The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

2018/19 Training Camp & Preseason

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not sure I'm allowed but that was a nice shot by 27.

Oh, you're allowed. You're WRONG WRONG WRONG of course... but you're allowed. :ohyeah:

Great game tonight. Lightning (sorry) round of observations:

- Carrick looks too much like Faulk. Dude. Shave. But completely the opposite of Faulk play-wise. He leaves it all out there.

- Slavin's gotta hit Katchouk along the half-boards, not let him pass and build up steam behind the goal. A well-placed hip check or even shoulder there saves that goal. Typically Slavin doesn't need to hit to be good, I'm hopeful this was just a little rust.

- Hamilton and de Haan, solid. 

- Maenalanen is fast, and big--a rare combination. He also plays D. He and Aho tried to hook up on a play just inside the offensive blue line early, and it almost worked.

- Best guys on the ice: Willy, Staal (he was robbed three times within about four minutes, late) Hamilton, Darling (though shaky early, he settled in and made some stellar saves in the second--and not a lunge in sight), Kouk, and Necas, although I liked him much better on the wing than in the middle. He got set on his keister a couple of times, hard. He just needs to fill out. In the meantime, let him use that blazing speed on the wing. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Ill see your observations and raise ya;

Foegele- hard working dude out there. Really wants it. With a couple more preseason games with similar efforts, he should make the squad

Smallman quietly got him 2 assists.  Another Foegele type guy that could be a serious roster contender next season.

Booth- got high praise from Forslund a couple of days ago because of his play.  He definitely showed some skill tonight.  

Darling- better than last season Darling but still somewhat worrisome.

Brindy will have hard decisions to make but I would like to see another prospect heavy squad out there on Friday to measure our next round of cuts.

So I have Aho, Ferland, TT, Staal, J Williams, Svech, and Necas inked into the top 7. Zykov would have to play himself out of #8, which I don't see happening. McGinn is on this team, so call him #9. Martinook seems like a likely 4th liner, or extra. Since we need a center, Wallmark should have the inside track for #11. That leaves one more spot.

Personally I put Foegele in there, though he can be sent down and could get more offensive time in Charlotte. I just like what he brings. I see him as a guy who could have a long career as that gritty third line winger who does all the little things, hits, grinds, and can put in 20 goals. Why wait? But most likely we put PDG there and Foegele goes back.

I like Kuok and he had three points tonight, but he's not someone to put on the 4th line, so I think he goes back, and Maelanen needs to show it in the AHL first probably.

• Like 1

Same comment as last game - We will see how they do against the full complement of another teams real(veteran) players.  Preseason is like wedding rehearsals.  A necessary thing but there will be no consummation until the real event.  Lets get past these without injuries,make the cuts and then win when it counts.

The one noticeable difference this year thus far is that we apparently are going to have our defensemen fully involved in the offensive game. I remind myself this is early in the training camp process and tougher days are ahead.  

I think Kouk made a big statement last night. If he shows similar poise against A-listers, I think it becomes hard to keep him off the roster. The scoring play between him and JWilly was a real grinding goal, Willy with second and third effort to push it into the zone, to the crease and to make the cross, and Kouk getting there for the finish. And both of his assists were primary.

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Darling- better than last season Darling but still somewhat worrisome.

I agree- he must be much better than this.  He must not only not allow any goals but score some points as well.  ROFL

• Like 1

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

let him use that blazing speed on the wing

Who will be the fourth center then, assuming we have Aho, Staal and Wallmark? May be Kuok - he is really noticeable.

I think pecking order will factor into the decisions somewhat. The "graduating class" from CLT is clearly Zeke, Wallmark, and Foegele. All pretty much earned a shot based on what they did in the A last year, and all are 22/23. Kouk, Goat, Roy are 20/21.

What becomes interesting to me is where PDG and McGinn wind up. The talent in the top nine could earmark both for fourth-line/PK play: 

Top nine:

Aho

TT

Staal

Willy

Svech

Necas

Zeke

Foegele

Ferland

Bottom three?

