The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Traverse City 2018: Sept 7-11, Stacked Forwards

I know Traverse City is sort of a prospect thing, but a lot of people don't go into that area, and this is a progression of the off-season moving towards hockey, so I'm putting it here.

Traverse City Prospects Tourney is set for September 7-11, in, well, Traverse City, MI, hosted by the Red Wings. Apparently officially the Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup, it is an 8 team tourney. Canes in Gordie Howe Division with Chicago, St Louis, Columbus while Minnesota, Detroit, New York Rangers, and Dallas in the Ted Lindsay Division.

Official Site here: https://www.centreice.org/page/show/483955-nhl-prospect-tournament

We have had good success here the last two years, having won two years ago.

Our lineup is dominant at forward, though its a bit of "Jake Bean and everyone else" on D. The forwards of note: Svech, Necas, Kuok, Gauthier, Saarela and Roy, but also watch for Geekie and Mattheos and I really want to get a look at Cliff Pu and see what we got for Skinner.

Helvig in goal should be solid, but I have no idea about camp invitee Mario Culina. 

Here is the full line up:  http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/299709896/binary-file/file.pdf

It's worth noting that college players and generally foreign playing guys do not play in this, so Fox, David Cotton, and others will not be there. 

While the D and goal has some unknowns, that forward list is off the hook. I'm looking for big things here.

I think we could stream these games last year. I haven't seen info on that yet, but haven't looked to hard yet either.

Since there's so precious little hockey to chew on, I thought I'd  bump this.This squad should light up the scoreboard. Starts this Friday!!!

• Like 2

I know they're WHL numbers...but Geekie and Stelios's numbers are pretty impressive...any chance they'll get a look in Charlotte this year?

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I know they're WHL numbers...but Geekie and Stelios's numbers are pretty impressive...any chance they'll get a look in Charlotte this year?

Geekie yes, Stelio no. Stelio has to do another year in the juniors because of age rules. Maybe he’ll get a look in the playoffs like Bean did.  Geekie is already signed to a deal, he was an over ager when he was drafted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Solid Article the day before the first game

Expecting Roy, Gauthier, and Saarela to dominate every phase, all game.  Good to hear him really challenging the squad. 

The part where Velucci talks about what Brind’amour and the organization want in terms of hard work, being physical, sticking up for teammates (yes, someone finally said it), winning board battles, etc., might be the quote of the year.

Just put that paragraph on the wall and point to it on an almost daily basis.

Note: It’s the final paragraph under the “firepower” section.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

Good point Krule. They are making sure that this message gets all the way down the system. And in this game they're making it clear they're not just looking at talent but desire and hard play. 

I loved the line that I'm paraphrasing here: "You can't dominate this little thing? How you gonna play in the NHL?".

We don't just want our studs that have been here before to win, we want domination.

Looking at the rosters for all 8 teams - CAR and STL are by far the two best rosters on paper.  Whichever team loses this game is probably out of the final.  So, IMO, a pretty huge game for the Canes squad's chances.

Very bummed to be at work during the first two games. Anyone know if Fox or the Canes site will keep the video for a while after streaming?

Either way, looking forward to a win, and people's impressions of the game!

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

Very bummed to be at work during the first two games. Anyone know if Fox or the Canes site will keep the video for a while after streaming?

Either way, looking forward to a win, and people's impressions of the game!

you can replay videos on fox sports go

• Like 1

Took heaven and earth to load and verify my account on the app, but I have it working.  The camera work is, uh sketchy, but

WE HAVE HOCKEY

Good guys up 2-0.  I missed the first goal due to the app log in problems.  Gauthier got the second on a PP with Svetch assisting.  Gauthier "walked in" on that nice assist.  I think they may have been focused on Svetch.  :)

Edited by wxray1

Still first period.  I can barely contain myself.    Geekie just had a mean pass from beyhind the net to the dead slot, but (not sure who) missed the net.

Oh, and now Roy rips off one just wide of the net. 

Damn, they look good. 

Keep it up boys.

Yeah, there are a few fans there too, but more Blues fans from what I can tell.  Canes are drawing power plays.    Svetch got off a shot and it was nicely blocked.   For better or worse, he reminds me of Ovenchicken, except on the right side, during the power play.  Kind of hanging out and beaver tailing for the puck.

No breaks.  The ice is gathering snow piles.

Edited by wxray1