility of locker room conflict?

12 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

This. And a year from now, we’ll have the same problem we had with Skinner ... lowered value due to only one year left on his contract. At best Faulk loses the C and drops to third pair defense. Doesn’t that lower his trade value and open the possibility of locker room conflict?

I think that could be. I don't see how anyone can put him ahead of Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce or DeHaan, especially if we are talking about winning, and less ice time, losing the C and not being assumed to be a guy that gets top minutes might lead to some discontent for Faulk. I don't know about that, but it makes sense. And then more discontent could flare up from Fleury, who really had a pretty solid rookie year and was #7 overall pick in 2014, and the first D man taken after Aaron Ekblad, rides the pine? He needs to be playing.

The only logic I can see in Faulk still being here, is A. the offers have been bad. B. Injuries Some team loses a guy (Sekera in Edmonton) especially a RHD, and Faulk is willing to go there. Or something happens to Pesce, Hamilton or TVR, and we have depth. And I suppose C. We have to stay about the cap floor. 

As to part B. We have McKeown, who was supposed to be NHL ready like three seasons ago, and whom while he doesn't score a lot of goals has played very tight D and a good overall game and would be a solid bottom pair guy at a reasonable price. 

I can only imagine that teams simply aren't as into Faulk as we like to think, just like they weren't that into Skinner.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think that could be. I don't see how anyone can put him ahead of Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce or DeHaan, especially if we are talking about winning, and less ice time, losing the C and not being assumed to be a guy that gets top minutes might lead to some discontent for Faulk. I don't know about that, but it makes sense. And then more discontent could flare up from Fleury, who really had a pretty solid rookie year and was #7 overall pick in 2014, and the first D man taken after Aaron Ekblad, rides the pine? He needs to be playing.

The only logic I can see in Faulk still being here, is A. the offers have been bad. B. Injuries Some team loses a guy (Sekera in Edmonton) especially a RHD, and Faulk is willing to go there. Or something happens to Pesce, Hamilton or TVR, and we have depth. And I suppose C. We have to stay about the cap floor. 

As to part B. We have McKeown, who was supposed to be NHL ready like three seasons ago, and whom while he doesn't score a lot of goals has played very tight D and a good overall game and would be a solid bottom pair guy at a reasonable price. 

I can only imagine that teams simply aren't as into Faulk as we like to think, just like they weren't that into Skinner.

We could roll 7 dmen and utilize Faulk for PP time and other ozone moments.

21 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

We could. It just seems that very few team really do this for any prolonged period since it breaks up the 4th line and messes with the pairings and ice time on D. End up juggling lines up front and on D.

But I haven't really looked at all teams. Did any team use 7 Dmen regularly last year? I don't know.

I think it is highly unlikely we roll 7 D-men on a regular basis.

If we are trading Faulk. It still seems likely that we will but not a certainty. If we are trading Faulk but he starts the season with us remember Fluery is waiver exempt. He could start the season in the "A" and be the first call-up.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm with Top on this - if Faulk's still here come October, i wouldn't mind seeing a 'Faulk at RW' experiment.  We're deep on D, thin at RW, and Faulk plays defense almost as well as i yodel (for the record, i can't yodel).  Faulk's strength is in his scoring, so why not put him in a position to possibly do that without making him do rocket science in the D-zone?

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm with Top on this - if Faulk's still here come October, i wouldn't mind seeing a 'Faulk at RW' experiment.  We're deep on D, thin at RW, and Faulk plays defense almost as well as i yodel (for the record, i can't yodel).  Faulk's strength is in his scoring, so why not put him in a position to possibly do that without making him do rocket science in the D-zone?

Didn't Turbo very successfully play RW on the same line as Aho almost all of last season?  Add Svech and Willy and we're suddenly not so thin at RW. 

Faulk has a booming shot.  He skates ok for a d-man.  He handles the puck ok for a d-man.  While we wanted to get more "gritty", seems like we're still going with speed and skill as our primary offensive weapons . Moving Faulk to forward would seem to me like trying to force a square peg into a round hole.  I could see maybe trying it a couple of years ago when we were really short on skill up front, but I hope that we're way past the point where such an experiment makes sense for the Canes. 

Teuvo played the left side, they even had Zykov play RW during his call-up. Also, I think we added a ton of grit to compliment our speed and skill. Martinook, Ferland, Svechnikov, McGinn are all physical players. Three of those are capable of 20+ goals and possess high end speed as well. And that’s just with the forward corps. de Haan and Hamilton also use their bodies physically to join Pesce and Slavin’s edginess. I see a night and day difference between the grit level of last years roster and the roster shaping up for this season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Didn't Turbo very successfully play RW on the same line as Aho almost all of last season?

That's the great advantage of TT. He can play either wing. I suspect what wing he plays will be determined by if Aho plays wing or center.

21 hours ago, remkin said:

Just trade Faulk for crying out loud, we've got Bean in the wings too.

And Roland.

My money's still on a deal with Chicago assuming Crawford is okay. If not they may need Saad as a sweetener, for a keeper who can play at least 50 games from... somewhere.

9 hours ago, remkin said:

has played very tight D and a good overall game and would be a solid bottom pair guy at a reasonable price. 

And maybe more. He led the Frontenacs to a great postseason a couple years back as their Captain. He just carries himself like a leader, and has played serious minutes at every level.

I hear your frustration, Rem. I'm hopeful we're keeping Faulk here strictly to take the best available offer for him prior to camp.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

That's the great advantage of TT. He can play either wing. I suspect what wing he plays will be determined by if Aho plays wing or center.

Had to laugh at Nick Alberga's cluelessness re TT on Sirius last night. He and Boomer were talking fantasy and Alberga said that of the forwards some listener was asking his opinion about taking, of whom Aho was one, he recommended some other player who escapes me. Boomer was stunned, and said Aho has just begun to show what he's capable of, noting that he went without a goal in his first 15 games last year. So Alberga says, "Who's he playing with? Svechnikov? Zykov?" Boomer says, "Uhhh... how about Teuvo Teravainen?" Alberga: "Teravainen's let me down year after year."

TT scored .26 ppg in his first half-season, .44 in his first full, .51 in his next, and .78 last year.

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I hope that we're way past the point where such an experiment makes sense for the Canes. 

Provided anybody wants him, I agree, we should be. But that's the $64k question.

I'm not buoyed by the report last month that Chicago was not interested in Faulk for Saad, but hopeful it was just their way of delaying a deal while seeing what's up with Crawford. If this org were to come to a place where it believes paying Faulk $5 million to play third-pairing minutes over Fleury - to "showcase" him in hopes he'll up his game and be moved later in the year - makes more sense than either retaining significant salary in a deal or just buying him out, in order to remove his defensive liabilities from the back end, I'll have to wonder whether sense even has a seat at the Committee's table anymore.