McGinn

PDG

Wallmark/Martinook 

21 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Who will be the fourth center then, assuming we have Aho, Staal and Wallmark? May be Kuok - he is really noticeable.

I think Necas and TT will split 3C duties. Wallmark 4C.

• Like 1

I think Zykov and Foegele are locks to be on the opening night roster.  PDG, while not great at anything, is a known commodity and can hold his own in a bottom six role or serve as the 12th/13th forward if needed.  I think Wallmark also makes the team.

I don't see Kuook or Goat on the roster.  No way.  I think both need another year in Charlotte, particularly GOAT.

From what I have seen then you have Saarela, Maenalanen, Roy, Smallman, Bishop, Pu, who are all in a lower tier to even make the NHL.

Also of note - PDG, Zykov, Wallmark and McKegg all have to pass through waivers to be assigned to Charlotte.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

I agree- he must be much better than this.  He must not only not allow any goals but score some points as well.  ROFL

I don’t believe that performance from Darling was perfect or even close.  Just because he didn’t allow a goal doesn’t mean he was the best goalie out there. Both Booth and the TBL goalie outplayed him.  He gave up rebounds on non screened shot, missed played one where it almost squirted in, got an early whistle that prevented a goal, and was out of position infrequently.  

The clearing of waivers is a good point, and part of why I think Zykov is a lock and probably Wallmark, who has the added advantage of being a center on a team full of wingers. 

I like Top's top 12/13. We carry an extra forward and D man. Martinook is this year's Brad Malone, in and out depending on injuries, his play, other's play etc. There are always injuries too. That is the group I'd pick.

Maelenen's size and speed are intriguing, but so far he has not shown displacement skills (knocking someone off the roster). Kuok absolutely could contribute in Raleigh, he is not pushing up with big AHL numbers, and he really needs to be a top 9 guy and there just aren't spaces there at the moment.

Foegele is the interesting guy to me. Foegele though IS pushing up with big AHL numbers, almost all 5 on 5 and with a very solid two way game. Foegele, as a rookie, had absolutely no problem with the AHL, where many rookies do. Watching the guy out there in the NHL, he's one those guys who fits the exact theme of the committee: he does the things that lead to winning. He impacts the game. Not at a star level, but at a consistently noticeable level. His hits are often disruptive, he wins puck battles, he's strong on the puck, and he can score. He plays the right way. If Brind'Amour wants to embody the idea that he will punish or move the soft players, and reward the opposite, putting Foegele on this team makes that statement loud and clear and will probably actually lead to more "winning things".

The problem could be numbers and contract status since Foegele can be sent down without losing him to waivers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t believe that performance from Darling was perfect or even close.  Just because he didn’t allow a goal doesn’t mean he was the best goalie out there. Both Booth and the TBL goalie outplayed him.  He gave up rebounds on non screened shot, missed played one where it almost squirted in, got an early whistle that prevented a goal, and was out of position infrequently.  

I pretty much agree.  I do think he "flopped" when he heard the early whistle.  Still very dangerous because you never know.

On thing I'm liking about Brindy is he tells it like it is.  How long will this last?  Will someone throttle him?  I hope not.  Last night:

1) He said Didier has a knee issue.  What, not lower body?   Looked like an ankle to me with that block, but what do I know?  Maybe Brindy is obfuscating.

2) On Darling, he said something like... The team was struggling with a 5 on 3 and that's when you need a good save, and we got it.  However, yeah, later you saw some things...

BP would have just said that goaltending is not the issue, it is a team game, or some other bs.

I'm not an expert on much, but certainly not on goalies. But then there's a point there. If I can clearly see Darling looking shaky then it must be pretty obvious to those who really know. On Brind'Amour's honesty, absolutely true, and when asked if he was comfortable with his goalie situation he said, "I have to be." 

I hope Darling can settle his style down. The man was #5 in save percentage in the NHL just two seasons ago. The guy that loses the puck in his skates, flops, and has no rebound control just could not have done that, could he? As I watch as of this moment, I keep thinking: Mrazek better be ready. But it's still very early and goalies can take time to get it together.

