The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Traverse City 2018: Sept 7-11, Stacked Forwards

1 hour ago, SuckaPunchd said:

That was rough. Geekie and Svechnikov impressed, as did Helvig. Other than that, suckage. Necas hasn’t impressed me at all yet, my biggest disappointment so far...

IMO a little harsh.  Gauthier has looked good.  Necas is fine and will benefit from higher skilled players on ice.  He's fit nicely with Svechnikov, who is heads above anyone else out there.

It's kind of hard to judge too harshly when you've got guys playing with new guys, and some other dudes you picked up at the bus station.  The defensemen couldn't make a simple outlet pass to move the puck through the neutral zone.  How effective are the forward prospects going to be when nobody can get a pass to them at speed?  After a while, they were all getting outworked.  It's a freakin' glorified exhibition game.

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

It's kind of hard to judge too harshly when you've got guys playing with new guys, and some other dudes you picked up at the bus station.  The defensemen couldn't make a simple outlet pass to move the puck through the neutral zone.  How effective are the forward prospects going to be when nobody can get a pass to them at speed?  After a while, they were all getting outworked.  It's a freakin' glorified exhibition game.

So the roster lists "Invitee" and "Camp Invitee."  Do I have this right?  There were some players invited just for this tournament?  And only 2 of them (D and G) will go onto camp in Raleigh?

Bus station pick ups indeed!

Edited by wxray1

Woah, woah, I’m not claiming everyone sucks in general, just saying most of the team pretty much sucked that game. And for pretty much the reasons listed as,well as the offense did fail to tie the game after Svechnikov shocked life back into the game with his sick snipe. 

I have not noticed Necas out there positively. It’s only been a couple games, but he has frequently been kicked out of face offs. His balance looks off, he’s fallen down randomly several times. Yes, it’s a tournament for prospects that doesn’t really mean much and there’s all the underlying factors in teammates being pick ups and unfamiliar, etc. It’s disappointing since he was expected to dominate in this tournament along with Svechnikov despite all that. I still think he’s going to be amazing, he probably needs camp and a good preseason game to get the legs moving right. 

And yeah, the Goat looks good too. I don’t think he’s going to make the team, but I think he is in prime position to break out in the AHL and score a lot gaining the ice time of whoever makes the leap (Zykov, Foegele, Wallmark, etc.).

Edited by SuckaPunchd

3 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

And yeah, the Goat looks good too. I don’t think he’s going to make the team, but I think he is in prime position to break out in the AHL.

The best part is that he seems to have accepted that, even as he competes to make the roster this year. Chip did a nice post-season piece on him and Bean, where he said the AHL has taught him persistence and patience:

“I’m human,” Gauthier said. “Sometimes, you play only five or six minutes a game and you wonder what you’re doing wrong. But you just have to stick to it and good things will happen for you. Things will work out.”

[snip]

“Everybody has a different path," Gauthier said. "It’s a matter of time for some people and sometimes it takes longer, but it doesn’t mean that you failed if it takes longer.”

• Like 2

I don’t see the Necas issues, seen plenty of very positive Necas talk from people who watch more hockey me.

Gauthier, I hope to see lengthy, full effort play from him in Charlotte.  Gauthier should be on the top line this season so hopefully we’ll see more from him. With the amount of rookies making the squad this year, I doubt he has a chance to make the squad.  The following season we could see another crop of rookies trying to make the team at the same time (Bean, Fox, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Gauthier, Roy, Geekie, Mattheos) with the non rookie Wallmark beating down the door too.

Edited by gocanes0506

Unfortunately I've been unable to watch these games, so can't comment on how Necas has looked. Of course I am expecting a lot from him this year in the NHL (for a rookie).

But it is great to hear that Gauthier is looking good. It is essentially impossible for us to really keep track of these prospects unless we go to a bunch of Checker's games. Further, it is human fandom nature to sort of assume that if a highly touted guy doesn't make the NHL team right away, he's a bust. But the quote above is exactly on point: "Everybody has a different path." It is absolutely still possible for Gauthier to find his game and become a very effective power forward in the NHL. He has a rare blend of size and skill.

He's also really a bit prototypical of a guy who might take a little longer. Big guys have historically taken longer, but also, his game, while high in skill, was not IMO high on hockey IQ and situational awareness. Clearly the coaches also though he needed more time to develop those skills as he was not getting ice time in the AHL at first. 