Its also worth pointing out that some observers (Adam Gold) thought that outside of his one lost puck, Darling looked good. He did stop a lot of shots. Still makes me nervous stylistically though.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I get it.  He sucks(currently) and only a miracle will change that.

Edited by cc

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Also of note - PDG, Zykov, Wallmark and McKegg all have to pass through waivers to be assigned to Charlotte.

Please help me here. It was probably explained 100 times here, but I am still not completely clear...

Aside of PDG and Zykov (who was on the NHL roster as of last season), were Wallmark and McKegg called up from AHL for pre-season? My impression was that pre-season is "evaluation", a team is free to move/assign them and having players playing in NHL doesn't count as a callup, which is not correct based on what you are saying... So even pre-season games are considered as a call-up from AHL and all rules (i.e. wavers) applied as for regular season?  

57 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Please help me here. It was probably explained 100 times here, but I am still not completely clear...

Aside of PDG and Zykov (who was on the NHL roster as of last season), were Wallmark and McKegg called up from AHL for pre-season? My impression was that pre-season is "evaluation", a team is free to move/assign them and having players playing in NHL doesn't count as a callup, which is not correct based on what you are saying... So even pre-season games are considered as a call-up from AHL and all rules (i.e. wavers) applied as for regular season?  

Unless they are waiver exempt  they need to clear waivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caniac514 said:

Please help me here.

Cap Friendly lists the following players in the Canes org as waiver exempt (I didn't cross check to see what players are in camp)

Svechnikov Necas Fleury Maenalanen Gauthier Bean Nedeljkovic Kuokkanen Geekie Helvig Saarela Foegele McKeown Pu Booth Smallman Lorentz Fora Roy Poturalski Bishop Wesley Renouf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

... and was out of position infrequently.  

Anyone remember the old days of Irbe??  Used to drive us nuts how he would wander around.  Although, I can't say he was really "out of position", but he sure didn't mind leaving the crease!  My biggest concern with Darling from last season is that it looked like his pads were made of rocks.  Rebounds never seemed softened to the point where he could gather them and freeze the puck.  Too many lost pucks sitting right beside him ready for a poke-in.  I didn't get to see too much of him last night so no real opinion formed on his efforts just yet.  

Edited by pepcane

On 8/18/2018 at 2:17 PM, Raptor1102 said:

Sucka.....best quote I’ve seen in some time.....”The way we look on paper is downright intimidating defensively, laughable in terms of goaltending, and mysterious in terms of offense.”  That sums it up!  Great post.

Darn great quote ... (hey y'all from the UK .. missing you all - hope to get to a few games this season) Conor (my eldest) is an NHL stat nut and he's been gradually bringing me over to the opinion that we have a real team this year - but this puts it perfectly .... 

I just dont want goaltending to be "the thing" this year - hope Darling has a good year - in person last year saw him flub and get replaced by Cam in P3 to the cheers of the PNC (and me too - no disrespect but wanted to win) it wasnt pretty and I wish him all the best this year. 

I am jumping all over Conors head about Svech (his stats are just scary) - don't say it out loud .. the difference for me is how many other teams fans are high on him - I cant recall that since Skinner maybe ... and that was half jokingly about his ice skating pedigree.

Zykov is my break out guy this year - saw him in person and on tv and liked everything I saw ... preseason so far ... not bad. I am allergic to optimism as far as the canes go. But roll on real hockey ...!

SP

PS GB Hockey qualifying for the top league was amazing this year - if you get a chance check out the highlights  (until real hockey starts) - rank outsiders and fairytale win to get to the top table...

53 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Unless they are waiver exempt  they need to clear waivers.

Thank you, OBXer. For me, it’s weird rule though - you want to evaluate a player risking to loose him to waivers?

Anyway, even if Wallmark stays, what to do with McKegg? 

1 hour ago, Caniac514 said:

Thank you, OBXer. For me, it’s weird rule though - you want to evaluate a player risking to loose him to waivers?

Anyway, even if Wallmark stays, what to do with McKegg? 

The criticism for the current rule is that it blocks NHL ready prospects from getting a roster spot because it is easier and safer to send waiver exempt players down than expose a roster player you may want to send down that is subject to waivers.