But if he is buying into what the coaches are selling, there is no reason he cannot put it together and force the NHL issue by the end of this year. It is also possible that he will push the issue in camp, as he was improving all year, and had a summer to work on things. 

And this would be a massive positive for the Canes to have another high skilled power winger out there to go with the one we just drafted. It is fun when these guys win the Tourney, but it is all about the few guys who can make a difference at the NHL level. If the guys don't win, but Gauthier emerges along with a couple of other guys, that's a bigger win.

My take FWIW:

Necas has been good at using his speed/skating to gain zone entry and has helped produce offensive chances. I think he is playing a complete game but there are times when his lack of man-strength is evident. I see little things here and there but I have no problem with Necas so far. Of course you would like to see more but since this is the first hockey guys have played for some time, I’m fine with how he looks. Having said that I do have to remember he and Svechnikov are rookies so I’ll have to temper my expectations if/when they make the big club.

As far as Gauthier goes, I’m still not impressed. He is good on the PP but other than that I still see a lot of standing around and an aversion to playing in his own zone. I think next year will be a turning point for him one way or another. If he’s coachable and commits to playing a more complete game, then I think there is something there. If not, he’ll continue to be a one dimensional player that may never make the NHL. He’s still a work in progress, a project IMO.

As a note, Sucka I do agree about the balance of Necas, I mentioned it before. My concern is that he plays so fast that one of his off balance moments is going to lead to an injury. I think it is something that will steadily improve though. You are also right about the faceoffs, he needs to stop going early and getting kicked out. This is an easy fix though (hopefully).

• Like 1

Columbus prospects taking plenty of liberties so far, really physical early... Canes scored but refs didn't catch it, so another tough break.

EDIT: They somehow went back and corrected it without the benefit of replay. Really bizarre chain of events, but it ties the game so I'll take it.

Edited by Stealth-ch1

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

Didn't see it, but seems like this particular Traverse didn't go as planned. 

Can’t bury PPs today and the piece mill defense killed the team for two games.  Spelled disaster.

25 minutes ago, remkin said:

Traverse didn't go as planned

Hope the guys got some valuable experience.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

the piece mill defense killed the team for two games

That's what I was wondering: except Bean and Fora, other names hardly rang a bell. Are they our only or best prospects? 

Helvig was the standout from what I saw. 

I hope all the invitees on D make it back to their invites to ECHL camps safe.

Julian Gauthier.  Still can't handle a pass cleanly and get the puck from his skates to his stick.  But lot's of meh to go around, considering "domination" was the expected if you believe Canes media.  None of Roy, Saarela, Kuok, etc. ever stood out.  Meh.

No big deal, it's just a short few games, but I didn't come away with "domination". 

Also, what a bus station D.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Hope the guys got some valuable experience.

That's what I was wondering: except Bean and Fora, other names hardly rang a bell. Are they our only or best prospects? 

Bean and Fora are ours, the rest are invitees.  We have a bunch of d prospects that are NCAA or European prospects that cant make the tournament.

• Like 1

You could see which players  we had  stood out  where as others had a lot of hardships .  But then again  it was kinda like this for the whole tournament  itself among other players  for the other teams also  .     Throwing in a lot of  new guys together and expecting or at least hoping for some chemistry  is  what this tournament  says more than anything about it.   You could make the case for  certain players on where they got  man handled   off the puck or made bad passes   or showed a lazy attempt  of work effort  in their zones   but  more than anything it  is a case of how they handle the pressure  of these scenarios  and   it seemed like  more than anything   that  this was the true test of this tourney  . To help weed out those  who have a willingness vs those that don't  to correct themselves .    VERY few  invites will  happen  now I believe for training camp this year .   

Svechnikov   relies on catching teams off guard  as a means to score his goals .   Necas  can skate well  with the puck   but that is after a fire has been lite  under neither him .  

Bean  shows  smart passes and skating  better in some keys  than Hanifin  ever did .   Helvig   can do well on pipe to pipe saves   but he can get caught sleeping some times . 

Im curious  what  the checkers coach must be thinking  now after 2 losses  and 1 win . 

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

None of Roy, Saarela, Kuok, etc. ever stood out.  Meh.

And I'm choosing to ignore the gaping net Necas missed from the left dot during the 6v5, with about 2 minutes left. (Although I guess, by mentioning it, I'm really not.)

Gotta say, that whole thing was a bit of a let down, especially after winning the first one. I guess you need defense. The good news is that the Canes should have that in spades.